• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Foshy

Calibration is weird, still haven't found the right setting yet. Feels slightly off no matter what I do.

Is there a way to enable Hyperspeed or is that completly gone?

I envy you guys that can play advanced or expert. Damn this game is hard, previous Guitar Hero games onwas pretty good with expert, with this? Yeah, I can't even do advanced.

I was the same, expert on earlier GH titles and doing crap on this, then I tried it on advanced and managed 3 stars, went back did it again and managed 4. Seemed to kick my brain into gear a bit. Think I'm ditching regular and just playing through on advanced, it's weird some really hard parts and muscle memory kicks in from old and takes over.

Not very happy with the playlist in Live. Only a few stand out tunes so far.

Dutch GAFers, has this been spotted in the wild yet? Am kinda hoping retailers will start selling early because waiting another day takes foreverrrrrr.

Well, there's only an Intertoys where I live so I buy pretty much everything online. I did notice prices on Nedgame and Bol.com suddenly went up €10.

So what was the verdict/outcome with the calibration and dropped downstrums? I just thought it was a calibration issue, was it ever confirmed it was dropping strums? Was it fixed?

mackattk

I played the Avenged Sevenfold premium show last night.. It was actually pretty awesome. I am not a huge fan of the band, but would love to see more live concerts like that in the future.

On a side note, those bar + black chords are killing me. Having my pointer finger push down both buttons, and having my middle finger arcing over the white button to get to the black is incredibly hard for me... and then it goes down to the next one and I literally can't do it with my middle finger on the bar, and ring finger on the black. My hands don't work that way.

So what was the verdict/outcome with the calibration and dropped downstrums? I just thought it was a calibration issue, was it ever confirmed it was dropping strums? Was it fixed?

I don't think there has been a verdict yet, though I've read some speculation it may have to do with bluetooth interference. My strumming smoothed out most of yesterday, but I've encountered some small drops here and there. Even though its annoying, I've found myself able to look past it because I've been enjoying this game so much.

I just wish I could decide whether or not to wait it out and keep playing or try to exchange my controller for another at the store I got it at.

Raven77

So with all the new buttons is it closer to playing an actual guitar or is it just random finger positioning requirements without any consideration for where the chord would be played on a real guitar?

FenDozer

I have been very impressed with this game so far. The Live portion is a lot of fun & really pulls me into the experience while playing. I don't necessarily see the actual faces and reactions of people while I'm playing (because I'm so focused on the highway) but I do at least feel the energy.

As for GHTV, this is the evolution of music game DLC framework. I can play any of the DLC songs when I choose (if I really want then I can pay for them, but I've never come close to have to pay to play a song). Otherwise, I have this awesome music channel that introduces new songs and always puts me in a competitive match.

My only complaint -- two channels at a time is not nearly enough in GHTV. Last night was indie & heavy metal. My wife wasn't really interested in any and I wish there was a third option. Some of the channels coming later at night would have been more interesting to her. Either way, I'll try to bring her back on board when a new channel comes up!

mackattk

I have been very impressed with this game so far. The Live portion is a lot of fun & really pulls me into the experience while playing. I don't necessarily see the actual faces and reactions of people while I'm playing (because I'm so focused on the highway) but I do at least feel the energy.

As for GHTV, this is the evolution of music game DLC framework. I can play any of the DLC songs when I choose (if I really want then I can pay for them, but I've never come close to have to pay to play a song). Otherwise, I have this awesome music channel that introduces new songs and always puts me in a competitive match.

My only complaint -- two channels at a time is not nearly enough in GHTV. Last night was indie & heavy metal. My wife wasn't really interested in any and I wish there was a third option. Some of the channels coming later at night would have been more interesting to her. Either way, I'll try to bring her back on board when a new channel comes up!

Yeah having a third channel would help out a lot.

Any reviews of the Wii U version out there?

Not as far as I know, but judging from earlier posts here I'd say it's exactly the same as the other versions.

My (Wii U) copy should arrive tomorrow, if I have time to play I'll let know what I think.

Effect

Not as far as I know, but judging from earlier posts here I'd say it's exactly the same as the other versions.

My (Wii U) copy should arrive tomorrow, if I have time to play I'll let know what I think.

Thanks!

Never really got on the Guitar Hero craze back in the day but this one has been interesting me and I would like something that's different from what I normally play. Things just being limited to rock or versions of it in past games were part of why I didn't really get the game. Hearing that the change in the guitar should and could allow for other types of music to be added is a huge plus for me.

I love me some Green Day but seeing music from Rihanna and Katy Perry is actually a plus for me. So hopefully more genres can be added in the future.

Dinosur

Any 1/8 note+ alt strumming flat out did not work in my game last night, to the point I was 100% convinced the guitar was doing double hits. However, running that auto-calibration setting fixed everything.

I'd say it took around three songs before it 100% sorted itself out.

So with all the new buttons is it closer to playing an actual guitar or is it just random finger positioning requirements without any consideration for where the chord would be played on a real guitar?

Yesterday someone said ~95% of the notes are similar to playing real guitars, though some of them do not really make sense.

TheGrue

Man, I am loving this game. I play RB4 for the crazy song catalog I have and single player and use this for multiplayer with GHTV. I've stepped up to Advanced now and usually finish first or second in the groups (mostly first). Also, the unlock mechanic of GHTV keeps me coming back. Good stuff for sure and this is coming from someone who was firmly in the RB camp and had written off GH.

TheExodu5

Banned
Calibration is weird, still haven't found the right setting yet. Feels slightly off no matter what I do.

Is there a way to enable Hyperspeed or is that completly gone?

It took me a while to get it right.

Play a song, and try to hit in time relying only on sound. Notice where your notes disappear? If they disappear above the picks, then you should move your video calibration bell to the left. If they disappear below the picks, you should move your video calibration bell to the right.

Don't even bother relying on the sound/bell being in sync. I don't find that results in good calibration.

The wrench in all of this is the game calibration option. I have no idea how that effects things.

TheExodu5

Banned

Once I got good calibration things seemed fine. But for a period in a song I was playing yesterday, it felt like I was getting insane input lag in parts resulting from wireless interference.

DarkOneX

So my top left button (black furthest away from the strum bar) seems to be able to get caught under the head of the guitar. Has anyone else had this issue. Should I go back to best buy or call activison?

I got mine from Amazon Tuesday and it had this issue, I opened an RMA with Amazon for exchange and sent it back immediately. Just got my replacement and took it out of the box to check it over at work and thank God all the buttons are nice and smooth and not getting stuck and strum bar feels nice and no squeeks.

dcassell

Banned
If you guys are having trouble with down strumming doing two hits and breaking your combo, make sure there are no bluetooth devices near the guitar or adapter. I was getting really frustrated and blaming my TV for lag when it seemed perfectly calibrated, but I could recreate the issue where I kept missing strums or getting weird inputs when I turned my phone's bluetooth on and off. Just an idea if you guys are having trouble with the guitars!

Defect

I just tried it at target. Played some Advanced then went straight to expert. Took around 3 tries to get used to it.

If you guys are having trouble with down strumming doing two hits and breaking your combo, make sure there are no bluetooth devices near the guitar or adapter. I was getting really frustrating and blaming my TV for lag when it seemed perfectly calibrated, but I could recreate the issue where I kept missing strums or getting weird inputs when I turned my phone's bluetooth on and off. Just an idea if you guys are having trouble with the guitars!

Have you experienced more drops when down strumming rather than up strumming? It seems up strumming is often more reliable for me.

BashNasty

Can't lie, even though I'm having a ton of fun with this game and am loving the TV aspect of it, I do wish there were more recognizable songs on offer. For every Bulls on Parade of Cowboys from Hell I hear, I feel like there's 3 or 4 songs that I'm not too familiar with. This could come down to my musical tastes or lack of wide ranging musical knowledge, but I do feel that overall I'm well versed in a variety of genres. I'm sure the game will only get better with song selection over time, but I wish there were a few more songs that made my ears light up right out of the gate.

Hutty211

I've been having some issues with the guitar not registering some button presses, finally figured out that removing and reinserting the adapter into my ps4 seemed to fix the problem. Was very frustrating, hopefully this helps someone else out, may be related to resuming from rest mode.

I've been having some issues with the guitar not registering some button presses, finally figured out that removing and reinserting the adapter into my ps4 seemed to fix the problem. Was very frustrating, hopefully this helps someone else out, may be related to resuming from rest mode.

Adding on to this, for me I have the best success by synching up the Guitar and PS4 before you start the game.

When I was synching up the Guitar on the GH Main Menu it was giving me issues.

Nevasleep

Been playing for about an hour, and the game feels fun to play and I dig the cheesy live-action stuff, but man, the on-disc setlist is bad. I've already been subjected to Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Skrillex and Linkin Park.

Gonna be playing GHTV almost exclusively because that base setlist suuuuuucks.
I'm sorry, I'm actually looking forward to playing them, oops.

But I'm glad GHTV exists too, as I need more variety as well!

Thanks!

Never really got on the Guitar Hero craze back in the day but this one has been interesting me and I would like something that's different from what I normally play. Things just being limited to rock or versions of it in past games were part of why I didn't really get the game. Hearing that the change in the guitar should and could allow for other types of music to be added is a huge plus for me.

I love me some Green Day but seeing music from Rihanna and Katy Perry is actually a plus for me. So hopefully more genres can be added in the future.

Same with me actually. Only played a couple of GH songs at a friend which I kind of liked, but couldn't really get into. Over the last few years I've been really getting into rhythm games, so I'm really looking forward to this.

I was very sceptical about GHTV, but that shit is probably the most addictive game mode ever. Fuck me man, there's no way to stop playing this night and I need to get up early.

Figments

Hrm. Does anyone know if the NXOE beta is causing the down strum detection issues? That might be why I'm experiencing this shit, and I really don't want to have to call Activision support.

dcassell

Banned
Have you experienced more drops when down strumming rather than up strumming? It seems up strumming is often more reliable for me.

Yes, that was my exact issue and I spent like an hour testing it. Phone messed with it every time. People on the GH Reddit have said the same too, so long as you don't have a loose strum bar. Fixed my guitar 100%

FrsDvl

Hrm. Does anyone know if the NXOE beta is causing the down strum detection issues? That might be why I'm experiencing this shit, and I really don't want to have to call Activision support.

Is it only an Xbox issue? If so, then maybe. I'm on NXOE and have the issue from time to time.

Here's a picture of the Guitar upgrades:

qy0jn0t.png

FrsDvl

GHTV leaderboards must be broken right? I never paid attention to it, then I realized I would get 96% and come in 3rd while first place only bad 82% and somehow more points. Males sense.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GHTV leaderboards must be broken right? I never paid attention to it, then I realized I would get 96% and come in 3rd while first place only bad 82% and somehow more points. Males sense.

literally look at the giant picture above your post for a explanation :)

Ugh, I've spent the last hour and a half trying to get Gamestop to give me my $20 Hero Cash code for preordering, as it wasn't on my pickup receipt. Finally got a code, only to have the redemption page tell me that it's invalid.

Last time I'll preorder something for a bonus like this.

Edit: So I guess there's some kind of problem between Activision and Nintendo that's giving a lot of people trouble redeeming the Hero Cash codes, and I'm going to have to call Activision for this. UGH.

sonto340

Can't lie, even though I'm having a ton of fun with this game and am loving the TV aspect of it, I do wish there were more recognizable songs on offer. For every Bulls on Parade of Cowboys from Hell I hear, I feel like there's 3 or 4 songs that I'm not too familiar with. This could come down to my musical tastes or lack of wide ranging musical knowledge, but I do feel that overall I'm well versed in a variety of genres. I'm sure the game will only get better with song selection over time, but I wish there were a few more songs that made my ears light up right out of the gate.
This is my favorite part.
I've already discovered a decent chunk if music I've never heard of. The old guitar hero/Rockband games introduced to me to a lot of music I still listen to. It's how I've always approached these games.

That's definitely not it, as that doesn't unlock till level 9 and people below that have beaten me. It must be the difficulty level then.

Yeah there is definitely something weird going on because I saw someone 100% a song and come in 6th place behind people in the 90% range.

antitrop

Yeah there is definitely something weird going on because I saw someone 100% a song and come in 6th place behind people in the 90% range.

It's difficulty level. They were probably playing on Casual. People on the top are always at least Advanced, usually Expert.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I find it interesting that the mode that gets the most complaints and accusations is the mode that most people here (the people that are actually playing the game) seem to be the most into

Top Bottom