• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

I'm a few days away from pulling the trigger on an Ibanez S Series Iron Label after doing some extensive reviews/research. Any objections? Good choice?

I've never been a big Ibanez fan, but I've also only played their sub $500 stuff, and it has been years. If possible, I'd go to a guitar store and try one. It looks cool, that's for sure. I'd at least go try the PRS SE you posted earlier. Pretty much any guitar center should have those, and maybe some other Ibanez's if not the same model.

Surfinn

I've never been a big Ibanez fan, but I've also only played their sub $500 stuff, and it has been years. If possible, I'd go to a guitar store and try one. It looks cool, that's for sure. I'd at least go try the PRS SE you posted earlier. Pretty much any guitar center should have those, and maybe some other Ibanez's if not the same model.

Thanks for the advice. The reason why I'm so confident is that I've owned an S series guitar before and loved it but sold it because I didn't realize how much work it was changing strings/tuning with a tremolo system. Had some issues with strings slipping out of the bridge, stuff like that. Plus I never use the whammy bar.

I really should try a PRS though.

Any update on your DIY guitar? I would love to make my own some day, so I'm curious your experience with the kit.

I was sick when I got the kit so I didn't start right away. I just finished sanding the body and neck. I put masking tape on the fretboard and cavities. The neck fit snuggly into the body, so I taped off the neck pocket and the bottom of the neck - that way no paint gets in there and changes the thickness of the pocket/neck. I'll prime it today. Wait 24 hours or so, then sand it down again before the first coat of color. I also changed the nut, cuz it was crappy. I've also been scouring eBay and other sites for pickups, tuners, bridge, pots, nobs - everything. The hardware that comes with the kit is just pure crap unfortunately. Plus it's all silver and I want all black hardware. I almost have all the replacement parts.

I'm not in a big hurry. In fact it's been a bit too cold for spray painting, but I'm gonna spray outside (when it's warmish) and quickly bring the parts inside to dry at room temp. I'm using coat hangers to hang them when I spray and so I can carry them around. I want to take my time and do it right. I'll continue to update.

NBerRf3.jpg

I'm a few days away from pulling the trigger on an Ibanez S Series Iron Label after doing some extensive reviews/research. Any objections? Good choice?

The Iron Labels are sweet. But I think they're too expensive. At that price point you can basically get a Japan-built Prestige model. The Iron Label is like Ibanez's highest end of their "B" tier models - the guitars that are made at the Indonesian factory. (The lowest end Ibanez Gios are built in China). The Indonesian factory is very good, but nowhere near as good as the Japanese Ibanez models (Prestige, J-Custom). The Indonesian factory focuses on the "affordable" Ibanez models like the RG350, RG450, JEM JR. (Steve Vai budget model), etc. The Iron Label is Indonesia's most expensive model. But at $900+ you are better off looking into the Japanese models, which have better wood, necks, electronics and overall craftsmanship.

Surfinn

The Iron Labels are sweet. But I think they're too expensive. At that price point you can basically get a Japan-built Prestige model. The Iron Label is like Ibanez's highest end of their "B" tier models - the guitars that are made at the Indonesian factory. (The lowest end Ibanez Gios are built in China). The Indonesian factory is very good, but nowhere near as good as the Japanese Ibanez models (Prestige, J-Custom). The Indonesian factory focuses on the "affordable" Ibanez models like the RG350, RG450, JEM JR. (Steve Vai budget model), etc. The Iron Label is Indonesia's most expensive model. But at $900+ you are better off looking into the Japanese models, which have better wood, necks, electronics and overall craftsmanship.

Thanks for this info. The biggest reason why I want to spend a little extra on this guitar is because, as far as I've been able to tell, there's not a comparable S Series guitar in that price range. When I search in the prestige line, the lowest price point I see is $1500, or $600 more than the Iron Label line. I really love the look and feel of the S Series and the reviews I've seen have offered lots of praise for them. I wish there were more options that had a fixed bridge. I really enjoy the natural look of the body in the S series and how light they are. Plus I love the single coil switch.

From the info I've gathered, this guitar has more of the features I'm looking for.

Do you have any specific suggestions as alternatives? Thanks again.

I'm assuming it's given that I should order a hard case for shipping?

Thanks for this info. The biggest reason why I want to spend a little extra on this guitar is because, as far as I've been able to tell, there's not a comparable S Series guitar in that price range. When I search in the prestige line, the lowest price point I see is $1500, or $600 more than the Iron Label line. I really love the look and feel of the S Series and the reviews I've seen have offered lots of praise for them. I wish there were more options that had a fixed bridge. I really enjoy the natural look of the body in the S series and how light they are. Plus I love the single coil switch.

From the info I've gathered, this guitar has more of the features I'm looking for.

Do you have any specific suggestions as alternatives? Thanks again.

I'm assuming it's given that I should order a hard case for shipping?

Yeah unfortunately the S series is limited when it comes to the price range and choice. But I hear ya on the sleek body. I have an old school Ibanez Pro540R - the predecessor to the S series - and I love how it's super light.

If I were you I would buy an S series Iron Label used, not new. The thing with Iron Label is that they don't retain their value like the Prestige models, so they are very reasonable in the used market $400-$600, and most are in great condition cuz it's a relatively new model. To be honest, the Indonesian factory makes incredibly solid guitars and Ibanez has been entrusting them with higher end models lately.

As long as the packaging is done correctly you shouldn't really have to buy a case for it. I've had plenty of guitars sent to me case-less and they've been fine. As long as they're shipped in a proper "guitar box" for shipping, like a Sweetwater or Guitar Center box, it should be fine.

What is the difference between the RG and S series?

Basically the body shape. The RG is more angular and is modeled after the traditional Super Strat. It's Ibanez's most popular line. Usually in humbucker-humbucker configuration or Humbucker-Single-Humbucker. They also come with or without a pick guard.

The S model is lighter smoother, rounder, thinner and sleeker overall. It's basically a Joe Satriani model that became its own line. They usually come in Humbucker-Single-Single config or HSH. The output jack is in the front. No pick guard option. It's a little less heavy metal than the RG.

And to think I was going to just reply 'pointy-ness' without doing any research whatsoever.

I have a Yamaha RG knockoff from the early '90s. Neck is too thin for me to play but I keep it for sentimental reasons. Perhaps I will pass it on to a child down the road.

zbarron

The kid won't even have to be that old. Children naturally love to make music.
32785704885_bd5abf9889_z.jpg
32405547010_f3594e5b5f_z.jpg

And this is why I love owning cheap instruments.

Surfinn

Yeah unfortunately the S series is limited when it comes to the price range and choice. But I hear ya on the sleek body. I have an old school Ibanez Pro540R - the predecessor to the S series - and I love how it's super light.

If I were you I would buy an S series Iron Label used, not new. The thing with Iron Label is that they don't retain their value like the Prestige models, so they are very reasonable in the used market $400-$600, and most are in great condition cuz it's a relatively new model. To be honest, the Indonesian factory makes incredibly solid guitars and Ibanez has been entrusting them with higher end models lately.

As long as the packaging is done correctly you shouldn't really have to buy a case for it. I've had plenty of guitars sent to me case-less and they've been fine. As long as they're shipped in a proper "guitar box" for shipping, like a Sweetwater or Guitar Center box, it should be fine.

Thanks. I know others consider it money wasted, and I do see some used ones for a few hundred dollars less, but I've had some bad luck with used gear in the past. I kinda like the idea that if something goes wrong Sweetwater will help me out. And I know the guitar will most likely be set up correctly. Money isn't right right now so I don't really mind paying extra.

The kid won't even have to be that old. Children naturally love to make music.
32785704885_bd5abf9889_z.jpg
32405547010_f3594e5b5f_z.jpg

And this is why I love owning cheap instruments.
Cute.

zbarron

You can tell from his(?) face that he'd rather hold a Martin :p

He can deal with it. If he banged on a Martin or Taylor the way he bangs on my Jasmine, I'd have an anxiety attack. With this worst I'm out is $70 which is an easy replacement, and it lets me be cool as a cucumber so I can share it and we'll jam together. Lately though he's been more of a percussion kid.

I'm going to have to put my guitars in their fucking cases, aren't I?

My childhood guitar teacher's kid poured milk in his acoustic's sound hole. Slosh slosh slosh.

zbarron

I'm going to have to put my guitars in their fucking cases, aren't I?

My childhood guitar teacher's kid poured milk in his acoustic's sound hole. Slosh slosh slosh.

Mine hang from wall hangers mostly out of his reach. Milk sounds awful. Worst I've had is crushed up crackers.

Thanks. I know others consider it money wasted, and I do see some used ones for a few hundred dollars less, but I've had some bad luck with used gear in the past. I kinda like the idea that if something goes wrong Sweetwater will help me out. And I know the guitar will most likely be set up correctly. Money isn't right right now so I don't really mind paying extra.

I'm a pretty big fan of used gear. If the choice is between a new lower end model versus a used higher end model, I'll go used higher end always. I mean, the moment it gets to your hands, it's no longer new any way.

I got my PRS Singlecut used from Guitar Centers website, no issues. I don't know that you are really any less likely to need a setup with a new guitar. It has still probably been sitting in a warehouse waiting to sell for who knows how many months, and then it's going to sit on a UPS truck, possibly even a flight, to find its way to your house. I pretty much always bring in a new guitar for a setup.

Surfinn

I'm a pretty big fan of used gear. If the choice is between a new lower end model versus a used higher end model, I'll go used higher end always. I mean, the moment it gets to your hands, it's no longer new any way.

I got my PRS Singlecut used from Guitar Centers website, no issues. I don't know that you are really any less likely to need a setup with a new guitar. It has still probably been sitting in a warehouse waiting to sell for who knows how many months, and then it's going to sit on a UPS truck, possibly even a flight, to find its way to your house. I pretty much always bring in a new guitar for a setup.

True, from what I've seen with Sweetwater though (judging from reviews), their guitars are pretty well set up, assuming something bad doesn't happen during shipping.

Maybe I'll see if I can find something on Reverb though. Used is definitely a better deal.

Formless

I just chipped my Strat and un-glossed some of the finish trying to repair it, urgh. Guess it has character but still.

Wag

Just curious, what's the difference between my Epiphone SG G400 and a G400 Goth? They appear to have different pickups but other than that I can't tell. They're going for the same price used.

I'm really digging my SG G400.

Just curious, what's the difference between my Epiphone SG G400 and a G400 Goth? They appear to have different pickups but other than that I can't tell. They're going for the same price used.

I'm really digging my SG G400.

According to Epiphone's site the specs are identical. Looks like it's just a paint job difference and those Goth touches like the cross on the headstock. The G400 has covered pickups but the Goth has them uncovered, but same pickups. The covers give humbuckers a warm "classic" sound whereas uncovered leans more to screaming metal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thanks for the advice. The reason why I'm so confident is that I've owned an S series guitar before and loved it but sold it because I didn't realize how much work it was changing strings/tuning with a tremolo system. Had some issues with strings slipping out of the bridge, stuff like that. Plus I never use the whammy bar.

I really should try a PRS though.

I've got a PRS for sale in your price range! (the 1996 CE-22 I was talking about a bit ago)

You might find the holoflake blue to be a bit gaudy though, although I personally never saw it that way, especially if you just play it at home. It's not a hardtail though, but its also not a locking trem, either, so string changes, etc. are no big deal.

zbarron

Well the strat came this morning. Out of the box it was setup and playable. I added a little relief to the neck and raised the action of some of the strings. When I play with my fingers and not a pick I play hard and there is sometimes some buzzing. I solved this. The neck appears straight. The fretboard was covered in dust so I'm thinking I should probably change these strings next chance I get. What do you all recommend for a strat? I haven't checked intonation yet. Some initial thoughts:
○I t's heavier than i thought it'd be. While it's smaller than my acoustic it's much heavier.
○ Barre chords are easy on this thing.
○ I can barely tell any difference when I use the Tone Knobs
○ I don't think two sheets of protective plastic wrap on the pick guard was necessary.
○ This thing is sexy
○ What's the white wire in the back cavity for? Grounding?
○ Babies and Tremolo arms don't mix. How easy is it to break the guitar by pressing too hard on it?
○ It sounds great acoustically and is way louder than I imagined. I was planning on getting a headphone amp but I don't really understand the point of them now if you can just play acoustically.

I recorded a sound sample to give an idea of the sound. Not sure if this is very helpful since it's running straight through the guitar into Audacity and not a mic'd amp. Also forgive the poor playing. This was essentially my first time on an electric guitar and I didn't feel like doing more than one take. You can notice the mistakes, they get bad in the second half. oh well.

Here are some pictures:
32806194515_4037bf9c24_b.jpg

I had trouble finding pictures of the back online:
31963275194_e6817e1341_b.jpg

Shiny (when not covered in fingerprints)
32806199275_26ddffc40a_b.jpg

The cavity is really open so I could easily drop in a pickguard with humbuckers if I wanted:
31963277474_592ff07ee6_b.jpg

Wiring and shielding:
32806205595_dec063a54d_b.jpg

I haven't had much experience with electric guitars but this is shockingly nice for $70. I really recommend it to anyone here even if you end up using it as a spare, beater, or modding platform. It's $70 for a guitar. I spoke with a Monoprice rep and they said these are being discontinued and some time in the future they will have new models in but he wasn't told what style.

Surfinn

That's the nicest looking $70 guitar I've ever seen, lol. Nice.

I've got a PRS for sale in your price range! (the 1996 CE-22 I was talking about a bit ago)

You might find the holoflake blue to be a bit gaudy though, although I personally never saw it that way, especially if you just play it at home. It's not a hardtail though, but its also not a locking trem, either, so string changes, etc. are no big deal.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to get the Iron Label Ibanez. From what I'm seeing the fretboard/neck is going to be better suited for me since I have small/skinny fingers. I already struggle with my SG Special after an hour or so of playing. It's just too big/thick.

[tone knobs/arms/whitewire]

Typically the middle knob is wired to be a tone control for the neck pickup and the third knob is variously wired to be tone control for: middle pickup, bridge pickup, or both. It should be a fairly dramatic drop in treble frequencies when playing through an affected pickup, so if not, check out the wiring.

The wire into the vibrato spring cavity is indeed for grounding— it provides conductivity to the bridge and then the strings.

Worst that will happen with the vibrato arm being assaulted by a kid is that it is likely made of cheap pot metal and will snap off leaving the threaded piece inside the guitar. So not a great outcome, but you'll still have a functional guitar.

For strings— it is likely to have come with a set of .009-whatevers, so if it's too slinky for you put 0.010s or .011s on it. You will probably have to redo the setup.

Wag

According to Epiphone's site the specs are identical. Looks like it's just a paint job difference and those Goth touches like the cross on the headstock. The G400 has covered pickups but the Goth has them uncovered, but same pickups. The covers give humbuckers a warm "classic" sound whereas uncovered leans more to screaming metal.

Thanks. I guess for blues I'm better off with my SG G400 then.

It's funny how seeing someone play a song you don't like and/or learning a song can make you like the song more. Never been a big fan of Wherever I May Roam (Metallica, duh...). Always been on of my least favorite songs off the black album. But, I learned it for a friend who likes it today. Man, it's fucking fun to play.

Kind of covers a lot of the signature black album ground. Big slow riffs, then double time it, cool quick connecting riffs, big power chords with some chugging to make it sound cool, and a fun interlude that is a tweak on the main riff with some harmonies thrown in. Just, kind of fucking fun with all the subtly changing parts. One of those songs that isn't hard, but there is more to it than you think when you just listen to it.

Every time I learn something from that album, I'm always amazed at how much is really going on for as simple as the arrangements kind of appear. Like, with Sad But True and the key changes. I'm kind of tone deaf, so I never realized it until I learned it. Cool shit.

I haven't had much experience with electric guitars but this is shockingly nice for $70. I really recommend it to anyone here even if you end up using it as a spare, beater, or modding platform. It's $70 for a guitar. I spoke with a Monoprice rep and they said these are being discontinued and some time in the future they will have new models in but he wasn't told what style.

Very nice man. I'm amazed that's $70. Nice finish, smooth maple back neck and looks like a dead-on copy of the Fender tremolo bridge. Might have to pick one up! lol!

I just scored a new guitar today - for $200 - total eBay impulse buy. A Vintage VS6MRCR. This is my 2nd Vintage brand guitar (1st one = Post#315). It's a Gibson SG copy that has a factory "distressed" road worn look, down to the "corroded" hardware. It's the "Icon" series of the regular Vintage VS6. Came with a pristine hardcase and free shipping! Vintage is fairly common in the UK, since it's a UK company, but you rarely see them here in the US so I jumped on it. Like I always say - $200 goes a long way in the used guitar market! It sounds and plays amazing. Been rockin' AC/DC and Sabbath!

Nice guitar!

Thanks!

Think you are grossly overselling the difference. Magnet type and strength and wire size and quantity affect a pickup' sound in much much bigger ways.

I was talking about in the case of the same pickup, covered or uncovered. Which is the case with the SG400 (covered) and Goth400 (uncovered), but exactly the same pickup.
Of course different pickups have different sounds.
I mean yeah, I'm kinda generalizing for the sake of simple explanation, but people remove their humbucker covers usually to get a hotter sound, while people install humbucker covers to create a warmer tone (and of course there are even further sound differentiations on whether you use metal covers, wood, etc.).

I was talking about in the case of the same pickup, covered or uncovered.

I know. I felt you were making it sound like there was a big difference when there isn't. Cover/no-cover is slightly warmer/brighter, but it's not going to make your PAF sound like a 15kΩ ceramic magnet death metal machine or vice-versa. For real differences with the same pickups change your volume pots and tone cap values.

Here's a demo from Bare Knuckle. I don't hear a difference that I wouldn't forget about really quickly or that would stop me from picking whichever option looked the best.

people remove their humbucker covers usually to get a hotter sound

And people buy pickups with cloth-wrapped wire for 'that vintage tone' (I am truly aping actual marketing material from Fender from 15 years ago)— guitarists do many things with no basis in fact but instead in voodoo and/or confirmation bias.

zbarron

That's the nicest looking $70 guitar I've ever seen, lol. Nice.
Thanks. It's a beaut.
Typically the middle knob is wired to be a tone control for the neck pickup and the third knob is variously wired to be tone control for: middle pickup, bridge pickup, or both. It should be a fairly dramatic drop in treble frequencies when playing through an affected pickup, so if not, check out the wiring.

The wire into the vibrato spring cavity is indeed for grounding— it provides conductivity to the bridge and then the strings.

Worst that will happen with the vibrato arm being assaulted by a kid is that it is likely made of cheap pot metal and will snap off leaving the threaded piece inside the guitar. So not a great outcome, but you'll still have a functional guitar.

For strings— it is likely to have come with a set of .009-whatevers, so if it's too slinky for you put 0.010s or .011s on it. You will probably have to redo the setup.
I can hear a very small difference. It's there but minor. I wonder if I was connected to a real amp if it would be more dramatic.

I thought as much. Thanks

Gotcha. I'll relax more about it. Still not sure if the tremolo is staying on or off.

I'll try 10's next and see what I think.
Very nice man. I'm amazed that's $70. Nice finish, smooth maple back neck and looks like a dead-on copy of the Fender tremolo bridge. Might have to pick one up! lol!
Well as I said they're being discontinued. If you want it I'd jump on it today. Though I see you just got a new guitar and are working on your DIY project. How many guitars do you have at this point?

Today only they have a $5 off $25 coupon code and a $20 off $100 coupon code on their front page. I'm sure you could find $30.01 worth of stuff on the site to bring it to $100 if you wanted.

Playing electric makes me realize that I never mute my strings. Any advice or tips on a good way to do it? Every way I try feels awkward.

I know. I felt you were making it sound like there was a big difference when there isn't. Cover/no-cover is slightly warmer/brighter, but it's not going to make your PAF sound like a 15kΩ ceramic magnet death metal machine or vice-versa. For real differences with the same pickups change your volume pots and tone cap values.

Here's a demo from Bare Knuckle. I don't hear a difference that I wouldn't forget about really quickly or that would stop me from picking whichever option looked the best.

And people buy pickups with cloth-wrapped wire for 'that vintage tone' (I am truly aping actual marketing material from Fender from 15 years ago)— guitarists do many things with no basis in fact but instead in voodoo and/or confirmation bias.

Oh I agree, there's a lot of "tone voodoo". I believe most people buy guitars based on looks and convince themselves that they sound good. Same thing goes for mods.

How many guitars do you have at this point?

8 electric
1 DIY project
1 bass
1 acoustic

Yeah, I'm gonna have to chill a bit. My wife was not happy about the SG! LOL!

I can hear a very small difference. It's there but minor. I wonder if I was connected to a real amp if it would be more dramatic.

All the way on vs all the way off has been very stark on all the Strats I've played. EDIT: Here's a quick demo with my Strat, which has tone controls for the neck and bridge. First clip is through an amp sim, then it's the same thing again with no amp sim and the raw signal boosted by 10dB.

Put your vibrato arm in the case or on the shelf when you don't need it.

Playing electric makes me realize that I never mute my strings. Any advice or tips on a good way to do it? Every way I try feels awkward.

Do you mean preventing unwanted strings from ringing or damping the strings?

With your fretting hand just touch strings you don't want to ring; when you want to cut a note or chord off, lift up your fingers so the strings come off the frets but your fingers are still touching them.

On the picking hand you can lay the base of your palm on the bridge a tiny fraction towards the neck from the saddles— this is used for various rhythm styles and doesn't silence the strings.

If finger picking rest your currently unused fingers on their unwanted strings to prevent them from ringing.

zbarron

Yeah, I'm gonna have to chill a bit. My wife was not happy about the SG! LOL!
I understand that. When I was trying to buy the SG Special my wife asked how many instruments I need. I told her the guy selling me it has 25 guitars so it could be worse.
All the way on vs all the way off has been very stark on all the Strats I've played. EDIT: Here's a quick demo with my Strat, which has tone controls for the neck and bridge. First clip is through an amp sim, then it's the same thing again with no amp sim and the raw signal boosted by 10dB.

Put your vibrato arm in the case or on the shelf when you don't need it.

Do you mean preventing unwanted strings from ringing or damping the strings?

With your fretting hand just touch strings you don't want to ring; when you want to cut a note or chord off, lift up your fingers so the strings come off the frets but your fingers are still touching them.

On the picking hand you can lay the base of your palm on the bridge a tiny fraction towards the neck from the saddles— this is used for various rhythm styles and doesn't silence the strings.

If finger picking rest your currently unused fingers on their unwanted strings to prevent them from ridinginging.
It might also be I'm testing it with single notes since I can't play nearly as well as you.

Yeah that sounds good.

I'm trying to prevent the other strings from ringing. It is worst with power chords. Take a5 in the XO22XX position. I was skipping the E string and playing the next three before stopping right before the B string. That's not how you're supposed to do it I'm guessing. Are you muting with you index finger and pinky? Do you do the same with c5 but skip the first string or lean on it?

What about an open D? O you skip the first two or mute them? This is my problem with learning online. It's hard to tell.

Partner has been pretty supportive, though she has a very good idea of what I actually need in terms of guitars and amps and would probably and justifiably give me a lot of ribbing for buying anything else with two humbuckers or another combo amplifier.

I'm trying to prevent the other strings from ringing. It is worst with power chords. Take a5 in the XO22XX position.[...]That's not how you're supposed to do it I'm guessing.

OK, this is written without a guitar at hand; further more I almost never play with a pick, so I reserve the right to call myself out in the future if I remember to grab a guitar and a pick and decide I'm full of shit:

For power chords I think I almost always palm-mute (base of palm at bridge). I think I also touch unwanted strings with parts of my fretting hand— including using my thumb to mute the sixth string. I also only strum the strings I want, but if you don't mute you will get sympathetic vibrations in the other strings when they are the same note as either the fundamental or overtones of the strings you are playing. This is not a good or bad thing— it depends on what you want.

Here's the thing with hitting the open E in your A5 power-chord: the low E is a perfectly good note in in an A5 chord— since it's the fifth. Moving up to C5 and hitting the low E may or may not be bad— because E is the major third (which isn't present in the C5). If the key of the song suggests that C5 actually be Cm then hitting the low E is bad bad bad.

What about an open D? O you skip the first two or mute them? This is my problem with learning online. It's hard to tell.

I play all six strings for an open-D— 200232 in your notation. The sixth string is fretted with my thumb. I simply wouldn't worry about the fifth and sixth strings and just strum the other four, though if you can reach around to mute the sixth string with your thumb but not quite fret it, go for it.

In short— I generally don't worry about muting strings that are in the key of the song/fit the chord unless it's a poor stylistic choice. If a particular chord voicing can't be muted for the style, I use a different voicing (fingering).

zbarron

Thanks for all the information. That really clears a lot up.

I went to my local guitar shop this evening to get some replacement strings. While I was there I tried out an amp I've had my eye on,the Orange Crush Pix CR12L. I played this guitar on it:
http://themusicfarm.com/store/guita...tratocaster-electric-guitar-rw-wopl-6288.html

This guitar felt just as nice as mine but the tuners are definitely nicer. Strangely it was much quiter played acoustically. I wonder if that large routing space inside mine almost acts as a semi hollow body. Out of the amp however it sounded noticeably better than my guitar through my PC. The only problem is figuring out how much of that is the amp, and how much is the guitar. Also the room's acoustics need to be accounted for.

How is that amp? Is there a better one in the sub $100 range? I just need it to be loud enough for a bedroom.

I got 10s. It's definitely what this guitar came with. The Fender's strings felt ridiculously slinky compared to mine so I'll assume they're 9s.

Edit: Just got my new strings on. They feel less slinky than the Strat but more than the Monoprice stock strings. I am starting to think that it was strung with 11s and it makes sense considering those are the only ones they sell.
https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pr...categoryid=11501&subcategoryid=1150103&cpncd=

Looks I'll probably have to redo my setup.

I went to my local guitar shop this evening to get some replacement strings. While I was there I tried out an amp I've had my eye on,the Orange Crush Pix CR12L. I played this guitar on it:
http://themusicfarm.com/store/guita...tratocaster-electric-guitar-rw-wopl-6288.html

This guitar felt just as nice as mine but the tuners are definitely nicer. Strangely it was much quiter played acoustically. I wonder if that large routing space inside mine almost acts as a semi hollow body. Out of the amp however it sounded noticeably better than my guitar through my PC. The only problem is figuring out how much of that is the amp, and how much is the guitar. Also the room's acoustics need to be accounted for.

How is that amp? Is there a better one in the sub $100 range? I just need it to be loud enough for a bedroom.

I got 10s. It's definitely what this guitar came with. The Fender's strings felt ridiculously slinky compared to mine so I'll assume they're 9s.

Unless you have an actual semi-hollow body, the body/shape of a solid electric guitar rarely do much for the overall sound. People also talk about wood quality and such, and yes the body/bridge/neck has a lot to do with a guitar's sustain quality, but it really comes down to the pickups when you talk about the tone of electric guitars.

The Orange Crush seems to be reliable and very popular. I've always played 9s.

zbarron

Unless you have an actual semi-hollow body, the body/shape of a solid electric guitar rarely do much for the overall sound. People also talk about wood quality and such, and yes the body/bridge/neck has a lot to do with a guitar's sustain quality, but it really comes down to the pickups when you talk about the tone of electric guitars.

The Orange Crush seems to be reliable and very popular. I've always played 9s.
I agree about the tone. I was talking about how it sounds when you play it unplugged. With that the pickups are bypassed. I was wondering if because there is a cavity under the pick guard roughly where the sound hole is on an acoustic if there are some vibrations in that space the same way an acoustic guitar does and that makes it louder when played unplugged. The sound is loudest under the back plate which is connected to that cavity.

For the bedroom, I use a Behringer vAMP3 through my PC line in and out the computer speakers or out directly from the vAMP to headphones. Either way lets you jam along with other music in the proper configuration. The vAMP is $100 new and is basically a preamp before going into your computer. It has plenty to offer as far as tones and effects for $100. There may be better alternatives though. I bought mine while in Iraq 7 years ago because it was the best option for me at the time.

If you are actually wanting an amp, the Roland Cubes sound good. But from what I've heard from the Blackstar ID Core series though, if I were you, I'd try one of those. The smallest is $99.

I agree about the tone. I was talking about how it sounds when you play it unplugged. With that the pickups are bypassed. I was wondering if because there is a cavity under the pick guard roughly where the sound hole is on an acoustic if there are some vibrations in that space the same way an acoustic guitar does and that makes it louder when played unplugged. The sound is loudest under the back plate which is connected to that cavity.

Ah I see. Interesting. Stuff something in there like tissue and see if it sounds the same.

Wag

I've been fooling around with my SG in Rocksmith and it's missing too many notes. The guitar sounds a bit off to me anyways. How to I adjust an electric? Someone mentioned adjusting intonation- how do I go about doing that? Anything else I should do?

I took it into a local music shop and they said it was good, but it still sounds a bit off to me. I already restrung it, but it was shipped a long distance.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can somebody post some good solos to learn? I've been dabbling in different instruments for years, and basically just played rhythm guitar and a handful of lead stuff, but nothing serious outside of a few different scales. Just learned the solo to "you only live once" by the strokes, which I felt was a good primer. I know a few other basic solos, but what are some more fun ones that can help broaden my playing style?

Someone mentioned adjusting intonation- how do I go about doing that? Anything else I should do?

In playing position, tune the guitar perfectly. Keep the tuner attached and on. Play an open string— it's in tune, right? Now, fret the string at the 12th fret— is it in tune, sharp or flat? If it's flat then you need to move that string's saddle towards the neck. If it's sharp, you need to move it away from the neck. You may need to loosen the string to get the saddle to move. Repeat for each string and make sure your guitar is completely in tune when you check.

Intonation is the last thing to adjust when setting up a guitar— string choice, truss rod, action, etc all affect it.

Can somebody post some good solos to learn? I've been dabbling in different instruments for years, and basically just played rhythm guitar and a handful of lead stuff, but nothing serious outside of a few different scales. Just learned the solo to "you only live once" by the strokes, which I felt was a good primer. I know a few other basic solos, but what are some more fun ones that can help broaden my playing style?

I'm not much of a lead guy, either, so I'm going to bet anything I can do, you can do. I'm currently working on All Along the Watchtower. It's fucking fun as shit, and a good challenge for someone who sucks at bending, like myself. I'm honestly not a big Hendrix guy, but the way he uses bends is just crazy. Such rapid fire bending a single note up and up and up.

One of the first big solos I learned was Comfortably Numb. Also super fun. It's pretty much just straight pentatonic scale broken up into very clear and distinct sections, so it's a good one to spend a couple of weeks with learning piece by piece. It's also a popular enough song that there are plenty of good youtube lessons out there for it.

If you're a Metallica fan, Nothing Else Matters, the first solos of Fade to Black and Sanitarium, and The Unforgiven are all pretty easy.

If you are a slow learner like me, I'll throw out a suggestion for a program called riffmaster pro. It can slow songs down without fucking the pitch, or adjust the pitch without fucking the tempo (comes in handy for All Along the Watchtower which is half a step down and I don't feel like tuning my guitar). You can also just highlight a section of the song to have it loop, which comes in handy when you just want to hear/practice one part over and over. The downside is that it's 50 bucks. But, it has been an invaluable tool for me. Maybe others know of a better/cheaper solution. Here's a link if interested, though.

kid charlemagne by steely dan

not as hard as it seems

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm not much of a lead guy, either, so I'm going to bet anything I can do, you can do. I'm currently working on All Along the Watchtower. It's fucking fun as shit, and a good challenge for someone who sucks at bending, like myself. I'm honestly not a big Hendrix guy, but the way he uses bends is just crazy. Such rapid fire bending a single note up and up and up.

One of the first big solos I learned was Comfortably Numb. Also super fun. It's pretty much just straight pentatonic scale broken up into very clear and distinct sections, so it's a good one to spend a couple of weeks with learning piece by piece. It's also a popular enough song that there are plenty of good youtube lessons out there for it.

If you're a Metallica fan, Nothing Else Matters, the first solos of Fade to Black and Sanitarium, and The Unforgiven are all pretty easy.

If you are a slow learner like me, I'll throw out a suggestion for a program called riffmaster pro. It can slow songs down without fucking the pitch, or adjust the pitch without fucking the tempo (comes in handy for All Along the Watchtower which is half a step down and I don't feel like tuning my guitar). You can also just highlight a section of the song to have it loop, which comes in handy when you just want to hear/practice one part over and over. The downside is that it's 50 bucks. But, it has been an invaluable tool for me. Maybe others know of a better/cheaper solution. Here's a link if interested, though.

kid charlemagne by steely dan

not as hard as it seems

Thanks guys! I'm gonna give this a shot. I've looked into something like riffmaster before, might have to pick it up

Top Bottom