• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a cool pic, but the reflection on the floor (to the left of the input jack) makes it look like there's a weird seam in the body wood too
KuGsj.gif

I've always been more of a plain maple guy - I guess I just never liked flame maple much.

Syncytia

Okay what's the best/quickest way to ear training
Tired of not being able to learn songs without tabs

Look into getting something like Audicity or Reaper, import the song, figure out the tempe, and you can select a region (like the chorus) and just loop it. Really helpful if you're having a hard time with a part. You can slow it down too.

It's a cool pic, but the reflection on the floor (to the left of the input jack) makes it look like there's a weird seam in the body wood too
KuGsj.gif

I've always been more of a plain maple guy - I guess I just never liked flame maple much.

That's really tripping me out too.

Here ya go.

Wizardry! But, I need it done to the high res copy on my computer to get it printed.

KuGsj.gif

That's really tripping me out too.

Haha. My wife and I thought that was cool looking. It's in all the pictures I liked:

EDIT: I just realized you guys meant the vertical reflection, not the wood floor reflection itself. I didn't notice that until you guys pointed it out. Now it's all I'll see.

I've always been turned on by flame tops. They are just beautiful looking. Quilt tops, on the other hand, I find absolutely hideous.

I like all maple tops. Only have a plain-top LP:

But my Eastman has flame maple back/sides— of which I have no photo online, apparently.

Sora_N

house of the rising sun is a must know for any guitarist

When I was quite young, probably 12 or 13, I was taught pachebals Canon and so if your up for a challenge that might be suitable. It took me months to get it down though mind you

Actually that's the song (Pachebel's Canon) I would like to learn on classical since that's all I have right now, but since I don't know anything I assume I should learn the basics first.

Check out Justin Guitar and Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar e-book first. As for easy to learn and popular songs maybe The Rolling Stones "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" is good start?

Thank you. :) I will check out those resources.

Wag

Rocksmith is frustrating the hell out of me.lol

It's funny how most of the videos in Rocksmith are the same guitar I just bought- an Epiphone SG.

Syncytia

Actually that's the song (Pachebel's Canon) I would like to learn on classical since that's all I have right now, but since I don't know anything I assume I should learn the basics first.

Thank you. :) I will check out those resources.

Check out this book. https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Guitar-Masters-TAB-Intermediate/dp/0739000772/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486013343&sr=8-2&keywords=Spanish+for+guitar

It's what I started with for classical. All the songs are pretty great and it goes up from very beginner to advanced. Asturias is an amazing song even if you can't play it to speed or some parts of it. I still can't play all of it but it's the song that has really pushed my playing for classical. Even the easy songs are good, at this point I basically play a couple of them as fast as I possibly can lol.

I always find the best thing to do is challenge myself, and those two songs will teach you a lot that will help you when it comes to others. Simon and Garfunkal tunes are good too, basic blues stuff like muddy waters or buddy guy, classics like Chuck Berry, all real good to just sit and listen carefully

Back in middle school during one summer, I sat in my bed and listened to Led Zeppelins debut daily. I feel that kind of exercise is well worth it

Sora_N

I always find the best thing to do is challenge myself, and those two songs will teach you a lot that will help you when it comes to others. Simon and Garfunkal tunes are good too, basic blues stuff like muddy waters or buddy guy, classics like Chuck Berry, all real good to just sit and listen carefully

Back in middle school during one summer, I sat in my bed and listened to Led Zeppelins debut daily. I feel that kind of exercise is well worth it

If I wanted to play P's Canon, what do you recommend I do then? I barely know anything about Guitar.

I guess it's best to read the ebook linked earlier and watch some of the videos first?

I don't have a good ear for music and it's something I won't mind getting better at.

Okay so I took your advice to heart and I started trying to learn this song.
Kreator-Satan is Real by ear, and I think I'm doing alright so far (Literally just started like 5 minutes ago so I'm not far) but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Just need someone to confirm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUv8GxrqXPk
The riff from 0:05-0:07
What i hear is, the song is in D standard and the riff in those two seconds is, it opens with a power chord (6th string open, 5th string A on second fret), the following notes are D and F followed by a short hammer on of E to F then concluding that small snippet with a D# power chord.
Am I correct?

Alright, it's time to try and break away from the pentatonic scale. I'm trying to figure out soloing with arpeggios. I kind of did a quick look at some stuff last night and was getting the basic gist of it. But, does anyone have any suggestions for a newb in the area?

Like I said, I kind of get it in my head after reading about it last night a bit. But, how to actually use it is where I am feeling just totally lost.

zbarron

Change of plans. I just bought the Monoprice California Classic (Strat clone.) I don't think anyone here had one so I'll post pictures, impressions, and samples if anyone is interested. I should be able to get a rip straight from the guitar with my Rocksmith cable.

It's on sale for $69.99
https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pr...categoryid=11501&subcategoryid=1150101&cpncd=

While the SG for $40 is a steal I figure this is only $30 more for a new guitar vs used, and more importantly my wife thinks it looks better and since it's going on our living room wall that's an important consideration.

Maybe if I don't like the included pickups I'll grab these down the road.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-tex-mex-pickups-set-of-3#productDetail
That should be pretty good sounding for $140.

Alright, it's time to try and break away from the pentatonic scale. I'm trying to figure out soloing with arpeggios. I kind of did a quick look at some stuff last night and was getting the basic gist of it. But, does anyone have any suggestions for a newb in the area?

Like I said, I kind of get it in my head after reading about it last night a bit. But, how to actually use it is where I am feeling just totally lost.

They key to using arpeggios is knowing what chords you are soloing over. Since arpeggios are built upon chords, you are essentially breaking apart a chord and using those notes to create a melodic line. Thus if you can follow the chord progression of a song, you can break apart those chords into arpeggios and kind of chain them together. To a large degree, that's what soloing is really about.

Change of plans. I just bought the Monoprice California Classic (Strat clone.) I don't think anyone here had one so I'll post pictures, impressions, and samples if anyone is interested. I should be able to get a rip straight from the guitar with my Rocksmith cable.

It's on sale for $69.99
https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pr...categoryid=11501&subcategoryid=1150101&cpncd=

While the SG for $40 is a steal I figure this is only $30 more for a new guitar vs used, and more importantly my wife thinks it looks better and since it's going on our living room wall that's an important consideration.

Maybe if I don't like the included pickups I'll grab these down the road.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-tex-mex-pickups-set-of-3#productDetail
That should be pretty good sounding for $140.

I would have stuck with the Epiphone myself, but the reviews for the Monoprice seem overwhelmingly positive. Take some pics and let us know how it plays!

They key to using arpeggios is knowing what chords you are soloing over. Since arpeggios are built upon chords, you are essentially breaking apart a chord and using those notes to create a melodic line. Thus if you can follow the chord progression of a song, you can break apart those chords into arpeggios and kind of chain them together. To a large degree, that's what soloing is really about.

That's about all the further I've gotten. My problem is actually figuring out and playing a melody that sounds like a lead. Like, it doesn't really sound like I'm doing a solo, it sounds like I'm just picking out the notes of the chord. I haven't found the magic with it, yet.

Wag

That monoprice guitar has shitty reviews on Amazon. You're better off investing a little more for a decent used guitar. I managed to pick up that SG G400 that I posted a picture of for $160 all told. It's practically brand new- a few dings but no big deal.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Holy shit, Rocksmith is a PITA. It doesn't recognize my presses half the time. Heh. I thought I was a decent player, I guess I was mistaken. 😀

zbarron

That monoprice guitar has shitty reviews on Amazon. You're better off investing a little more for a decent used guitar. I managed to pick up that SG G400 that I posted a picture of for $160 all told. It's practically brand new- a few dings but no big deal.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Holy shit, Rocksmith is a PITA. It doesn't recognize my presses half the time. Heh. I thought I was a decent player, I guess I was mistaken. 😀
Not from what I can see. It has each color listed individually, but total the number of 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, 2 stars, and 1 star reviews are:

The reviews on Monoprice are overwhelmingly positive. On youtube reviews and forums it's mostly positive too. There's also a 30 day return policy if I don't like it. I'll have missed the deal on the SG Special but I can always find another guitar deal.

That's about all the further I've gotten. My problem is actually figuring out and playing a melody that sounds like a lead. Like, it doesn't really sound like I'm doing a solo, it sounds like I'm just picking out the notes of the chord. I haven't found the magic with it, yet.

Start slow, get faster. Start low, get higher. When ending a run, go a note past your stopping point and come back. Sing melodies. Quote the song's existing melody. If you have a pleasant enough melody use slides/bends/chromatic tricks to add variety.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Picked this guy up today:

(better photo)

It's a 2016 Traditional in a Lemon Burst or whatever finish. I just picked up the PRS a few months ago, but while it sounds killer, I just don't feel comfortable playing it the way I do playing Gibsons, I guess I'm just used to that specific feel. There's nothing wrong with the CE-22 and it has a bedazzled finish, but I guess I'm just a Gibson guy, so I'm going to sell that plus a few odds and ends (pickups I never used but bought years ago, wiring harnesses, etc., a project Orville Les Paul I never put together) to just finance having this one guitar along with my faded SG my wife bought me a decade ago.

Picked this guy up today:

better photo)

It's a 2016 Traditional in a Lemon Burst or whatever finish. I just picked up the PRS a few months ago, but while it sounds killer, I just don't feel comfortable playing it the way I do playing Gibsons, I guess I'm just used to that specific feel. There's nothing wrong with the CE-22 and it has a bedazzled finish, but I guess I'm just a Gibson guy, so I'm going to sell that plus a few odds and ends (pickups I never used but bought years ago, wiring harnesses, etc., a project Orville Les Paul I never put together) to just finance having this one guitar along with my faded SG my wife bought me a decade ago.

Wow that looks amazing!! Perfect color combo too - the ultimate Les Paul look. I love zebra pickups on that style. I kinda hear ya about PRS. I have a PRS Custom 24, but it's not my go-to even though it's my most expensive guitar. I often think about selling it, but I've had it forever now so I guess I'm attached to it.

Surfinn

Alright guys.. I think I'm finally ready to buy a guitar, now that my tax money will be here soon. I think I might go through Sweetwater and order from them, is this the best choice? The guitar I buy will probably last me over ten years, as my Gibson SG Specail Faded has. It's a great sounding guitar but the frets are too high and the nut is always catching the strings.. damn thing never stays in tune. Always sharp.

Here's what I want:

-Thin guitar, easy to play, low frets (I don't have huge hands)
-Poweful passive humbuckers that will play a variety of styles, in either position, high output (I don't want to replace unsatisfactory pickups)
-5 way selector to get single coil sounds as well
-fixed bridge
-Simple design, solid colors, no extra crap on the fretboard (I don't want it to look crazy)

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Angry Grimace

Alright guys.. I think I'm finally ready to buy a guitar, now that my tax money will be here soon. I think I might go through Sweetwater and order from them, is this the best choice? The guitar I buy will probably last me over ten years, as my Gibson SG Specail Faded has. It's a great sounding guitar but the frets are too high and the nut is always catching the strings.. damn thing never stays in tune. Always sharp.

Here's what I want:

-Thin guitar, easy to play, low frets (I don't have huge hands)
-Poweful passive humbuckers that will play a variety of styles, in either position, high output (I don't want to replace unsatisfactory pickups)
-5 way selector to get single coil sounds as well
-fixed bridge
-Simple design, solid colors, no extra crap on the fretboard (I don't want it to look crazy)

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
You probably need a price range, but a hardtail PRS CE-24 will do all of those, including being pre-set up with a 5-way rotary for single coil stuff. Those don't really exist new anymore (well they do, but I'd avoid the new ones, they're overpriced as fuck), but they're like ~$1000 in excellent used condition. A 5 way selector isn't set up to do anything single coil-ish by default unless the guitar is actually wired for coil splitting or coil tapping.

That said, there's a lot that will meet your needs, but the request for low frets is probably limiting you to vintage style stuff - smaller frets aren't really put on many guitars these days because companies don't want to deal with re-frets when they could just put bigger wire on and tell customers to get them crowned. I don't think your hand size has anything to do with fret height anyways unless you have like 6100s or something crazy on there.

Replacing the nut and getting a fret dressing is probably dramatically cheaper than buying a new axe, although I don't know why the string would pop out of the nut anyways unless it was slotted really weirdly.

Surfinn

You probably need a price range, but a hardtail PRS CE-24 will do all of those, including being pre-set up with a 5-way rotary for single coil stuff. Those don't really exist new anymore (well they do, but I'd avoid the new ones, they're overpriced as fuck), but they're like ~$1000 in excellent used condition. A 5 way selector isn't set up to do anything single coil-ish by default unless the guitar is actually wired for coil splitting or coil tapping.

That said, there's a lot that will meet your needs, but the request for low frets is probably limiting you to vintage style stuff - smaller frets aren't really put on many guitars these days because companies don't want to deal with re-frets when they could just put bigger wire on and tell customers to get them crowned. I don't think your hand size has anything to do with fret height anyways unless you have like 6100s or something crazy on there.

Replacing the nut and getting a fret dressing is probably dramatically cheaper than buying a new axe, although I don't know why the string would pop out of the nut anyways unless it was slotted really weirdly.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice, I was actually looking at that exact guitar when I read your post. I'm looking at around $1k.

When I slide my fingers across the frets, I feel like they're uncomfortably high. That's normal? I've always felt like that and guitars I've owned in the past have had a much smoother feeling and the frets felt a lot lower to me. That was one of the first things I noticed after playing my SG Special for a while. It didn't bother me much until months later when I started playing different styles though.

I want the single coil switch and a new experience in general. I've had my SG for over ten years and I'd like to try something else. I'm going to sell it and use my tax money to try a new guitar. I don't want to spend the money upgrading my current guitar if I'm going to buy another.

The string doesn't pop out of the nut. It just gets stuck and I have a "ping" on every single string, even if I use .009.

I was referring to the neck size/shape when I was talking about hand size, not the height of the frets.

Also.. I'm getting emails from my Sweetwater rep with "LOL" at the end. Has happened twice now via email. This was in response to me asking if he got my previous message since it had been a few days, and he replied with something like "sorry I was out of the office, catching up now, LOL."

Pretty unprofessional.. makes me feel weird trusting him with my $1,000.

If the strings are catching in the nut, it needs to be refiled. A tech can do it in 5 minutes. You could do it yourself by wrapping some very fine sandpaper around each guitar string and file it in the slot.

Sweetwater is a good company; I think they're just another arm of Guitar Center. The CSR's are overly friendly, I agree. I get a weird call early in the morning every few months from someone in Iowa asking me if I'm happy with my last purchase.

I'd put them up in the buy/sell/trade thread, and post a link here.

And don't feel bad about having good gear. I have a Gibson J45 Rosewood and a PRS Singlecut, and I've been playing the same Metallica riffs since high school.

I agree. I feel that if you can afford good gear, you might as well buy it if you enjoy the hobby.

Sweetwater phone calls are the worst.

I got a sweet deal on some guitars from them, though. My first PRS was a singlecut trem from the that was super cheap 'cause it had a flaw in the finish. When I got it, it was nearly impossible to see. The flaw was literally a pin size indention in the finish on the back. Must have been an air bubble.

My J45 Rosewood was from them also. Bought it years ago now, back when Gibson sold a standard j45 with the mahogany body, and then the rosewood for $200 more. Now if you want rosewood, it's called a j45 custom, is blinged out more than I like, and costs over $3,000. Gibson's prices have gotten insane the last decade. Any way, sweetwater had a rosewood listed at the mahogany price. It said rosewood in the title, but not in the description. So, the price and description were for the standard, while the title said it was rosewood. I emailed their support and mentioned the discrepancy in the title and description, not pointing out the price. They assured me it was rosewood. I ordered it, figuring if it showed up mahogany I'd return it. It showed up Rosewood. Pretty sweet. Thing has aged awesomely. Sounds better and better as time goes by.

Wag

Not from what I can see. It has each color listed individually, but total the number of 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, 2 stars, and 1 star reviews are:

The reviews on Monoprice are overwhelmingly positive. On youtube reviews and forums it's mostly positive too. There's also a 30 day return policy if I don't like it. I'll have missed the deal on the SG Special but I can always find another guitar deal.

As I said, I think you'd be happier just waiting until you have enough money to buy a decent used guitar from your local music store or when Guitar Center runs a deal (which they do often). If I can get a legit SG G400 for $160 I'm sure anybody can. After playing it I don't think I'd be happy with less. I'd rather have a used guitar that's a bit dinged/scratched than a knock-off that's brand new and doesn't play well.

I also got a used Mustang I V2 amp for $70.

But it's your money.

zbarron

As I said, I think you'd be happier just waiting until you have enough money to buy a decent used guitar from your local music store or when Guitar Center runs a deal (which they do often). If I can get a legit SG G400 for $160 I'm sure anybody can. After playing it I don't think I'd be happy with less. I'd rather have a used guitar that's a bit dinged/scratched than a knock-off that's brand new and doesn't play well.

I also got a used Mustang I V2 amp for $70.

But it's your money.

Nothing saying it won't play well. Most people who have actually tried it said they were pleasantly surprised. Besides inexpensive doesn't automatically mean bad. I really like my $80 acoustic guitar and $55 ukulele. Either way it's too late to cancel it now. It's already shipped and will be here Thursday. As I said it has a 30 day return policy, but I'm not looking for a gigging guitar or anything. Just something to play Rocksmith with and mess around with late at night that won't wake up the family.

How different is playing Rocksmith with an electric compared to your acoustic?

Wag

Nothing saying it won't play well. Most people who have actually tried it said they were pleasantly surprised. Besides inexpensive doesn't automatically mean bad. I really like my $80 acoustic guitar and $55 ukulele. Either way it's too late to cancel it now. It's already shipped and will be here Thursday. As I said it has a 30 day return policy, but I'm not looking for a gigging guitar or anything. Just something to play Rocksmith with and mess around with late at night that won't wake up the family.

How different is playing Rocksmith with an electric compared to your acoustic?

I found it too difficult to play on acoustic (I have a steel string). You can't really get to the higher frets. There are no acoustic tracks anyways so you're better off on electric.

I'm sure a Monoprice guitar is "good enough." There was a time when a really cheap guitar was most likely a piece of crap, but guitar bodies and necks are mass-produced on C&C machines and come from the same factories that make high-quality guitars, but don't see the hands-on detailing or QC as the more-expensive models. You're getting the cheaper woods and basic electronics and hardware, and they might have finish issues, sharp fret ends, etc. I bought a Rondo Strat-shape for $90 and it was perfectly fine, and a more-than-adequate platform for upgrades. I ended up donating it to my daughter's school music department as I picked up better guitars from Craigslist.

zbarron

I'm sure a Monoprice guitar is "good enough." There was a time when a really cheap guitar was most likely a piece of crap, but guitar bodies and necks are mass-produced on C&C machines and come from the same factories that make high-quality guitars, but don't see the hands-on detailing or QC as the more-expensive models. You're getting the cheaper woods and basic electronics and hardware, and they might have finish issues, sharp fret ends, etc. I bought a Rondo Strat-shape for $90 and it was perfectly fine, and a more-than-adequate platform for upgrades. I ended up donating it to my daughter's school music department as I picked up better guitars from Craigslist.
My only concern with using it as a modding platform which was kind of my plan is one of the reviews says it uses non standard parts. Like you couldn't replace the pickguard with a Fender pick guard, and they said the same about the neck. Does anyone know how I can test this once I get it without having a Fender pickguard on hand?

Still if need be I could upgrade the tuners, nut, pickups, electronics, bridge, and use some copper tape to give it some shielding,or whatever it needs. I doubt I'd do all of that, just upgrade the weakest links.
IMO the most important thing in cheap guitars is making sure they stay in tune for a reasonable playing time.
What is considered a reasonable amount of time. I probably tune my guitar and ukulele every other day.

I'm amazed at myself. I set up my own guitar with some cheap supplies from the hardware store. The strings are low, tight and plays amazing!

EVOL 100%

My only concern with using it as a modding platform which was kind of my plan is one of the reviews says it uses non standard parts. Like you couldn't replace the pickguard with a Fender pick guard, and they said the same about the neck. Does anyone know how I can test this once I get it without having a Fender pickguard on hand?

Still if need be I could upgrade the tuners, nut, pickups, electronics, bridge, and use some copper tape to give it some shielding,or whatever it needs. I doubt I'd do all of that, just upgrade the weakest links.

You could print out a Fender strat pickguard template and see if they fit. Not being able to swap out the neck would be a big no no for me though.

I'm amazed at myself. I set up my own guitar with some cheap supplies from the hardware store. The strings are low, tight and plays amazing!

Yeah, setting up your guitar really isn't nearly as difficult as people make it out to be.

Hell, I did it when I was 16 years old and had a bad case of awful hand skills.

zbarron

You could print out a Fender strat pickguard template and see if they fit. Not being able to swap out the neck would be a big no no for me though.

Yeah, setting up your guitar really isn't nearly as difficult as people make it out to be.

Hell, I did it when I was 16 years old and had a bad case of awful hand skills.
Well buying a second guitar is cheaper than a Mighty Mite replacement neck, so even if the parts are non standard I could always do that if something broke. My concern there is if they stop selling this model. Their Tele clone isn't on their site any more and their LP clone is only sold in a bundle currently. I emailed the site asking if the strat will be discontinued or if the others are coming back.

I set up my acoustic the day I got it and that required sanding down the saddle. Electric guitars seem even easier to setup. Everyone should do it.

Edit:Reading more reviews some are saying they are standard. Who knows. I'll have to wait for it to arrive to find out.

Surfinn

Alright.. looking for some opinions here. I'm looking a versatile guitar that can do both single coil and hard humbucking stuff, and after doing some research, I'm looking at these two options:

PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S Series Iron Label

I understand that the Ibanez is geared toward metal, but after doing some research, it looks like it can do a variety of other genres and get lots of different sounds.

I love the S series and have owned one of those (older model) guitars before and loved the way it looked and felt, was very impressed with the sound. But that was years ago.

Is the PRS capable of doing harder stuff? Sounds like it is.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Got a new camera and decided to take some guitar pics. I would fucking love this one of my PRS if it weren't for the dog hair to the right of the body.

I just love looking at this guitar. It is just a work of art. The fact it feels and sounds great is just a bonus. Going to try and get another shot like that without the hair on the ground and the vent in the back, then get one of my J45 and see how much it costs to have those glass pictures made of them. Be cool to hang on the wall by my records.

OMG is that a singlecut 594?!

I AM SO JEALOUS

Fuck no that isn't a 594. I spend too much money on guitars, but I'm not that crazy. It's one of their old Singlecuts from before they had all the various model names, so it's simply called a Singlecut, not an SC245 or SC250 or SC58. It is a fucking fantastic guitar, though I've never played a PRS I didn't like. I put a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge for the heavy ass tones and an Alnico II in the neck for those sweet thick ass leads.

Kind of weird that their only singlecut this year is the 594. They look amazing though.

Nice choice of pick-ups, however I do really love how the 58/15's sound on the 594.

The three way switch at the top as well as the 2 tone/2 volume knobs on yours made me believe it was a 594. Man, i'd almost pick this one up over a LP if given a choice.

Nice choice of pick-ups, however I do really love how the 58/15's sound on the 594.

The three way switch at the top as well as the 2 tone/2 volume knobs on yours made me believe it was a 594. Man, i'd almost pick this one up over a LP if given a choice.

The only Singlecuts I'm aware of that don't have the switch there and 2 tone/2 volumes is the Singlecut Trem. Even the original 2000 models were like that. Mine is a 2002, which seems crazy to me. I remember when they first appeared and going through the whole lawsuit, so it's crazy to think that guitar is 15 years old now.

They are my favorite guitars. I always wanted a Les Paul growing up, but as soon as I played a PRS SC, I was hooked. Not that Gibson doesn't make great stuff too (my acoustic is a Gibson J45), but I just fucking love PRS guitars. They feel like perfection in my hands.

I want to get either an SC58 or a later model SC245 when they switched to two piece bridges next, and I'll keep the stock pickups in that one. They make great sounding pickups, but I needed something heavier than the stock pickups more vintage tone (I do still have the original pickups, though). An Alnico II in the neck has always been my favorite tone.

Ernest

Banned
Here are my electric guitars.
I've had many other guitars, but these are my favorites that have stuck around.

zsmcKqh.jpg

Guess I'm a Gibson guy...

I also have two Taylor acoustics not pictured. And for the record, I "lucked" into a lot of these guitars, either during the early days of ebay, lucky guitar shop finds or connections to people in the industry, selling them to me at cost.

Nice Goldtop. That was literally my dream guitar for years in highschool, which is kind of weird since I was completely a metal guy back then. But, I've always loved them with P90s.

My second acoustic will be a Taylor someday. We visited the factory when we went to California last summer and I played the best acoustic guitar ever while there. It was just some all mahogany super tiny body thing, and I fucking loved it. Now I need one.

I think that's an SG Faded, but it looks like modern ones don't have those inlays. Weird. Reading online it seems they only used the moons for the first year. Never knew they stopped. Only ones I've ever seen had them, though I probably just haven't paid enough attention.

Ernest

Banned
Yeah, it's a faded, with some nice visible wood-grain. Those moon-inlays were limited for that one production run.

It didn't play too great out of the box, but after my guitar tech did a thorough set up, it played like a dream. Same story with almost all Gibsons, actually.

Top Bottom