• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the key farm nerf is really all that significant. Key farming was fairly time consuming, even before the new player experience changes which nerfed it a bit. I probably farmed 25-30 keys before that nerf and only got enough scraps for 1 ticket. The rest of the stuff from the chests was largely trash. This is not atypical.

Over the weekend I finished out the Dwayna set making it my second full set of Black Lion weapons. My first set was Daydreamer. I didn't spend any gems on keys or farm any keys. I just bought them straight off the trading post with gold. If you want one of the skins, just buy it with gold.

Doing some rough calculations I probably spent at least 8.5 hours doing key farming and got one ticket out of it. Today, in the same amount of time for considerably less effort, I could at least get enough gold doing Silverwastes runs to buy 1 of whatever Black Lion weapon is currently going for 1 ticket. If you're savvy enough to play the trading post, it's even easier to make enough money.

In summation, if you've got your eye on a Black Lion weapon, there's much easier and more efficient ways to get it than key farming or gems. The only way the new nerf might affect this is it might cause prices of Black Lion weps on the TP to rise, but we'll have to see if the key drop rate bump is enough to offset it. That is assuming that a good portion of those weps on the TP come from key farmers. I have no idea how much they actually contribute to the supply.

Also, if you've been gone a while you may be happy to know that Arenanet has stopped adding new armors sets to the gem store. Now they only make outfits (which are unmixable sets that are worn over armor) for the gem store and future armors are to be available through in game means. The carapace and luminescent sets were the ones we got after this change and there should be more coming in HoT.

You are right, and if Anet moves forward with their cosmetic goals as they have planned in Heart of Thorns, then that would be fantastic. I guess the nerf is an excuse for me to complain about the black lion key and skin systems, as I hate both concepts in general. I seriously doubt the drop rate increase is significant, but we'll see.

Jira

Saw a lot of people on reddit saying they've gotten at least 1 key drop, some 2, some even 3 drops today. So it looks like the key rates are much higher. This is good because it allows you to get keys anywhere instead of having to repeat a specific piece of content over and over.

Ashodin

Hunter’s Fortification: This trait has been reworked to remove conditions when blocking attacks. In addition, receive less damage when you have no conditions on you.

Proven, this makes Shout Guardian even more badass, as you eat up conditions and become even stronger.

The build would be Honor, Virtues, Dragonhunter.

It's basically a build of the "Aegis Does Everything" but instead "Aegis Helps Remove Condis"

Roll with Shouts, Use Longbow/ + Sword/Focus. Longbow for long range 20% extra damage stuff, then get in close when Aegis pops and shout their faces off. Pop Feel my Wrath for insane sword auto burst.

usea

Proven, this makes Shout Guardian even more badass, as you eat up conditions and become even stronger.

It's basically a build of the "Aegis Does Everything" but instead "Aegis Helps Remove Condis"

Roll with Shouts, Use Longbow/ + Sword/Focus. Longbow for long range 20% extra damage stuff, then get in close when Aegis pops and shout their faces off. Pop Feel my Wrath for insane sword auto burst.
That sounds pretty fun. I don't think I've ever used sword on guardian except at launch.

Ashodin

That sounds pretty fun. I don't think I've ever used sword on guardian except at launch.

I mean you could use anything else in the spot for Sword, just having an upclose option for DPS is good too. You could use Scepter and be the ultimate ranged Dragonhunter lol

The most interesting thing about the revealed professions so far are the weapon skills and the "new profession mechanic" has been very hit and miss.

ANET should just focus on adding current weapons to all classes and creating new weapon types.

Retro

With key farming significantly nerfed, they're more likely to improve Black Lion chests overall now that a way to farm for them easily is gone. They increased the drop rate of scraps not that long ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they bump it up again.

Ideally, I would love to see scraps be a 100% drop rate so you're always progressing towards something (the RNG would come in by having multiple scraps or a full ticket appear instead). It probably will never happen, but it certainly wasn't going to with key farming the way it was.

With key farming significantly nerfed, they're more likely to improve Black Lion chests overall now that a way to farm for them easily is gone. They increased the drop rate of scraps not that long ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they bump it up again.

Ideally, I would love to see scraps be a 100% drop rate so you're always progressing towards something (the RNG would come in by having multiple scraps or a full ticket appear instead). It probably will never happen, but it certainly wasn't going to with key farming the way it was.

They need to remove the following from BLTC chests:
- boosters
- booster combining dust
- guild influence potions

Retro

They need to remove the following from BLTC chests:
- boosters
- booster combining dust
- guild influence potions

Agreed, on all points. Influence items have to be retired since influence as a currency is being phased out, though the could just replace it with one of the new ones... hope not though.

I remember back in the days when i key farmed 40 keys gave me 5 golden black lion tickets..over the past few months 50 keys 2 and half tickets and a bunch of junk, they have added so much useless trash to the BLC even if i was filthy fucking rich i would never waste my money on keys..

spiritfox

Yay reliable condi clear. Though I still prefer sigil of cleansing, but it's nice to have another way to clear condis.

Looks like Rocket Charge is the whirling attack we saw in the reveal trailer? Or maybe they changed it in the interim.

Scrapper is an ok name, though I prefer Sapper, but it does not fit the mechanics of this spec anyway.

Yay reliable condi clear. Though I still prefer sigil of cleansing, but it's nice to have another way to clear condis.

Looks like Rocket Charge is the whirling attack we saw in the reveal trailer? Or maybe they changed it in the interim.

Scrapper is an ok name, though I prefer Sapper, but it does not fit the mechanics of this spec anyway.

The Sapper!
BdVRESR.jpg

Proven

I mean you could use anything else in the spot for Sword, just having an upclose option for DPS is good too. You could use Scepter and be the ultimate ranged Dragonhunter lol

I've generally played my Guardian at range (I first got into it because of Scepter and burning, believe it or not), so I didn't consider using shouts. It might be fine if I focus at mid range.

But I was basically thinking along the same lines as Aegis does everything. If I go into Valor then blocks give Ferocity. Honor provides healing. Radiance gives burns (where I'm currently looking), and Zeal provides just pure damage. The hard part is how much I want to use Justice. I'm gimping myself by focusing so much on it, probably.

Need to read the Scrapper article later, but a quick skim make their utilities seem a lot like Spirit Weapons.

Anno

Looks sweet, and seems like it could be a genuinely different play style for engis out there. I've always wanted to play an engi some but I really dislike kits, so maybe this can help bring me around on the class.

I feel like cosmetics are the endgame reward that Anet intends. They're long-term goals that keep people playing after the great fun of playing the content for the first time.

Perhaps, but I don't think they're the only one. Princess and Mawdry II are good examples of 'endgame' that keep me interested. I enjoyed getting my first Legendary too, but like Princess and Mawdry, I only went after the Legendary because it is functional - you can change the stats for free, you can convert Dragonite into resources, etc.

Perhaps it's just me, but I really don't think cosmetics are the 'true end game' of GW2, just some people can see it that way.

Also, if you've been gone a while you may be happy to know that Arenanet has stopped adding new armors sets to the gem store. Now they only make outfits (which are unmixable sets that are worn over armor) for the gem store and future armors are to be available through in game means. The carapace and luminescent sets were the ones we got after this change and there should be more coming in HoT.

Also, I agree with Fishious here. Anet did shift away from selling armours, and the cosmetics are now more in line with most other games - real vanity stuff, that replaces your whole look and serve more as a real 'character skin'.

For the next six days, the complete Living World Season 2 pack is 40% off in the Upgrades category of the Gem Store. Complete your playthrough of all eight episodes leading up to Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™.

Worth it, it's a good story.

Saw a lot of people on reddit saying they've gotten at least 1 key drop, some 2, some even 3 drops today. So it looks like the key rates are much higher. This is good because it allows you to get keys anywhere instead of having to repeat a specific piece of content over and over.

This is a good solution, I think. Keyfarming was always a bit derpy - spending lots of time grinding, just to gamble on trying to get those high-gold ticket skins. I never liked the Black Lion Ticket gambling system (or should I say, lotto), find it a bit scummy, but this at least dials it back a bit I think.

Ashodin

We'll appropriate more Canadian culture, we already did it with all dressed chips, and poutine, we can for sure make a maple sapper class

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What kind of sick world do we live in where Guild Wars 2 won't be at New York Comic Con but that F2P game Warframe will be?

Kenai

Hmm...whenever i try to log into the game it doesn't update at all. Acts like the internet isn't on.

I did the repair thing, changed the address in properties, made sure it's flagged in Firewall, ect from the website tips. Everything else works fine, even GW1,, I'm not sure what's wrong.

Should I just try re-downloading everything from scratch?

What kind of sick world do we live in where Guild Wars 2 won't be at New York Comic Con but that F2P game Warframe will be?

The world in which there is literally NO point in Arena net being at comic con. Also that same world where comic con adds nothing to guild wars 2. So pretty much this world.

Pro

Question on the For the Children Achievement to get the Star of Gratitude. Do you have to go to the 6 separate locations for each ornament or can any ornament come out of any Mysterious Grubby Package?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The world in which there is literally NO point in Arena net being at comic con. Also that same world where comic con adds nothing to guild wars 2. So pretty much this world.

To bring awareness to their upcoming launch the month it comes out? Eh, they were there for two years prior to GW2 launching. They probably have more of a reason to be there than a game like Borderlands does.

Tech-Wolf

Hmm...whenever i try to log into the game it doesn't update at all. Acts like the internet isn't on.

I did the repair thing, changed the address in properties, made sure it's flagged in Firewall, ect from the website tips. Everything else works fine, even GW1,, I'm not sure what's wrong.

Should I just try re-downloading everything from scratch?

I take that you're having issue with the launcher? What I do is change asset browser.

from reddit:

1-Go to the GW2 shortcut properties
2-Add behind the file location: -assetsrv
Example: GW2.exe" -assetsrv
3-Fill in an Asset IP from this list http://gw2status.de/
4-Patch!
5-Stuck at downloading 1 file? Try removing the assetsrv argument or change it to something else (I used: assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com) <-- Thanks /u/howellq

Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -assetsrv 62.154.232.120

note that step 5 is optional

good luck

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
been going through living story today up to last one really enjoying this so far :D

Ashodin

No stream today as I'm getting ready to work on the Belcher's Bluff tournament open to all NA.

Here's the basic details again:

¤ NA Belcher's Bluff Tournament #1 ¤

Welcome, welcome to the first ever NA Belcher's Bluff Tournament!

¤ What Is Belcher's Bluff? ¤

Added in the first Bazaar of the Four Winds, it's a mini game that is played by trying to make your opponent drink too heavily and pass out. Structured similar to rock paper scissors, you both select an option on your 1-5 bar, then an outcome is made. You can choose to drink, take a fake drink, or heal up. Of course, you can choose to harm your opponent if they fake it with a rousing belch!

¤ Where Does The Skill Come In? ¤

In addition to the previous skills, you can select unique abilities that modify your playstyle, learned from the masters of Om themselves!

Learn more here: wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Belcher's_Bluff

¤ What Are The Details Of The Tournament? ¤

• Signups begin now
  • No level requirement
  • Best of 3.
  • Conquest mode: Must switch winning signature move to another not used if you win.
  • Tournament will be posted this Sunday after the PVP Rush
  • Matches can be played any time after, but please send me a screenshot of the outcome to maxrpg(at)gmail(for)com or if I'm online, contact me to officiate.
  • Semi finals and finals will be streamed on Twitch
  • 1st Place Gold Reward: 50g
  • 2nd Place Gold Reward: 25g
  • 3rd Place Gold Reward: 12g
  • 4-10th: 5 Unidentified Dyes

Current Signed up Players (I'd like to get at least 10)

• Rawk Hawk
  • spiritfox

Tonight is also:

&#9734; NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 16 &#9734;

Event #3 - Goemm's Lab

Required Character Level: 1 (11 Recommended)
Required Zone: Metrica Province

Recommended Waypoint: Cuatl Waypoint — [&BLIEAAA=]

UltimateBirthdayIke said:
Zeroth, appletoasty, and I will be hosting jumping puzzle events twice each week. Just like the ongoing dungeon events, these are aimed specifically at new players or players who may have never attempted puzzles before, but everyone is welcome to join!

The events will take place 30 minutes after server reset (8:30 PM EDT) on Wednesday and Friday nights, and will be fairly quick, but they give us another good excuse to see our guild members' pretty faces.

Around 10 minutes before the event, we will hop into Mumble, and start collecting at the entrance to the zone to help anyone missing the waypoint. We'll hoof it to the puzzle together, and we can get started as soon as everyone is ready!

To sweeten the deal, anyone who makes it to the chest at the end of the puzzle and stays for a group photo will be entered into a weekly drawing for a five gold prize. Going to both events each week gives you two entries in the drawing, so be there!

Tada!

Mxrz

Turns out getting 10 characters into ascended gear is fairly expensive. Can't imagine 30. Half way there at least.

Not crazy about the Engineer spec name, but thats more a charr problem.

Spyware

Turns out getting 10 characters into ascended gear is fairly expensive. Can't imagine 30. Half way there at least.
Huwa, 10 ascended sets would be mega expensive :O
I don't care about ascended gear, thankfully. I have the three sets for the looks/collection... And I even forgot to actually give them to anyone. They sat in the main crafter's inventory for months :D
I just give them all a full set of exotics with an ascended amulet (from laurels) when they reach 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom