• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

This weekend I experienced that feeling of setting up an alt with bags, leveling crafting disciplines, etc. and then deciding I actually would've preferred a different race and deleting the character. Welp.
People keep asking me why I have so many characters... this is one of the reasons :D This can never happen!

Just enjoy it when it gets here, and hopefully they'll slip some new stuff in there and we can all be surprised together (last year was kind of a bust).

Last year was a bust??? It was my first Halloween and I had *just* hit 80 so I was pretty fresh to the game but I had a blast :O

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Are there any good Guild Wars 2 comics? I like comics and have amazon credit

Retro

Are there any good Guild Wars 2 comics? I like comics and have amazon credit

Nah, just three novels; Ghosts of Ascalon, Edge of Destiny and Sea of Sorrows.

Ghosts of Ascalon is set one year before GW2 begins chronologically, and revolves around an attempt to enter the ruins of Ascalon City to recover a relic to help bridge the gulf between humans and charr.

Edge of Destiny is set six years before GW2 begins, and tells the story of how Destiny's Edge (Logan, Rytlock, etc.) came together and kicked all sorts of dragon ass before ending up as you find them at the start of GW2.

Sea of Sorrows is set a century before GW2 begins, and tells the story of the Rising of Orr, the rebuilding of Lion's Arch as a free city and some of the first encounters with the Risen.​

All three are worth reading if you're into the lore, but in terms of quality I found Edge of Destiny to be pretty flat. It's the only one of the three that reads like a videogame adaptation, whereas the other two feel like proper novels (Sea of Sorrows moreso than Ghosts; it reads like a proper fantasy novel whereas Ghosts is kind of an old school pulp fantasy adventure story).

I'd rank them SoS > GoA > EoD. Sea of Sorrows was really top notch and exploring Lion's Arch, even with the city rebuilt, you can see winks and nods to the book (that and all the memorial plaques everywhere).

Retro

I sliiiightly prefer Ghosts over SoS but otherwise I agree completely with the above.

Oh yeah, they're both good, no doubt. I think I like SoS more because the scope is a bit wider; instead of being a short adventure close to when GW2 begins, it gives a lot of details on an important time and location between the two games.

Totally a personal preference and they're definitely both reading. Edge of Destiny is the one I can only really recommend if you're a lore nut and want to know about that part of the game's storyline. I think the in-game story manages to cover it fairly well though.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Cool will look at these book things. I am very booked out right now though so it might be a while. It's comic time now, not book time.

Also, finished my first PVP track, silverwastes, woohooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Think I will set up glorious for the next one, it sounds holy.

Hedge

I liked Ghosts more, because it felt like a DnD run. It was intimate, emphasis on character relations and was very focused.
EoD didn't have as fleshed out characters - maybe because they were constrained to show only what was supported by the game. I mean, they could hardly reinvent the cast.
I didn't much care for it at all.

Ashodin

I liked Ghosts more, because it felt like a DnD run. It was intimate, emphasis on character relations and was very focused.
EoD didn't have as fleshed out characters - maybe because they were constrained to show only what was supported by the game. I mean, they could hardly reinvent the cast.

Best type of fantasy writing imo

Mxrz

Try contacting support?

I prefer bug reports. Support helped me with a real blunder a few months ago, Given how buried they are, I wouldn't want to trouble cs with what amounts to some blues and greens after that. Hearing people talk in game it seems to happen a fair bit and everyone mostly rolls with it.

I am a total sucker for Halloween, even if its a repeat. Crazy to think the first GW1 Halloween was now ten years ago. For good or ill, ANet has been the pc game developer to me for over a decade. Good grief.

Proven

Same reason why I prefer Ghosts. It's a nice standalone and easily relatable adventure. Or as Retro said, good and simple pulp fiction. Sea of Sorrows is the more awesome novel, but it has a very wide scope and covers several years of time. If you wanted to read just one novel to appreciate the lore in GW2, I'd pick Sea of Sorrows. If you wanted to read a fun book, I'd pick Ghosts. If you really care about the game's storyline (primarily in dungeons), I'd pick Edge of Destiny.

These two days of streaming from ANET have been awesome and got me even more excited for HoT.

Next week during beta, I'll want to try out the Scrapper before jumping into raids. I wouldn't mind doing raids next week instead of Guild missions...guild missions are quite stale and boring nowadays.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
unlikely original pre cursors will drop too low because any pre cursor /legendary attained the new way in heart are account bound on aquire and every legendary etc going forward are going to be account bound too. so i doubt the prices will drop too far down

hythloday

These two days of streaming from ANET have been awesome and got me even more excited for HoT.

Next week during beta, I'll want to try out the Scrapper before jumping into raids. I wouldn't mind doing raids next week instead of Guild missions...guild missions are quite stale and boring nowadays.

I'm excited for the Druid spec more than anything else. The skills/weapon for Chronomancer didn't wow me, which made me a bit sad because I've been "RAWR MESMERS" since I started playing, but everything I've seen so far makes it seem like the playstyle could be exactly what I've been looking for.

I don't think I'll jump into raids right away though. Need to learn how to play Guild Wars 2 again first. Raids will be cool eventually. And the new story missions. Ack. I think I'm excited about GW2 again. :3

Retro

Same reason why I prefer Ghosts. It's a nice standalone and easily relatable adventure. Or as Retro said, good and simple pulp fiction. Sea of Sorrows is the more awesome novel, but it has a very wide scope and covers several years of time. If you wanted to read just one novel to appreciate the lore in GW2, I'd pick Sea of Sorrows. If you wanted to read a fun book, I'd pick Ghosts. If you really care about the game's storyline (primarily in dungeons), I'd pick Edge of Destiny.

The difference between Ghosts and Sea of Sorrows is super close, like Spyware mentioned. Totally depends on what mood you're in.

Still hoping they add some kind of dungeon path or something with Dougal Keane, like a new path in AC (not that they've given any indication they'll add to dungeons).

We need a roll call of people who will be available on Friday for the beta raid. Maybe we can get two runs going!

I expect this to go badly and would have it no other way. Nobody should be clearing that first boss if it's tuned right.

I wouldn't mind doing raids next week instead of Guild missions...guild missions are quite stale and boring nowadays.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't do guild missions for the missions or even the commendations. I do it because we all get together in one place to do something together. Even if it's a mission we've done a hundred times, it's still fun because of goofing off on mumble or showing new players the ropes and such. Raiding has a 10 player cap, and even if we field multiple raid groups (which we can certainly do, we had a lot of people on last night) you're still limited to just the 10 people you're with.

Hanging out with GAF never gets stale and boring.

Fishious

We need a roll call of people who will be available on Friday for the beta raid. Maybe we can get two runs going!

Hmm... maybe? I might be down for trying even though I'm pretty middle of the road as far as player skill goes. It would really depend on the time. Since I main ranger I was thinking I might try druid to fill a support position for the group, but if I don't have at least a couple of hours to get a handle on it I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I mean we're probably going to die horribly regardless, but I'd like to die horribly doing my best rather than because I mixed up glyph functions between regular and celestial form.

Also a few pages back I asked if it was possible to add some of my non-GAF friends to the guild. Is that something GAF guild still does or are we holding off on that due to the imminent release of HoT which will probably max out the guild again? For the most part I've been playing with a couple of my RL friends as part of a guild, but we haven't been able to progress much in fractals, dungeons, or guild missions since there's usually only 3 or 4 of us online. I haven't made it to any GAF stuff in a long time because the guild and friend schedules keep conflicting.

Regarding all the book talk I definitely recommend Ghosts. I started Sea of Sorrows a while back and like what I read, but never finished it due to getting busy with other stuff. Gotta get back to it sometime.

Edit: 9 PM? Yeah, I think I'll stick with regular ranger or reaper then. Tenatively mark me down for a spot.

Quenk

I probably won't make it to any raid on Friday night. I'd want to mess around with things and get comfortable with any specialization I want to use during it. Plus I can see it going pretty late if it's as hard as it should be.

Ashodin

I'm looking to spend maybe two hours on it. We'll go longer if people aren't tired, but I definitely want to give it a solid two hour collegiate try.

And fishious, we always prefer people playing actively now than holding spots. So give names! (Account)

M.D

Is there any way to fix the download speed in the client? This is the second time I'm trying to download the game and the download speed reaches 4MB/sec for short bursts then drops to basically 0 and starts rising up again, rinse and repeat

There's a solution in reddit that forces the client to download from a different server, but all the servers are pretty much the same

Goofing off is against policy.

Way to make it sound like I called hanging out with the guild, stale and boring. Some how in your head doing raids with the guild is not "hanging out".

Is there any way to fix the download speed in the client? This is the second time I'm trying to download the game and the download speed reaches 4MB/sec for short bursts then drops to and starts rising up again, resent and repeat

There's a solution in reddit that forces the client to download from a different server, but all the servers are pretty much the same

It's very slow for me as well, been trying since Thursday.

Fishious

I'm looking to spend maybe two hours on it. We'll go longer if people aren't tired, but I definitely want to give it a solid two hour collegiate try.

And fishious, we always prefer people playing actively now than holding spots. So give names! (Account)

Thanks. Account names are:

Deus.6704
CaptPriest.6042
Kade.8027

They should be on later today and I'll go over guild behavior and expectations with them, not that I foresee any issues.

This solves one of the issues that had been looming over me as I was unsure if we'd be able to capture a guild hall with just the 4 of us, and even then it looks like upgrades will be pretty material intensive. I'd also feel irresponsible putting so many mats towards my small guild when I could be contributing them to GAF.

Ashodin

Way to make it sound like I called hanging out with the guild, stale and boring. Some how in your head doing raids with the guild is not "hanging out".

I think, in general, the main draw to missions for most is to just play with GAF Guild. Retro was probably thinking you were thinking about only the rewards and/or repetition of the missions.

In terms of raiding instead of missions; not everyone has bought HoT or the time to raid (even in place of missions), and I'd like to not leave people who have come to appreciate the missions or want to do them regardless without any "event" for the weekend.

Ideally, I'd like to do both - missions on saturday, then put together a quick 10 man to jump into it after Friday's initial run.

Thanks. Account names are:

Deus.6704
CaptPriest.6042
Kade.8027

Added. And yes, becoming a part of the GAF Guild blob is always a winning proposition!

anime-poring.gif~c200

Retro

Guild Mission Make-ups in an hour!
Come hang out on mumble and rock out on https://plug.dj/gaf. Volunteers are always appreciated.

I'm thinking 9 pm like missions but a day earlier.

That's a touch late for most people, though it being a Friday and a special event that might be okay. I don't know if guilds are going to be enabled this time around (I'd guess no) so we'll have to organize as best we can (using the OT would probably help). Since it's only 10 people, I'm sure we'll be setting up attempts throughout the BWE.

Honestly, the low player cap and lack of obnoxious lock-out mechanics means the need for scheduling goes waaaaaaaay down. Raiding in other games has always required an "all or nothing" approach because it was difficult to get 20-40 people on together and doing the same thing (nerdherding) and you had crap like Raid IDs and lock out timers that made it hard to just casually jump in and play with anyone.

I don't know if it will be so laid back that people can just log in and say "Hey, need 6 more for Raid X", but I don't foresee a need for raid rosters and schedules and such just yet. I foresee the difficulty level being the main barrier of entry rather than the organizational headaches, which is just as it should be.

Also a few pages back I asked if it was possible to add some of my non-GAF friends to the guild. Is that something GAF guild still does or are we holding off on that due to the imminent release of HoT which will probably max out the guild again?

Friends and family are always welcome as long as they follow the Guild's policy (which is basically NeoGAF's TOS; no racist / sexist / homo/trans-phobic language and no trolling).

Is there any way to fix the download speed in the client? This is the second time I'm trying to download the game and the download speed reaches 4MB/sec for short bursts then drops to and starts rising up again, resent and repeat

Not sure if you've tried this already, but;
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/93290408-Problems-Downloading-or-Patching

All I said is that hanging out with the guild makes the state of guild missions worth putting up with.

This solves one of the issues that had been looming over me as I was unsure if we'd be able to capture a guild hall with just the 4 of us, and even then it looks like upgrades will be pretty material intensive. I'd also feel irresponsible putting so many mats towards my small guild when I could be contributing them to GAF.

Looks like Ash got your friends in already. That's really cool of you to want to contribute to GAF, and I'm glad that's an issue you don't have to worry about. Really appreciated.

In terms of raiding instead of missions; not everyone has bought HoT or the time to raid (even in place of missions), and I'd like to not leave people who have come to appreciate the missions or want to do them regardless out on a limb.

Yep, the other leaders and officers have been talking about it for a bit and with there being a hard cap on raids, it's flat out impossible that we'll always have exactly the right amount of people so that everyone who wants to raid can go at a specific time. Missions, on the other hand, have no cap and are accessible to everyone. We all kind of agree that we don't ever want to give up having that big guild event where we all hang out every week.

usea

I'll absolutely be down for raiding any time during the weekend. Unless it's awful or easy or something, I'll probably be on raiding most of the weekend. Although I have plans Friday night so I won't be on until after midnight.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if it's beaten by people in zerker gear on night 1 (assuming it's beatable, a lot of raids in games launch buggy and unbeatable, and this is just beta).

Ashodin

I'll absolutely be down for raiding. Unless it's awful or easy or something, I'll probably raid most of the weekend. On either druid or scrapper.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if it's beaten by people in zerker gear on night 1 (assuming it's beatable, a lot of raids in games launch buggy and unbeatable, and this is just beta).

Absolutely certain they want to test for this purpose. I have no doubt at all the bleeding edge guilds will kill it night one, they will be in there from the time the servers go up.

Fishious

Thanks Ash and Retro. I'm not sure we'll be able to make it in time for make up missions today, but we'll try to be there at least occasionally in the future. I'm aware GAF guild events aren't mandatory, but the few times I attended in the past were a blast so it'd be a shame to miss out too often.

Retro

Thanks Ash and Retro. I'm not sure we'll be able to make it in time for make up missions today, but we'll try to be there at least occasionally in the future. I'm aware GAF guild events aren't mandatory, but the few times I attended in the past were a blast so it'd be a shame to miss out too often.

Yep, like I said earlier, it's a good excuse to just get together as a guild and do something together. Everybody gets their commendations and some loot, but that's always been secondary to just hanging out and having fun (which is kind of my philosophy for the entire game, actually...)

So, for the Mumble, is that actually used a lot? Or just during Guild Events? Are there usually people in there?

It's been kinda quiet on mumble lately just because everyone's waiting for HoT. It gets packed during missions, but otherwise it's a few people jumping in for PVP matches or dungeons here and there. Otherwise it's just me stalking everyone from the AFK room (Istay connected so if the server crashes or something I'll know about it, that's all... honest... ¬_¬). Another month or so and it'll be jumping like it was last year.

Feel free to use it if you want to chat with friends or dungeon groups, it has a 50 player cap so we're not running out of room or anything.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played in ages, but was maybe interested in coming back at the expansion but it's £35 for the standard edition? Is that really the cheapest option? It seems very expensive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom