• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I was saying I hope there was more info they could share during this event for people like me who follow all the news as it comes out. Since I watced poi and ready up, these events had nothing for me to be excited about besides pics of Colin.

Isn't it bad on ANET and thier marketi that 2.5 years in and people still haven't heard of Guild Wars 2...

Fair enough. But PAX East is more about hands-on, not reveals.

As for Anet's marketing. I don't always agree with the style of it, but I think it's working pretty well. The game is doing well, Anet is doing well. We're getting a major expansion, without them going back on their word of no raised level cap and no new armour tiers. So they're pretty confident in their fanbase.

I think GW2's growth has been slow, but steady. PAX East will likely be a shot in the arm too - a lot of word of mouth happened there.

You will always get people, even hardcore gamers or people who game a lot, who haven't heard of *everything*, either because their friends don't play, or they don't read much news, or just weren't interested the first time they came across info of the game.

But from what I can tell where does this game fall exactly in the MMO scape?

Not as popular as the big ones (Lineage, WoW), but doing better than others (ESO / WildStar), if layoffs and payment structure remodeling post-launch is any indication. GW2 is a bit weird with it's structure (low input high output), and gameplay style (golden axe / pso online-ish), so people don't always "get" the game the first time they see it either.

Zoinks.

I'm spending all the time building cities in Cities: Skylines.

I think I might end up not playing GW2 until next week, probably.

(Miktar? You play GW2?)

Two weeks?

I haven't even bought GW2 when you left.

Hehe.

The same server as GAF?

Oh! Right! ^..^ I've not been in the IRC channel in a long time.

I'm on Fort Aspenwood myself, but I run Saturday guild missions with GAF. Most of the time I tag up my own guild and run solo.

Oh! Right! ^..^ I've not been in the IRC channel in a long time.

I'm on Fort Aspenwood myself, but I run Saturday guild missions with GAF. Most of the time I tag up my own guild and run solo.

I think I'll continue messing around in GW2 next week. I'm only at level 6 myself or so - in fact, I've managed to play only one night before I got sucked into other games. (I'm blaming Pokémon Shuffle, SimCity 2013, and Cities: Skylines.)

(You should also go post on the other community thread that I normally see you in. Or get on the IRC sometime soon. I kinda miss you.)

Fair enough. But PAX East is more about hands-on, not reveals.

As for Anet's marketing. I don't always agree with the style of it, but I think it's working pretty well. The game is doing well, Anet is doing well. We're getting a major expansion, without them going back on their word of no raised level cap and no new armour tiers. So they're pretty confident in their fanbase.

I think GW2's growth has been slow, but steady. PAX East will likely be a shot in the arm too - a lot of word of mouth happened there.

You will always get people, even hardcore gamers or people who game a lot, who haven't heard of *everything*, either because their friends don't play, or they don't read much news, or just weren't interested the first time they came across info of the game.

Not as popular as the big ones (Lineage, WoW), but doing better than others (ESO / WildStar), if layoffs and payment structure remodeling post-launch is any indication. GW2 is a bit weird with it's structure (low input high output), and gameplay style (golden axe / pso online-ish), so people don't always "get" the game the first time they see it either.

I appreciate the response. This is such a strange game for me. I am level 25 and have yet to go to a dungeon, I understand PVP is a huge deal in this game but I am so involved with the world and exploring that I really just want to see a dungeon. The big complaints I have heard about this game stem from a supposed lack of end game content. But honestly the people I run into that are proponents of this game have been playing since launch so it cannot be that bad.

I appreciate the response. This is such a strange game for me. I am level 25 and have yet to go to a dungeon, I understand PVP is a huge deal in this game but I am so involved with the world and exploring that I really just want to see a dungeon. The big complaints I have heard about this game stem from a supposed lack of end game content. But honestly the people I run into that are proponents of this game have been playing since launch so it cannot be that bad.

PVP is a big deal for some, but it's by far not the lion's share of content the game has. I love playing PvP as a break (or in-between content update breaks).

Dungeons are *great*, you should totally run Ascalonian Catacombs when you hit level 30 I think (you'll get a mail about it in the game, unless they changed it). The dungeons are a side-story, dealing with the history of Destiny's Edge and their follies and foibles (and the result of it all). So I really recommend doing the dungeons as they come along (they're like 10 levels apart, I think? Or 5..), before finishing the Personal Story, since the final Dungeon, is also the final Story Mission, before Season 2 of Living World content.

There is so much end-game content, a lot of people miss it. Not seeing the forest, just the trees, if you catch my drift. :p

Run dungeons with GAF members - it's nice, casual, you learn things, nobody is shouting at you, and everyone is there because they want to have fun. But run them when you feel like it - there is no rush to the game. I've been playing since pre-launch and beta, and I'm still not bored of the game. But I do pace myself.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm pretty sure we failed a challenge last week or the week before. If we get Save our Supplies, it's pretty much a wash unless another guild is there / shows up.

All I took from this was that there's a higher success rate when I'm present.

👀

PVP is a big deal for some, but it's by far not the lion's share of content the game has. I love playing PvP as a break (or in-between content update breaks).

Dungeons are *great*, you should totally run Ascalonian Catacombs when you hit level 30 I think (you'll get a mail about it in the game, unless they changed it). The dungeons are a side-story, dealing with the history of Destiny's Edge and their follies and foibles (and the result of it all). So I really recommend doing the dungeons as they come along (they're like 10 levels apart, I think? Or 5..), before finishing the Personal Story, since the final Dungeon, is also the final Story Mission, before Season 2 of Living World content.

There is so much end-game content, a lot of people miss it. Not seeing the forest, just the trees, if you catch my drift. :p

Run dungeons with GAF members - it's nice, casual, you learn things, nobody is shouting at you, and everyone is there because they want to have fun.

I will say this as far as playing goes. This game is honestly the first MMO type game in which I am casually just going around exploring everything. Arena did an amazing job at world design and I really appreciate the effort they put in on building this world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Glad missions went well :) My buddy's wedding was a lovely event. Saw a passel of friends I hadn't encountered in person in almost or even over 10 years.

Was hoping I could make makeups but my parents need my help doing car-rotation-ride-swapping stuff in like 10 minutes :(

Does this game go on sale often? Been looking for a new MMO to try for a while now and this looks pretty interesting. Last ones I played was WoW during Cata and FFXIV near launch.

Anno

Does this game go on sale often? Been looking for a new MMO to try for a while now and this looks pretty interesting. Last ones I played was WoW during Cata and FFXIV near launch.

You just missed it, unfortunately. Recently though it has gone on sale pretty often in anticipation of the upcoming expansion, I'm sure there will some more in the future.

Of course, if you can afford full retail then pretty much anyone here will still say it's an insane value and very enjoyable game.

Levyne

Banned

It's been down to 10 dollars a couple times the last handful of months, but that sale is over :(

Hard to say when it will go on sale again.

Game is packed full of amazing shit. Its a steal at normal price. If you want it on sale I would imagine right before the expansion comes out another sale will happen.

Retro

The best way to explain Guild Wars 2's endgame is that it's just game, and being max level doesn't change anything other than making all of the content available to you. You can do WvW, PVP, PVE, hunt for achievements, expand your wardrobe ("Fashion Wars 2"), work on long term goals like Ascended Gear or Legendary weapons (which will get much easier in HoT), whatever.

And if you decide none of that is very interesting, you can wait a couple weeks and chances are good they'll add something new, or you can just stop playing. Since they won't raise the level cap or add new tiers of gear, you can play a different game, take up knitting, marathon a TV show, start a bluegrass band, invent a better mouse trap, write Harry Potter erotic fan fiction, stalk your ex, collect spores, molds and fungus, travel to Uruguay, become a professional killer, go to the zoo, referee toddler MMA matches, take up candlemaking, ponder the mysteries of life, eat a whole box of oreos in one sitting, try tapas, become a licensed court stenographer or make nonsensical lists on the internet.

Yep gw2 is more of a game than a way of life when you compare it to other mmorpg.

You play because you want to, not because you have to or are forced to. It is a game after a certain point you can put as many or as little time as you want and you won't be behind (whatever that means to you individually).

Game is packed full of amazing shit. Its a steal at normal price. If you want it on sale I would imagine right before the expansion comes out another sale will happen.

It's been down to 10 dollars a couple times the last handful of months, but that sale is over :(

Hard to say when it will go on sale again.

You just missed it, unfortunately. Recently though it has gone on sale pretty often in anticipation of the upcoming expansion, I'm sure there will some more in the future.

Of course, if you can afford full retail then pretty much anyone here will still say it's an insane value and very enjoyable game.

Damn, I'll try to keep an eye out then. Thanks guys!

Shiokazu

tora%20facepalm.jpg

hard time teaching my friend how to guild wars 2.

he is expecting the game to steer him. i dont think he is going to last.

and in spite of all, i offered him to join our guild, yet he refuses.

taught him what are hearts, what are dynamic events. taught him to explore more and help people more ( npcs included. ) but it looks like he is a onrails person.

how you teach a onrail player to play guild wars?

PS: i need help
PSS: and in spite of all, i offered him to join our guild, yet he refuses.

Anno

Eh at some point games just aren't for everyone. If that isn't something that sounds interesting to him, it probably won't work. That said, maybe take a break for another day and try again after things have settled out.

Mxrz

I dislike when guilds/servers try to "Sponsor" the normal Teq spawns. Its 2015, Teq is damn near automatic for pugs at this point.

I dislike when guilds/servers try to "Sponsor" the normal Teq spawns. Its 2015, Teq is damn near automatic for pugs at this point.

slP5MQE.jpg

I have to agree that it's kinda pointless now that "SBI teq" lines up with natural spawn teq. But... I like the group of people we do it with, and pugs don't seem to know about north small spawns at all for some reason :p

Shiokazu

we need a better wurm breakdown tho... we're still not being able to 100% sure wurm on every attempt. its only once or twice a day.

Zeroth

I'm fine with server sponsors since it helps creating a sense of community that many servers lack since we got megaservers on PvE. It's less about organizing because we could fail otherwise and more of a way to bring together people who normally wouldn't play together.

Guild organization is a different matter, and reminds me of an "organized" teq kill by MYTH (not the SBI guild) I did about 5 months ago. It was a natural spawn, yet they insisted on sending everyone who wasn't in their guild to the zerg because they apparently had everything organized over TeamSpeak. Amusing enough, they failed to kill Teq.

we need a better wurm breakdown tho... we're still not being able to 100% sure wurm on every attempt. its only once or twice a day.

Wurm is on a different organization level from Teq. Far too many small details that make it impossible to organize using only in-game tools even if everyone there is somehow a pro.

Thorgal

There's less people, so it can be slightly more challenging (depending on what missions we draw, we can fail stuff easily). However, it also means that everyone really has to work together, whereas Saturday nights can be a little... zergy (you know who you are, standing at the door for the Langmar Gallery waiting!).

I have an excuse
I was valiantly defending the gate while drunk :)

Retro

I thought they got a bit fishy towards the end.

Oh Cod yes, the nautical punnery was reely good in Fields of Ruin, and I wasn't even responsible for starting it.

I'm not too used to not-as-noisy guild people :p

Yeah, most of our Sunday players aren't on mumble, and when they are they tend to be quiet. I tend to use guild chat more, so I know everyone can see it, which makes things even more quiet.

... Plus no drunk people. =)

Complistic

Three new faces for each race are available exclusively in Total Makeover Kits, found in the Services category of the Gem Store for 350 gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom