• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 6 ☆

Event #6 - Sorrow's Embrace
Explorable Paths 2 and 3

Required Character Level: 65
Required Zone: Dredgehaunt Cliffs

Recommended Gear:
-Powerful Potion of Dredge Slaying
-Sigil of the Night

All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

For each full party that completes a given week's dungeon run, five gold will be added to a raffle from which one participant's name will be drawn. So if five parties complete the event, you have a chance at winning an extra twenty-five gold! The more people who show up, the more money you can win!

We will be thinking of small bonus challenges each week to announce randomly during the events, which will award more prizes, so be ready for those too!

☆ CURRENT EVENT SCHEDULE ☆

#1 - July 26 - Ascalonian Catacombs
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

#2 - August 2 - Caudecus's Manor

#3 - August 9 - Twilight Arbor
Story Path and Explorable Forward/Up Paths

#4 - August 16 - Twilight Arbor
Explorable Aetherpath

#5 - August 23 - Sorrow's Embrace
Story Path and Explorable Path 1

August 30 - PAX Prime
*BYE WEEK*

#6 - September 6 - Sorrow's Embrace
Explorable Paths 2/3

#7 - September 13 - Citadel of Flame

#8 - September 20 - Honor of the Waves
Story Path and Explorable Path 1

#9 - September 27 - Honor of the Waves
Explorable Paths 2/3

#10 - October 4 - Crucible of Eternity

#11 - October 11 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 1/2

#12 - October 18 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 3/4​

*DATES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL THE WEEK OF THE EVENT AND MAY BE RESCHEDULED IN CASES OF UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES*

☆ DUNGEON MASTER CHALLENGE ☆

Any guild members able to attend all dungeon paths will be eligible for an even split of an extra two hundred gold prize! The fewer people who complete this challenge the more valuable your dedication and hard work becomes, so don't give up!

In the potential case that no one was able to show up for all of the paths, a reduced reward will be given to the guild member(s) who managed to attend the most weeks. So it's still worth giving it a try, even if you know you'll miss some weeks!​

You're in, you've accepted, and you're representing, so my job here is done.

GqsbUrk.jpg

Retro

I wonder if we'd get enough members for a EU GAF Guild. I'd love to play with you, but your activitivies are practially at night for me.

When Heart of Thorns is released, they're changing the way guild missions work; instead of being a consumable that must be built and can potentially be wasted if the randomly-selected event fails, missions will instead be on a pre-set rotation that can be run as much as players want.

That means that Guild Missions can be run at any time, by any number of people, and there's no cost or penalty. If someone would like to run guild missions at a more convenient time for EU players, we are definitely open to working something out. We want to be as accommodating as possible, it's just that for the majority of players the current mission times worked out best.

In the mean time, as Thorgal mentioned, we're really reluctant to encourage a splinter guild that separates people between data centers. Not only is there the transfer cost (most of which we've collectively paid for through donations) but I would hate for everyone to get fired up about a new EU Guild only for someone to leave / lose interest / whatever, leaving folks stranded again. I don't have an exact number on how many EU players we have, but if the group did splinter off, there's no way for NA players to help with missions if they don't have the numbers for something (12 is the minimum I'd recommend for most missions, but more people always helps). Staying together on SBI means that if EU players are having trouble, some of us can arrange to stay up a little later to help.

Sorry to kind of ramble on like this; it's something has has come up before though and we've unfortunately never been able to get something organized. That should hopefully change. Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas or want to offer some assistance though. That goes for anyone else, if you guys feel like we're not accommodating you let us know; we're always available.

Perfect
JUWnj.gif

Does the controller instructions in the OP
Work using Windows 10?

I'll let Hawkian know you asked (it's his setup) as soon as I see him, he'll be able to clarify further.

Do we know anything more about armor selections?

1) New Armor with the Guild Hall system (with an additional upgraded variant)

2) New Armor with the four HoT based map (with presumably a new upgraded variant)
< I assume it will work like Silverwaste. Event completion and token requiring to trade with a vendor, in a light, medium and heavy variety (caprice) and then with a more SFX-induced version (illum).

1. There's a Guild Armor set that's unlocked via Guild Halls, as well as two new weapon sets. I'm not sure if there's an upgrade variant for it or not, I don't remember hearing that but there's been so much news it could have slipped through.

2. The new site says "you'll earn and build two new armor sets with unique looks for light, medium, and heavy armor," I'm not sure if there will be an upgrade method for those either. It also says "five new weapon sets, and over 60 unique additional item skins, miniatures, and more," so.... I think that's pretty good.

Is there any chance that the default armor and weapon drops in the HoT maps of White, Blue, Green and Yellow variety will be completely new models, than then ones we are used to?

Yeah, during the BWE I had a blue item drop from a new skin set, makeshift weapons.

In other MMO expansions they save the good looking stuff for end game, but the way we collect and in the wardrobe, means that they could introduce new cool low level armors and they would be worthwhile all throughout.

Well, all of the Maguuma stuff is level 80, and since there's no level cap increase there's no 'low level' section of the new region. I don't think they'll have the new skins drop in Central Tyria either.

The new skins are likely tied to each region, or there's a different skin type for fine, masterwork, rare and exotic tiers. We don't know how it will work out yet.

So anyone still plays on EU servers?

I believe there are still a few who were reluctant to leave, but I cant remember who off the top of my head, sorry.

1000 bolts of silk isn't exactly whistling Dixie. Why not gossamer & jute? Ascended armor is already keeping Silk, linen, wool and cotton up. If they're going to use mid and lower tier mats then they need to rethink the looting system. Expecting everyone to keep level 30-55 alts for bag opening is silly.

Yeah, I dunno how everyone else is doing, but even as a hoarder I don't think I could drop 1k silk bolts any time soon. I do think that we'll see other materials incorporated though, this is just one example (and even this example includes iron, just... in box form).

I'm hopeful that the Map Bonus system will incorporate unrefined materials instead of just the bones / blood / fangs / etc. we've seen so far.

Qurupeke

I think this is what I give here: Ichinose.8169

Unfortunately, I'm on EU Servers it seems. I didn't notice when I had to choose servers.

Also, first time I died was because of a deer.

Unfortunately, I'm on EU Servers it seems. I didn't notice when I had to choose servers.

If you delete your character(s), you can change servers for free.

You can still use guild chat with the NA players if you join the guild now, however.

Retro

You can still use guild chat with the NA players if you join the guild now, however.

To add to this; your bank and wallet are account wide so if you delete your characters, you won't lose the gold / crafting materials or any items you place in the bank.

Qurupeke

Hmm, I don't really feel like deleting the character. I made some progress the last 5-6 hours and this will really bum me out. I'm eager to join the GAF guild though and hopefully I'll find some EU servers GAFfers.

You stole my joke.

:D

1. There's a Guild Armor set that's unlocked via Guild Halls, as well as two new weapon sets. I'm not sure if there's an upgrade variant for it or not, I don't remember hearing that but there's been so much news it could have slipped through.

2. The new site says "you'll earn and build two new armor sets with unique looks for light, medium, and heavy armor," I'm not sure if there will be an upgrade method for those either. It also says "five new weapon sets, and over 60 unique additional item skins, miniatures, and more," so.... I think that's pretty good.

so 2x new armors = That is 6 armor sets. (2 sets, in light, medium, heavy)

Then it becomes 9 armors with the Guild Sets. (light medium, heavy)

That's.. that's okay, but the base game came with over 40! I guess it will be 12 if we cont the precursor legendary pieces that will drop from raids in light, medium and heavy variants.
then we're at 12 armors. And possible 15, if this makeshift weapon set you're talking about, has its own armor as well. (I guess it's possible).

The 60 unique additional items, I understood as backpacks and randomly-things (like the token weapons and one-armor piece from each elite specialization), not really armorsets per se? But I guess that is possible.
I guess it could be worse, in the sense that Nightfall and Factions didn't launch with that many armors either, and they lacked in variety, though I think there were fewer misses, as each armorset corresponded to each profession. But then again, loot variety and armor was not one of the strengths of GW1. Quite the opposite.

Do we still don't know if elite specialization can be unlocked from lvl 1 or from lvl 80 or once mastery is begun? I want to lvl thief, but I would prefer to go all the way from lvl 1 with staff if it possible. Somehow I doubt that thou.

Thorgal

tip ,( i assume you are new ) you can delete all your characters and you can switch servers for free ( don't worry about your toons names getting lost , they will be reserved for you for 24 hours so you can immediately reuse them .

also everything that is stored in your bank also transfer with your account so nothing valuable gets lost .

Hmm, I don't really feel like deleting the character. I made some progress the last 5-6 hours and this will really bum me out. I'm eager to join the GAF guild though and hopefully I'll find some EU servers GAFfers.

We're all on US- I'll say (I played on Underworld) that it is easier because english is the methodological language and everyone expects you to understand. There was some problems in random groups and fractals when people didnt understood on EU.

The GAF guild does missions on saturday evenings. It's around 2-3 AM our time, so its quite late, but if I am out I can sometime make it home (drunk) and still do missions before I go to sleep. Its also pretty good to sober up and reduce the hangover. the gaf guild is pretty helpful when you're drunk and struggling getting through the jump puzzles.

5-6 hours is nothing. Come over here to US! I deleted my first lvl 80 back at around launch! its not really that significant when you might be playing for thousands of hours. GW2 rewards you for just playing. It's a drop in the bucket^^

Retro

Guild Make-up Missions in one hour!
For our new / returning players, Guild Missions are a type of special guild-activated event that rewards a unique currency, Guild Commendations. While we determine which type of mission we start, which specific mission we get is randomized. Because of this, we can't guarantee which level range our missions will fall into.

Don't feel bad if you can't make it to missions, however; we've been running them twice weekly for two years now and we won't be stopping any time soon. You'll be able to come along on missions soon enough (and they're getting overhauled in 53 days anyways!)

That's.. that's okay, but the base game came with over 40!

That's true, and the base game also shipped with a lot more zones and 5 more playable races and 7 more professions than the expansion too.
JUWnj.gif
It's an expansion; it expands upon the base game.

Having said that, I think we'll also see more zones and armor sets introduced via the Living Story. One of my least favorite things about expansions (and the reason I didn't want to see GW2 go that route) is that they take a long time to develop (so the community starves for content) and then dump everything on the players at once (who greedily consume it and then demand more). The Living World, on the other hand, has a nice, even pace that gives stuff like the Luminescent armor room to breathe.

Different strokes for different folks, but I prefer the "always something new about to happen" approach versus the content explosion of an expansion. Maybe it's just because I've been burned out by the expansion rush so many times before.

Do we still don't know if elite specialization can be unlocked from lvl 1 or from lvl 80 or once mastery is begun? I want to lvl thief, but I would prefer to go all the way from lvl 1 with staff if it possible. Somehow I doubt that thou.

You have to be level 80 for Elite Specs to unlock.

The GAF guild does missions on saturday evenings. It's around 2-3 AM our time, so its quite late, but if I am out I can sometime make it home (drunk) and still do missions before I go to sleep. Its also pretty good to sober up and reduce the hangover. the gaf guild is pretty helpful when you're drunk and struggling getting through the jump puzzles.

We also run them Sunday Afternoons, which I believe would be 8-9pm your time, unless I'm mistaken?

Ok, you persuaded me. I just have to delete the character, right?

Yep, but if you have any non-soulbound items, you can stash those in your bank for the new character.

Fishious

Ok, you persuaded me. I just have to delete the character, right?

That is correct. If you have no characters you'll be able to select a new home world. Before deleting the character be sure to put any non soulbound items in your bank and salvage the soulbound stuff for mats if you can (you can't salvage level reward items). Anything you bank will be available for your new characters.

Edit: And we all answer at the exact same time...

So raids confirmed? All I need really now is ANet's response regarding the zerging meta; raids are great to have in but ultimately won't mean anything if the zerg meta is going to persist.

Retro

Edit: And we all answer at the exact same time...

We're just obnoxiously helpful.

So raids confirmed? All I need really now is ANet's response regarding the zerging meta; raids are great to have in but ultimately won't mean anything if the zerg meta is going to persist.

You mean the Zerker meta? Raids are capped at 10 players so you can't zerg them.

If it's the former, we'll have to see. The zerker meta is basically "The best defense is a strong offense" taken to a suicidal extreme where you basically burn the boss before they burn you. With raids being advertised as more difficult, I can't see people putting up with the glass cannon approach for long. What'll likely happen is, people will get the tar kicked out of them, change their build / gear for more survivability, and then once they learn the fights and get better at them, switch back to zerker gear to improve their completion times. I don't see raid bosses being something you can bait into a corner and stack on.

Qurupeke

With no characters, the World Select option is grey. Unless I'm missing something the region in the official page is Europe and it seems I can't change it. Is it because the account is free?

Zeroth

With no characters, the World Select option is grey. Unless I'm missing something the region in the official page is Europe and it seems I can't change it. Is it because the account is free?

That's weird, when you create a new character do you get a new prompt to select a world? Accounts are not region locked in any sense, so this is a bit confusing

Levyne

Banned

What do you mean zerg meta. This might seem obvious but if you just mean the combat system itself it's not like it's going to be overhauled.

If you're interested in the actual Meta for 5 man stuff, a lot of that is still being tweaked from the last changes to the professions and traits. Of course, 10 man stuff will be a whole other beast, especially with elite specs thrown in the mix.

If you mean the zerker meta, I think specing heavy into damage will always be vogue. But even condition builds are more viable now too, at least for engi and warrior iirc. But we know so little to really say anything.

What do you mean zerg meta. This might seem obvious but if you just mean the combat system itself it's not like it's going to be overhauled.

If you're interested in the actual Meta for 5 man stuff, a lot of that is still being tweaked from the last changes to the professions and traits. Of course, 10 man stuff will be a whole other beast, especially with elite specs thrown in the mix.

If you mean the zerker meta, I think specing heavy into damage will always be vogue. But even condition builds are more viable now too, at least for engi and warrior iirc. But we know so little to really say anything.

Yeah I meant the former where either people stack in a corner and beat mobs to death or people stack as a group beating mobs to death. Said aspect is heavily prevalent in dungeons and even fractals. I know ANet can make PvE content which separates people into different mechanic roles (see Teq/Triple Wurm/Silverwastes) but that exists within large groups and aren't particularly hard or challenging.

Qurupeke

I made a new account to the right servers. I hope this isn't against the TOS of the game...

The account is Ichinose.9052. I finally hope I'll play with the rest of you!

Yeah I meant the former where either people stack in a corner and beat mobs to death or people stack as a group beating mobs to death. Said aspect is heavily prevalent in dungeons and even fractals. I know ANet can make PvE content which separates people into different mechanic roles (see Teq/Triple Wurm/Silverwastes) but that exists within large groups and aren't particularly hard or challenging.
Stack in a corner and wail is actually slower and less efficient. Unfortunately most pugs and noobies arw not up to date.

Zeroth

I made a new account to the right servers. I hope this isn't against the TOS of the game...

The account is Ichinose.9052. I finally hope I'll play with the rest of you!

Gotcha, I went ahead and removed the EU one. Same as before, hit G, click on accept and represent.

Retro

I recently back to the game after a year out. Can I get an invite to the guild please. kafiend.9284

Invite sent, pressing "G" to open up the guild panel to accept the invite and click "represent" to join in. /g is the shortcut for guild chat. Welcome!

Quenk

That hasn't been the meta for months. Groups fight bosses where they spawn. They fight in melee range for boon sharing and being able to efficiently use skills like projectile defenses.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if we'd get enough members for a EU GAF Guild. I'd love to play with you, but your activitivies are practially at night for me.
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but, though much of out primetime activity might be well out of your playing hours, our Sunday makeups for guild missions are in the afternoon EST; ~9:00PM BST, if that is at all doable for you.

edit: bleh sorry.
Does the controller instructions in the OP
Work using Windows 10?
I don't know yet, unfortunately. I just got Win10 on my Surface on Friday and I haven't tried running GW2 on it yet. Fingers crossed.

ay im downloading this game right now
what are the best resources for this game? (guides, interesting articles, etc.)
If you need to know about something, you can type " /wiki" followed by the thing you want to know about in your chat box.
The command will take you to the wiki.

You can also check out dulfy or ask in guild chat.

It doesn't really matter, the only thing I lost was essentially the name. In much less time I surpassed the original.

Thanks guys for the help, the game is really fun. And the Elementalist class is really awesome.

After 24 hours, the name will be available for you to take back on a different account (assuming you deleted the character on your first account).

If you stick around long enough to make it all the way to level 80, I'll buy you a name change contract.

After 24 hours, the name will be available for you to take back on a different account (assuming you deleted the character on your first account).

If you stick around long enough to make it all the way to level 80, I'll buy you a name change contract.

Damn, I tried to persuade you too Quru - I'll chip in on that name contract too, if you get to 80. Either by sending gems to Ike or gold or something.

Back from vacation! And back to school.

I'll still play a bunch, though. It was a good break from the game, my obsession over Silver Doubloons was starting to wear me out.

I think Free-to-Play will have a positive effect on PvP more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom