• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Definitely the first one of these that's made me seriously consider rolling an alt. Will probably depend on how sweet the animations are.

Morokh

Second picture confirms that they are still using the hammer animation when holding the weapon, which is no bueno for me.

It already looked weird on Revenant making staff look heavier than it should be when your character holds it, not to mention that staves held this way by Charr characters look way too small it's just ridiculous :(

EDIT :

There is hope left :p

Weapon-Skill-5-Vault-1024x576.jpg

Also, French translation team at it again with a shitty translated name : Daredevil = Le Fracasseur
which would translate as 'The Smasher' which still sounds way cooler in English than it does in French.

_woLf

So did anyone else see that IGN tweet or was it just me

edit: reddit has shown me that it clearly was not just me. what a fuck up by IGN :/

Morokh

Assuming this ends true I just don't understand why they didn't announce that the base game was going to go free when they announced the pre-orders and the price.

It would basically have killed the drama it created in the egg 「(°ヘ°)

Well do you think Free players will be limited to sPvP and WvW?

That way they can illuminate and strengthen the e-sport and WvW game modes, but keeping the PvE world for those who actually want to be engaged in that?

Quenk

I'm guessing that f2p accounts won't have access to sending mail or selling items on the tp.

Or maybe whoever wrote that tweet didn't know that the core game is currently free if you purchase HoT.

Rawk Hawk

Well do you think Free players will be limited to sPvP and WvW?

That way they can illuminate and strengthen the e-sport and WvW game modes, but keeping the PvE world for those who actually want to be engaged in that?

WvW could be tough, would they allowed to join our servers, or make 3 F2P servers and have them face just each other? Not sure, I don't WvW too much, and I certainly don't know tactics. But letting people make free WvW characters to spy on other servers may be something that would be detrimental to the mode. I guess spy on, or just fill them with bodies to prevent others from joining?

Free to play has to lock people out of the TP right? Everyone can have a million core game accounts now?

Yea I would think, if true, there would need to be large limitations to avoid issues.

nataku

Free to play has to lock people out of the TP right? Everyone can have a million core game accounts now?

All those daily login rewards.

They have to put in major restrictions if they want to keep goldsellers in check. Plus all the other issues related to WvW.

EDIT: Apparently they leaked a trailer, too, but took it down quickly. Sounds like it'll go F2P this weekend.

via Google indexing said:
Guild Wars 2 is officially free, meaning you can jump into Tyria right now.

Retro

"Raiding" is a pretty generic term and we don't know if that's the official name or what IGN slapped on it as a useful label. We have no idea what the group size is, how they will be organized, etc. Anyone who assumes traditional MMO-style raids are going to just be plopped into the game without the kind of changes ArenaNet is known for hasn't been paying attention for the last 3+ years. Really though, what did people think "challenging group content" was going to be?

Likewise with the free-to-play announcement, we don't know how this will be handled or even if it's true (Can't spell ignorant without I-G-N, etc.), the base game is technically free so it wouldn't really surprise me. This would be a good thing, in my mind; we've had a lot of GAFers show up in gaming-side GW2 / MMO threads asking if there was a trial. It means lots of folks can actually play the game to see what it's all about instead of the usual cast of familiar characters coming into our threads to spread their opinions and misinformation as fact.

However, having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if there was a level cap and a limit on where you can play (no WvW obviously, but PVE, PVP and EotM would probably be fine) or what you can do (no guild bank access, no TP access, etc.). We might even see the Megaserver system used to isolate free players from the rest of the community (otherwise, low-level map chat is going to get a lot more toxic than it ever was during the Queensdale train).

It's not like we have a long wait to find out.

Proven

Daredevil was pretty much what I guessed after hearing the name; a thief elite specialization that focused on endurance and dodging, and gaining physical skills because those skills were already retooled on Warrior to be specifically about interacting with your endurance bar.

I'm disappointed by it though, because rather than be a Type A or Type B specialization, it's a Type AB. It gets major mechanic additions (the extra 50 endurance), a two-handed weapon, easily build defining grandmaster traits, and all while having no cost beyond the initial loss of a core specialization just like everyone else pays anyway. I guess if anything it's closer to the specializations that only get an offhand, but I would have liked it if they did something with Steal or Initiative.

There's also a major chance in my mind now that the Engineer specialization will be setup the same way. Ranger is still up in the air though.

As for IGN... yeah. There isn't anything more to say about that.

Daredevil was pretty much what I guessed after hearing the name; a thief elite specialization that focused on endurance and dodging, and gaining physical skills because those skills were already retooled on Warrior to be specifically about interacting with your endurance bar.

I'm disappointed by it though, because rather than be a Type A or Type B specialization, it's a Type AB. It gets major mechanic additions (the extra 50 endurance), a two-handed weapon, easily build defining grandmaster traits, and all while having no cost beyond the initial loss of a core specialization just like everyone else pays anyway. I guess if anything it's closer to the specializations that only get an offhand, but I would have liked it if they did something with Steal or Initiative.

There's also a major chance in my mind now that the Engineer specialization will be setup the same way. Ranger is still up in the air though.

As for IGN... yeah. There isn't anything more to say about that.

I think with Ranger either the Utility Skills will be the "transformations" - Like you can transfer into a bear and a raven by using specific utility skills (working like a kit) or they are going to do the revernant thing with Legends, where your F skills is what shape you are "channeling".

I hope the staff skills themselves won't be what transforms you. Simply because, it would mean that all druids would have to run staff and that would ruin synergy with people who wanted to be shapeshifters with dif weapons or builds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm down for Daredevil. can't say I've ever played anything exactly like that an in MMO so that's cool.

Very bewildered by the F2P business. This doesn't just mean a free trial? Seems like a bizarre move.

Retro

Very bewildered by the F2P business. This doesn't just mean a free trial? Seems like a bizarre move.

We don't know what it is, so instead of everyone getting the info first-hand from ArenaNet this weekend at PAX and having an informed discussion, everyone is going off half-cocked and predicting the worst-case scenario based on a leaked tweet from a news source well-known for being disreputable.

Also, the gaming-side thread has unsurprisingly slipped into the usual "Airing of Trinity-related Grievances" mode.

I'm down for Daredevil. can't say I've ever played anything exactly like that an in MMO so that's cool.

My guess is it's basically just a limited version of the base game. No HOT content, maybe restrictions to chat/trading post/etc.

Retro

Dead

well not really...yet
I think with Ranger either the Utility Skills will be the "transformations" - Like you can transfer into a bear and a raven by using specific utility skills (working like a kit) or they are going to do the revernant thing with Legends, where your F skills is what shape you are "channeling".

I hope the staff skills themselves won't be what transforms you. Simply because, it would mean that all druids would have to run staff and that would ruin synergy with people who wanted to be shapeshifters with dif weapons or builds.
Ranger, different "aspects" F1 - F4, change utility slots like rev is a good call. I have a feeling that is what it will be.

Proven

Here's the thing about Druid. I do not think we're losing Pet commands. At best, Ranger will gain an F5. Otherwise it'll replace F2 and just like with Reaper or Dragon Hunter, it'll just keep trait interactions going as if nothing happened. There's also the option of them going completely out of left field and into the next stadium on this one. But Druid does not lose its Pet, so Pet commands are still necessary.

Wait, there is another option and that's if they revamp Pet controls completely. That can go in a multitude of directions...

VigilantWalrus' first suggestion of the utilities being transformations is more likely in this sense, with the transformations also having an effect on your pet. Would fit with the name Druid as well.

Does anyone mind if i share a little anecdote

I was playing this game back in jan 2013, and i was really thirsty and mentioned it in general chat
A lot of people kept asking how i could afford a computer that could play gw2 but i couldnt afford drinks
I didnt have an answer for them

Mxrz

So much trash gets spewed at my alt account in pvp. Not sure if its being a level 2, or just lower end play. Every pve/wvw thief has to give me an earful when their ego gets bruised. Rarely see it on my main anymore.

The gaming side GW threads are always odd. You see people proclaim that they loved GW1, hate GW2 cause of the pve, and want dedicated roles. Wat. I don't see how all of those can be true. GW1's pve was never anything close to the typical mmo. You didn't have a dedicated trinity there either beyond monks. Protection spells basically made anything into "front" liner, and aggro control was more based on the AI than anything the player did. You had junk like shadowform that was abused in UW for about a year, but using it else where generally went poorly.

Overall, GW1's pve always seemed closer to its pvp than anything like a typical wow/eq/mmo. GW2 is still closer to that then about anything. They just removed everything revolving around monks, which is something most people were screaming for.

If they want to complain about the skill/deck-building, heroes, instances, and the like. Sure. But trinity/raids/dungeons were never ANet's thing. people are weird.

Jira

So much trash gets spewed at my alt account in pvp. Not sure if its being a level 2, or just lower end play. Every pve/wvw thief has to give me an earful when their ego gets bruised. Rarely see it on my main anymore.

The gaming side GW threads are always odd. You see people proclaim that they loved GW1, hate GW2 cause of the pve, and want dedicated roles. Wat. I don't see how all of those can be true. GW1's pve was never anything close to the typical mmo. You didn't have a dedicated trinity there either beyond monks. Protection spells basically made anything into "front" liner, and aggro control was more based on the AI than anything the player did. You had junk like shadowform that was abused in UW for about a year, but using it else where generally went poorly.

Overall, GW1's pve always seemed closer to its pvp than anything like a typical wow/eq/mmo. GW2 is still closer to that then about anything. They just removed everything revolving around monks, which is something most people were screaming for.

If they want to complain about the skill/deck-building, heroes, instances, and the like. Sure. But trinity/raids/dungeons were never ANet's thing. people are weird.

Apparently people think body blocking/pulling/LoS is the same as hitting a skill that specifically generates threat. Oddly enough, GW2 now has taunting which is snap aggro and 1-2 sec or so. No one is going to be tanking something indefinitely, you'll just be able to split mobs or pull enemies off someone about to die.

Morokh

Interesting
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/SMS-Restrictions-and-New-Accounts

Gaile Gray said:
Posted in New & Announcements, but repeated here to ensure that new players are aware of this news:

As ArenaNet President Mike O’Brien detailed in a recent announcement, ArenaNet is committed to protecting your game account.

Effective at 11:59 pm Pacific Time on August 28, 2015, all newly-created accounts will have SMS restrictions. These restrictions mean that you will not be able to use in-game mail to send items or gold, and you will be unable to access guild vaults. If you wish to eliminate these restrictions, simply add SMS or an authenticator to your account and the restrictions will be removed. Account created prior to August 28 will not experience these restrictions.

Rogan

Banned
With no restrictions its possible to make unlimted accounts.

Unlimted laurels due to 'daily' chest.

Unlimited gold.

The tradings post will stop to exist.

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of restrictions for the free users when it launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom