• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanrutcon

Don't feel bad. All Engi GafFungen runs are the best.

So what's the current situation with dungeons? Just watched a video where a dude was going on about dungeons being all about exploitation, mob skipping, stacking and reflect abuse.

That does not sound fun.

So what's the current situation with dungeons? Just watched a video where a dude was going on about dungeons being all about exploitation, mob skipping, stacking and reflect abuse.

That does not sound fun.

Yeah if you run dungeons with Ike, Zeroth and Levyne it is pretty much that.
this is a joke, not sure what strategy they employ in dungeoneering

GAF used to do "GAFSmash" runs where they kill everything on site without stacking but I doubt that many people are running dungeons like that anymore.

Morokh

Thanks. I will make a warrior as well.

Just play what you want/like, your thief will be just fine and even extremely valuable for skipping trash with stealth for instance.

You'll be able to do dungeons effectively, be it with pugs or with the guild with any class as they pretty much all can bring something valuable to the group on top of their own damage.

The only exception to that might be Necro, cause it really lacks group utility, but that doesn't mean you're a dead-weight (no pun intended :p ) for the group either.

That does not sound fun.

Thats basically the state of dungeons right now (save for Fractals), and that's why most people only use it as a fast reliable source of income by doing the shortest/easiest paths.

You can do them the regular way, but you'll have to create your own group and warn people.

leng jai

GAF used to do "GAFSmash" runs where they kill everything on site without stacking but I doubt that many people are running dungeons like that anymore.

No one does dungeons or pvp in our guild. Everyone just replays LS missions all day.

leng jai

So have there been any new dungeons announced for HoT? It's ridiculous that's been almost 3 years and we haven't had a single new dungeon added.

Mxrz

More dungeons similar to what we have now would just be a waste. I'd rather see a whole new interpretation rather than just checking a box off a list.

OrigiNull

So what's the best way to get get Globs of Dark Matter? I've read you get them from salvaging exotics but I've never seen one drop.....?

So what's the best way to get get Globs of Dark Matter? I've read you get them from salvaging exotics but I've never seen one drop.....?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Dark_Matter

The only reliable way of getting dark matter is by salvaging exotics level 68 or higher. You can get a possible 0-3 yield per salvage. You should be using the best salvage kits you can get for exotics (i.e. Black Lion Salvage Kit) although a Master's Salvage Kit is also decent if you don't have any Black Lion Salvage Kits.

Morokh

They don't drop often, but they do drop ... sometimes :p

My most reliable source of salvageable exotics comes from doing dungeons and buying dungeon gear (for skins and collections) from the dungeon vendors and salvage them, but if you don't care about skins just buy the cheapest.

That way you get ectos, Globs, and even inscriptions if you're lucky, great way to make a bit of extra gold too.

Retro

Sacrifices must be made.

Oh so I have a thief. What is the most wanted class for dungeons? That's what I like to do in mmo's group play pve.

Play whatever class you like: the game was designed so all professions can fill all roles in some capacity. The group composition folks are mentioning is primarily for the speed run/high end crowd and both of those tend to be... a very specific kind if fun if you're into that. Just running dungeons though, ESPECIALLY with GAF, is a much more laid back affair (see below).

Damn :( playing an Engi.

Guess I will flamethrower things by my lonesome then.

Apart from being insanely fun, Engineers have some amazing group support options. Don't let anyone tell you to sacrifice your own enjoyment for the "Meta of the Month," that's just popular perception. Most of the time (and 99% of the time in GAF) it's not gonna matter. Avoid groups with descriptions like "speed run", "zerker only", etc. Make a group with a description like "new players only" or "casual" or "fun" and watch it fill fast.

If you get booted from a group because of your profession, the problem isn't you, it's them; they're assholes.

That does not sound fun.

This is why I refuse to PUG. All of that stuff fails more often than it succeeds unless you have a group that is familiar with the exact route, tactics and timing (i.e. everyone already knows each other).

All of the things you mentioned are the result of people finding the path of least resistance for getting loot as quickly as possible. It doesn't sound fun because it isn't fun, but enjoyment is not the objective for those individuals.

The problem is that everyone has adopted those tactics, either because they're afraid of getting kicked or because they've never seen it done legitimately and they don't know any better (and end up making angry posts on Reddit about how bad dungeons are).

I still do the stacking thing if I join a group and that's what people are doing, just because I don't want to rock the boat, but if I make a group or have a say in the matter, it's GAFsmash all day every day and those groups are always the most fun.

No one does dungeons or pvp in our guild. Everyone just replays LS missions all day.

Your posts should come with a disclaimer, people who don't know you will think you're serious.

More dungeons similar to what we have now would just be a waste. I'd rather see a whole new interpretation rather than just checking a box off a list.

I like the way you think. Fractals are a great example of a different approach to dungeons, and are incredibly fun. I'd love to see more things like that, the WoW-style "Hallways-connecting-loot-pinata-rooms" dungeons don't have much replay value, which is something ArenaNet is clearly big on.

Zeroth

Sacrifices must be made.

Oh so I have a thief. What is the most wanted class for dungeons? That's what I like to do in mmo's group play pve.

Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist (x2), and Thief is the dungeon party build.

I usually find myself wishing I could play Warrior and Thief at the same time.

I would like to expand that this party is "the best" in the context of clearing a dungeon as fast as possible, and that you will only ever see this composition being enforced if you were to enter a hardcore, record-breaking dungeon clearing guild. In the normal world where we all live, no one will care what class you pick because they all are capable of dishing damage, which is the main concern of the dungeon running meta.

And sincerely, you should run the class you know how to play, not the one that people want you to play. I would take without hesitation a ranger that knows his stuff over a thief that dies every encounter.

We don't exploit and Lupi is the only place you could call reflect abuse, but the rest of it is a pretty coordinated effort.

GAFSmash still has its place, especially in Fractals, and I always enjoy 2 or 3 manning dungeons or doing goofy stuff like all ranger or all mesmer runs, but the time trial aspect of skipping and stacking mobs has its own allure.

5 GAFfers in Mumble chatting it up while annihilating dozens of dungeon paths together is actually quite the bonding experience. PUG stacking and GAF stacking are two very different worlds.

5 GAFfers in Mumble chatting it up while annihilating dozens of dungeon paths together is actually quite the bonding experience.

I miss this, I hope we get back to it soon :< Arah isn't quite the same experience, Mumble is a whooole lot quieter/tenser when people are frustrated

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just did the level 60 story quest, the feels. It really helps make you care about your character more, it's a fantastic touch and really adds to the game. I've been playing so much since I bought it, 54 hours on this char alone since the 6th. I haven't no lifed a game this hard since WoW and I quit that about 6 years ago.

Forgal was so bad ass, I was legit sad when he died. I had to recruit the Norn just to have a big bastard by my side again

Really looking forward to 80 so I can get my gear and find a skin, I like the Pit Fighter one which you can apparently get for 90 WvW tokens which I somehow already have. Right now I look fucking awful lol.

i dont think any gaf dungeon run can top the 3 hour harpy fractal run at 6am, where kos patented his idea of lets run through the harpies and not kill them. i believe only 1 person at the end did not have broken armor

Levyne

Banned
Wait , we use mumble on our Dungeon runs ?
Why was i not told of this ?
And why do i keep missing these ?

I've been trying to do mumble more often. I forget whose idea it initially was but now non mumble dungeons seems weird. In fact, I get unreasonably upset when someone doesn't have a mic or want to talk, ha

(Not upset, but just "gosh, now I have to read party chat huh")

Quenk

I've been trying to do mumble more often. I forget whose idea it initially was but now non mumble dungeons seems weird. In fact, I get unreasonably upset when someone doesn't have a mic or want to talk, ha

(Not upset, but just "gosh, now I have to read party chat huh")

Mumble has been really useful when you guys teach me how to dungeon.

Virdix

My leveling slowed down as I have finals next week and my friends wanted to finally try a MOBA(HoTS). But I'm lvl 77, been trying everyday spam logging in for 10 minutes to get my friend who bought the game for 10$ into Tarnished Coast with me.

Anyway, I'm excited to hopefully do some PvE with the guild if you guys will take me under your wing and teach me the ropes :) Guardian if that matters.

Minamu

Do we have any veteran necros in here? I asked TechWolf in the chat about what armor to wear at 80 and thought I'd ask here as well. I don't have a lvl 80 character yet but will by next week for sure. I've been running EotM to gather enough badges to get an exotic set from there but I'm not sure what kind to get (as I impulse bought a berserker set for my ele which might not have been the most optimal choice, and I don't want to screw up again heh). I'm thinking of doing a condition build, but I've also had my eye on the Terrormancer stuff as well (all Fear based). The tip I got was go full out power (zerk?) or full condi dmg. What would be the smartest choice (and can I get it with badges anyhow?) I could also use some tips on sigils and runes for such a necro :)

Quenk

Do we have any veteran necros in here? I asked TechWolf in the chat about what armor to wear at 80 and thought I'd ask here as well. I don't have a lvl 80 character yet but will by next week for sure. I've been running EotM to gather enough badges to get an exotic set from there but I'm not sure what kind to get (as I impulse bought a berserker set for my ele which might not have been the most optimal choice, and I don't want to screw up again heh). I'm thinking of doing a condition build, but I've also had my eye on the Terrormancer stuff as well (all Fear based). The tip I got was go full out power (zerk?) or full condi dmg. What would be the smartest choice (and can I get it with badges anyhow?) I could also use some tips on sigils and runes for such a necro :)

I've never played necro but here is Brazil's necro guide (for dungeons and fractals)

You can also check out some other Necro builds on metabattle.com

Zeroth

Sincerely, I have both zerker and condi sets on my necro, but I would say condi is more useful because, in the context of dungeon running and etc, you will already have zerker classes for it. A condi necro can fill a great role in certain fights, and will probably shine more with HoT.

Thorgal

My leveling slowed down as I have finals next week and my friends wanted to finally try a MOBA(HoTS). But I'm lvl 77, been trying everyday spam logging in for 10 minutes to get my friend who bought the game for 10$ into Tarnished Coast with me.

Anyway, I'm excited to hopefully do some PvE with the guild if you guys will take me under your wing and teach me the ropes :) Guardian if that matters.

For the best chance to get transfered over , tell him to try during Of hours .

EX i managed to transfer to Blackgate between 10 - 11 AM here ( which would make it very early morning for NA players 4-5 AM )

Otherwise , Anet usually expands the cap of max amount of people allowed prior to a WVW Tournament so that may be another option .

I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS WHY DO THE BORDERLANDS ROTATE RANDOMLY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I mean, it's still not much compared to everything else you have to do for a legendary, but still.

Edit: I get that Anet wants people going for legendaries to experience all parts of the game, but you still have to play WvW to get the Gift of Battle anyway.

Thorgal

I wonder why Anet does not include Dungeons in their Daily list ?

Like daily COF path , daily HOTW path or CM path ?

They got fractals in there so why no Dungeons ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mumble has been really useful when you guys teach me how to dungeon.

teach me how to dungeon
teach me teach me how to dungeon

8)

got a friend's wedding tomorrow night so no Saturday night fever for me :(

I may be looking for some dungeoneering tonight around Seventh Urty EDT tonight if anyone is game. Thinking maybe a full AC clear including Story (if any new folk at least >level 30 want to tag along)

Minamu

I've never played necro but here is Brazil's necro guide (for dungeons and fractals)

You can also check out some other Necro builds on metabattle.com
Thank you, very helpful! Always so helpful :)

Sincerely, I have both zerker and condi sets on my necro, but I would say condi is more useful because, in the context of dungeon running and etc, you will already have zerker classes for it. A condi necro can fill a great role in certain fights, and will probably shine more with HoT.
That makes sense. I'll have to double check what my specific builds recommend. I assume WvW does have a set of this kind?

Awesome :D About damn time, even though I managed to complete two of the maps in one sitting today during breakfast.

I'm an old ass man today. 30!
Congratz, you have six months on me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom