• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Eric Flannum left and went to Amazon Jira

And holy shit Anet stahp the stream(graphics)!

Yeah I saw that. I'm guessing he wanted to do something else after 10 years and a ton of projects. I wonder what his role was in the company post launch?

renfaireshotgun

Neo Member
Hi all, I'm new and would like to join the guild here. My display name is ares.9206 and I play as a Ranger. I started with the free account, altho I plan to buy the expansion possibly. I've been having fun so far, mainly just exploring the world and leveling up, now I'd like to make some friends and join in on the raids(when I get to a high enough level) and things!

Hi all, I'm new and would like to join the guild here. My display name is ares.9206 and I play as a Ranger. I started with the free account, altho I plan to buy the expansion possibly. I've been having fun so far, mainly just exploring the world and leveling up, now I'd like to make some friends and join in on the raids(when I get to a high enough level) and things!

I sent you a guild invite. Press 'G' on your keyboard to open the Guild Panel, and click the 'Accept' and 'Represent' buttons to join.

Hello, I would also like an invite to the guild. Display name is BalladOfRice.4569. Still pretty new to the game, so I don't really know much.

I did check out the stuff that was recently added to the store. Top hat would be nice, but I don't like how it makes my character's hair disappear. Might just get the glasses and earmuffs.

Taffer

NY689d8.jpg

I have an average lifespan of 51.6 minutes, bring on that challenging content.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
anyone think we will either see elona or cantha regions ?

Retro

anyone think we will either see elona or cantha regions ?

Hard to say. Kralkatorik is blocking Elona, and the Water dragon is presumably blocking Cantha. The Zephyrites were clearly getting around in their airship though, and it's not like every single airship was destroyed at the end of Season 2... so maybe once we're done in the Jungle we could head in that direction... but the big question would be why, when there's so many threats right on Kryta's doorstep. There's Dragons to the north (Jormag), east (Kralk), west (Mordremoth) and directly underground (Primordus). Heck, we don't know if you can even kill an Elder Dragon in the first place, or if their power just transfers to something else, meaning the Risen could become a threat too. On top of that there's non-dragon enemies like Palawa Joko, whatever might be left of the White Mantle, whoever the Emperor of Cantha is now (they're described as highly xenophobic, driving all non-humans out of the continent)...

There's lots of places they can go next and it's impossible to tell where they'll go. There's also tons of unexplored regions out there. The good news is, there's lots of story hooks so we'll never run into a situation where they're like "Oh, you know the joke race from April Fool's Day a decade ago that we threw in as an Easter egg? Let's build a whole expansion around that." Of course, that would mean we'd get an SAB expansion, and... hmm...

Ferrio

Banned
Dipping my feet back in to see if I want to play and continue on to Thorns. Logged in my lvl 3 mesmer who's been standing in the same place for 2 years. Used some lvl 30 boost and now I'm finally caught up on my personal quests.

One thing is Mesmer confuses the shit outta me. Thief I quickly figured out what kinda builds to make, but not quite sure what to do with Mesmer. I'm sure it'll come with experience, but it's a lot more obtuse than thief.

Zeroth

Dipping my feet back in to see if I want to play and continue on to Thorns. Logged in my lvl 3 mesmer who's been standing in the same place for 2 years. Used some lvl 30 boost and now I'm finally caught up on my personal quests.

One thing is Mesmer confuses the shit outta me. Thief I quickly figured out what kinda builds to make, but not quite sure what to do with Mesmer. I'm sure it'll come with experience, but it's a lot more obtuse than thief.

Mesmer is a particular class that requires some traits/skills to make sense. I think it really comes together at lv 80, so if you can get a hang of the wait you'll be fine

Retro

To echo what Zeroth said, the reason Mesmer is so odd is because there's not much in gaming to compare it to. There's a lot of interruption and dazes, boon/condition shenanigans and such. They use melee weapons to attack at range and a lot of their skills are there to just generate clones and phantasms which seem very similar at first but are actually quite distinct (in that regard, a part of me wishes that Phantasms were something other than copies of the mesmer and instead some kind of crazy, chaos monster illusions, but I digress).

I wouldn't go so far as to say you need to be 80 though (though being at 80 definitely gives you a better picture, so he's not wrong); at 30 you'll have one specialization slot, and maxing out the Dueling line is probably the best way to go to get a rough idea of what higher level Mesmer play is like since you'll have access to two traits that really 'sell' the profession's big draws; clone generation and shatter enhancement.

The first is "Blinding Dissipation" (second tier), which causes your illusions to inflict blind on shatter. Spending time with this trait active will help you get your head around the dance between letting your illusions hang out and cause damage or shattering them not just for damage but support as well. There are tons of other traits that make the shatter/not shatter decision harder, that strip boons from enemies, apply conditions, grant you boons or distortion, etc. This isn't the best example of them, but it's in the Dueling Line which is convenient for the second trait.

"Deceptive Evasion" (third tier) causes you to generate a clone when you dodge, and will give you an idea of how important illusion generation is. It's not as random as it seems at first and learning to balance illusion generation via weapon choice and utility skills with everything else is a big part of the class. They're not just an army of suicide bombers you always want to build three of and then immediately send in to detonate; phantasms can cause a lot of pain and injury just hanging around, and you can trait to take less damage or gain all sorts of passive benefits from just having them around. It's something you just have to get a feel for.

That's not all there is to the class, but I feel like those two aspects are essential to getting a 'feel' for how mesmer works; making illusions and using their passive abilities and shatter-based effects to control combat.

Edit: And of course, there's always the chance that Mesmer just isn't a profession that 'clicks' with you.

Hard to say. Kralkatorik is blocking Elona, and the Water dragon is presumably blocking Cantha. The Zephyrites were clearly getting around in their airship though, and it's not like every single airship was destroyed at the end of Season 2... so maybe once we're done in the Jungle we could head in that direction... but the big question would be why, when there's so many threats right on Kryta's doorstep. There's Dragons to the north (Jormag), east (Kralk), west (Mordremoth) and directly underground (Primordus). Heck, we don't know if you can even kill an Elder Dragon in the first place, or if their power just transfers to something else, meaning the Risen could become a threat too. On top of that there's non-dragon enemies like Palawa Joko, whatever might be left of the White Mantle, whoever the Emperor of Cantha is now (they're described as highly xenophobic, driving all non-humans out of the continent)...

There's lots of places they can go next and it's impossible to tell where they'll go. There's also tons of unexplored regions out there. The good news is, there's lots of story hooks so we'll never run into a situation where they're like "Oh, you know the joke race from April Fool's Day a decade ago that we threw in as an Easter egg? Let's build a whole expansion around that." Of course, that would mean we'd get an SAB expansion, and... hmm...

I think that if we look at HoT and their inclusion of gliding, it really speaks to the fact that ArenaNet does not seem want to add something just because it's in another MMO, but that they want to get the feeling and good attributes of said feature, but make it fit in a context that makes sense for GW2.
Regular mounts does not make sense, as running fast on a mount past events would be incremental to the way the world events work. Plus it would be redundant. Flying Mounts have negative psychological effects as we've seen in other MMOs,- Players begin to stop using the ground floor and simply fly everywhere. It creates a lot of problem and makes this feeling of abandoned land mass. I think including gliding was a wise choice. They are trying to abide by the idea of adding personalized alternative transportation, but in a context that makes sense for GW2.

And I honestly think, as crazy as it sounds that they might do something like Boats and Ships for the next one. HoT is not a big geographical expansion (in verticality, but not in horizontal landmass) and I think that after HoT, they will be interested in making a grand-epic-open experience that is a contrast to the dense jungle of HoT.
The open sea is perfect. Creating a new profession around ship building, and putting that elder wood to good use, will be a great guild sink. Creating guild ships is the next logical evolution of how to give guilds new things.

The premise? Cantha. You open up the southern parts of Orr, as the Crystal Desert is blocked, and each player will have to take the journey too Cantha by sea, and explore the now unfrozen Jade-Sea in Cantha, which was the entire plot focus of GW:Factions.

The cool thing is not only that it could be really fun to collect, work towards, personalize and design your own ships. From a shitty Quaggan Jolly to a massive Friget with Asuran technology, but also the type of encounters you could have. Wind Waker, AC: Black Flag, ArcheAge. Lots of possibilities for enemy encounters that jump on the ship, using the combat system of firing ship guns, motors, topedos, harpoons using ship controls, to being boarded by enemies, massive raid bosses on the surface of the water, and enemies that drag you into the water momentarily.

I think this sort of thing would be how to deal with "Bubbles". This is the way to access the Fire Isles and small obscure islands with secluded races and populations. The main stage of course should be Cantha, and for sure- The Water Effects and water particle systems would need updating to give a really nice satisfying tacticle experience of controlling a ship that cuts through water like butter.

It might seem redundant to go old water-based ships in a world with Airships, but with the pact fleet lying down in the jungle, maybe they wanna chill with the airships. Plus, Bubbles is a water dragon.
Making open seas can be grand, expansive and cost-free because it's just open water. I think it could be a lot of fun. I think underwater combat is one of those things that will never take on in long increments but could be better used in small bursts. Like having intelligent enemies that knows how to knock you off your boat and stuff like that. It would be interesting to see enemies in their own ships, or use ships vs ships battles in WvW during the capture of sea forts.

The best part of boats is that its an epic way to access cantha. To get that cantha waypoint you need to make the journey across the sea. Either by building your own boat, or hitching a hike on someone elses. And during the way across the world there should be floating ports, mysterious hidden islands, pirate / maruder strongholds, secluded pacific Tengu islands, whale hunting beaches, and so on. I think it could be a really cool alternative to "mounts".

... or they could do crystal desert and just give us a path to Cantha that way. That could work too. Or maybe both. At any rate I think they will do something different than HoT. Nightfall was so different from Factions. It feels like ArenaNet likes to try different stuff.

There is also the question of Orr. What is going on with that? Are those zones going to be updated to reflect that zhaitan has perished? what does a post-Zhaitan Orr look like? Does another dragon take its place, or zhaitans minions? would they turn it into a levelling zone, or a guild stronghold, and make some new place to do 3-ish lvl 80 end game Zones?

hythloday

There is also the question of Orr. What is going on with that? Are those zones going to be updated to reflect that zhaitan has perished? what does a post-Zhaitan Orr look like? Does another dragon take its place, or zhaitans minions? would they turn it into a levelling zone, or a guild stronghold, and make some new place to do 3-ish lvl 80 end game Zones?

I'd really love to see a cleaned up Orr, even if it's just more flashback type stuff in the LS. Aside from all the Risen and the rotten stuff, the underlying design is incredibly pretty, especially all the pearlescent surfaces and the stuff in Cursed Shore. Orr must have been gorgeous before it sunk. (And if you were a person who liked architecture with holes and circles, well then!)

I just hope if they are goo to continue with expansions, that they don't wait 3 years for another one.

They also need to figure out a way to shorten the living world breaks.

In order to accommodate development and hosting of Guild Wars 2 raids, we will be changing the time that guild mission resets take place each week. Starting Monday, October 5, 2015, guild mission resets will take place at 12:30 AM Pacific time each Monday.

Note: In order to make this adjustment there will be no reset on Saturday evening, October 3. Instead, that week’s guild mission period will be extended slightly to allow for this update. Subsequently, guild mission resets will occur each Monday morning, at 12:30 AM Pacific time.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Mission-Reset-Time-Changed/first

New Guild Mission reset time.

Tech-Wolf

In order to make this adjustment there will be no reset on Saturday evening, October 3. Instead, that week’s guild mission period will be extended slightly to allow for this update. Subsequently, guild mission resets will occur each Monday morning, at 12:30 AM Pacific time.

So no gm this weekend? If so heck yeah more beta time!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Started up an engineer, it is early goings (Name is Mrs Vanessa). Really love these hand cannons! I always had a thing for technology in a fantasy/magic setting

But how will I get more commendations I will never use this week?

I think Arenanet is doing a fantastic job of selling me on Heart of Thorns. It's probably just the timing on what they're revealing to use, but I feel like it's gonna be something big for the game. Part of it is a "they're finally getting it right this time" feeling, but the content itself sounds awesome too.

I think they'll definitely add Cantha and Elona at some point, as long as this expansion is a success.

Fishious

I like this. One of my favorite things from Ultima Online was owning a boat. I think you're on the money with regards to how GW2 alters and repurposes things found in other MMOs to better fit the game and sidestep the issues other games have had. Unfortunately, that's why I don't think boats as you've described them will really work.

If the boats are like any other player/creature in the game where they aren't solid and players can clip through each others boats how do you put multiple people on a boat? Do you have to be partied? Is the boat somehow solid for the party members, but no one else? Can the engine even do that? Or is everyone anchored to a specific point on the boat (wheel, weapons, etc). If it worked like this it would be contrary to passive cooperation in the rest of the game. People around you couldn't just hop on and help you defend your boat.

If the boats are solid that opens the door for griefing. If Archeage taught me anything it's that people will find a way to be dicks given the means. Even in the non-PvP areas I saw frequent blockades and players with bigger boats ramming the smaller boats to get them stuck. I'm pretty sure Arenanet had a GDC talk before GW2's release where they talked about how they considered events where players could contribute to different outcomes (like help/stop bandits), but axed it because it would make you dislike seeing other players (they could be on the other side!) and it opened the door to griefing. I can't really think of a way to make big boats work without compromising some of the other tenents of the game.

It could maybe work in WvW (solid boats that is) with the changes they're making to objective ownership. Have ports to capture and allow the controlling guild to field a number of ships based on the upgrade level that are used to siege and capture a Stonemist castle like island. It would prevent the sea lanes from just getting clogged with boats and allow guilds to field their own customized ships.

Given how we're getting gliding puzzles and how gamey adventures look I could see windsurfing with Wave Race style gameplay.

Retro

That is a shitty change, just give Raids the Monday reset..

They didn't say that raids are taking the old reset slot though. I think it's much more likely they'll both reset at midnight on Monday, so that players raiding Friday aren't getting their progress reset the next night. Instead, everything resets at the start of the week after everyone's done with the weekend.

So no gm this weekend? If so heck yeah more beta time!

Yes, from the official forums;
My guild does missions every Saturday right after reset – are you saying we shouldn’t bother this Saturday?

Pretty sure that’s accurate, because the reset will happen a week from tomorrow and not this coming Saturday.

So no guild missions this week I guess, or none that will give commendations at least. This might be a good week to do something Ike was talking about a few weeks ago; just burn the Guild Treks we've built for funsies. There's no reward, but it's something fun that tests your knowledge of the world (so long as nobody's a tool and looks all of them up!).

Of course, it's also the Beta Weekend as well, and if people want to get try and get a raid group or two going, there's a nice big pre-existing window with nothing to do now!

I think Arenanet is doing a fantastic job of selling me on Heart of Thorns. It's probably just the timing on what they're revealing to use, but I feel like it's gonna be something big for the game. Part of it is a "they're finally getting it right this time" feeling, but the content itself sounds awesome too.

I like the language they were using during TwitchCon: that they've got things where they want them for now in terms of content platforms and instead of adding new ones to the game they're going to just build on what already exists.

So instead of a new big thing, hopefully we'll see more Fractals, Raids, Activities, Adventures, Guild Missions (hopefully more on that this week!) and maybe some dungeon revamps or new paths if we're lucky?

We've been saying for a while now that ArenaNet is very good at making platforms for content but not following through. Maybe they figured an expansion is a good time to change that.

Spyware

Perfection.

Honestly I hope my leading was ok. I tend to be hit or miss on that. Either I explain stuff way to much and people fall asleep / get more confuse then helping or I explain too few and not at the right time leading to some funky moment.
It was good so no worries :) Cresc says he really appreciated it too.

Jira

Eventually we'll see both, I'm quite certain. I kind of feel Elona will be first.

They know Cantha is a huge nostalgia boner for lots of vets and probably want to use it as late in the life cycle as possible.

Elona will be first because Colin promised it to me.

Morokh

Those look like halloween-level of silly, I hope thy are skins and/or tonics you can get during the event.

Random question : how does 'Wildwraith' sound for a Charr Thief warband name ?

I have 3 Charrs to name to reserve names I like cause with them I'll have my initial roster of (9) characters of each profession, and I'm a bit struggling with more lore-friendly names, and trying to avoid the usual word+bodypart combo xD and everything sounds sooooo over the top that I just can't settle for something.

Spyware

Random question : how does 'Wildwraith' sound for a Charr Thief warband name ?

I have 3 Charrs to name to reserve names I like cause with them I'll have my initial roster of (9) characters of each profession, and I'm a bit struggling with more lore-friendly names, and trying to avoid the usual word+bodypart combo xD and everything sounds sooooo over the top that I just can't settle for something.
I think Wildwraith sounds good. Which part is the warband name?

I have no problems coming up with warband names but the second word is annoying. I don't really like most body part names for charr (like fur, claw and fang) but heart and some others are okay. I actually have a few that use the same word in their names because I think it's so hard to figure out good ones :p
I use four warband names and put my charr into them based on the bio choices in the CC. The names are "Fell" for the Blood warband (decided long before release, so we got pretty annoyed that a personal story character had the name xD), "Dust" for the Ash warband and "Soot" for the Iron one. On the EU account I use "Indium" and it's an Iron warband. Cresc used the same warband names so together we have:

Indiumgaze
Indiumheart
Indiumstride
Fellfury
Fellreign
Fellgaze
Fellcraze
Fellzeal
Fellsteel
Dustreaver
Dustschemer
Dustwalker
Dustrazer
Duststalker
Dustsneerer
Sootreign
Sootheart
Sootrive
Sootstride
Sootquell
Sootpounce

Fellfury is my fav :p I don't care if it's over the top because charr are pretty much like that :p

Morokh

I think Wildwraith sounds good. Which part is the warband name?

I have no problems coming up with warband names but the second word is annoying. I don't really like most body part names for charr (like fur, claw and fang) but heart and some others are okay. I actually have a few that use the same word in their names because I think it's so hard to figure out good ones :p

I recently got a few more character slots so that I could make one character of each race, and each armor type (so that I'm not locked out of racial stuff in the Fashion Wars part xD) so that will make 15 chars when I'm done, but I want to finish the core of 1 profession of each first, so my Charrs are in the way.

So for my 3 Charr characters I have a Blood-Legion Thief, an Ash-Legion Mesmer, and an Iron Legion Revenant planned.

For the Thief if I use that name the warband part would be 'Wild', I made him Wildclaw for now, and was considering Wildmane but that doesn't go well with the look I have for him (The crazy Charr haircut will be for my revenant but with a different name)
The idea behind the 'Wild' warband is that it's a warband that is specialized in disturbing and bringing chaos to ennemy lines.

I'm not much of a roleplayer in general, but for the small amount of it that I do I like getting my names right, and if I don't like the name you can be sure I won't play the character in the end xD

For my revenant I'm onto 'Wise'-something (as in an Iron legion strategist warband) or 'Lore'-something (which hasn't really any RP idea tied to it yet)

I also have to find some other names for other races, but if not for another Asura name that I would really like without a title, It won't be that hard to find :p

#firstGW2problems

Spyware

I recently got a few more character slots so that I could make one character of each race, and each armor type (so that I'm not locked out of racial stuff in the Fashion Wars part xD) so that will make 15 chars when I'm done, but I want to finish the core of 1 profession of each first, so my Charrs are in the way.
I made 15 characters at release for the same reason :D Waaaay past that now tho.

The idea behind the 'Wild' warband is that it's a warband that is specialized in disturbing and bringing chaos to ennemy lines.
That's cool! I really like the Wild name :)

I'm not much of a roleplayer in general, but for the small amount of it that I do I like getting my names right, and if I don't like the name you can be sure I won't play the character in the end xD
Exactly like me then :D I've changed my norn names around a whole lot but the rest are pretty safe :p

MikeDip

I've been grinding nonstop for a few days. Lookie. Now my game feels complete :D Season 2 bought through in game gold to gems.

Honestly, I'm not grinded out yet. I am thinking of doing it again for that cool sprocket mining pick but I dunno if I'll make it. Also wanna get back to the story and map completion. I also just started an engineer. Ah...

Morokh

I've been grinding nonstop for a few days. Lookie. Now my game feels complete :D Season 2 bought through in game gold to gems.

Honestly, I'm not grinded out yet. I am thinking of doing it again for that cool sprocket mining pick but I dunno if I'll make it. Also wanna get back to the story and map completion. I also just started an engineer. Ah...

Pace yourself, have a bit of fun with your engineer and play through that story, even if you miss the pick right now it certainly will come back, and maybe even on sale. (convert some gems when they're low, and put them aside just in case)
You seem to have a lot of fun with the game don't burn yourself on it ;D

Tech-Wolf

Before you start season 2, I would suggest that you finish your personal story. then either watch the in-game speech about season 1 , aka scarlet war, to meet your new allies or via other means, youtube and such, but this could take a while to watch/read.

MikeDip

Before you start season 2, I would suggest that you finish your personal story. then either watch the in-game speech about season 1 , aka scarlet war, to meet your new allies or via other means, youtube and such, but this could take a while to watch/read.

I plan to, don't worry! I'm the type of person to go read a dozen books or play though an entire series of games if they are relevant and before a different book/game I want to read/play (Just didn't want to miss the 20% off so I grinded it out as soon as possible)

Pace yourself, have a bit of fun with your engineer and play through that story, even if you miss the pick right now it certainly will come back, and maybe even on sale. (convert some gems when they're low, and put them aside just in case)
You seem to have a lot of fun with the game don't burn yourself on it ;D

Heh, don't worry. I know how to pace myself. I'm just also not good at saying no to myself once I make up my mind. And I made up my mind a few days ago to grind out to get season 2 since I really wanted it.

I have medical OCD. It's hard to control these things :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is spamming PvP the best way to get level up books? I really CBA levelling to 80 again but if I do get the expansion I'll want the new class. I have 20 books right now.

Quenk

Is spamming PvP the best way to get level up books? I really CBA levelling to 80 again but if I do get the expansion I'll want the new class. I have 20 books right now.

If you want a lot in a short period of time, PvP is the way to go. You also get a decent number of them over the course of the month just from login rewards.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I really wish I had just logged in once a day instead of quitting entirely for months, I'd probably have about 50 extra by now, if not more.

I am so bored of GW2 downloaded Wildstar F2P last night, so far it's meh, already hate the fact i have to pick up a quest, (damn I am spoiled by GW2) gonna give it till level 10 if it doesn't hold my interest... uninstall..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom