• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I managed to take a nap during makeups / fractals. :(

u7JY7u4.png

You're doing the lord's work.

Indignate

Played a whole hella alot already.

Believe I played a bit with Qurupeke after he switched over along with some gaf vets. I think Retro was the one giving out free Kitties.

Having fun with Necromancer. Death Shroud is all kinds of awesome.

Proven

1000 bolts of silk isn't exactly whistling Dixie. Why not gossamer & jute? Ascended armor is already keeping Silk, linen, wool and cotton up. If they're going to use mid and lower tier mats then they need to rethink the looting system. Expecting everyone to keep level 30-55 alts for bag opening is silly.

I mean, we have the map reward system coming in, and it's not like one person has to drop 1000 bolts on their own. If 50 of us can collect 20 bolts across a week of play, then we should be fine. Plus, new and F2P players will consistently be stimulating the lower end of the economy.

Well, I guess it depends on what the upgrade afterward is.

Wanderer5

Guess the mortar animation change was around since tuesday. Also the hell is with the new warhorn sounds? Why Anet, why make it sound like wet farts?:|

Retro

Played a whole hella alot already.

Believe I played a bit with Qurupeke after he switched over along with some gaf vets. I think Retro was the one giving out free Kitties.

Having fun with Necromancer. Death Shroud is all kinds of awesome.

I just bought some minis, Ike was the one helping out the most.

Isn't there an European GAF guild?

I wanna get back in this game !

There is not, but we have room for EU players in the NA Guild and most players report little to no latency issues.

Friends, I'm Beautiful and angelic.

Looking good.

To hide the UI and bring it back, hold Control, Shift and press H, and just repeat it to bring back the UI..

You can also designate a specific keybind for it if you want too. I had to set one up since shift is my dodge key and I was rolling backwards off of things every time I wanted to take a picture.

teiresias

Hey guys, I started playing this as a Sylvari Warrior. I'd owned the game for a while but didn't really play more than a few minutes the first time before I grew so tired of the Asura running animation that I just stopped.

The Sylvari seems much better and I like their starting zone better than the Asura. However, I've found that I've finished all my personal story quests and gotten the notice that "more challenges awake in the Kessen Hills" (or whatever it's called just north of Caledan). However, all the heart quests are above my level (20+ and I'm about 18) so I"m wondering if I'm doing the progression right.

I also ran into what looks to be a dungeon in the swamp in the NW of forest, but I have no quests associated with it even though the guy standing at its mouth mentions Caithe being in there. Am I supposed to just do that out of curiosity or is that an actual personal quest location? I'm a bit confused here.

Overall, I think the game is very pretty but I find the landscape sticking less in my mind than my time with FFXIV:ARR. I dunno, I can remember nearly every zone in that game, but I've been running around the forest here in GW2 for like three days and it just doesn't seem to have that sense of place like FFXIV did - part of it probably has to do with the music being "typical Jeremy Soule" if you get me - the man really needs to expand his musical voice or something, I can hear him from a mile away and there hasn't been much memorable I've heard in the game so far aside from the reuse of the original Guild Wars theme.

I do like the combat even though it seems a bit spammy and less deliberate than I'm used to from FFXIV. I'll keep giving it a shot since I mainly like MMOs for just exploring the zones (that's why I like when they're playable solo a good deal of the time) and see if the world grabs me a bit more and I feel I should play it since I paid for it rather than spending money on a FFXIV sub again.

Retro

Reminder:
Guild invitations are account-based, but you must represent on individual characters. I saw a couple of our newer members on new characters that weren't getting delicious guild buffs or exposed to our horrible puns.

Thanks again! And heck yeah I am. Angel wings should be in every game, so damn beautiful.

It really depends on the character; I've seen some people look *horrible* with the wings, but I've seen just as many people really rock 'em.

The Sylvari seems much better and I like their starting zone better than the Asura. However, I've found that I've finished all my personal story quests and gotten the notice that "more challenges awake in the Kessen Hills" (or whatever it's called just north of Caledan). However, all the heart quests are above my level (20+ and I'm about 18) so I"m wondering if I'm doing the progression right.

You may need to wander more towards the north and east side of Kessex Hills; the zone is level 15-25 so there are some areas that are going to be a tad high. You can also head to Lion's Arch since you're on a paid account and hit up any of the other racial starting areas (you'll still get items and experience at your level even if the zone is lower than you are; the wonders of GW2's down-scaling system). Wayfarer Foothills (get there by traveling to Hoelbrak, the Norn capitol) is especially nice.

Edit:
Ike's suggestion of heading to Brisban Wildlands is a good one too.

I also ran into what looks to be a dungeon in the swamp in the NW of forest, but I have no quests associated with it even though the guy standing at its mouth mentions Caithe being in there. Am I supposed to just do that out of curiosity or is that an actual personal quest location? I'm a bit confused here.

That's Twilight Arbor, it's a level 50 dungeon. You first dungeon will be Ascalon Catacombs at Level 30. You'll receive an in-game mail about it when you get there.

Overall, I think the game is very pretty but I find the landscape sticking less in my mind than my time with FFXIV:ARR. I dunno, I can remember nearly every zone in that game, but I've been running around the forest here in GW2 for like three days and it just doesn't seem to have that sense of place like FFXIV did - part of it probably has to do with the music being "typical Jeremy Soule" if you get me - the man really needs to expand his musical voice or something, I can hear him from a mile away and there hasn't been much memorable I've heard in the game so far aside from the reuse of the original Guild Wars theme.

The starting areas are pretty basic, they don't throw a whole lot at you. Caledon is pretty generic jungle (though lots of pretty parts), Queensdale is standard pastoral fantasy zone, Wayfarer Foothills is pretty nice and snowy. Metrica Province (with all the little labs and stuff) and Plains of Ashford (a mix of Charr Steampunk, Flame Legion magic and human ruins) are the more interesting starting zones. All of them are fairly flat and linear. Once you start getting to zones like Lornar's Pass, Timberline Falls, Mount Maelstrom and the higher level Charr areas, the terrain gets much more diverse, the hearts get more interesting and events grow more plentiful. At the higher levels you have the Orr zones which are fairly unique looking and places like Drytop and the Silverwastes which have a ton of verticality to them.

And you'll be happy to know that the game's soundtrack is now handled by two very talented in-house musicians, Lena Chappelle and Maclaine Diemer. They started writing stuff after the Living Story started so you won't hear it until you get to Drytop or the Silverwastes (Though they did the new Lion's Arch's theme).

I do like the combat even though it seems a bit spammy and less deliberate than I'm used to from FFXIV. I'll keep giving it a shot since I mainly like MMOs for just exploring the zones (that's why I like when they're playable solo a good deal of the time) and see if the world grabs me a bit more and I feel I should play it since I paid for it rather than spending money on a FFXIV sub again.

The big thing about GW2 combat is that you don't really want to be pushing every button as soon as they're off cooldown. Some of your skills are best reserved until you really need them to interrupt or block an enemy attack, knock an enemy safely away, etc. A few even have special parameters like causing more damage the further/closer you are or how much health the enemy has left. Once you're into the more complicated areas you'll be spending more time watching for things you need to dodge or attacks you need to stop, as well as combo fields/finishers and a general awareness of what everyone is doing around you. Zones like Orr and the Silverwastes are wall-to-wall enemies with all sorts of events going on.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Reminder:
Guild invitations are account-based, but you must represent on individual characters. I saw a couple of our newer members on new characters that weren't getting delicious guild buffs or exposed to our horrible puns.

It really depends on the character; I've seen some people look *horrible* with the wings, but I've seen just as many people really rock 'em.

I am biased on all things angelic though!

Also, whoa I am getting guild buffs? Nice! Need to look more into the guild tab and see what it's all about. Thought it was just our chat!

Try going to Brisban Wildlands instead. The south corner of Kessex Hills is where Humans eventually work their way to, but if you go into Brisban from the northwest corner of Caledon, you should be in a more level-appropriate area.

You'll get a letter in the mail when it is the right time to visit the dungeons. Twilight Arbor that you visited is a level 50-55 area.

spiritfox

Have you been staying around the Sylvari starting area? Take the portal in The Grove to Lion's Arch, and start visiting the other racial cities. I like the snowy areas around the Shiverpeaks, and Ascalon is interesting due to all the lore and ruins. I also find Soule's music very souless (hehe), but the newer stuff coming out from the Living Story gets pretty good. Get to 80 and maybe we can do Season 2 so you can hear the Golden Cave, which is great.

Retro

Also, whoa I am getting guild buffs? Nice! Need to look more into the guild tab and see what it's all about. Thought it was just our chat!

When I remember to start them (or my wife sneaks on and does them). We usually have stuff like 5% experience gain, 10% magic find, 10% increase to harvesting and 15% karma running.

Oh crap, I'm officially purged! ;( Gonna have to figure out my account details and log Gattsby back in.

Culling is agonizingly fair; we kick whoever's been inactive for the longest. I regrettably had to cull you, and Weltall too. You're always welcome back!

Have you been staying around the Sylvari starting area? Take the portal in The Grove to Lion's Arch, and start visiting the other racial cities. I like the snowy areas around the Shiverpeaks, and Ascalon is interesting due to all the lore and ruins. I also find Soule's music very souless (hehe), but the newer stuff coming out from the Living Story gets pretty good. Get to 80 and maybe we can do Season 2 so you can hear the Golden Cave, which is great.

Or you can go to the Guild Wars 2 Soundcloud page and hear it now (spoilers in some of the song titles though!)

When can I start jumping puzzles? Very excited to start jumping.

Right now! There's one in southeast corner of Queensdale, look for a cave on the eastern wall near the centaur camps.

In fact, that's at least one JP in every starter zone... Caledon Forest has 3, Metrica Province has one (but it's a dooooozy), Wayfarer Foothills has one that's fairly easy and Plains of Ashford has one that's reaaaaaally cool.

Edit: Aww, you're not on, I was gonna show you the Queensdale one =p

When can I start jumping puzzles? Very excited to start jumping.

When you make it to the southeast corner of Queensdale, look for a cave that leads into Demongrub Pits. You could probably ask in guild chat for some guidance in making it through, or you could go spelunking on your own for a while.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Did they really take out "press space to play"?

The last two weeks I thought it was odd I couldn't log in with my character by using the spacebar but figured it was a quirky glitch.

teiresias

Thanks for the pointers guys. I think the way I tend to play just has me hampered, at least in the beginning when I'm lower level I pretty much like to go where my character would logically go because of events, therefore I wasn't really venturing far and turned right back around when I found myself in Lion's Arch via a gate by accident (I wish they labeled these because I didn't realize it was a gate to Lion's Arch until I'd stepped through it, I thought maybe it was to a different area of the same zone).

One combat question about the skill assigned to (1).

When I hover over it it shows like three moves associated with it, are these chained somehow with sequential presses of that skill? I don't recall getting any tutorial prompt on it and I can't really figure out what the notation means for that (this is the only skill I have with this kind of notation).

Oh, so I didn't have to be spamming 1 this whole time? Haha, ok, good to know. Doh!

worth noting that for thieves (and perhaps other classes?) there's an extra skill bound to that first slot that's context-sensitive. That is to say with a thief if you're stealthed using that skill will be a different attack than if you weren't stealthed. It took me a while to realize that was something actually worth making use of (lol).

Spyware

Ugh. Had to go back to bed after being up for 3 hours or something yesterday. Couldn't stand the pain D:
Missed Fractals and I really wanna do those for Mawdrey, but at least I didn't miss out on a dungeon run. Puh!

3 years in the guild. Abuse and harassment never end.
I really like you, if that means anything :)

Retro

closer.5329

I'm running around as a human elementalist called Wizard City

Invite sent, press G to open your guild panel to accept the invite, then hit "Represent" to join. /g is the shortcut for guild chat.

I agree with Gaile with regards to all the 'I feel cheated by scummy Anet for now making the thing I had to pay for, free' threads.

Was about to post this, I'm glad it's something they're tired of seeing internally because it's getting old arguing it on forums and such too.

Indignate

What does Representing actually do?

The way you guys push it makes it feel more like a street gang than a guild.

The comment is in jest; the question is serious.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
One thing I feel ESO handles guilds better over GW2 - no need for repping. You can easily chat among multiple guilds at the same time, access all banks, etc.

Zeroth

When you accept the invite, you are just part of the guild roster, but you are not considered a guild member until you are representing. That is, you won't have access to guild chat, guild bonuses, or have the [GAF] tag near your name.

Fishious

You can be in up to 5 guilds at one time. Representing a guild means you have access to that guild's guild chat and other associated benefits. If you're in multiple guilds you can use this function to change which guild you get these benefits from. Every time you create a new character they aren't repped by default so you'll need to click represent on your guild of choice to have access to guild functions.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
One thing I feel ESO handles guilds better over GW2 - no need for repping. You can easily chat among multiple guilds at the same time, access all banks, etc.

How do they handle showing what guild you are a part of then?

I'm more traditional, thinking that characters should be limited to a single guild. So the rep requirement seems like a happy medium for me between the two extremes.

edit: Actually this is just a cult. Get out while you can.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How do they handle showing what guild you are a part of then?

I'm more traditional, thinking that characters should be limited to a single guild. So the rep requirement seems like a happy medium for me between the two extremes.

edit: Actually this is just a cult. Get out while you can.

They don't, they don't even show the player's names unless you go out and click them (the mouse is nonexistent unless you press a button).

Good news then: HoT will have cross-guild chat.

that's good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom