• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Hey, thanks everybody for the birthday wishes. Went to be beach, had the Best Fish and Chips In the World (seriously, there's this little place right on the boardwalk run by a British expatriate, she's amazing), did some light shopping, got milkshakes and came home. Pretty nice day, parking issues aside.

I'm officially 27 years old.

What am I doing wasting my life in GW2

Eh, everyone needs a release or a hobby, and there's no reason a videogame can't be just as good as, I dunno, writing haikus or collecting stamps or whatever people do for fun. As long as GW2 isn't all you're doing with your life, you're okay. Happy Birthday.

Happy birthday Retro

are you 40 yet?

33, smart ass
1sm067roll8turv.gif

Levyne

Banned
No one cares but thread is slow anyway.

Redid my Necro look slightly to make him less gross while trying to keep the same general theme.

Old to new

Loving the lines down the arm. Just basic gloves, right?

Yeah just stately. Didn't like any bulky gloves on him. Kept the seer top which is the lines and now you can see em better

I really like it!

Very beautiful :)

Mwahaha, fishing for compliments works again, thanks for the comments, guys :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still at my seder for the moment, I may not make it back in time for mission start, so don't wait to get started. I will be around to do the lotto for sure at least!

Retro

Thanks for coming out to missions, folks, and congratulations to all of our lotto winners.

Makeups will be tomorrow at 3pm Easter(n =p). We might have a really low turnout due to the holiday, so we may end up doing just bounty and rush, but we'll at least try!

Hey guys, I'm going to buy/build a new pc somewhere down the line, and was wondering if someone knew how a GTX970 with an i5-4690k would handle the game? I'd hope to reach 60 fps with a build like that, but you never know, always better to ask!
I mean, it's going to be way better than my GT740 on my laptop, that's for sure.

I have never done the AC P3 to P2 glitch, so i join a party for P2 and realize it's a F N glitch run, so i didn't know on a glitch run you only get 40token and 1.55g, wasn't mad because i join at the lass boss but if i ever join a P2 and see P3 way points up I am quitting I don't like glitching....

spiritfox

Hey guys, I'm going to buy/build a new pc somewhere down the line, and was wondering if someone knew how a GTX970 with an i5-4690k would handle the game? I'd hope to reach 60 fps with a build like that, but you never know, always better to ask!
I mean, it's going to be way better than my GT740 on my laptop, that's for sure.

I have worse specs than that and I'm hitting solid 60fps. You'll be fine.

The game is more CPU locked so if you're building specifically with GW2 in mind, invest in the CPU.

That being said I have an i5-4670K and GTX 780 and I'm almost always getting 60fps (except at world bosses where there are a billion people throwing effects everywhere). Those specs will be more than enough

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I'm using an MSI GTX 970 4G @ +140/500, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz with a 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD and I get 60fps out in the world, in sPvP and Dungeons. World Bosses drop me to 15fps (lowest, Frozen Maw) to around 35fps (Jormag). WvW is similar if you're in a zerg fighting another zerg. The game is massively held back by its engine and no matter how good your hardware is you won't maintain 60fps in the situations I mentioned without heavily modifying your video settings. Make sure you get a good cooler so you can overclock your CPU, the game is very CPU focused and you will see big gains going from stock to around 4.4/4.5GHz which seems to be the average overclock (obviously it can be higher or lower depending on chip luck). I'm personally using the Antec Kulher which is a closed loop water cooler, it's no harder to install than an air cooler but it's smaller, lighter, quieter and cooler than nearly all air coolers.

And for the record this is at 1080p.

spiritfox

Oh yeah, get an SSD or loading screens will take forever

I load GW2 off my HDD and it takes almost a minute when it first loads. I should put it on my SSD, but I don't like putting non-OS stuff on it.

All these talk about specs reminds me that I want to upgrade my graphics card soon. Is there anything coming out soon or I can buy now?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Yes sir, I was an early SSD adopter and I've never looked back, they're so affordable now as well. You can get a Samsung 850 Evo for £50/£80/£150 (120GB/250GB/500GB) and it's worth every penny, it will breath new life into your PC, and make a huge difference in certain games. Even the 120GB would allow Windows, all programs and your top 3 games, paired with a large storage HDD this is a great solution on a tight budget, and it's what I used before moving to the 500GB.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I used to run my cpu at 4.4 but I run it at 4.2 up from stock 3.5 now just so the fans don't have to work as hard, little quieter, good fps gain.

Also I find that at world events even the "low" model quantity setting shows more than enough people and really helps salvage your fps. Though I will set it to highest during the daily world boss or whatever just to see the full glory craziness.

And yep, I have a Samsung 840 pro for OS and GW2, basically. Recently grabbed a larger 850 EVO for other games that I never play.

Thorgal

I always joke on map chat that as long as my framerate is still in the double digits , they are not trying hard enough .

Wallach

I'm using an MSI GTX 970 4G @ +140/500, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz with a 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD and I get 60fps out in the world, in sPvP and Dungeons. World Bosses drop me to 15fps (lowest, Frozen Maw) to around 35fps (Jormag). WvW is similar if you're in a zerg fighting another zerg. The game is massively held back by its engine and no matter how good your hardware is you won't maintain 60fps in the situations I mentioned without heavily modifying your video settings. Make sure you get a good cooler so you can overclock your CPU, the game is very CPU focused and you will see big gains going from stock to around 4.4/4.5GHz which seems to be the average overclock (obviously it can be higher or lower depending on chip luck). I'm personally using the Antec Kulher which is a closed loop water cooler, it's no harder to install than an air cooler but it's smaller, lighter, quieter and cooler than nearly all air coolers.

And for the record this is at 1080p.

There's pretty much no MMO on the market right now that has a great answer to this problem. They're all enormously CPU-constrained for roughly the same reasons.

Thanks for the tips! I'm not planning on overclocking immediately, but I'll look into it later on for sure. Hopefully with HoT we'll get some performance improvements maybe? They haven't really talked about that, have they?
Already on the list! Planning on putting OS, GW2 and some programs. Then I'll probably be moving other games back and forth between HDD and SSD.

Retro

So, Easter dinner with the in-laws is going to be a bit earlier here than I thought it would be, so it's looking like I won't be able to make Make-up missions, or if I can it will be very sporadic as there will be cooking and stuff I need to help with.

Hawk, Ash, or any of the Officers free around 3pm to kick things off? I know we have quite a few folks who can't make Saturday night missions due to time differences, hopefully if things have to be cancelled it's not a major issue?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just hit 500 weaponsmith, it was bloody expensive and I still need to buy the actual weapons which will cost about 150g which I don't have. I really hope the Ascended armour won't cost 50g each like the weapons.

Ascended armor is vastly more expensive than weapons.

Good luck.

Thanks again to Retro, the best guide to Tyria you'll ever meet.

Poppy the Wolf, Snrif's Rabbits, Giants and the Shining Blade, and Order of Whispers secrets abound!

Retro

Just hit 500 weaponsmith, it was bloody expensive and I still need to buy the actual weapons which will cost about 150g which I don't have. I really hope the Ascended armour won't cost 50g each like the weapons.

You know Ascended gear is a very small stat increase over exotics and not something you really need for any kind of content (except high level fractals, i think), yes? Because it kinda sounds like you're spending money you'd rather not be, and realistically don't have to.

Thanks again to Retro, the best guide to Tyria you'll ever meet.

Poppy the Wolf, Snrif's Rabbits, Giants and the Shining Blade, and Order of Whispers secrets abound!

Like I said, there isn't a week that goes by I don't see something new in this game. Sometimes it's just a little Easter egg, or an event chain, or a cave I've never been in or a whole section of map (despite 100%'ing the world twice), but always something.

Swapping "have you seen..." stories is kind of my Endgame, I guess.

leng jai

You know Ascended gear is a very small stat increase over exotics and not something you really need for any kind of content (except high level fractals, i think), yes? Because it kinda sounds like you're spending money you'd rather not be, and realistically don't have to.

Like I said, there isn't a week that goes by I don't see something new in this game. Sometimes it's just a little Easter egg, or an event chain, or a cave I've never been in or a whole section of map (despite 100%'ing the world twice), but always something.

Swapping "have you seen..." stories is kind of my Endgame, I guess.

GW2 has the most pretentious end game of all time.

Complistic

you should only worry about ascended gear when you can craft it without it breaking your bank. The stat increase isn't something most people still even notice.

Retro

I guess everyone is expecting us to visit Bloodstone Fen in HoT?

That seems like a safe bet, yeah. Dragons love magical stuff, and that's a pretty damn big one. My question is, did the Dragon already get it, or did the weird, floating Forgotten-but-not guys in the trailer find it first and secure it in their golden city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom