• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know there's a term for it, but it's where you if you need to play the orange fret on an old RB/GH guitar you can hold any of the other frets because on a real guitar, only the lowest fret that's held is played.

Never knew this. I really was a noob

dcassell

Banned
Beat the GH Live content tonight, and there were some songs in there that were WAY more fun than I thought they would be, Love Bites and that Wolfmother song most notably. The final unlocked set was
kind of weird. I assumed that it was gonna be some huge stadium rock show considering you were playing arena rock bits, and it all ends in some basement party? What? I get that it's a private VIP thing, but I expected the game to end on a crazy high note with those songs in terms of environment.

Also, many people must not be playing on expert, because I'm charting in top 100 on all my sight reads. Can't wait for the scores to get really competitive. This is the first game I've played in a while that I just want to get super good at. I used to play GH3 competitively and I got really burnt out on the rhythm games after playing them a ton and going to music school, but this has re-lit the fire for me.

Also:
I know there's a term for it, but it's where you if you need to play the orange fret on an old RB/GH guitar you can hold any of the other frets because on a real guitar, only the lowest fret that's held is played.

That definitely still works in this game, I've been doing it the whole time I've been playing. I'm not sure you can hold it that way across colors since I haven't tested it yet, but you definitely can so long as the colors are on the same row.

T.O.P

Banned
scott-pilgrim-waiting.jpg

Come the fuck on

How do you unlock premium content in GHTV?? I mean Avenged Sevenfold tracks. It says that this content is for preorders, so do you get some code for unlocking it??

Figments

How do you unlock premium content in GHTV?? I mean Avenged Sevenfold tracks. It says that this content is for preorders, so do you get some code for unlocking it??

IIRC, you have to reach a certain level to unlock the Premium shows, Avenged Sevenfold, included. I believe that Premium show is available for everyone.

So after a good while of trying to turn off any surrounding devices with bluetooth and continuing to down strum with mixed results, I just decided to stick to up strumming. And it's been exactly as reliable as I want it to be. It's definitely not ideal, but if I'm already learning a new way to use the neck, I might as well extend that over to the strum bar.

I'm working my way through five starring all the Live and a lot of GHTV stuff on Regular as per GH tradition (and for trophies). Then it's time to join the ranks in Advanced!

SleazyC

All the positive word of mouth here is pushing me really hard to go pick this game up after work.

Anyone have any idea if a superior version exists between the PS4 and XB1 copies of the game? Guessing not but just want to double check.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
work over, home arrived, dogs walked, breakfast had, time to go to the store and buy the game be crushingly disapointed when they dont have it

Foshy

That definitely still works in this game, I've been doing it the whole time I've been playing. I'm not sure you can hold it that way across colors since I haven't tested it yet, but you definitely can so long as the colors are on the same row.
I can confirm it works across colors too.

Ugh, I've spent the last hour and a half trying to get Gamestop to give me my $20 Hero Cash code for preordering, as it wasn't on my pickup receipt. Finally got a code, only to have the redemption page tell me that it's invalid.

Last time I'll preorder something for a bonus like this.

Edit: So I guess there's some kind of problem between Activision and Nintendo that's giving a lot of people trouble redeeming the Hero Cash codes, and I'm going to have to call Activision for this. UGH.

This is from Activision's support site, which you may want to take a look at before calling them:
Please note: If you have the $19.99 Hero Cash Incentive for Wii U, redeem your code at guitarhero.com. For all other Wii U incentives, follow the steps below.

This is where you go to redeem the $19,99 Hero Cash code: https://s.guitarhero.com/ghl-wiiu/login

Source: https://support.activision.com/arti...&c=Game_Title:Guitar_Hero_Live&fs=Search&pn=1

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just realized that the PS4 Guitar is not compatible with the mobile versions... that's too bad. I assumed PS4 was bluetooth so it'd work.

Rhaknar

came back empty handed (as expected). They said they "might" have it today, otherwise only next week. Not only has the late european release annoyed me compared to steam, but now the physical release not being there on release day because I live in a shitty little country annoys me doubly. Bring on the full digital future please (yes yes I know this is the one game where that isnt possible, let me vent)

Okay I connected to Guitar Hero TV and played Pedestrian at Best and oh my god it was fucked up so badly. It sounded like two versions of the song were playing on top of each other or something, 0.1 seconds apart.

wtf.

Hopefully it was a one-off, I'm liking it other than that. The guitar controller is totally fucking me up in a really nice way. My fingers are screaming at my brain like "WHAT DO YOU EVEN WANT WE CAN'T DO THAT."

Smarty86

Man, Amazon.de still has not shipped my preorder. And the game is out today. Rather pissed about that.

Are you sure? Because i didn't get a shipping notification, but the game was sent yesterday and just arrived at Packstation :).

The system in Amazon did also not show the shipping, but rather the date of arrival.
Seems like they changed their system. Or at least i didn't encounter this behaviour before.

I just hope GHTV will stay online when everyone uses the game. The worst thing which could happen to this game is bad GHTV server stability.

Yaari

Are you sure? Because i didn't get a shipping notification, but the game was sent yesterday and just arrived at Packstation :).

The system in Amazon did also not show the shipping, but rather the date of arrival.
Seems like they changed their system. Or at least i didn't encounter this behaviour before.

I just hope GHTV will stay online when everyone uses the game. The worst thing which could happen to this game is bad GHTV server stability.

Thanks for that information. I wasn't going to receive the game today anyway but I wanted to have it shipped out today though. Makes no sense to hold it longer.

First impression after the first set: my fingers hurt!

Great introduction. Was frantically trying not to screw up the entire concert. What a thrill.

Also I'm having a ton of trouble with chords (black + white at same time), mostly because I feel the buttons dont give me enough feedback to really know I'm pressing them both down.

So more people feel that way about chords, or do you get used to it?

wbEMX

Just bought the Wii U version for 70 bucks on a whim. Day One Patch is loading, will post my impressions of the Wii U version soon.
Kgj5ziZ.jpg

So excited to experience a GH game at launch for the first time. :D

This game is so good!

Had a wee bit bother with my guitar de-calibrating itself after the tutorial but I jumped straight into The Rock Show on Advanced and got 4*.

I didn't use the last couple of GH guitars but the difference on the strum bar between this and the RB games is night and day.

kulapik

Apparently the iOS version of the game doesn't allow you to play songs on demand? The only way to do it is by buying a Party Pass. Shame.

coughlanio

So I have a copy pre-ordered locally and I'm on the fence about actually grabbing it. Got it for 110 euro, which isn't bad considering GameStop are selling it for 130.

Decide for me GAF. I'm a guitar player, so I'm tempted by the new 2x3 arrangement.

Just bought the Wii U version for 70 bucks on a whim. Day One Patch is loading, will post my impressions of the Wii U version soon.
Kgj5ziZ.jpg

So excited to experience a GH game at launch for the first time. :D

Oh hey, because of the size of the box the USK icon doesn't block half of the box art.
Unlike a certain limited edtion of a certain third person shooter on a certain Nintendo platform. :|

Jumped on this yesterday with the eBay discount code in the UK. I loved this game at Gamescom, kept going back and playing it every day :p Not going to arrive till Monday though because I left it so late :(

So? Pink, ring, middle finger or index,middle,ring finger?

Advanced is hard as shit and I cant find a relaxed position to hit the weird button combinations

This is from Activision's support site, which you may want to take a look at before calling them:

This is where you go to redeem the $19,99 Hero Cash code: https://s.guitarhero.com/ghl-wiiu/login

Source: https://support.activision.com/arti...&c=Game_Title:Guitar_Hero_Live&fs=Search&pn=1
Yeah, I tried exactly that and the page kept saying the code was not valid. Finally got hold of Activision support last night and after having to send them pictures of my GameStop receipts and code they gave me another code, and that code also did not work. They pretty much told me that I was SOL and to keep an eye on their Twitter account for updates.

I spent over 3 hours trying to get my $20 HC yesterday and came up empty-handed. Serves me right for preordering specifically for the incentives, I guess. Fuck Activision support.

Rhaknar

got mine. quick thoughts:

fuck the new button set up is going to hard to learn

and what the fuck is up with the TINY strap? do I just not know how to use it or that shit is made for a small child? thats going to be a problem because without it the guitar keeps sliding off :/

and what the fuck is up with the TINY strap? do I just not know how to use it or that shit is made for a small child? thats going to be a problem because without it the guitar keeps sliding off :/
The strap seems about the same as every other GH strap I've had.

Storm360

I don't have the game, but is it not like the old guitars with a part where you can pull to make the strap looser?

creatchee

Anybody else on the Xbox One version having a problem where occasionally (like once an hour) in Live mode, the game will lag and make a horrible static-y noise for about a second and then go back to normal? It happened a few times on star power (or whatever it's called now) activation, but it's also happened at random times too.

I think you are using the strap wrong. I know, because I was at first.

Don't pull the strap through, you have to actually move the... clip thing?

Rhaknar

I think you are using the strap wrong. I know, because I was at first.

Don't pull the strap through, you have to actually move the... clip thing?

yeah I sorted the strap now :)

also, Im not leaving Regular anytime soon lol, im terrible

Yaari

Thank you for writing to Amazon.de.

Please be advised that Pre Order items cannot be prepared for dispatch before their release date.

Lol, am I not thinking correctly or is the entire point of pre-ordering, so that you can have it on the day it comes out? Confused here.

Properly hooked on this now.

Is there any way to lose the highway when I'm not playing? I thought it'd disappear so I could chill with some music videos but while the leaderboard disappears, the highway stays there.

Rhaknar

anyone's brain tricked by the onscreen position of the frets, when its 1 and 3, you think 3 is actually a inexistant 4th button on the guitar, a button that should be farther away because on screen they look much more spread out?

granted Ive only played for about an hour so far if that :)

creatchee

anyone's brain tricked by the onscreen position of the frets, when its 1 and 3, you think 3 is actually a inexistant 4th button on the guitar, a button that should be farther away because on screen they look much more spread out?

granted Ive only played for about an hour so far if that :)

Omg yes! I kept hitting a non-existent note with my pinky on 3's for the first half hour or so lol

Top Bottom