• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroth

Thanks, since it was sent to my account name rather than a single character does that put all my characters into the guild or will it just be the character that I accept the invite on?

You will have the guild on your entire account, but you'll need to use the "Represent" option on each character, since it is not enabled by default.

Quenk

What do you mean by path? Still full n00b. I unlocked the second dungeon as well which I'll do later. Also, how much of a jump is it from story to explore? (think that's what it's called).

Every dungeon has a story path and then a few explorable paths. Arah has 4 explorable paths while the rest have 3 each.

Alright annoying new player idiot questions.

I am 15, I run around I do basic shit, I clear out requests and unlock vendors and skill points. I occasionally gather when I see things. What should I be focusing on outside of casually running around and saving the world?

Do I need to craft?
Do I need to focus on gear?
Do I need to even care or should I just run around and have fun?

Yes question three is stupid.

OH and a shout out to the poor bastard that answered my bag question yesterday. I really appreciate it. I am not vocal in guild chat so getting an answer rather quickly was great.

Thorgal

I am 15, I run around I do basic shit, I clear out requests and unlock vendors and skill points. I occasionally gather when I see things. What should I be focusing on outside of casually running around and saving the world?

Do I need to craft?

OH and a shout out to the poor bastard that answered my bag question yesterday. I really appreciate it. I am not vocal in guild chat so getting an answer rather quickly was great.

Crafting is best left until later since you are still new and likely not stored many Mats yet to make stuff that is worthwhile .

Gear you only really need to worry about once you hit 80 and go for the final set of armor and weapons you want that best complement your playstyle . until then , take anything you find in loot and use that .

Generally , just go with point 3 :p

Anyone at PAX asked about Guild Halls ? Feels like we still got no info yet.

Playing your first character up to endgame content is probably the best experience you'll have out of GW2 (until expansion), so honestly take your time with the story and exploration.

Once that's done and you still somewhat enjoy the game, then you should start asking about min-max'ing endgame stuff.

Levyne

Banned

Do I need to craft?

Stop worrying about asking questions / apologizing

Crafting is nice experience but it's not essential or probably even efficient to worry about it much now. You can if you want, can't hurt, but becomes more important when wanting to make ascended gear at 80 ( and a couple exotic sets, like celestial)

As you level, just grab green gear from the trading post every 5-10 levels, based on what you don't get from the level up rewards. If any particular piece of gear falls behind a bunch of levels you can cheaply replace it.

Keep gathering, at least to some extent. Never know when you will need extra mats, and gw2 does an /okay/ job keeping lower level materials useful. Some more than others. T1 mats still largely useless. I would also suggest salvaging unneeded gear drops instead of vendoring it.

Run around, do whatever, look good doing it. One you are 80, there are a handful of ways to get exotic gear and we'll let you know based on what you wanna do.

Taffer

Do I need to craft?

Question three contains the answer to questions one and two.
Crafting takes loads of materials and you'll out-level anything useful you make pretty fast, I'd recommend ignoring it at first.
Gear comes and goes on your way to 80, buy some basic gear off an NPC vendor to replace anything ~10 levels below your level but otherwise it's more useful to practice with your skills and traits as you level - getting the hang of your profession is what'll keep you alive/make other things dead. You can focus on gearing up at 80 (and crafting is useful here) when you'll be keeping the gear for longer than two or three days.

Callunah

Neo Member
It Charrlie the Charr Plush.:p

He a really nice plush, and been the only one really.

FSCN0727_zpsnd3av0ek.jpg

I got the same one as a Christmas gift from my bestest truest GW2 friend for Christmas. =) He gets the prize for knowing me better than anyone!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
man that was a sad bit about the content guide. Definitely recommend turning it off altogether if actually pointing out the things I love most about the game- but had to stumble onto on my own or be led to by someone else (sometimes even months after 100%ing a zone, which you can do without unlocking every area or completing jumping puzzles)- is going to register as "anti-fun." :-/ It's not difficult to 100% zones without the guide since all the map markers will still be there, and then there will be no frustration in feeling like you "have to get" the hard-to-find areas.

Retro

Guild Wars 2 Production Lead, Chris Whiteside leaves ANET.

I think I speak for all of GAF when I say that his contribution to the game will be missed, his absence noticed and his future bright.

It looks like the rumor-monger machine over at Reddit isn't finding much traction with this one, hopefully people are getting used to the idea that (gasp) people change jobs.

Short, not a lot of new info for us obsessively-scour-the-internet-for-news types, but some nice tidbits for your average joe. Anything is better than MMORPG's coverage.

man that was a sad bit about the content guide. Definitely recommend turning it off altogether if actually pointing out the things I love most about the game- but had to stumble onto on my own or be led to by someone else (sometimes even months after 100%ing a zone, which you can do without unlocking every area or completing jumping puzzles)- is going to register as "anti-fun." :-/ It's not difficult to 100% zones without the guide since all the map markers will still be there, and then there will be no frustration in feeling like you "have to get" the hard-to-find areas.

Yeah, the content compass is pointing people towards unexplored parts of the map (the parts that are still 'painted in') so they can see that there's more zone in that general direction. The problem is that it's pointing people towards places that are covered because they're kind of special secrets.

I wonder if the Hidden Garden in Mount Maelstrom is affected by this, that's one that genuinely feels amazing when you stumble upon it on your own.

Quenk

For me, the content compass pointing to "secret" areas that don't count towards map completion falls under the same category as the zone achievements. Even though I got map completion, I still have 176/177 for Ascalon Explorer. Because I'm so close to it, it always shows up under the nearly completed section of the achievement panel.

For me, the content compass pointing to "secret" areas that don't count towards map completion falls under the same category as the zone achievements. Even though I got map completion, I still have 176/177 for Ascalon Explorer. Because I'm so close to it, it always shows up under the nearly completed section of the achievement panel.

That has to be aggravating... So close yet so far away.

Spyware

It's not just for you tho, since that's what it's actually showing :p It shows where to go to get those achievements.

Ashodin

oh good they nerfed Nebo Terrace

• In the lower classes will pop up on their own guild new confirmation prompt.

imma take a stab at that

* In the chat window, new characters will be announced upon accepting a guild invite.

Sweet!

• Players on the next steep fall of repeated injury problems have been fixed.

hmm

* Players no longer take falling damage from running down steep inclines.

aww yiss

From "Keeper" (Guardian)

Flash Blade: This ability when a valid path can not be found among the target will no longer start.
is

Flashing Blade: This ability will not cast if there is not a valid path to the target.

• Trial interference: the skills valid path can not be found among the target will no longer start. With the skills to lift the unconscious effect unless it is under control.
is

* Judge's Intervention: This ability will not cast if there is not a valid path to the target. This ability also only breaks stun if there is a valid target.

Fucking hell yes to those changes, which means if we have no target, it won't be wasted. Get rekt Thieves

Other stuff, Stand Your Ground! is a five stack of stability

Looks like they're buffing the Tomes again!

Courage holy book: applying the skills to be an ally once every 3 seconds for 3 seconds of protection. Lifting deformation will not remove existing protection and solid results.
• Anger holy book: This ability will ally applied every 3 seconds for 3 seconds once the rebound. Lifting deformation will not remove the original rally and solid results.
• Elite Focus: This feature will allow players to use the courage of the holy book holy book and get angry when a layer of solid every 3 seconds.

Translates to:

Tome of Courage: During this skill, apply 3 seconds of protection to you and all nearby allies every 3 seconds. Ending the transformation will not remove protection or stability.
Tome of Wrath: During this skill, apply 3 seconds of retaliation to you and all nearby allies every 3 seconds. Ending the transformation will not remove retaliation or stability.
Elite Focus: This trait will now also grant fury when applying stability every 3 seconds while using Tomes.

It also seems like they're adding some sort of "coupon" that drops from Black Lion Chests that allows you to straight up use gems to purchase the BLTC skins instead of tickets.

Hmmm new weapons?

Wallach

Players on the next steep fall of repeated injury problems have been fixed.

hmm

I know exactly what this is, because it happens all the time on my Norn. Sometimes when you run down certain sloped pieces of environment, you take falling damage in a bunch of very fast small units unless you stop moving. It varies slightly in severity but there are a couple particular spots I can show you where it is not even steep whatsoever (one of them is actually built as a walking path) but will kill you in under ~1.5 seconds if you walk downhill.

leng jai

I know exactly what this is, because it happens all the time on my Norn. Sometimes when you run down certain sloped pieces of environment, you take falling damage in a bunch of very fast small units unless you stop moving. It varies slightly in severity but there are a couple particular spots I can show you where it is not even steep whatsoever (one of them is actually built as a walking path) but will kill you in under ~1.5 seconds if you walk downhill.

This happened to me on my Norn twice today. Worst game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ranger is the fastest/easiest class to do the COF1 gate from my experience.

RIght, but it's not common knowledge. The fact that a pug Warrior-only group ran to all the braziers immediately is kind of amusing. Either they collectively had faith in my ability or they all lacked faith in their own.

leng jai

RIght, but it's not common knowledge. The fact that a pug Warrior-only group ran to all the braziers immediately is kind of amusing. Either they collectively had faith in my ability or they all lacked faith in their own.

I would have jizzed over the fact that my entire pug group knew what a brazier was. Warriors are actually not that good at it since the HB and might nerf. They probably also noticed your guild tag and thought you weren't pro enough to stay inside your own bubble.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I would have jizzed over the fact that my entire pug group knew what a brazier was. Warriors are actually not that good at it since the HB and might nerf. They probably also noticed your guild tag and thought you weren't pro enough to stay inside your own bubble.

Dunno about you but I'm proud of that reputation. It instantly turns me into Columbo.

Retro

I would have jizzed over the fact that my entire pug group knew what a brazier was.
Wait, people still don't know what the braziers and gate are for?

There are lots of people who are too intimidated by dungeons or are afraid of being mocked for not knowing how to do something before they've ever done it. They're probably afraid to ask for help for fear of being called a newb and kicked from the group, so they just stay quiet and hope no one notices they're winging it.

Heck, I bet there are even folks in GAFguild who are like that, lurking in the OT and avoiding dungeons for just those very reasons. Which is a shame because dungeons can be very fun and rewarding if you're not stressed out over being the subject of unwarranted ridicule.

Morokh

There are lots of people who are too intimidated by dungeons or are afraid of being mocked for not knowing how to do something before they've ever done it. They're probably afraid to ask for help for fear of being called a newb and kicked from the group, so they just stay quiet and hope no one notices they're winging it.

I bet there are even folks in GAFguild who are like that, lurking in the OT and avoiding dungeons for just those very reasons. Which is a shame because dungeons can be very fun and rewarding if you're not stressed out over being the subject of unwarranted ridicule.

Then there is also the fact that with the way people rush through dungeons and stack you just can't figure-out the mechanics properly, and following by winging it is just enough.

I did a TA recently with pugs who didn't skip everything and didn't stack properly for every boss, and I learned a lot.

Wait, people still don't know what the braziers and gate are for?
I've seen this occur more often since the expansion annoucement. I would hazard a guess that maybe 25% of CoF1 runs over the past 2 months or so had a party member who did not know the brazier section. Even though cheevo points are not supposed to be reliable I still use them as a marker to ask, since no one ever brings up the topic that they're unexperienced with the typical speedrun. Thankfully most PUGs will speak up when I directly ask them if they're familiar with the path. And just as thankfully the vast majority of the time (>95%), the other members of the party don't raise a ruckus and merely say, "Stay at your own pillar at the next part." What's actually impressive is the newer PUGs these days seem to understand this at the first try; I remember going through countless resets in 2013 and 2014. So far only 1 reset in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom