• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

fernoca

Finally!
H8dasay.jpg

aro52

Yeah there is definitely something weird going on because I saw someone 100% a song and come in 6th place behind people in the 90% range.

They may have joined into the song late. I joined a song, it ended 10 seconds later, and I had 100% notes, but low points since I only saw a few notes.

I find it interesting that the mode that gets the most complaints and accusations is the mode that most people here (the people that are actually playing the game) seem to be the most into

Totally. Though like someone on the last page said, we need more channels. Two is lean.

UberTag

I find it interesting that the mode that gets the most complaints and accusations is the mode that most people here (the people that are actually playing the game) seem to be the most into
Seems like the difference between people who've played the mode versus those that haven't to me.

FrsDvl

So GHTV premium costs no play coins as long as you finish one of the 3 songs with 3 stars? Funny how they ask over 200 Hero Cash for something that would really only cost 1 play to unlock. Or am I wrong here?

antitrop

So GHTV premium costs no play coins as long as you finish one of the 3 songs with 3 stars? Funny how they ask over 200 Hero Cash for something that would really only cost 1 play to unlock. Or am I wrong here?
You have to do all 3 songs, but they count if you happen upon them on a GHTV channel (so you don't have to use a Play). Each song decreases the amount of Hero Cash required to play the show, or free if you do all 3.

It's difficulty level. They were probably playing on Casual. People on the top are always at least Advanced, usually Expert.

Surprisingly I was finishing first so often in Regular that I bumped it up to Advanced thinking I was being a jerk squashing people playing on Regular.

I'm scoring more points on Advanced and usually finish top 3, but not hitting 1st as often as I did when playing Regular.

FrsDvl

You have to do all 3 songs, but they count if you happen upon them on a GHTV channel (so you don't have to use a Play). Each song decreases the amount of Hero Cash required to play the show, or free if you do all 3.

Oh, that's still not bad. Considering you get 3 free songs after that. And the plays are easy enough to come by.

Hawk269

Man, I am loving this game. I play RB4 for the crazy song catalog I have and single player and use this for multiplayer with GHTV. I've stepped up to Advanced now and usually finish first or second in the groups (mostly first). Also, the unlock mechanic of GHTV keeps me coming back. Good stuff for sure and this is coming from someone who was firmly in the RB camp and had written off GH.

I am in the same boat. Was going to get neither game, then Harmonix announced U2 and that was a no brainer for me to get RB4. I then kept swearing off of GH and ended up getting the 2 Guitar Pack. My Wife never played any of these games before and after doing the tutorial twice, she began her career and she actually did very well. We both are loving it.

We just bought the official charging stations, which are pretty nice, they hold the guitar well and keep the battery charged up. Also invested in the USB 3.0 hub since the Xbox One version uses USB receivers (Really hate that they did this however, RB4 uses Xbox Ones protocol to connect without needed anything else). We are going to get a microphone as soon as they come out (have not seen then out yet).

We started playing last night around 8pm and did not stop till about 1130pm. We played together for about 2 hours unlocking stuff. Song selection I prefer RB4 personally, I had about 80+ songs from previous versions all songs I really like and I can play them anytime and as many times without additional fees, but I do love what GHTV has to offer. Watching my Wife play I could appreciate the videos as she played the game. I do not get why they did not have base when playing 2 players, that is a big miss imho.

We both agree that they need a 3rd channel. Like a user above posted, it was metal and indie or something like that on the other that neither of us (moreso the wife) was into. A 3rd channel would definitely give it a more open approach to giving people choice. Overall, we love the game and it is different enough from the past games and RB4 to be really unique and a lot of fun. While RB has it due to Bass, Drums and song selection and using your songs as many times as you want, GH has it in presentation and uniqueness that makes it a lot of fun.

Has there been any word on the plans of adding more songs to the channels? Only 1 Rush song seems criminal to me and only 1 Pearl Jam song.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They said theres a third channel and about 70 more songs coming soon.

Whatever soon means in videogame land

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where do you select difficulty level when playing channels in GHTV? I only get the option when I use a play token on an individual song

I think I saw in review videos people pausing the game and changing it?

yes but I think the concerts aren't going to be like this. You're gonna have to pay for weezer

FrsDvl

I think I saw in review videos people pausing the game and changing it?

Yeah, pretty sure that's the only way to do it.

yes but I think the concerts aren't going to be like this. You're gonna have to pay for weezer

Weezer always gets my money. Have they said anything more about that yet by the way? I know they premièred their new track during that show they were supposed to record.

So I'm getting like 20-40 (or 70?) coins per song, and the cost of 10 plays is 6000. I get like 200 sometimes, maybe from levelling or something. And I have to watch parts of music videos without any gameplay involved.

FrsDvl

So I'm getting like 20-40 (or 70?) coins per song, and the cost of 10 plays is 6000. I get like 200 sometimes, maybe from levelling or something. And I have to watch parts of music videos without any gameplay involved.

Get better! Come in first for more coins and plays. It's really not a bad system and it works very well.

Rhaknar

Did you play through Live (the campaign)? If not you should.

Also all the videos ive seen people are getting like 140 coins at least per song, how do you only get 20?

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
So I have been playing GHL the last couple night without any issues and then all of a sudden tonight my guitar started not registering strums intermittently. After a bit of troubleshooting I realized the culprit was interference from the wireless router in my house. If I turn off the router, the issues go away. As soon as I turned it back on and traffic started passing over it, the issues came back.

I can't really shut off my router every time I play because I have other people in my house using it so I am kind of bummed out about this issue. I wish they would have just synced directly with the console instead of using that USB dongle.

So...that just happened

"Hey, you know, I'm pretty good at Regular now. Why don't I try Advanced?"

*Plays Eye of the Tiger, We are the Champions*

Wow those weren't too bad at all! I can't believe I've been on Regular this whole time

*enter Disturbed - Stricken*

Shocked-gif5.gif

64% notes hit LOL. What the fucccccck just happened

FrsDvl

So...that just happened

"Hey, you know, I'm pretty good at Regular now. Why don't I try Advanced?"

*Plays Eye of the Tiger, We are the Champions*

Wow those weren't too bad at all! I can't believe I've been on Regular this whole time

*enter Disturbed - Stricken*

Shocked-gif5.gif

64% notes hit LOL. What the fucccccck just happened

LOL I can so relate to this. I just gave up and stopped playing, what the fuck man.

LOL I can so relate to this. I just gave up and stopped playing, what the fuck man.

I wish the recording function wasn't disabled so I could have saved a clip of my incompetence

Basically I just ignored all alternating notes and the ones where you have to hold white and black at the same time. I just played the single notes and a few of the ones where you press 3 at a time across either top or bottom

Then things went crazy for a bit and I just walked to the fridge to get a drink and came back and just mashed on the strum button until it was over. Still ended up with 2 stars somehow

How do you enable lefty flip and change difficulty in GHTV?

This should arrive next week. Looking forward to checking it out.

How long should I expect the 'campaign' to take?
It's so good I've been pacing myself and taking GHTV breaks. I got the game on Tuesday and I'm near the end of the career.

fernoca

So far...
Really impressed by everything.
Live is really well done and...a bit tense, seeing the people booing you. :p

Not only everything looks and sounds so sleek, but darn! Those videos in GHTV bring so many nice memories. Felt like when I watched MTV during the 90s. XD

Tons of unlockables for customization too. And the little details like when it telks you which song you missed.

I still have to coordinate my fingers a bit better. Placement is definetely better for my ability to use only 3 fingers. White buttons only is fine, black only s fine...but I lose all coordination when both appear at the same time. XD

Really great game. So glad Guitar Hero is finally and properly back, great job by FreeStyle. :)

FrsDvl

How do you enable lefty flip and change difficulty in GHTV?

It's so good I've been pacing myself and taking GHTV breaks. I got the game on Tuesday and I'm near the end of the career.

Press the start button. It's next to the hero power bar, took me a while to find it.

antitrop

I thought the same thing while playing some Pop playlist. Then I switched to a playlist that had Chop Suey.

It did not end well.

Chop Suey is one of my favorite songs to play, 4 stars on Expert my best so far. It's one of the best alternate picking songs in the game and a completely kickass music video.

If you only downstrum, you have no chance.

gar3

Hi all. Sorry if this has already been asked but can I play local multi-player in GH TV or not? Was thinking about picking up the dual guitar bundle but if the only local multi-player is GH Live I might not :-/

Chop Suey is one of my favorite songs to play, 4 stars on Expert my best so far. It's one of the best alternate picking songs in the game and a completely kickass music video.

If you only downstrum, you have no chance.
+1 for Chop Suey. Chart is really easily sightread too.

Rhaknar

Man if stores dont have this later im gonna be pissed :/

Proc

Guitar hero tv is so addicting!!!

I just spent a couple hours easy in it going through metal hour and then popular riffs playlist. This game brings me back to the days where I was in love with guitar hero.

My only regret is not playing gh tv first before gh live. GH live is a fun concept but the music there is pretty much poppy rubbish; at least in the initial going.

Live is kind of silly and the songs are mostly awful.

But GHTV is soooooo good. I was really against it when I heard about it but now I'm all about it. I thought having the music videos in the back would be dumb but it's actually pretty cool. Some of the music videos are terrible though. I'd never really heard of Black Veil Brides but their video was like a low-budget Kiss parody that doesn't know it's a parody.

Hawk269

We ran into one of the potential pitfalls with the game and that is songs repeating numerous times. We were in the second channel for about 90 minutes and in that time we played about 10 songs 2 times each. You would think with the amount of songs that it would not repeat that many times, but it did. We were in the GHTV mode on the second channel and it did this.

I really don't know why it did this, every 30 min it was changing genres or whatever it does, it was the first 30 min and the last 30 min that the repeats were in there, the middle 30 minutes was no repeats, but it just seemed odd to have 10 songs repeat twice in a 90 min session.

Hopefully a 3rd channel is introduced along with a lot more songs so this does not happen again.

That's definitely not it, as that doesn't unlock till level 9 and people below that have beaten me. It must be the difficulty level then.

That person is pretty clearly at level 4! They're not the Hero Powers or whatever they're called, they look like one-time purchase upgrades.

Just got a text, my game is on the way :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So because of the importance of chords, you can't do the thing where you hold several buttons and it only plays the low note when you strum?

Anyway, I like the Live stuff. I thought it would be silly, but actually works. I think I prefer it to RB's presentation, but of course the limitation is that they'll never be able to make more Live tracks.

Top Bottom