• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Oh, that's not really a huge deal though. Wow does something similar iirc, we'll find out later today I guess.

Today is the Daredevil POI, the PAX announcements are tomorrow (unless you're in a different time zone and it's Saturday there, in which case, disregard
JUWnj.gif
).

Proven

1. Existing accounts aren't forced to add an authenticator, but we get a mini if we do. It's a huge one too.

2. I find it odd that you can use an authenticator to get around the restriction, because email addresses are worth literally nothing. Maybe they feel that the number of hoops are enough since it takes time, and they have a bunch of automated services that can go after less reputable domains... Still, this is so far only confirmed for new paying accounts, so I predict there will be at least one extra restriction for F2P/Trial accounts.

3. You can still access the Trading Post, but that might not be the worst thing? It means prices go down for us, as supply would increase fast enough to outstrip the current inflation. Still, it'd warp the economy and give gold sellers a way to earn goal that would also increase their incentive to jump through hoops for their myriad of accounts... I predict the extra restriction for F2P/Trial accounts will be on the TP.

Retro

Are they talking about it today or at the panel tomorrow?

Pretty sure it's tomorrow: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2the-journey-ahead-at-pax-prime-2015/

I predict the extra restriction for F2P/Trial accounts will be on the TP.

Yep, as serious as they are about keeping things secure and stable I wouldn't be surprised if Trial accounts are locked out of the TP and Mail permanently. The old data-mining from last year included some bits about a player rank, so I think those accounts will have to reach certain thresholds before even simple things like whispers and map chat are unlocked.

I'm not worried about it, they had free trials last year and it didn't cause a stir.

Pretty sure it's tomorrow: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2the-journey-ahead-at-pax-prime-2015/

Yep, as serious as they are about keeping things secure and stable I wouldn't be surprised if Trial accounts are locked out of the TP and Mail permanently. The old data-mining from last year included some bits about a player rank, so I think those accounts will have to reach certain thresholds before even simple things like whispers and map chat are unlocked.

I'm not worried about it, they had free trials last year and it didn't cause a stir.

Don't you know, going f2p means the player who paid lost out on 50 to 100 dollars.

Retro

Don't you know, going f2p means the player who paid lost out on 50 to 100 dollars.

Sarcasm aside, I can't think of any game that paid players back or offered up perks when it was discounted later. Nobody raises a fuss about "Game of the Year" editions with all of the DLC included for a discounted rate, right? Or has that become a thing while I've been away from consoles?

I also don't think it's going Full F2P, it's much more likely to be a trial version with a low level cap.

they should have at least recognized us by giving us discount on the expac, or give us the only users to buy them through gems.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I thought the benefit of having bought the game three years ago is that we've had three years of enjoyment out of it instead of having to wait. I mean, you could even make the case that active players received the second season of the Living Story for free while new players will have to shell out $20, but still...

Quenk

Sarcasm aside, I can't think of any game that paid players back or offered up perks when it was discounted later.

I've only heard of something like that happening if the game had some sort of lifetime membership thing. I want to say it was Star Trek Online that gave players that had the lifetime membership a bunch of perks when they went f2p

Jira

It's exactly what I tweet back to them.

Unless date got leaked by European sites or something.

Really, I'm confused. They don't announce this on stage tomorrow at PAX, or a blog post, but Twitter. Fucking game "journalism". It wouldn't surprise me if IGN knows about the date. They likely did this for the 3rd anniversary but it would have been cooler to hear it on stage tomorrow. Release dates are always more exciting to hear on a stage than to see it randomly, completely unexpected on a website.

Morokh

I'll definitively NEVER understand how they do their announcements ..... it just doesn't make sense to me.

But at least now we know :p

Proven

They didn't even wait for today's stream, or tie it into a blog post. Either there's a leak somewhere like Jira suggested or they just reached a major milestone within the office and wanted to celebrate immediately.

Anets presence in the PAX Prime expo hall is very small, they have two computers in the Corsair booth with the current live game (no demo for the expac) :(.

I wonder what they're going to announce tomorrow if they've already announced the release date and had the f2p thing leaked by IGN :|. CGC for sure, but they have a full hour, what are they gonna talk about for an hour

nataku

Hopefully they have good videos on it and it's not just them talking forever on a stage like when they announced HoT.

I was hoping for some live gameplay, like with Taco.

Jira

Hopefully they have good videos on it and it's not just them talking forever on a stage like when they announced HoT.

I was hoping for some live gameplay, like with Taco.

Well it's possible they are going to actually be on a stage, but it's more like a shared announcement stage? I dunno.

They didn't even wait for today's stream, or tie it into a blog post. Either there's a leak somewhere like Jira suggested or they just reached a major milestone within the office and wanted to celebrate immediately.

Today is the official 3 year anniversary, maybe someone at ANET got really drunk during the 3 year anniversary celebrations and just had to share the release date!

Jira

People are saying that this may have been leaked on accident.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3iqsh5/hot_release_date_is_october_23/cuishuw

People are saying this isn't showing up on the actual twitter account and may have been set to release at a certain time, but released early. FFS, stop writing up information you DO NOT want to leak before you actually announce it. (directed at gaming sites in general).

https://twitter.com/pencildow/status/637299374981279744

That person there tweeted dulfy as this whole thing was unlisted. Now look at this:

https://business.twitter.com/help/promoted-only-tweets

Promoted-only Tweets are Promoted Tweets that are only shown to users targeted in your advertising campaigns. Unless specifically targeted, Promoted Tweets do not show on your followers’ timelines. When seen by a targeted user, they act like normal Tweets and can receive replies and be shared, retweeted, favorited, etc.

This says to me that SOMEONE outside of the company had access to this information, had a link to the tweet, and it wasn't meant to be tweeted until tomorrow.

I feel so bad for ANet, they probably had CGC, F2P, and this lined up for a big announcement and now all that's really left is details on CGC. I think ANet's PR/Marketing needs to take a real hard look at just who they give information to because whoever they give info to can't hold a fart.

nataku

Yep, I saw that it wasn't on the GW2 feed and thought it might have been an accident, but I figured I didn't understand how twitter works enough since I never use it so I ignored it.

Wonder if they even acknowledge it on the Daredevil stream.

Feels weird that they decided on release date without even doing the any betas with last 2 specilizations.

I hope they gave themselves enough time to fix any issues they find from bwe2 and bwe3.

Jira

Wonder if they even acknowledge it on the Daredevil stream.

Feels weird that they decided on release date without even doing the any betas with last 2 specilizations.

I hope they gave themselves enough time to fix any issues they find from bwe2 and bwe3.

I'm guessing since Druid and Forge were the first announced, they've had the most internal testing so they're worried the least about them? I'm sure we will get a BWE3 just to have testing done for all specs. There's plenty of time.

Rawk Hawk

Daredevil looks pretty fun, I look forward to using that elite in PvP. Will have to start playing some thief to get accustom to their play style.

Morokh

Daredevil looks like it will be a lot of fun to play.

I just wish someone at Arenanet would realize that the re-used hammer animations need to be tweaked/changed.
Looking at the stream it's like the character walks in slow-mow when moving around with the staff in hand and as soon as he starts using skills it feels like suddently he activated super-speed or something ....

Trey

Daredevil looks like it will be a lot of fun to play.

I just wish someone at Arenanet would realize that the re-used hammer animations need to be tweaked/changed.
Looking at the stream it's like the character walks in slow-mow when moving around with the staff in hand and as soon as he starts using skills it feels like suddently he activated super-speed or something ....

I didn't even see it and I agree. Reusing hammer animations, nah cuz. Staff used in this manner deserves its own touch.

I'm guessing since Druid and Forge were the first announced, they've had the most internal testing so they're worried the least about them? I'm sure we will get a BWE3 just to have testing done for all specs. There's plenty of time.
It is obvious that since Colin's main is an Engineer he has told the team to spend the most time on it and not fuck it up. It will be the best Espec for pve, pvp and wvw.

Levyne

Banned
Got to meet Gaile again and ran to Mike Zadorojny randomly, I just wanted to ask about where he got his t-shirt, didn't know who he was. Talked to him about new fractal stuff and the expansion in general. We were super far away from the Corsair booth that ANet is using so it was a cool chance meeting. Hopefully will meet with more devs tonight to
try to pull Druid information from them

5il3nc3r

Anets presence in the PAX Prime expo hall is very small, they have two computers in the Corsair booth with the current live game (no demo for the expac) :(.

I wonder what they're going to announce tomorrow if they've already announced the release date and had the f2p thing leaked by IGN :|. CGC for sure, but they have a full hour, what are they gonna talk about for an hour

Forgive my ignorance but what is CGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom