• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there is also the fact that with the way people rush through dungeons and stack you just can't figure-out the mechanics properly, and following by winging it is just enough.

I did a TA recently with pugs who didn't skip everything and didn't stack properly for every boss, and I learned a lot.

I still like not stacking and killing everything sometimes. I like to experience the dungeon. Unless it's COF1, that one I speed run for gold.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
There are lots of people who are too intimidated by dungeons or are afraid of being mocked for not knowing how to do something before they've ever done it. They're probably afraid to ask for help for fear of being called a newb and kicked from the group, so they just stay quiet and hope no one notices they're winging it.

Heck, I bet there are even folks in GAFguild who are like that, lurking in the OT and avoiding dungeons for just those very reasons. Which is a shame because dungeons can be very fun and rewarding if you're not stressed out over being the subject of unwarranted ridicule.

I imagine that's almost everyone who has never done it before. Or on the attempts they have tried via LFG were rushed through and didn't learn much. My gf was scared to do any dungeon for the first time without me out of fear of being ridiculed, etc. Which I thought was funny because after a long break from the game I didn't remember anything but AC, CoF and SE. Heck, I still don't know where the graveling scepter pieces are in that one AC room because someone else always solos it. She later got over that fear and probably knows TA better than I do.

But like in the 4 warrior group I was in last night, I noticed everyone else had achievement points of 1.5k or less. Regardless of what personal philosophies are, it is a good measure to see how long someone has been playing and I'm sure it works the opposite way and that's why they silently volunteered me for the gate. Almost every PUG I've been in recently has had players who I imagine joined the last time the game was on sale. I say this because these PUGs sport people who either don't know what they're doing or insist we stack for almost every fight, even when it doesn't make sense.

What I'm ultimately trying to say here is - everyone who hasn't done a dungeon before should share that info so the rest of the group can help or should do a dungeon with Hawkian.

I still like not stacking and killing everything sometimes. I like to experience the dungeon. Unless it's COF1, that one I speed run for gold.

I prefer disorganized / gaf groups. Stacking makes it seem like a job where as a shit show run is far more fun. But CoF1 is business time.

Levyne

Banned
I judge people solely by how fast they can kill the gate.

That's not really true btw. I like doing it since once I got it to melt impossibly fast and haven't been able to quite match (...but still pretty fast)

I prefer disorganized / gaf groups. Stacking makes it seem like a job where as a shit show run is far more fun. But CoF1 is business time.
At this point in the game's life I feel like PUG runs have matured to the point that I can reliably find good speedruns of AC1/2/3 (oftentimes the same party for all 3 paths), CoF1, SE1, TA up and literally be finished with all 6 dungeons within 90 minutes, including the time in between dungeons.

It's an interesting change compared to early on in the game's life when we would joke on gchat about how unreliable PUG groups are in dungeons. Understandably back then we had a higher proportion of hardcore dungeon runners whose representation in the guild has slowly withered since it's rational to do different things.

Unfortunately this comes at the expense of new [GAF] members who want to try dungeons with a full [GAF] party since it's much more difficult nowadays to achieve that. It pretty much requires pre-planning on a forum to get such a group. I can't remember the last time another GW2 vet and I took 2 or 3 newer members through a run. The last time I went through a crazy/chaotic [GAF] run was that AC bearbow run months ago, a party full of dungeon vets.

There are lots of people who are too intimidated by dungeons or are afraid of being mocked for not knowing how to do something before they've ever done it. They're probably afraid to ask for help for fear of being called a newb and kicked from the group, so they just stay quiet and hope no one notices they're winging it.

Heck, I bet there are even folks in GAFguild who are like that, lurking in the OT and avoiding dungeons for just those very reasons. Which is a shame because dungeons can be very fun and rewarding if you're not stressed out over being the subject of unwarranted ridicule.

i didn't know what they did till I did the other part in that room. it's hard to know when you only see that room and not the room that 1 guy went into

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tbqh even with people not knowing the braziers it usually takes a minute for them to get their stuff together

spiritfox

I judge people solely by how fast they can kill the gate.

That's not really true btw. I like doing it since once I got it to melt impossibly fast and haven't been able to quite match (...but still pretty fast)

What's the secret to killing it fast anyway?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
now I want to time how fast I can kill the gate controller
Kill everything means you have to do the ooze royalty too. Doesn't count if you skip them.
The Ooze Royalty are actually the only thing that really matter in CoF, everything else is just bonus content

Levyne

Banned
I can't imagine Longbow 5 is that useful, but I haven't really tried that.

I jungle stalker roar, swap to drake, Rampage (this is for pet might since fury is no good), basically stack up QZ, Wild Signet, and Sic Em, so basically after getting 10 might from the longbow 2 the pet is a fucking beast. Target the thingy, longbow 2, drake f2 (I'm not sure if there is a best drake to use here, normally I use Ice) then they should immediately follow up with the tail swipe. More reliable than hoping a cat will do maul, plus a more useful f2 for damage. Swap to sword/axe, axe 4, sword 1111.

Swap spotter for eagle eye. I guess dropping skirmishing and nature magic traits for dumping into WS for peak strength or something would be to truly min-max it, but too lazy to worry about that generally to shave a fraction of a second.

Edit: I had forgotten that Sic Em cancels if you use f2. That's really annoying. I guess you'd have to time it late.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm trying out PvP, and you can set up your PvP gear etc and I'm wondering why I need to carry around a mace to use one in PvP if the stats are normalised anyway? Wouldn't it be a great QoL change if you could just select the weapon type you wish to use in that slot?

Zeroth

So I'm trying out PvP, and you can set up your PvP gear etc and I'm wondering why I need to carry around a mace to use one in PvP if the stats are normalised anyway? Wouldn't it be a great QoL change if you could just select the weapon type you wish to use in that slot?

Well, you can buy any weapon type with vendors on the Heart of the Mists for like 5s. The system exists the way it does in order to allow people to use custom skins on their stuff.

Minamu

Why you gotta be spreading my business on the streets?

Long bow 5, longbow 2, axe 4

This calls for a GAF cof1 run, kill everything including bridge run!~~~~~

Kill everything means you have to do the ooze royalty too. Doesn't count if you skip them.

now I want to time how fast I can kill the gate controller

The Ooze Royalty are actually the only thing that really matter in CoF, everything else is just bonus content

All this sounds like a great plan for tomorrow :D Need more dungeons and guild stuff to do ^^

Sidenote: Wasn't there talk of Anet releasing some kind of API for something a while back? Could that mean a TP app on an IPhone down the road by any chance?

Thorgal

In regards to the destroy Gate discussion :

Just did a Pug speed run of that which only lasted 8 minutes .

Gate health bar went down in just 4 secs .

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm level 60 and I got a level 80 Berserkers exotic axe from PvP, is that normal or did I get lucky? That'll save me some gold at 80.

Zeroth

I'm level 60 and I got a level 80 Berserkers exotic axe from PvP, is that normal or did I get lucky? That'll save me some gold at 80.

Depends. Is it from a champion bag? PvP reward tracks give exotic weapons after a certain % is hit on the reward track.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Depends. Is it from a champion bag? PvP reward tracks give exotic weapons after a certain % is hit on the reward track.

It was from a bag or box from the track, yeah. It took like an hour only so I was really shocked.

Zeroth

It was from a bag or box from the track, yeah. It took like an hour only so I was really shocked.

PvP is really good to get exotic weapons from dungeon tracks. Pretty fast to do plus plenty of fun too!

Also st3ev3, were you added to the guild?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
PvP is really good to get exotic weapons from dungeon tracks. Pretty fast to do plus plenty of fun too!

Also st3ev3, were you added to the guild?

Nah, I'm on EU with some friends. And if that's the case I'll be doing some more PvP for weapons before 80 for sure.

Virdix

Guys. Guys. Colin signed my shirt.

GAF 4 life =)

I taught Arken and Levyne how to drink tequila. Miktar is a champ and already knew how. Yeee good times. More interesting pictures later

How does that GW2 shirt fit? Im bidding on a large and a medium on ebay at the moment, not sure which to go for

How does that GW2 shirt fit? Im bidding on a large and a medium on ebay at the moment, not sure which to go for

It's a pretty standard shirt afaik. I am a tiny person and wear XS but the smallest they had was S =( It's gonna end up being a pyjama shirt for me but if you're a normal-sized person it'll probably be fine in whatever size you normally wear.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
at this rate I'll end up with only ARAH and HotW needing to complete

I really wish that you can earn points in PvP even if you don't win

Zeroth

Tonight, a friend of mine mentioned that her fractal buddy, after wiping at grawl for the tenth time, claimed their problem was DPS. She then said that next time I have 4 gaffers together we should invite him to show how a group cooperates. I think that conveys why GAFractal runs are so interesting and yet never a slouch: we are a group that understands each other, and thanks to that we can do many impressive feats. To hear that from someone who has run with us 3-4 times was flattering.

So thank you to all gaffers who make our nightly scale 50 runs so cool. We wouldn't have such a good time if it wasn't for each of you, each with your own playstyle but that when combined, prove to be an incredible and talented team.

Virdix

It's a pretty standard shirt afaik. I am a tiny person and wear XS but the smallest they had was S =( It's gonna end up being a pyjama shirt for me but if you're a normal-sized person it'll probably be fine in whatever size you normally wear.

Damn, I'm in a bidding war on the medium. Was hoping they were small like the Witcher shirts. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Holy shit while i was in a playtest the price jumped to 46$ plus shipping, I mean I want a GW2 shirt but not for 50$

Damn, I'm in a bidding war on the medium. Was hoping they were small like the Witcher shirts. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Holy shit while i was in a playtest the price jumped to 46$ plus shipping, I mean I want a GW2 shirt but not for 50$

Sacrifices must be made.

Oh so I have a thief. What is the most wanted class for dungeons? That's what I like to do in mmo's group play pve.

Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist (x2), and Thief is the dungeon party build.

I usually find myself wishing I could play Warrior and Thief at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom