• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

Wag

I fixed my guitar jack. I opened the back and bent forward in the piece of metal that makes contact with the plug. No more static. Eventually I'm going to need a new jack.

I also got my Phitz bag. For $18 shipped it's awesome. It's well made and got plenty of padding. Anyone looking for a cheap gig-bag I highly recommend them.

Kalamari

Does anyone have experience negotiating the price downward on used guitars at a Guitar Store? What are some of the things you point out that can convince the seller to lower the price?

I'm gonna start shopping for an electric soon.

Grassy

Does anyone have experience negotiating the price downward on used guitars at a Guitar Store? What are some of the things you point out that can convince the seller to lower the price?

Knowledge is power. Do plenty of research, check Ebay for prices, see if there are other stores online with similar guitars and what their prices are, paying with cash can help too.

I fixed my guitar jack. I opened the back and bent forward in the piece of metal that makes contact with the plug. No more static. Eventually I'm going to need a new jack.

I also got my Phitz bag. For $18 shipped it's awesome. It's well made and got plenty of padding. Anyone looking for a cheap gig-bag I highly recommend them.

Can you tell me how you did that? Which piece did you bend? Do you by any chance have a recording of the guitar before doing this. Because I think my guitar is noisy.

Can you tell me how you did that? Which piece did you bend? Do you by any chance have a recording of the guitar before doing this. Because I think my guitar is noisy.

When you wiggle the end of the cable like Wag's problem or all the time or when you move the guitar next to lights? There's lots of sources for 'noise'.

picture. The sticky-outty-bit on the left is kept in contact with the tip of the cable by virtue of being a spring that pushes back on the tip of the cable. It wasn't spring-y enough in Wag's case, so that the signal would be intermittently cut when the cable was wiggled. Sounds amazing through an amplifier.

Most guitar stores already have their profit margins set on used equipment. They figure that out during the purchase of the used gear. Thus most guitar stores are not very flexible when it comes to used gear. The key is to know their inventory. If you've seen a guitar there for months and they start discounting it, then you may have room for negotiation since they do not want extended diminished returns. But again, this will depend on the store manager (even each Guitar Center is different). A deal on a newly acquired used gear is very unlikely. A lot of guitar stores also try to make you feel good about your purchase by throwing in a free gig bag or strap, but it's nothing to them cuz they have thousands of those in the back, and they'll entice with "freebies" before you get to any price reductions. The best deals are person-to-person.

turbocat

Is the safest/most reliable place to sell gear for a good price still Reverb? I'm planning on selling an electric, an amp, and potentially an acoustic. I'd imagine that shipping is going to be an issue.

Is the safest/most reliable place to sell gear for a good price still Reverb? I'm planning on selling an electric, an amp, and potentially an acoustic. I'd imagine that shipping is going to be an issue.

Pretty much. Their e-mail and chat support is very good, plus they're seller fees are better than eBay. The other option is craigslist, of course.

Wag

When you wiggle the end of the cable like Wag's problem or all the time or when you move the guitar next to lights? There's lots of sources for 'noise'.

picture. The sticky-outty-bit on the left is kept in contact with the tip of the cable by virtue of being a spring that pushes back on the tip of the cable. It wasn't spring-y enough in Wag's case, so that the signal would be intermittently cut when the cable was wiggled. Sounds amazing through an amplifier.

Exactly. I just bent in the little piece in that picture that looks like safety pin that makes contact with the jack. Don't bend it in too much tho or it might break.

Hello friends!

I've had a guitar for many years but I only played songs I've learned from tab. I'd like to take myself further to be able to play tunes that I make up in my head, write my own songs and transcribe other musicians work. But I wouldn't know where to start so I'd love some thoughts on how to go about this!

Hello friends!

I've had a guitar for many years but I only played songs I've learned from tab. I'd like to take myself further to be able to play tunes that I make up in my head, write my own songs and transcribe other musicians work. But I wouldn't know where to start so I'd love some thoughts on how to go about this!

Some good ways to progress:-
1. Play with other musicians! Get a jam, crank the guitars up, make some noise!
2. Play along with yourself - and there are many ways to do this - use a looper, a DAW, BeatBuddy, Trio etc... Play some simple notes, build some stuff up, experiement! And record it, listen back see what you like
3. Push yourself out of your comfort zone - freshen things up! If you usually play clean, try some dirt? Or vice versa! Try different tunings! If you usually play chords, try dyads and triads. Try some fx, delay, chorus etc... anything to get those creative juices going
4. For rythym guitar especially, try playing some drums, or failing that program some beats - get a feel for how time signatures work and play along at different tempos!
5. Above all, don't get frustrated, be patient

Wag

Hello friends!

Start jamming with other people. I don't know where you live, but in the US there are blues jams all over the place. You could probably play with other people every night of the week if you wanted.

But I wouldn't know where to start so I'd love some thoughts on how to go about this!

1. Start trying to play the songs in your head.

2. Figure out what you're playing. You may need to learn some basic music theory, which will also help...

3. Write it down in a conventional enough fashion to share with other people.

For other people's work, it's just steps 2 & 3. Between YT and software that analyzes music, it's easier than ever to dissect other people's songs.

Wesleyt

Neo Member
Ver nice! I have a Fender Twin too, but I hate it. Too heavy to carry and the speakers are way too punchy. I prefer my Super Reverb.
Thanks. You aren't kidding about the twin reverb. It is really heavy and loud. The speakers are pretty punchy also. I rarely play it anymore but every time I do I'm amazed at how clean it is.

Sora_N

Any good popular songs that are easy to play on Classical Guitar? Thats the only guitar I have to learn with.

Never played an instrument in my life and not sure how to start if I want to just self learn for free.

Thanks. The boogie is my latest purchase. It's a very versatile amp.

I'm happy with mine. It is quite versatile. Though that said I mostly play on channel 2 on the mkIIC+ setting.

It is quite nice. Don't normally go for those kinda' guitars but I could make an exception here. I am impressed with Chapman Guitars. The Norseman I have is really good if a but too heavy.

Watching their video, it seems they realize on a lot of their guitars people thought were too heavy, so the new ones are going to be a bit lighter.

My gf got me a code 25 for my birthday, been playing with it for a couple of hours and it's fun even most of the presets I don't find very usable. Also got Ibanez tubescreamer clone, so Good guitar day.

My DIY "V Project" arrived from bargainmusician.com today! $145. I'm pretty impressed with the kit overall! I've heard horror stories about some of these Chinese kits, but I guess it depends on the batch/factory/distributor/etc. Looks like I lucked out so far (crossing fingers). The neck is really impressive and the fret work is good! There may be some filing/leveling/crowning to do but it looks minimal. Sanding also looks like it'll be minimal too, the body is very smooth. Tuners are terrible right off the bat and I will probably get Wilkinson roto tuners. Gonna go with a solid banana yellow with some black touches - might look a bit Stryper-ish but I want that 80s metal look and I want to keep it simple. I have no problems on the soldering and electronics front - I've been prying apart and putting my guitars back together since childhood - but I've never done a paint job. Should be interesting. I will update with progress. Supposed be patient and sand/paint//sand/coat/sand/etc. over a number of weeks if you want that factory finish.

PtKyG1K.jpg

PkGyPu2.jpg

WsxsqIS.jpg

b03JoSN.jpg

Any good popular songs that are easy to play on Classical Guitar? Thats the only guitar I have to learn with.

Never played an instrument in my life and not sure how to start if I want to just self learn for free.

house of the rising sun is a must know for any guitarist

When I was quite young, probably 12 or 13, I was taught pachebals Canon and so if your up for a challenge that might be suitable. It took me months to get it down though mind you

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I've decided to downsize my collection since I'm not actually any good at guitar and just really wanted to have a single Les Paul (for fulfilling my fantasy purposes). Is it okay if I post a few things I want to sell in this thread? I have an SG and a 1996 PRS CE-22 that I'd like to offload plus a few odds and ends (pickups I bought and never actually used, wiring sets, etc.)

Not sure there'd be a ton of interest in here, but I've shipped a lot of guitars over eBay and such, and I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible (although it may be unavoidable).

So I've decided to downsize my collection since I'm not actually any good at guitar and just really wanted to have a single Les Paul (for fulfilling my fantasy purposes). Is it okay if I post a few things I want to sell in this thread? I have an SG and a 1996 PRS CE-22 that I'd like to offload plus a few odds and ends (pickups I bought and never actually used, wiring sets, etc.)

Not sure there'd be a ton of interest in here, but I've shipped a lot of guitars over eBay and such, and I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible (although it may be unavoidable).

I'd put them up in the buy/sell/trade thread, and post a link here.

And don't feel bad about having good gear. I have a Gibson J45 Rosewood and a PRS Singlecut, and I've been playing the same Metallica riffs since high school.

Syncytia

Check out reverb.com as well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay what's the best/quickest way to ear training
Tired of not being able to learn songs without tabs

Well, I used to put a song on and follow the bassline/root notes. Pick something straight forward. If you're not sure whether you got it right or not, you can check the tab/music after to see how close you were. Takes time, but it will help develop your ear.

Well, I used to put a song on and follow the bassline/root notes. Pick something straight forward. If you're not sure whether you got it right or not, you can check the tab/music after to see how close you were. Takes time, but it will help develop your ear.
I guess that's fairly simple. Will do!

Okay what's the best/quickest way to ear training
Tired of not being able to learn songs without tabs

When I was learning guitar decades ago there wasn't any technology to slow down songs and stay on pitch. Today you can slow down any song and really take your time to hear the notes. Even in youtube you can slow down songs 1/4 speed, half speed, etc. It's a GREAT way to train your ear. Then you can notch it up to regular speed when you're comfortable.

zbarron

I might be buying an Epiphone SG this weekend from a guy on Craigslist. What is a fair price for it and are they any good? Obviously I mean for being budget guitars. It's not going to sound like a Gibson.

Here is a picture.

I might be buying an Epiphone SG this weekend from a guy on Craigslist. What is a fair price for it and are they any good? Obviously I mean for being budget guitars. It's not going to sound like a Gibson.

That's an Epiphone SG Special. They go for about $80-$100 used. It's alright for a beater. Pretty much the lowest end of the Epiphone line.

Well my budget is sub-$100. Could I do much better in that budget? I'm guessing not.

For heavy rock (double humbuckers) that's probably the best option, yeah. The other option is a used Fender Bullet Strat in that price range, but they're mostly in triple single coils config for more light blues/rock.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't figure out how Gibson/Fender pulled the wool over everyone's eyes by offering guitars with shitty paintjobs at dramatically lower prices without anyone noticing that having a shitty paintjob shouldn't subtract thousands off of the price (e.g. the regular paintjob guitars are way overpriced).

zbarron

It's probably the best value guitar you can get
For heavy rock (double humbuckers) that's probably the best option, yeah. The other option is a used Fender Bullet Strat in that price range, but they're mostly in triple single coils config for more light blues/rock.

Thanks.

I sold this guy my projector for cheap and he's giving me a really good price on it ($50 and including a Squire SP10) so I feel like it's too good of a deal to turn down.

I can always replace the pickups or split the humbuckers if need be I figure. I'm not really one for distortion. Should it at least sound inoffensive clean?

Also while I'm asking electric guitar questions: Does anyone know a good pedal or something to make an electric guitar sound like an NES or any other game system? I really like playing video game music.

Angry Grimace

I'd put them up in the buy/sell/trade thread, and post a link here.

And don't feel bad about having good gear. I have a Gibson J45 Rosewood and a PRS Singlecut, and I've been playing the same Metallica riffs since high school.

Heh, I don't feel THAT bad about it - the sheer number of guitars PRS/Gibson/Fender produces almost guarantees the vast majority of them are owned by people who aren't very good.

Got a new camera and decided to take some guitar pics. I would fucking love this one of my PRS if it weren't for the dog hair to the right of the body.

I just love looking at this guitar. It is just a work of art. The fact it feels and sounds great is just a bonus. Going to try and get another shot like that without the hair on the ground and the vent in the back, then get one of my J45 and see how much it costs to have those glass pictures made of them. Be cool to hang on the wall by my records.

Top Bottom