• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

usea

I really cannot see the statement about ascended gear being true. The difference between professions is much larger than the difference between exotic and ascended gear. In order to tune the encounters tightly enough to need ascended gear (such as an enrage timer), they would need massive balance changes to the professions to homogenize them in a way that is not currently done. There's no way you can have an enrage timer that can't be beaten in exotic gear, but can also be beaten with most group makeups in ascended gear. Some party combinations are simply way better than others.

It would have to require some kind of gimmick mechanic that requires ascended gear like agony. They specifically said it's not agony, but it could be some other mastery or whatever that only works on ascended gear.

Honestly, even though they've hired raid designer(s) and have high end guild(s) supposedly testing this content, I'm still not confident in anet's ability to balance pve content for non-casual players. I think it's a mistake to read too much into these kind of statements. pre-emptive edit: casual is the wrong word here, sorry.

I don't think it'll be needed, just rather it's tuned for ascended. It'll just be a teensy bit more difficult.
This is where I'd put my money, too. Which means people will be beating it in whatever gear, with whatever classes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah that's the thing, if Ascended gear is dropping from the early bosses you may just need to farm them for a few weeks with your group before progressing, which isn't abnormal. I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes to raiding in GW2, I was a hardcore raider in WoW (top 20 world) but now I'm old with a fucked back and no friends who play this game so it's unlikely I'll have a stable group, hopefully the early bosses will be doable with a good LFG team.
I wouldn't mind running the first bits to "gear up" with Ascended gear even if I couldn't yet beat the final boss; indeed that would be a fun way for me to get Ascended gear since I don't have the desire to craft it.

The odd thing is she says the final boss will need full ascended but the early bosses could be done by "top-tier players with a mix of exotic/ascended" (which I don't have anyway :p)

In terms of pure technicality I don't really understand how this could be possible unless the bosses are utilizing Agony... because the actual stat differential between exotic and ascended isn't all that dramatic. So that's a bit puzzling. Other things make more of a difference than Exotic vs. Ascended in terms of DPS... just naming the very surface levels for example, gear stat combo and class distribution. I mean if the enrage timers are going to be so tight that the minor DPS difference from a few ascended versus exotic pieces per player will make the difference, it sort of follows that it'll be impossible to do the raids with any combination of classes (even doing all the specialization possible), instead requiring specific combinations for maximum DPS+sustainability, which is just kind of wholly against the spirit of the game thus far. I'm sure there are those for whom this would be a wonderful change but I'd have no interest in it whatsoever.

edit: ha goddamnit usea.

edit: Damn Emilie I missed that. Hope you can get a new rig soon L(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty confident you don't NEED full Ascended, it'll just make it easier. Good players will overcome the stat difference with skill, like in every MMO.

Jira

WvW guild missions sound pretty cool to me. PvP guild missions seem a bit chaotic to do in any organized way but hopefully it's something our groups that do PvP can just sort of do at their leisure.

The other mechanical stuff in this post all sounds fine though not exciting. The addition of difficulty selectors, and this-

are both nice.

Gotta say though the language here just barely avoids stating or implying that there won't be any new PvE guild missions with the launch of the expansion and that's a bit on the disappointing side.

I didn't expect them given the sheer work going into the jungle itself. Maybe we'll get more in S3 or a feature pack?

Zeroth

The difference between ascended to exotic is small, but add it up to 10 people and its understandable why it would matter. Specially in a context where a exotic zerker vs a ascended zerker have a 15% damage difference, for example.

There's no way you can have an enrage timer that can't be beaten in exotic gear, but can also be beaten with most group makeups in ascended gear. Some party combinations are simply way better than others.

Who said most group makeups would be able to beat it? If it's not balanced around being at least somewhat challenging for the best gear and the best party makeup, what's the point? You can't start from somewhere in the middle and make it hard there, or it ends up super easy for more optimal groups, which is the same problem we already have in dungeons and fractals.

...people will be beating it in whatever gear, with whatever classes.

Which would completely defeat the purpose of why people asked for raids and challenging content. We don't need more of the same.

Trey

W3gbdjF.gif

dat shield skin

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3mv40f/datamining_upcoming_features_from_the_september/

gorgeous

usea

Who said most group makeups would be able to beat it? If it's not balanced around being at least somewhat challenging for the best gear and the best party makeup, what's the point? You can't start from somewhere in the middle and make it hard there, or it ends up super easy for more optimal groups, which is the same problem we already have in dungeons and fractals.

Which would completely defeat the purpose of why people asked for raids and challenging content. We don't need more of the same.
Most of my mmos experience is in end-game, bleeding-edge raid content. Trying to be the first guild on a server to beat new content, with 40 people, 5 nights a week. I would relish such content, but I would also be pretty surprised to see that happen in guild wars. I think they will try to target the balance somewhere in the middle like you said, and there will still be groups who find the optimum mix of professions/roles to trivialize it / speedrun it just like dungeons and fractals. That's just the nature of the game unless they make some significant changes. Or I could be wrong, and we get super hard content which only 1% of players will beat :D

Jira

Yep, agreed on all points.

Most of my mmos experience is in end-game, bleeding-edge raid content. Trying to be the first guild on a server to beat new content, with 40 people, 5 nights a week. I would relish such content, but I would also be pretty surprised to see that happen in guild wars. I think they will try to target the balance somewhere in the middle like you said, and there will still be groups who find the optimum mix of professions/roles to trivialize it / speedrun it just like dungeons and fractals. That's just the nature of the game unless they make some significant changes. Or I could be wrong, and we get super hard content which only 1% of players will beat :D

They've specifically said raids are built to be the most challenging content in the game. It's not going to be for everyone. Balancing around the very best stats you can have is the only way to handle this. If you balance around anything less, the group with the best stats have that much easier of a time and could even trivialize mechanics/fights.

For me personally, I need to get in there on friday to get an idea of how things work so I know just what kind of stats I'm going to want and why. As of right now, building any gear could end up being a waste without the full picture.

I think what we'll end up seeing is the first 1-2 bosses of a wing will be beatable in a mix of exo/ascended with the final boss of each requiring full ascended to beat. So in that case eventually you'll have 3-6 chances per week at getting a piece of ascended gear to help tackle the final bosses of the wings.

Taffer

Like jira said, its tied to how the bosses are balanced. The earlier raid bosses will need a mix of at least exotic+ascended, while the last one will be balanced solely on ascended.

Given ascended drops have been confirmed, i think its safe to say this process will be easier than it looks right now.

I don't doubt that everything will turn out fine in-game but that tweet was asking for a shitstorm of speculation from players. It's almost time for a new OT, people are going to go insane with every info nugget they see.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't expect them given the sheer work going into the jungle itself. Maybe we'll get more in S3 or a feature pack?
Would be cool to have some themed ones pop up in a LS release. Feels a little funny to have all these mechanical changes to the way they work being implemented but the meat and potatoes of what you're actually doing to remain exactly the same. I do need to keep in mind that not all guilds are big enough to knock out a full set without any trouble twice a week

Retro

It's almost time for a new OT, people are going to go insane with every info nugget they see.

23 days, can't push it until the day before release (I think, checking in the OT OT now). Whether we get through 8000 posts before then, I can't say.

nataku

I don't really care if we get new guild mission types, but not having missions set in the jungle at all would just be strange. I'd have to imagine there would be at least some in there.

One thing I was hoping for was a complete re-work of treks. Such a useless mission type. Tie it to jumping puzzles or something, at the very least.

Taffer

23 days, can't push it until the day before release (I think, checking in the OT OT now). Whether we get through 8000 posts before then, I can't say.

I was assuming a week before (and that you'd already bagged it and that we'll all move there because it's a shiny new thread).

Morokh

Just to get back at the ascended balance thing, don't foget that Fractals in general are getting way more accessible and quicker to complete, and they also reward Ascended drops.

Personally I'm happy to have confirmation that it is actually balanced around that, it's one thing less to worry about the difficulty and balance of raids.

Just finished watching Guild-Chat too and boy that guild hall looked big ! O_O

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just to get back at the ascended balance thing, don't foget that Fractals in general are getting way more accessible and quicker to complete, and they also reward Ascended drops.

Personally I'm happy to have confirmation that it is actually balanced around that, it's one thing less to worry about the difficulty and balance of raids.

Just finished watching Guild-Chat too and boy that guild hall looked big ! O_O

What's changing in Fractals? I've only ever done one and it was a bit of a chore with randoms.

Thorgal

I just discovered the joy of SHIFT + alt + numlock .

It turns your + key on your numpad into a mouseclick button .

I now go through full stacks of luck like a whale goes through plankton .

Retro

I was assuming a week before (and that you'd already bagged it and that we'll all move there because it's a shiny new thread).

Yeah, I thought I had read somewhere that they dropped it to one day instead of seven, got confirmation in the OT OT just now. It'll go up on the 22nd at the earliest.

I don't think will burn through 8000 posts in that time, but it might be close... which is fine, honesty, I don't like the idea of leaving OTs unfinished, it looks like we jumped ship early, even if we are just moving to a new Expansion thread on gaming side for that first 30 days.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just discovered the joy of SHIFT + alt + numlock .

It turns your + key on your numpad into a mouseclick button .

I now go through full stacks of luck like a whale goes through plankton .

I'm using X-Mouse Button, it's a small, portable bit of software that lets you remap buttons to keys (and lots of other features). I use it to bind mouse wheel down and up to keys, which gives me 2 more binds on my mouse.

Mxrz

Its a running joke in my guild that I craft a lot of ascended stuff. Unless something changes, future Revenant will be unaware gear tiers exist between white and Ascended. But I don't care for the sound of it being required at all.

The more they talk, the more I doubt they understand players abilities or the game, but assuming they are right, even now terms like 'enrage timers' 'dps checks' are being speculated on. Imo these are terrible, tired elements that have been done before and are about as fun as a sack of bricks. But moreso, I'd hate to learn that my friends suddenly aren't good enough for PvE content, and that I need to go play with like-minded obsessive types in order to access this content (Higher bosses.) If I can't do stuff with my friends, then wtf is the point?

Rather hope this isn't going to be a case of WoW-like content for former WoW players. Thats not good at any level.

tiijj

Its a running joke in my guild that I craft a lot of ascended stuff. Unless something changes, future Revenant will be unaware gear tiers exist between white and Ascended. But I don't care for the sound of it being required at all.

The more they talk, the more I doubt they understand players abilities or the game, but assuming they are right, even now terms like 'enrage timers' 'dps checks' are being speculated on. Imo these are terrible, tired elements that have been done before and are about as fun as a sack of bricks. But moreso, I'd hate to learn that my friends suddenly aren't good enough for PvE content, and that I need to go play with like-minded obsessive types in order to access this content (Higher bosses.) If I can't do stuff with my friends, then wtf is the point?

Rather hope this isn't going to be a case of WoW-like content for former WoW players. Thats not good at any level.

Well it's supposed to be a challenging group content so it's not something that you can do casually. I'm not saying that it's a good thing or a bad thing but the point is that anet is trying to cater to other (pve) players who wants something a little bit more challenging than the ones that we have right now. Even at the current difficulty level that we have, there are players who are left out since they are not good enough or they don't like that particular pve content (ie higher level fractals, dungeons, pve achievements). Another example would be if you don't like socializing with other people and prefer to play alone or with a friend or two then guild missions/halls/etc... are probably going to be one of those restricted pve content. My point is that there are different players with different ways to play the game, the way they want to play the game might restrict the content that's available to everyone. Anet is just trying to give different kinds of contents for different kinds of players.

I do see your point but this might be something catered to people who wants this content. They really can't please everybody so they are trying to please as much people without forcefully restricting them, you know those hard restrictions.

Popping in for my monthy/bi-monthly comment.

Requiring Ascended Gear for the Raid goes against the spirit of the game as Anet described it. I understand that they're aiming to provide content for a certain kind of player but if they can't design challenging content without having to balance it for the highest stat, then I don't see how this doesn't become a treadmill in the future.

People will always find ways to gain as many advantages as possible. Gear gating will lead to class/build gating by way of the community the same way speed running dungeons did but on a larger scale. No bueno I say.

tiijj

Popping in for my monthy/bi-monthly comment.

Requiring Ascended Gear for the Raid goes against the spirit of the game as Anet described it. I understand that they're aiming to provide content for a certain kind of player but if they can't design challenging content without having to balance it for the highest stat, then I don't see how this doesn't become a treadmill in the future.

People will always find ways to gain as many advantages as possible. Gear gating will lead to class/build gating by way of the community the same way speed running dungeons did but on a larger scale. No bueno I say.

It will be a treadmill if they introduce another tier of gear when they release a new set of raid and then another tier when they release another set of raid after than and so on and so forth. Which they mentioned that they won't do but it is sorta like a treadmill but with the mastery system, hey you need some sort of progression right? at least it's not a gear treadmill.

I agree, that's one of the bad things about the challenging content. You get a community "rule" for certain things. It's been happening for a very long time with the speed runners and the agony resistance on higher level fractals.

Thorgal

Why would Anet design and balance their ultimate challenging group content on exotics ? that means that a group of 10 each in full ascended stuff would be facerolling over it in no time.

Eventough it is nowhere stated that it will be a requirement to do it , i fully believe that they will ,.

The aswer is simply as you said :it is not for everyone .
this piece of content ,like fractals is not for the group of people who pick exotic gear and then call it a day.

This Content is for the player group that wants hard and challenging content and will strife to make their toons as best as possible in the game and wil spend every coin and effort to do so in order to get the ultimate prestige item that will be in the game - legendary armor.

spiritfox

I'm fine with then balancing for BiS, the only problem is that ascended equips other than accessories are such a pain to acquire, which is contrary to Anet's philosophy for the rest of the game. Even if ascended drops are going to be more common, it's still a random tossup if you'll get the part you need.

Why have you all forgotten that exotic to ascended really isn't that big of a jump and it's not like they aren't allowing you to run it without ascended armor they just need to design it such that getting ascended doesn't mean you just faceroll everything.

Spyware

I'm fine with then balancing for BiS, the only problem is that ascended equips other than accessories are such a pain to acquire, which is contrary to Anet's philosophy for the rest of the game. Even if ascended drops are going to be more common, it's still a random tossup if you'll get the part you need.
I'm guessing you'll get a chest where you can pick what part you want. With the simple new way to change stats on ascended stuff, getting the wrong stats is pretty minor too. It's not gonna be even close to WoW's "One random leather chest dropped, now fight with the rest of the group for it. Oh you're a plate user? Good luck next week!".

I'll also bet that we will have groups where the majority have ascended gear and then it shouldn't matter if we bring people with exotics with us too. It's probably not doable (at least not immediately) with a full group of exo, but if you have no ascended stuff and the rest of the group does, it won't matter.

It will be a treadmill if they introduce another tier of gear when they release a new set of raid and then another tier when they release another set of raid after than and so on and so forth. Which they mentioned that they won't do but it is sorta like a treadmill but with the mastery system, hey you need some sort of progression right? at least it's not a gear treadmill.

I agree, that's one of the bad things about the challenging content. You get a community "rule" for certain things. It's been happening for a very long time with the speed runners and the agony resistance on higher level fractals.

The reason why I think it's a precursor to treadmill is that, if by not balancing to Ascended it makes wearing Ascended effective enough to trivialize the mechanics.. how will they avoid that in the next raid even if balanced at Ascended?

Basically, if the mechanics themselves aren't where the challenge comes from but instead it's the stats.. how do they avoid the next raid being easily completed by people who are now familiar and comfortable with the mechanics?

Why would Anet design and balance their ultimate challenging group content on exotics ? that means that a group of 10 each in full ascended stuff would be facerolling over it in no time.

Eventough it is nowhere stated that it will be a requirement to do it , i fully believe that they will ,.

The aswer is simply as you said :it is not for everyone .
this piece of content ,like fractals is not for the group of people who pick exotic gear and then call it a day.

This Content is for the player group that wants hard and challenging content and will strife to make their toons as best as possible in the game and wil spend every coin and effort to do so in order to get the ultimate prestige item that will be in the game - legendary armor.

Design it around exotics but make the challenge originate from the mechanics themselves, just as they've done with dungeons. If a mechanic is too easily overcome by additional stats, then the mechanic itself needs adjusting in a manner that doesn't allow that.

Now I'm not saying that stat dependent mechanics such as Agony or Enrage Timers are bad in and of themselves but that's definitely not in the spirit of the original design. Gear and Build checks themselves aren't actually challenging either. Just time consuming and restricting. The fact is, even if they balance around Ascended, it's only a matter of time before people discover Class Builds and Raid Comps that trivialize the content just as much as Ascended would have if it were balanced around Exotics if not moreso.

It's impossible to balance for every statistical variable, so why not focus on balancing around technique and execution instead?

Mxrz

I'm going on the the basis of the premise they stated. In game, I don't see it as that big a difference.

But I do not like the design philosophy that points to. More Numbers is not the only, nor best way to go about offering a challenge. Illadri wasn't about the numbers, and that's about the most challenging pve content we've had. In GW1, Kanaxi wasn't difficult compared to Urgoz because of any numbers.

Numbers also require more numbers in the future if the challenge is to continue. If the number boost from exotic to ascended can make such a difference with the later bosses, then what about the one after that? Making the numbers a deciding factor is a slippery road to head down.

Moreso. What happens if people go out this weekend and curbstomp the bosses. Do they dump even more numbers on them? Where and how exactly is the line between 'people can do it' and 'not challenging' enough defined, and by who? Take it to the extreme. Say that goku fella goes out and solos a boss, but no one else comes close. Is the content suddenly spoiled cause one person found it too easy? If not, how many does it take? Its too vague a concept to be a defining guideline imo.

tiijj

The reason why I think it's a precursor to treadmill is that, if by not balancing to Ascended it makes wearing Ascended effective enough to trivialize the mechanics.. how will they avoid that in the next raid even if balanced at Ascended?

Basically, if the mechanics themselves aren't where the challenge comes from but instead it's the stats.. how do they avoid the next raid being easily completed by people who are now familiar and comfortable with the mechanics?

I'm not sure what you mean by not balancing it the ascended and balancing the next one. Are you referring to the dev tweet/post? >> "Earlier wing bosses can prob be killed by top tier players in mix of asc/ex. Last boss should be full asc."

Things do get easier when you are familiar with the mechanics vs when you're not. How easier does it get is unknown at this time since we really don't know how hard or how the masteries affect the mechanics of the raid instance.

★ Jumping Puzzle Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 7 ☆

Event #7 - Behem Gauntlet, Craze's Folly

Required Character Level: 1 (50 Recommended)
Required Zone: Blazeridge Steppes

Recommended Waypoints:
Behem Waypoint - [&BP0BAAA=]
Terra Carorunda Waypoint - [&BAECAAA=]

This event will take place 30 minutes after server reset (8:30 PM EDT) on Wednesday night.

Around 10 minutes before the event, we will hop into Mumble and start collecting at the entrance to the zone to help anyone missing the waypoints. We'll get started as soon as everyone is ready!

★ Dungeon Event Series ★
☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY OCTOBER 4 ☆

Event #10 - Crucible of Eternity
Story Mode, Explorable Paths 1-3

Required Character Level: 80
Required Zone: Mount Maelstrom

All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

For each full party that completes a given week's dungeon run, five gold will be added to a door prize from which one participant's name will be drawn. So if five parties complete the event, you have a chance at winning an extra twenty-five gold! The more people who show up, the more money you can win!

☆ REMAINING DUNGEON EVENT SCHEDULE ☆

#10 - October 4 - Crucible of Eternity
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

#11 - October 11 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 1/2

#12 - October 18 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 3/4​

☆ DUNGEON MASTER CHALLENGE ☆

Callunah, Tyliout, Sonicbug, Crescendo, and Falsetto are currently the only members eligible for the original two hundred gold prize. In the case that all five complete the challenge, the prize will be increased so that each is guaranteed at least fifty gold.​

spiritfox

I'm guessing you'll get a chest where you can pick what part you want. With the simple new way to change stats on ascended stuff, getting the wrong stats is pretty minor too. It's not gonna be even close to WoW's "One random leather chest dropped, now fight with the rest of the group for it. Oh you're a plate user? Good luck next week!".

I'll also bet that we will have groups where the majority have ascended gear and then it shouldn't matter if we bring people with exotics with us too. It's probably not doable (at least not immediately) with a full group of exo, but if you have no ascended stuff and the rest of the group does, it won't matter.

That's still dependent on a random chest drop, unless they made it so that you are guaranteed a chest after every boss.

In the end, we need more info. All we have is this single tweet, which is the worst way to convey information. We'll see after the community starts doing raids seriously whether ascended is really needed.

Speaking of raids, what's the plan for Fri? Who's running, and I assume we need at least gliding unlock first?

I'm not sure what you mean by not balancing it the ascended and balancing the next one. Are you referring to the dev tweet/post? >> "Earlier wing bosses can prob be killed by top tier players in mix of asc/ex. Last boss should be full asc."

Things do get easier when you are familiar with the mechanics vs when you're not. How easier does it get is unknown at this time since we really don't know how hard or how the masteries affect the mechanics of the raid instance.

I wasn't referencing the tweet. What I'm saying is, with this being the first Raid... if they feel they need to balance for the highest stats to create difficulty, then it seems to me that they're having trouble creating the proper difficulty through mechanics alone. If that's the case then I question their ability to avoid creating the gear treadmill for the next raid.

tiijj

I wasn't referencing the tweet. What I'm saying is, with this being the first Raid... if they feel they need to balance for the highest stats to create difficulty, then it seems to me that they're having trouble creating the proper difficulty through mechanics alone. If that's the case then I question their ability to avoid creating the gear treadmill for the next raid.

It's a mastery treadmill, I think they mentioned that somewhere. Instead of introducing a new level cap or another tier of gear they'll just release new masteries which I guess counts as a mechanic or something that's tied to the mechanics of that particular content.

They feel that they need to balance it for the highest stat's probably because it is the highest stat, the challenging group content is basically the ultimate endgame challenge and the highest stat (ascended) is the highest endgame stat.

Aside from speculations of whatever infusion or mechanics they might add, the highest stat should be the highest stat for the coming raid content and the future raid content, the treadmill is "grinding" in order to unlock masteries, I guess.

spiritfox

Wow, didn't realize that guild halls are an actual part of the map. Lost Precipice looks huge.

Also ascended pieces are available for BWE3 at the raid start.

Edit: Night sigils don't work in the raid. RIP meta.

Regardless of what mechanics they add to an encounter, a large part of fighting enemies will always involve using your weapon skills to damage the boss and having enough armor and health to survive the boss's attacks. They have to balance around Ascended stats first or players will do damage too quickly or survive too easily with better gear, and a lot of challenge is removed in that case. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand here. Numbers do matter in video games when many of the things you do are precisely calculated.

For years we've been playing a game that feels like it was balanced around Rare gear tops. It's time to raise the bar, and only balancing around Exotic doesn't do enough to ensure the full intended challenge is really there for everyone.

Can anyone toss me an invite - Ocyress Don.1609

Invite sent. Press 'G' on your keyboard to open the Guild Panel, and click the 'Accept' and 'Represent' buttons to join.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
All you need to do is show up on Sunday and keep an eye on guild chat. We'll start forming groups around 4:15pm EDT. Make sure you have any waypoint in Mount Maelstrom so you can jump in.

Cool! I'll be there unless something terrible happens to me before then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom