• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishious

I haven't played in ages, but was maybe interested in coming back at the expansion but it's £35 for the standard edition? Is that really the cheapest option? It seems very expensive to me.

Some people have voiced their opinions on the price of the expansion, as it costs more than the typical MMO expansion. For what it's worth you get a free character slot if you bought the core game before Jan 23rd, 2015. If you bought it after then, I believe they were offering refunds as well and allowing you to just buy HoT and keep all your current progress. When Anet first started talking about the expansion they said each new expansion would include the old ones (so whatever's after HoT would include HoT), but this was before the Play for Free announcement.

It's ultimately up to whether you think its worth the price. If you haven't played in a while there's been a lot of changes. You might want to hop on and see what you think of everything before committing to the expansion.

Edit: Also WoW and FFXIV, the two big ones that come to my mind in terms of MMOs with expansions also have monthly fees, so that's worth considering. Also also, it seems that new living world season stuff will only be available for expac owners so you're not just forking over cash for the expansion, but for new content coming later.

Zeroth

I haven't played in ages, but was maybe interested in coming back at the expansion but it's £35 for the standard edition? Is that really the cheapest option? It seems very expensive to me.

Yeah, that's the base price. If it' worth it it's up to you, but it's worth pointing out that people who purchased GW2 before Jan 23 2015 and buy HoT before its release will get a free character slot on top of whatever bonuses are on your package.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly not sure it's worth it to me but I'm downloading it now to see what has changed, and I'll look more closely at what's coming in the expansion. If it were my only/main game then £35 would be more reasonable but it's not. I played it for about 5 months when I first bought it and really enjoyed it so figured I'd get at least that much out of the expansion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sharky for MVP
QMd3uKB.png

★ Jumping Puzzle Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 30 ☆

Event #6 - The Collapsed Observatory

Required Character Level: 1 (20 Recommended)
Required Zone: Kessex Hills

Recommended Waypoint:
Cereboth Waypoint — [&BBIAAAA=]

This event will take place 30 minutes after server reset (8:30 PM EDT) on Wednesday night.

Around 10 minutes before the event, we will hop into Mumble and start collecting at the entrance to the zone to help anyone missing the waypoints. We'll get started as soon as everyone is ready!

★ Dungeon Event Series ★
☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY OCTOBER 4 ☆

Event #10 - Crucible of Eternity
Story Mode, Explorable Paths 1-3

Required Character Level: 80
Required Zone: Mount Maelstrom

All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

For each full party that completes a given week's dungeon run, five gold will be added to a door prize from which one participant's name will be drawn. So if five parties complete the event, you have a chance at winning an extra twenty-five gold! The more people who show up, the more money you can win!

☆ REMAINING DUNGEON EVENT SCHEDULE ☆

#10 - October 4 - Crucible of Eternity
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

#11 - October 11 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 1/2

#12 - October 18 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 3/4​

☆ DUNGEON MASTER CHALLENGE ☆

Callunah, Tyliout, Sonicbug, Crescendo, and Falsetto are currently the only members eligible for the original two hundred gold prize. In the case that all five complete the challenge, the prize will be increased so that each is guaranteed at least fifty gold.​

Zeroth

So wait, doesn't HoT already come with a free character slot? Does that mean I could get TWO character slots?

If you purchase the Deluxe or Ultimate edition, you will get two character slots, yes. That is, this only applies to people who bought GW2 before HoT was announced.

I usually stay away from dungeons but that was a lot of fun. Will definitely try to join in more in the future.

Glad you got to join us :) Apologizes for the confusion early on, but thankfully in the end we got parties for everyone!

If you purchase the Deluxe or Ultimate edition, you will get two character slots, yes. That is, this only applies to people who bought GW2 before HoT was announced.

Glad you got to join us :) Apologizes for the confusion early on, but thankfully in the end we got parties for everyone!

I preordered the original, so I should be good there. :D
(How else do you think I was able to get a name like Samass Aran?)

Retro

So wait, doesn't HoT already come with a free character slot? Does that mean I could get TWO character slots?

If you already owned the game prior to January and buy either the Deluxe or Ultimate editions, then yes, you'd get two slots. The Deluxe's items are pretty lackluster so if you don't want to spring for the Ultimate I'd just get the regular edition and $10 worth of gems for an extra slot.

I usually stay away from dungeons but that was a lot of fun. Will definitely try to join in more in the future.

I believe this is exactly the kind of response Ike was looking for what organizing these events; they're meant to introduce players to dungeons in a low-stress environment and sweep up some of the lesser-run paths for people looking to get achievements (today's paths never get run).

There's a lot of talk about builds and gear and speed runs and metas and such that can be crazy intimidating; these events are meant to cut through all that crap and just have fun doing the only content in the game that really requires a group.

Super glad to have you along (and not just because Sharky was pulling our butts out of the fire, though that helped), next week is CoE which is one of my absolute favorite dungeons.

Perona

I believe this is exactly the kind of response Ike was looking for what organizing these events; they're meant to introduce players to dungeons in a low-stress environment and sweep up some of the lesser-run paths for people looking to get achievements (today's paths never get run).

There's a lot of talk about builds and gear and speed runs and metas and such that can be crazy intimidating; these events are meant to cut through all that crap and just have fun doing the content in the game that really requires a group.

Super glad to have you along (and not just because Sharky was pulling our butts out of the fire, though that helped), next week is CoE which is one of my absolute favorite dungeons.

Getting to do stuff I had never done before is honestly one of the reasons I wanted to join this guild. Getting into the dungeons (and fractals) still took a small push though.

Spyware

Not a very photohappy group with mister TechScreenshotHaterWolf as the leader and a pretty badly lit dungeon so my only screens are stuff I snapped during the encounter explanation. Not happy with them but can't have "the shutterbug"'s team be the only one without screenshots in the thread now can we?

The group was better at fightning than screenshot posing (thank god!) so thanks for a good run TechWolf, Sonicbug, Kym Hunter and Crescendo :)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Haven't played this all year.

I was always a noob, any major changes I'd need to know before playing?

Retro

Haven't played this all year.

I was always a noob, any major changes I'd need to know before playing?

The biggest changes in the last year;
  • The core game is now free.
  • Two new maps, Dry Top and the The Silverwastes were added (Both accessed via Brisban Wildlands in the west).
  • Trait system overhaul, including a new, much more straightforward skill/trait unlock system.
  • Improved leveling and tutorials, including leveling rewards.
  • Daily Login rewards
  • Rebuilt Lion's Arch
  • Camera changes
  • Crafting refinements
Lots of other stuff, but those are the major ones. And the expansion was announced, of course.

Do you guys try to 100 percent areas before you move on? Or is it not worth it.

Depends on how much of a completionist you are. Since the game levels your character down (but gives you rewards and experience appropriate to your level) you can stay in one area as long as you like and keep leveling. Personally, I tend to wander around wherever, following events or the landscape wherever it leads. If I want to do something different, I'll see what maps I have a high completion on and just knock 'em out as a mini goal. Usually I end up at Level 80 with ~50-60% world completion.

There's no reason you have to move on or stay in one area, it's really up to you. If a change of scenery is what you want, go for it. You can always come back later.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The biggest changes in the last year;
  • The core game is now free.
  • Two new maps, Dry Top and the The Silverwastes were added (Both accessed via Brisban Wildlands in the west).
  • Trait system overhaul, including a new, much more straightforward skill/trait unlock system.
  • Improved leveling and tutorials, including leveling rewards.
  • Daily Login rewards
  • Rebuilt Lion's Arch
  • Camera changes
  • Crafting refinements
Lots of other stuff, but those are the major ones. And the expansion was announced, of course.

Depends on how much of a completionist you are. Since the game levels your character down (but gives you rewards and experience appropriate to your level) you can stay in one area as long as you like and keep leveling. Personally, I tend to wander around wherever, following events or the landscape wherever it leads. If I want to do something different, I'll see what maps I have a high completion on and just knock 'em out as a mini goal. Usually I end up at Level 80 with ~50-60% world completion.

There's no reason you have to move on or stay in one area, it's really up to you. If a change of scenery is what you want, go for it. You can always come back later.

Sounds good, thanks Retro.

Need to try and get my friend to play it, especially now it's free

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded the game after not playing in months, zone into the new Lion's Arch and it's gorgeous. Fixed my builds for my 3 level 80s and did a quick game of PvP. Not much has changed since I last played, the biggest thing is Lion's Arch and the skill point system. PvP is still a total blast on my Power Ranger.

Retro

Sounds good, thanks Retro.

Need to try and get my friend to play it, especially now it's free

Let us know if you and/or your friend wants into the guild, still some room left.

Downloaded the game after not playing in months, zone into the new Lion's Arch and it's gorgeous. Fixed my builds for my 3 level 80s and did a quick game of PvP. Not much has changed since I last played, the biggest thing is Lion's Arch and the skill point system. PvP is still a total blast on my Power Ranger.

Yeah, they've really only been tweaking things since the end of Season 2, mostly just getting things ready for the expansion.

Fishious

If you haven't tried it yet, the stronghold mode coming with HoT is available this weekend. I just started playing PvP, but I'm finding it to be tons of fun.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, PvP is probably where I have the most fun, just unranked arena. I always loved the open world bosses as well, but once you've done them 500 times they get boring. I'm wondering if there's anything to actually do now? I have 100g and all my chars have exotic gear, is there something I should be doing in prep for the expansion (in the event I can afford it)?

spiritfox

Yeah, PvP is probably where I have the most fun, just unranked arena. I always loved the open world bosses as well, but once you've done them 500 times they get boring. I'm wondering if there's anything to actually do now? I have 100g and all my chars have exotic gear, is there something I should be doing in prep for the expansion (in the event I can afford it)?

Get some hero points so you can grab the elite specs? Or maybe do world completion since that should help with the Central Tyria masteries.

Or get all the skins.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I have 234 hero points, no idea if that's enough. And world completion is something I want to do, I think I'm at around 70% ATM.

Retro

I have 234 hero points, no idea if that's enough. And world completion is something I want to do, I think I'm at around 70% ATM.

If you're level 80, you have enough Hero points for everything currently in the game. Anything beyond that is useless until HoT.

Fishious

I assume you haven't purchased all the skills and traits available at level 80? You get 398 from leveling (which gets you everything you can currently buy) and you can get up to 214 hero points beyond that. From the datamined info posted on Reddit, it will take 170 points to unlock all the skills & traits in the elite specialization line and a total of 250 (80 more) to get the specialization skins.

If you only have one character you mainly play it's not so bad, but I've been prepping several alts so it's taking me some time.

As for other suggestions on stuff to do, you've completed living world season 2, right? I'm pretty sure they stated you'll get retroactive mastery points for it.

M.D

It's very slow for me as well, been trying since Thursday.

Guild Mission Make-ups in an hour!

Not sure if you've tried this already, but;
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/93290408-Problems-Downloading-or-Patching
That's what I tried the first time but it didn't help.
I it let download yesterday, took a long time but it finished so whatever ;p

Is there a large number of gaffers on one of the EU servers? is the GAF guild EU or US?

spiritfox

We're on US, Stormbluff Isle. There are many EU players here and they don't really have an issue with latency, so it should be fine. Not sure if there are any Gaffers still playing on EU servers.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I see the gem store has sales. I also see Living World Season 2 is 20% off.
How long do these sales last? When does that one end?

I have made the (incredibly stupid) decision to grind out the gold to get the gems to buy that. Need the lore, need the story. I think I need like 300 gold? I need it and am really, REALLY not good at changing my mind. (Need)

Silverwaste grind here I come.

leng jai

I see the gem store has sales. I also see Living World Season 2 is 20% off.
How long do these sales last? When does that one end?

I have made the (incredibly stupid) decision to grind out the gold to get the gems to buy that. Need the lore, need the story. I think I need like 300 gold? I need it and am really, REALLY not good at changing my mind. (Need)

Silverwaste grind here I come.

300 gold for Living Story content ^__^

spiritfox

The season has been on sale for a while, not sure when it'll end. But they'll usually put a countdown if they are ending the sale. But If you are ok with not getting the rewards and achievements, you can just tag along with someone who has the LS unlocked and get the story.

Qurupeke

What's the best method to get Gold? I spent some on Black Lion and now I have like 4g. I have many materials but I'm not sure if I should sell them or if I need them.

M.D

We're on US, Stormbluff Isle. There are many EU players here and they don't really have an issue with latency, so it should be fine. Not sure if there are any Gaffers still playing on EU servers.

I opened up a character on that server and my ping is about 200
Is that acceptable for this game? I know that would be considered pretty bad in WoW

Morokh

I opened up a character on that server and my ping is about 200
Is that acceptable for this game? I know that would be considered pretty bad in WoW

For open world PVE and dungeons Fractals I've never had any problems with a similar ping. (For raids we'll have to see)
In PvP though you can feel it sometimes.

Speaking of raids do we have EU people interested in trying this at a more EU-friendly time for an hour or two during the week-end ?

Spyware

Speaking of raids do we have EU people interested in trying this at a more EU-friendly time for an hour or two during the week-end ?
I'm assuming you're talking about the BWE and not in general? For the Beta I would have loved to try it out but it's so much effort to try and fit the dungeon run in already (due to my health and all that). Can't promise I'll be on at all other than for that :(
In general I would be very sad if we didn't have "make-up raid sunday" or something.

Tech-Wolf

Not a very photohappy group with mister TechScreenshotHaterWolf as the leader
Perfection.

Honestly I hope my leading was ok. I tend to be hit or miss on that. Either I explain stuff way to much and people fall asleep / get more confuse then helping or I explain too few and not at the right time leading to some funky moment.

What's the best method to get Gold? I spent some on Black Lion and now I have like 4g. I have many materials but I'm not sure if I should sell them or if I need them.

You need to sit down and make a plan of what you want to accomplish. Take a good look at your characters and the skins they have, and asses if there is some weapons/armor you really want to go for that requires crafting. If such, you best save those materials.

Also, if you have other things you want to accomplish, like getting every crafting profession to 400- A difficult thing to do, refining materials can really help speed up the process. Particularly if your eating crafting foods, using crafting booster and have crafting buff from banner.
There are also the people who hoard mats to get their Ascended armor. You need a lot of specific materials.
It's possible to make money on selling mats, for sure. But prices change constantly, and there are people who play the Trading Post to get rich. They flip, they buy entire stock and sell at higher prices and all kinds oc crazy stuff. So sometimes it's not worth selling something if it's not desired.
But it's also a risk- We don't know the loot table of things in the expansion. What if suddenly Globs of Ectoplasm start dropping like flies and prices go down? Then your stack of 200 of these will make you lose money. Nobody can really say.

Some people make money buy buying skins and just keeping them in their inventory. Then when they become more rare they sell them for a lot more. Popular with Black Lion Weapons. New Black Lion Weapons cost 1 Ticket (1 Lion scraps) and they usually cost around 80-150g for these new skins. But after 3-6 months, you need 3-5 tickets (30-50 scraps) and then the prices skyrocket. So if you then invested and bought some weapons for around 90g, you can make quite a markup.
But to do this effectively you need a understanding of what people find popular. Staff, Greatswords, Shields are often the most popular I find- But I might be projecting.

Fastest way for me to make gold is actually selling my laurels. You get around 40 laurels a month if you log-in every day. If you sell those 40 laurels to a merchant for Tier 6 materials, and sell them, you get around 30-40 gold. At least for me. So that yields some currency.
Another good way is to do dragon chests (you follow the train) and fight all the big bosses once a day- yields a bonus chest. Teq, Destroyer, Shat, Jormy, Jungle Dragon and so on. The rares you get often, you always check if they sell.
If your lucky they have a good rune on them that sells for a lot. Or if you use your Mystic Salvaging Kit you sometimes get 3 Ectoplasm, so that's around 1 gold. Much better than to sell a rare for 25 silver. But sometimes you get nothing but elder wood. That's what we call "pulling an Adriaa".

Another good thing is that doing a dungeon once every day yields a bonus chest too. So you are incentive to play a lot of different stuff. The more you salvage, the more luck% you get which is negligible but still nice. And the more you log-in and the more achievement you collect, the more gold find% you get to your account on all your character. My account has 22% gold find, and when I am representing GAF guild we usually get 10% on top of that, and if you then pick some good food with 20% gold find, then it's beginning to feel like it makes a difference.

But again - It depends on the specifcs on what you're trying to do because money is easily lost, and everything changes. If you're really into WvW you might want to save those hundreds of gold for a commander tag, if you're really fancing an expensive skin that is forged by the mystic forge, well, - then work on the mats first. And specifically those that require you to do specific things like getting 500 tokens from a dungeon, or stuff like that.

Remember - There are other things besides gold. Commendations and Laurels can yield you ascended trinkets, rings, necklace. Honor (WvW) and Karma can give you exotic armor, and doing dungeons can give you exotic unique armors and weapons too. So you don't have to get gold to get ready.
If you do as many Saturday night missions, jumping puzzles, bounties and hunts and dragon boss chests, your chances of getting a ascended weapon also increases, and crafting a ascended weapon is something that can easily cost you more than a thousand gold which is over 100 hours of gameplay I'll say.
So to clarify; Make a clear plan of your goals, and the make a plan of attack from there. Its important your having fun, and better if you earn gold by doing activities you think is fun.
Gold is not something that is easy to get in GW2, but on the bright side, you can earn money by doing almost anything if you play your cards right, and that is really nice.

Quenk

With HoT coming out soon, I'd recommend keeping your materials. For making gold I prefer running dungeons as much as I can. When I wanted to make a lot quickly, I'd go to silverwastes and mix event completion with chest farming after I did dungeons.

Qurupeke

With HoT coming out soon, I'd recommend keeping your materials. For making gold I prefer running dungeons as much as I can. When I wanted to make a lot quickly, I'd go to silverwastes and mix event completion with chest farming after I did dungeons.
Definitely keeping it then

Wow, thanks for this, it's really detailed. Tbh, I just want some gold to buy Gems for now, I'm not even sure when I'll get some Ascended armor.

Jira

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/welcome-to-guild-week/

Beginning on Tuesday, September 29, Rubi Bayer will be hosting a series of livestreams to give you plenty of in-depth information about the guild features you’ll have access to in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™! Join Rubi, her special developer guests, and our preshow and postshow community streamers at noon (UTC-7) each day on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel for the following programming lineup.

Tuesday, September 29

Guild Initiative Headquarters
Expeditions
Guild main panel
New guild mission panel
Guild mission changes
PvP missions
WvW missions

Wednesday, September 30

The Lost Precipice guild hall
Resource management
Building upgrades in your guild hall

Thursday, October 1

The scribe crafting discipline
Assembling guild items
Decorating your guild hall
Arenas

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3mpqen/gemstore_update_92815_some_older_items_are_back/

Frost Wasp Logging Tool
Fused Molten Logging Axe
Fused Molten Sickle
Molten Alliance Mining Pick
Krytan Medium Armor
Primeval Heavy Armor
Profane Light Armor
Zodiac Heavy Armor
Zodiac Light Armor
Zodiac Medium Armor
Warrior Quaggan Backpack
Fuzzy Bear Hat
Fuzzy Leopard Hat
Glowing Crimson Mask
Mask of the Crown
Reading Glasses
Sailor's Beanie
Top Hat
Wintersday Earmuffs (Only 25 gems!)

usea

Wow, zodiac armor, reading glasses, beanie, top hat? Awesome!

I think I spent more gems just now than during the anniversary sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom