• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
why are people angry with April 1

gw070x0ut3.jpg

I DEFY PHYSICS

gw071beuqn.jpg

Retro

Yeah... I'm starting to think SAB was the worst thing ArenaNet has added to the game. Not because it isn't fun (it very much is) or ridiculously cool (it has enough legs to stand on its own, even), but because every damn year and any time there's a lull in content, a certain part of the community goes absolutely batshit crazy and starts screaming "OCCUPY SAB!" non-stop. Instead of April Fools being a fun, silly, one-day thing, it's now basically "Fuck <fun gag>, where is my SAB?!"

I've made it a point not to drag Reddit / Official Forum drama into the OT, but this is also in /map and /say at every damn world event and every damn zone. Just tired of hearing about how outraged people are instead of laughing at something fun and silly.

leng jai

It was pretty shitty for them to bring back the super popular SAB minis, put them in the BL chests and make then non-tradeable.

Adriaaa and I solved the CoF1 bug and were charging for runs. Except I was never sent my cut of 1 copper. Just an fyi, scoundrel in the guild.

It's super adorable that posting CoF 1 right now gets you players with less than 1k AP. Because all experienced players are jaded and on reddit.

Check you inbox for your 1 copper.

Reese-015

...what's SAB?
edit: oh it is Super Adventure Box as I thought? So there's an outcry from people wanting it back? That would be cool but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god the forum complaints...

Seriously, apparently the airplane pose is mimicking the crucifix pose? what the fuck...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
nyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeor

are there unique "dive" sounds replacing the falling screams or was I imagining that?

Yeah... I'm starting to think SAB was the worst thing ArenaNet has added to the game. Not because it isn't fun (it very much is) or ridiculously cool (it has enough legs to stand on its own, even), but because every damn year and any time there's a lull in content, a certain part of the community goes absolutely batshit crazy and starts screaming "OCCUPY SAB!" non-stop. Instead of April Fools being a fun, silly, one-day thing, it's now basically "Fuck <fun gag>, where is my SAB?!"

I've made it a point not to drag Reddit / Official Forum drama into the OT, but this is also in /map and /say at every damn world event and every damn zone. Just tired of hearing about how outraged people are instead of laughing at something fun and silly.

The shittiest thing I see from these people is them complaining about not having SAB because that is the only good thing about GW2.

I hope ANET never does anything for people who only like 1 mini-game in this whole awesome game.

Lunar15

SAB ended up being the biggest "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I think part of the problem was the fact that they tried to bring it back separate from April Fools Day. To me, they basically killed their own joke. However, this made people assume it was a constant thing that would always return.

nataku

Eh, I understand people getting mad this time. They added those SAB minis to the BLC, ANet had to know that it would cause a shitstorm with people who want SAB back. Especially since they did it a day before april fools day, when SAB was originally released.

Morokh

An official statement about it not coming back specifically for april 1st would have done wonders, even if some people would still have lost their shit about it.

Sooo the airplane thing, yeah, that's fun on paper, but it's friggin annoying for playing :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
but the animation glitches are hilarious!
For some reason my guardian was completely naked when I logged in (I assume this had something to do with drunk AC night). The standard sword attack chain naked with airplane arms is pretty unstoppable

Quenk

For some reason my guardian was completely naked when I logged in (I assume this had something to do with drunk AC night). The standard sword attack chain naked with airplane arms is pretty unstoppable

Yeah... all your armor was broken by the end of AC p3

Mxrz

I wonder if those morons realize how they're acting right now (with the April fools bitching) is what killed SAB. Ah well. Miserable people gonna miserable.

Power Cores are expensive these days. Glad you don't need them for the basic ascended version of the spinal blade back. Things like that seem like they would make good map mastery rewards.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was awful, an April Fools joke shouldn't make the game less fun to play. I'm glad it'll be gone in the morning.

Got my Elementalist to 80 and not super in love with her, she's so squishy compared to my Warrior, it's so easy to get downed. I'll see how she feels when she's not wearing Masterwork gear.

Spyware

Weren't other April fool things for the whole week?

I barely got to try this.
Nah, the bobblehead was one day only too but got brought back with the table thing.

It's sad that people get so angry about these fun little things that ANet does for a single day per year. But I guess it's also proof of how much people like the game? Since they get so mad from losing one day if they "can't stand it".

Retro

Update Notes:
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a server crash.
  • Fixed a client crash.
  • Resolved missing textures on the plant wurm model&#8217;s attack animation.
  • Fixed a bug in which the timing on a variety of skills&#8217; animations was incorrectly changed.

Well that was awful, an April Fools joke shouldn't make the game less fun to play.

I had a ton of fun zooming around making airplane noises. I even jumped on some alts I haven't played in a while just to hear what silly noises they'd make. I wouldn't want it to stay forever, but when the data-mined "Aviator Chest" thing comes out we're definitely having Airplane Guild Missions.

Nah, the bobblehead was one day only too but got brought back with the table thing.

It's sad that people get so angry about these fun little things that ANet does for a single day per year. But I guess it's also proof of how much people like the game? Since they get so mad from losing one day if they "can't stand it".

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think the people who got bent out of shape about it aren't mad because they like the game so much, they just like change very little. It's obviously meant to be silly and fun, and it was obvious from the start that it would only last a day. The folks who "can't stand it" are much more likely to be joyless in their approach to the game than joyful. The folks who decried it just want the status quo, and it should be fairly obvious by now that that's just not how ArenaNet works, be it their approach to profession design, content delivery or silly little April Fools pranks.

Spyware

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think the people who got bent out of shape about it aren't mad because they like the game so much, they just like change very little. It's obviously meant to be silly and fun, and it was obvious from the start that it would only last a day. The folks who "can't stand it" are much more likely to be joyless in their approach to the game than joyful. The folks who decried it just want the status quo, and it should be fairly obvious by now that that's just not how ArenaNet works, be it their approach to profession design, content delivery or silly little April Fools pranks.
You're probably right, I just don't like to think that way ;P

I've always loved the stuff ANet does for April Fools. Especially that Commando thing for both games they did 2011 (fake prof announcement for GW2 and missions in GW1 that repeats every year now).

Bobbleheads <3

BraXzy

Eh, I piss in everyone's Cheerios, so the reality is probably somewhere between our two views; people who like the game but want it treated seriously, or some such.

God damn it. I've been wondering what that taste was for months!

Morokh

You're probably right, I just don't like to think that way ;P

I've always loved the stuff ANet does for April Fools. Especially that Commando thing for both games they did 2011 (fake prof announcement for GW2 and missions in GW1 that repeats every year now).

Bobbleheads <3

Well this year's april's fools joke was way more intrusive than Bobbleheads, and it seems (reading about it) more than anything they've done in the past.

The issue with this one is that if you didn't care much for it, it also got in the way of you playing the game cause the animations were all messed-up and that isn't necessarily fun or practical for everyone.

Going in the way of gameplay with things like these is really where I would draw a line, even if it is just for a day.

Spyware

Well this year's april's fools joke was way more intrusive than Bobbleheads, and it seems (reading about it) more than anything they've done in the past.

The issue with this one is that if you didn't care much for it, it also got in the way of you playing the game cause the animations were all messed-up and that isn't necessarily fun or practical for everyone.

Going in the way of gameplay with things like these is really where I would draw a line, even if it is just for a day.
I'd say bobblehead was about as "intrusive" as this one with voice volume low and post-processing off, since that one made EVERYTHING in the whole game have big heads and that made some animations messed up too. Any mob, any NPC and so on. I see no difference between them. As long as it doesn't brake the actual effects of skills and stuff, I don't care about some silly animation "problems" for a day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think it's a coincidence that Hawkian and Hero both start with the same letter.
It's not, they come from the same etymological root
The people who lost their shit over it made the april fools prank so much better.
I'm not a vindictive person by trade, but this is half the fun. I had a bowl of popcorn reading the thread of complaints on the official forums on the first April Fool's release of SAB, when there were digital creature spawns out in the open world and everyone's immersions were brokens

spiritfox

It's not, they come from the same etymological root

I'm not a vindictive person by trade, but this is half the fun. I had a bowl of popcorn reading the thread of complaints on the official forums on the first April Fool's release of SAB, when there were digital creature spawns out in the open world and everyone's immersions were brokens

So we should call you Heroian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom