• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars - Official NeoGAF Thread.

It's been a while, let me think...

Characters created in one campaign (Factions, for example) can travel freely to the other campaigns (Prophecies, Nightfall, and GWEN) provided your account has the access keys attached for those campaigns. If you don't own Prophecies, then you can't travel there, though you can trade for items and play with characters from Prophecies when they travel to Factions or the Battle Isles. Someone else feel free to correct me on this if I'm incorrect.

Hey, a second page! Only 280 more to catch up! :lol

:(

nix_nz

Neo Member
That's annoying, from your post I have derived that you don't get Prophecies when you buy one of the other expansions. I wanted to start on it, and my girlfriend wants to play too, but all I could find to buy for her was Factions. So now I have to hunt down Prophecies, sigh.

Factions, and Nightfall are both independent, fully-developed standalone games that (if one chooses) can be linked together and to Prophecies to allow a character complete access. They are not expansions. Only GWEN is an expansion, requiring ownership of at least one of the campaigns to play.

Prophecies shouldn't be too hard to find, most retailers are selling it for $29 now. Heck, my local Best Buy ordered a sh*tload of copies in advance of GWEN's release.

Grayman

you can also buy it on the online store if that is an option for you. Guild Wars doesn't really seem to drop significantly in price at stores or on ebay so the online store prices are ok.

One of my friends is getting into Guild Wars because of his cousin and I was considering trying it out too. Can someone give me a brief synopsis or the game? Like what it's based around gameplay wise and in comparison to something like WoW or Diablo?

Grayman

Spike Spiegel said:
Alright, my Warrior finally beat Prophecies! Sweet! :D

Too bad you don't get anything though. :(
Congratulations. I made big progress the last two days. My warrior and monk ascended. My warrior is actually up to thunderhead keep because I did the missions after droks while hanging out with someone before starting the desert. I am probably not going to get THK done soon though because my armor missed being infused somehow and I'm only half way through upgrading it.

ILOVEASIANS said:
One of my friends is getting into Guild Wars because of his cousin and I was considering trying it out too. Can someone give me a brief synopsis or the game? Like what it's based around gameplay wise and in comparison to something like WoW or Diablo?
Guild wars is very heavily based on a party of players usage of their 8 chosen skills(attacks, heals, hotkeyed stuff). There are six core professions(warrior, monk(healer), elemenalist(mage), necromancer(minions and life stealing), ranger(archer and or fight with a pet), mesmer(magic class that counters other classes or gives degeneration to health and energy like a necro). The later 2 chapters of the game each added 2 professions to players who own them as well. Players have a primary profession and a secondary one, the primary sets the armor, the secondary won't have it's main attribute that usually effects all the classes skills. They can use all skills from both classes though, even the ones from the secondary that they can't raise the primary only attribute for.

Generally no class is self sufficient. All classes have some form of self healing but it usually isn't enough compared to what a monk can do. Each has their role but groups can do most of the PVE game without a cookie cutter party, except for having healing.

The game is pretty quick for an RPG and you will be attacking and using many of your skills frequently. Interupting actions, causing conditions, helping yourself, or just causing more damage, you will be hitting the keys lots. Enemies can usually be pulled as separate groups of 4 or so but there are bigger areas as exceptions.

The world is not open. You setup your party in town and then are sent to your own private instance of the outside world. There are explorable areas and mission areas. Explorable areas are most of the world while missions are based on the story and have objectives to follow. The areas are constrained compared to wow. You can't jump in guild wars and you are put on paths through the areas mostly.

Loot. You don't open corpses. Items just fall to the ground from monsters. Coins or one item will usually fall from each monster but the items are assigned to one party member. If you have non player characters in the party(heroes or henchmen to fill it up) they will eat some of the loot so drops appear much less often.

There are trophy items that get you stuff from collectors, items you salvage for materials to make weapons and armor(actually they just go to a vendor like another type of currency), and weapons, wands, things you hold in your hands.

Weapons and armor can be modified with parts from other weapons and armor, like you can take the health bonus off a crappy staff and put it on your staff with higher damage.

Anyways reply with anything you want to know more about so I don't go on all night.

5yrgz2f.jpg

Game goes live tonight, anyone else pick up their copy yet?

bengraven

Thinking about getting this. Any suggestions before I start? For example:

Which class is easiest to level and/or most fun to?
How is the community?
Which of the three modules is best to start with?

Grayman

bengraven said:
Thinking about getting this. Any suggestions before I start? For example:

Which class is easiest to level and/or most fun to?
How is the community?
Which of the three modules is best to start with?
this will help you decide which to start with http://www.guildwarsguru.com/conten...et-which-guild-wars-should-you-buy-id2249.php

Any class doesn't really level faster than any other.

Any of them can be fun depending on how you want to play them.

A few things that might matter are that rangers and to a lesser extend warriors give early access to skills that make you run faster. So if you want to explore by yourself lots they can be a good choice, but you usually have to be over leveled to do this safely. Mesmers are fun to play as a class that counters it's enemies, a very active class. Monk(and maybe ritualist) is the only class with a chance of out healing damage for a prolonged time if you are alone. Every class has a self heal but they aren't as strong as a monks healing.

Monk is always the best secondary if you don't have a specific secondary profession in mind. People die in guild wars lots and monk skills can bring them back to life. Otherwise you have to use the classless resurrection signet which can only be used once per area unless you kill a boss after using it. res sig is better than most monk revives for pvp tho.

Question, ive heard that the collectors editions come with class specific weapons, that are very good, is this true? and for all collectors editions ?

Hmm... I know the collector's editions come with a bunch of physical extras like artbooks and mousepads, and in-game extras like special /dance emotes and mini-pets. But weapons, I'm not sure; the only ones I know of came through pre-ordering. GWiki says the "Game of the Year" version of Prophecies comes with /bonus weapons, though.

Anybody that owns the collector's editions care to comment?

Guys, what are your thoughts on heroes? There seems to be a movement amongst some GW players to end or limit the use of heroes, in an effort to increase the frequency of PUGs and restore the game's social interaction, which has tapered off considerably since Nightfall's release. By introducing heroes, they say, ANet is killing the game's community and increasing the number of "bad" players.

Personally, I'll take heroes over a bad PUG any day of the week; when I play GW I want to get things done, not stand around for an hour waiting for a team that fails the objective because someone dropped or didn't do his/her job. At the same, I agree that the community is suffering, and something needs to be done to restore the community aspect.

Grayman

Are those people ones like me who don't and won't have heroes?

Heroes are great to help fill up a group if the players can't find a monk or another role.

When I do play solo, which is a lot, because there aren't enough people do stuff with I am stuck with henchmen and heroes would be a huge improvement over that.

Limiting heroes won't make more people play through less popular areas or participate in community. It would just leave everyone using henchmen or sticking to their established group again.

I'd rather see more 4 player content, which is a lot easier to get a group together for than peoples heroes to get hosed in the whole game.

bengraven

I went out and bought the Game of the Year edition. Apparently it's just the first Guild Wars, Prophecies, with 7 bonus weapons; one for each class.

A bit disappointed I didn't get anything else, but it was slightly cheaper (do these things EVER go down in price?).

Going to try it out sometime today probably, or tomorrow. Will give impressions of course!

Just a heads up; GWEN players get double reputation points starting tomorrow and lasting through the weekend. A perfect opportunity to grind your way to that next Norn/Asuran/Vanguard/Dwarven rank, if you've got the time.

Also, try your luck in the mini-pet lottery.

Today's double reputation point weekend came with an update. The biggest changes? Hard Mode finally added to GWEN, the /report command goes official, and mini-pet issues with HoM have been resolved... kinda.

You can read the full details HERE.

Also, you guys should REALLY take advantage of this weekend's bonus. I just netted 12k Asuran points from ONE run through Magus Stones.

Scum

Spike Spiegel said:
Today's double reputation point weekend came with an update. The biggest changes? Hard Mode finally added to GWEN, the /report command goes official, and mini-pet issues with HoM have been resolved... kinda.

You can read the full details HERE.

Also, you guys should REALLY take advantage of this weekend's bonus. I just netted 12k Asuran points from ONE run through Magus Stones.
That's what I've been up to! I've been playing on the sly on these crapass PCs at work. I REALLY wish I was at home. It's dead here. 8'(

Hey guys. I played the first one in the beta before release and a couple months after release. I got a monk\ele to 20 and pretty much quit and bought wow.. Ofcourse since buying wow that long ago I haven't touched Guild Wars. I did buy factions though since I saw it at compusa for only $5.00. I still play wow but mostly for arena and pvp. So I need something to do when friends aren't online in wow. I feel like starting over in Guild Wars with a brand new toon in Guild Wars and then going through factions with her. I'm going to do another monk. Anything about the game I should know before I start back up?

Is there anything specific you're curious about? If you haven't played since Prophecies, you've missed out on... oh, 2.5 years of updates both minor and major.

Grayman

is the banned person going to come back to read what we write???

don't make a new monk for factions just trade your old monk over from proph. Factions basically starts at level 20. You can do the starter stuff on a different character in a couple hours. I used a mesmer.

Update - I think Gray the Almighty is up to the last mission in the game. Hard mode here i come!

icechai

hi all! How is the population and community these days in GW? I haven't really played since a little bit after they introduced Hard Mode, and it felt like AB was getting less fun and there were less people doing elite missions.

The population is fine, but the PvE community is... well, either I'm just playing at the wrong times of day, or ANet needs to introduce a new way for folks to socialize. Seems like the only people talking in the major cities/outposts these days are the spam bots.

How do you shake the uneasy feeling that a deal was too good to be true? Like, you think you just got scammed but everything looks clean and you can't figure out how?

I just bought this sword...

86shkeb.jpg

...that would be a perfect Sundering Colossal Scimitar of Fortitude, already dyed black...

...for 20k.

I just can't figure it out; either this was A) the nicest seller in all of GW, B) the dumbest seller in all of GW, or C) somehow a scam. She was certainly using the =D emoticon a lot, maybe that's what got me worried... but it was just too good to pass up. The mods alone are worth 20-30k alone, and the sword is upwards of 50-60k. A crazy good deal, and now my Warrior's completely set on swords.

Only now I can't shake this feeling. :(

tawal

Please, pardon my ignorance and inform me. Are there any differences between a Colossal Scimitar and any other sword? For that matter, are any two types of swords different? It seems to me that paying 50-60k for appearance is just really odd.

tawal said:
Please, pardon my ignorance and inform me. Are there any differences between a Colossal Scimitar and any other sword? For that matter, are any two types of swords different? It seems to me that paying 50-60k for appearance is just really odd.
Sorry it took so long, I keep forgetting to check this thread...

Aside from the inscriptions and mods, there's no functional difference between my Colossal Scimitar (or any "rare" sword) and say, a crafted or collector's sword. Just like there's no functional difference between 1.5k armor and 15k armor; without runes they're exactly the same. The appeal is its unique appearance and rarity; like wearing elite armor, or dying your gear black, or carrying a maxed title, it's a status symbol.

bengraven

I don't get how this thread isn't jumping either. Don't get me wrong, I don't play (no access at my PC yet, but probably won't be able to put much into it anyway), but isn't Guild Wars one of the most played MMOs out there?

Maybe when the PS3 version comes out... ;)

I haven't rolled a Ranger yet, but... I don't think it matters, other than for appearance's sake. Pets evolve based on how well/poorly they perform in combat, not on their species; there's a number of guides on places like GuildWiki to tell you the specifics. I'd say just pick an animal you like and go with it.

vesp

Are there any GAF guilds in Guild Wars that play the GvG stuff pretty seriously? I played pretty hardcore during Prophecies and my guild was top 20 in the GVG for a short time, but then people lost interest and the game became pretty unplayable for me without being able to field 8 people. I'd be kinda interested in playing again if there was a team to play with.

vesp said:
Are there any GAF guilds in Guild Wars that play the GvG stuff pretty seriously? I played pretty hardcore during Prophecies and my guild was top 20 in the GVG for a short time, but then people lost interest and the game became pretty unplayable for me without being able to field 8 people. I'd be kinda interested in playing again if there was a team to play with.

I stopped playing GW at the end of last summer after playing since the game's release. I was in top 10 guilds for over a year and a half, and then my interest waned. GW PvP was really, really good at its peak, and really, really bad at its low points. Unfortunately, with the devs adding so many new skills and classes, the game's balance became disheveled after every new expansion. After an expansion was released, there would be 5 or 6 months of absolute stupid unbalance. After that, there would be a sweet period of relative balance, which usually only lasted like 3 months, that was very fun to play. Then another expansion would come. Before GWEN came out, the community was fed up. They did not want to bear another expansion, the game already had too much in it to be fun anymore. To make matters worse, the last "balanced" period wasn't even fun: it was plagued by technical problems like disconnects, causing many server maintenance periods. Not only that, but the balanced period wasn't even fun to play. Sure, it was balanced (or at least more than before), but the player archetypes were boring and didn't lack the skill required that old builds had. Old players left in droves. Most of the top 50 was gone by the time GWEN was out. New players weren't joining PvP to replace the old players either; the learning curve was too high. In order to even be usable in PvP you have to unlock hundreds of skills, weapons, runes, etc. through THOUSANDS of hours of grinding. Not only that, but decent guilds want players who have years of experience in top 50 play. Getting into the top echelon this late in the game is impossible, and newbies just feel defeat after defeat. The PvP community that now remains is a fraction of what it used to be. The PvE community is still thriving though.

Its a shame because GW's core gameplay was amazing. Very conducive to competitive play. If that stupid expansion system wasn't there, the community would have evolved into much more than it was. At GW's peak, there were televised tournaments and great competition. Now, there's just the stragglers in a dead PvP scene. Trust me, don't waste your time returning to the game.

Shoho

Banned
The Crimson Blur said:
I stopped playing GW at the end of last summer after playing since the game's release. I was in top 10 guilds for over a year and a half, and then my interest waned. GW PvP was really, really good at its peak, and really, really bad at its low points. Unfortunately, with the devs adding so many new skills and classes, the game's balance became disheveled after every new expansion. After an expansion was released, there would be 5 or 6 months of absolute stupid unbalance. After that, there would be a sweet period of relative balance, which usually only lasted like 3 months, that was very fun to play. Then another expansion would come. Before GWEN came out, the community was fed up. They did not want to bear another expansion, the game already had too much in it to be fun anymore. To make matters worse, the last "balanced" period wasn't even fun: it was plagued by technical problems like disconnects, causing many server maintenance periods. Not only that, but the balanced period wasn't even fun to play. Sure, it was balanced (or at least more than before), but the player archetypes were boring and didn't lack the skill required that old builds had. Old players left in droves. Most of the top 50 was gone by the time GWEN was out. New players weren't joining PvP to replace the old players either; the learning curve was too high. In order to even be usable in PvP you have to unlock hundreds of skills, weapons, runes, etc. through THOUSANDS of hours of grinding. Not only that, but decent guilds want players who have years of experience in top 50 play. Getting into the top echelon this late in the game is impossible, and newbies just feel defeat after defeat. The PvP community that now remains is a fraction of what it used to be. The PvE community is still thriving though.

Its a shame because GW's core gameplay was amazing. Very conducive to competitive play. If that stupid expansion system wasn't there, the community would have evolved into much more than it was. At GW's peak, there were televised tournaments and great competition. Now, there's just the stragglers in a dead PvP scene. Trust me, don't waste your time returning to the game.

*sigh*

Is this just not another one of does speeches? Its like this in every goddam game. "it was amazing back then, but then something they did ruined it bla bla bla"...

come on. your just being nostalgia biased, while not being able to adapt to their new changes. so many people think that everything that has happened has been for the better. games get old, people change and start liking other stuff. you dont always have to find reasons for suddenly not liking something anymore. Thats just stupid!

vesp

Shoho said:
*sigh*

Is this just not another one of does speeches? Its like this in every goddam game. "it was amazing back then, but then something they did ruined it bla bla bla"...

come on. your just being nostalgia biased, while not being able to adapt to their new changes. so many people think that everything that has happened has been for the better. games get old, people change and start liking other stuff. you dont always have to find reasons for suddenly not liking something anymore. Thats just stupid!

I actually found the post very helpful, it was exactly the type of information I wanted/needed. Youre right that games change and that changes arent necessarily bad and that length of gameplay makes even minor annoyances seem fairly big, but these games definitely do have a cycle, especially in top tier play, and theres always comes a point where the "real" dev team moves on to the next big thing while fill ins milk the franchise and bloat it to the point of not being worthwhile anymore. And whether the individual complaints have a ton of merit or not, if the hardcore pvp community feels that way and have mostly left, coupled with very stringent recruitment standards by the people that are left, it does sound like it's a game better left in the past for me.

Shoho said:
*sigh*

...its an online based game. These games evolve with time and take definite shape as time moves on. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, the fact is that the game has changed since it started. I hope you realize that there was not one thing that turned me off in particular. It wasn't like "omg they changed my fave skill and ruined everything!" Read my post carefully and you will see that the problem with GW isn't that simple; the problems with the game come from its core expansion mechanic. The fact of the matter is that when the PvP community leaves en masse, the game is worse as a result.

Man, the new "Bonus" pack exclusive weapons look sooooooo sweet... too bad you had to spend $30 at the online store to qualify for it. :(

Tonight, I had some fun. While running through Ascalon City on the snowman quest I noticed some Lvl20s were giving away free gifts to the new players. I decided to get in on the action, and farmed Charr Carvings for an hour or so to be able to give away a bunch of decent collector weapons to some people. Got a lot of comments on my Wintersday hat, too; you'd be surprised how many people don't have a clue what's going on with the event.

tawal

I would be up for it, but I only have Prophecies and I'm not likely to get any of the other campaigns or the expansion any time soon.

tawal said:
I would be up for it, but I only have Prophecies and I'm not likely to get any of the other campaigns or the expansion any time soon.

I'm not likely to get to any of them anytime soon :p I just want people to play with and a cool cape. Can we all get capes with neogaf logos? how do you create them anyway?

Panda

Does anyone still play Guild Wars? Is the population in decline, or do people just not talk about it as much as some other MMOs? Might grab a bunch of people to try it if I still remember how to play this. >.<

Shoho

Banned
Panda said:
Does anyone still play Guild Wars? Is the population in decline, or do people just not talk about it as much as some other MMOs? Might grab a bunch of people to try it if I still remember how to play this. >.<

are you crazy man?

4 million people play guild wars!:)

the game is not talked about HER, because GAF is very low on:

1)PC games. besides a few big ones like WoW, CS, STALKER...

2)MMOs... most people on gaf dont know about MMOs if their lives depended on it. most people here didn't even play UO or M59! And does games are the Mario 64 and OOT of MMOs!

3)highly interlectual games. GW is mad hardcore, mathmatics and teamwork. its not for the casual console gamer(HINT: main GAF audience). the game requires dedication and investment to become good at.

j-wood

I'm wanting to get back into guild wars. I have all the campaigns, except for eye of the north. Anyone from GAF still play regularly? Do we have a guild or anything?

Fordzilla

I just reinstalled a few days ago and have been playing when I've got time. The character I've been playing most is my N/Mo X Trang Oul X

Mallika

So I never tried Guild Wars but saw that there was a complete boxed set that just came out, which includes all 3 campaigns as well as GW:EN ... I'm damn tempted to get it, but I know I'll be kind of busy playing WoW right now. Besides which, I thought it was a pretty neat deal and wanted to mention it in case someone was thinking about getting it. (I think the Complete Collection is called Guild Wars: Trilogy in the USA.)

Do you guys still log in from time to time? I suppose GW is more 'pop in' friendly in the sense that since you don't have any monthly fees.

Rawk Hawk

Mallika said:
So I never tried Guild Wars but saw that there was a complete boxed set that just came out, which includes all 3 campaigns as well as GW:EN ... I'm damn tempted to get it, but I know I'll be kind of busy playing WoW right now. Besides which, I thought it was a pretty neat deal and wanted to mention it in case someone was thinking about getting it. (I think the Complete Collection is called Guild Wars: Trilogy in the USA.)

Do you guys still log in from time to time? I suppose GW is more 'pop in' friendly in the sense that since you don't have any monthly fees.

Hmm I've played FFXI and WoW, dropped both due to some weeks I just can't play enough to warrent the monthly fee. With a complete set out this might be worth a try. Any GAFers still play?

Top Bottom