• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

So I'm not having the double-strum issue today at all. Guitar works perfectly. A couple days ago it would double strum like every second or third time. Took a couple day break since I was mad, and now it works fine. So weird, but thank goodness. I didn't even change anything.

Love this game so much.

TheExodu5

Banned
GHTV takes an absurd amount of bandwidth. From my bandwidth monitor:

Downstream: 6-15mbps
Upstream 0.2-0.4mbps

I should track it for an hour to see how much it uses, but that might put it at nearly 5GB/hour if it averages that.

GH Live takes an absurd amount of bandwidth. From my bandwidth monitor:

Upstream 0.2-0.4mbps

I should track it for an hour to see how much it uses, but that might put it at nearly 5GB/hour if it averages that.

I assume this is GHTV? If so, that would kill my interest in the game. We have a monthly download cap...

U2NUMB

Upstream 0.2-0.4mbps

They really should have an option to turn off video for those with caps. I noticed one night when I had about 5 other streaming devices going that they removed the video and just had a static generic GH TV wall but the music and notes kept flowing.

Seems like this could be a user option for those that have caps.

Also I should mention if you are an A.D.D type of person.. this game might drive you nuts. In the massive playlist .. after you get to a certain rank every song has its own challenges.. where you go for bronze, silver and gold medals. Problem is..they display your current medal in the list as you scroll.. I know a couple of people that will have to put in hundreds of hours now to make every one the same color.

But I personally freaking love it... so cool.. the replay value on this game is INSANE. Had a friend over yesterday who LOVES Rock Band and was planning on buying it. We played both and he looked at me and said... I can not believe I am saying this but I am buying GH Live. On his way home he bought GH and a new tv ... Game sells itself so well. Certainly when you play it back to back with Rock Band which seems so bare. Glad I have both but GH is fresh.. so well done and I do not see it getting old for a long long time.

killroy87

Upstream 0.2-0.4mbps

Fuck off, really??

That would seriously kill my potential to play this game. I haven't been paying attention to that.

I have a 500GB per month limit, which is a lot, but you can very easily reach it within a month if you do enough bandwidth-heavy activity.

TheExodu5

Banned
Don't go too crazy until someone gets actual usage over a longer period of time. I was just monitoring usage on the fly, and it seemed to stay between 6-15mbps, but it might dip at times when it's fully buffered.

Still...seems high given the quality of the video.

We also have a monthly cap of 300GB, but the game sure as hell does not use up 4-5GB per hour in TV mode. I had 25GB of traffic in the last 3 days, where I played an average of 4-5 hours of TV per day. But those 25GB also include several game updates and downloads, as well as on demand movie streams.

I'd say 1GB per hour is more accurate. Remember, the game caches all of the videos you play. That's why there is an option to clear the cache in the main menu.

Loving logging in daily to receive the "day one" coin bonus each time!

Also, that Jack White video properly fucks with the note highway. I think because it's black and white it's super distracting, like, half the effects looked like they were on top of the highway rather than behind it.

Still loving this anyway.

skynidas

Banned
I just got this game. It's pretty fucking cool, the interface is really really good. And they give you a lot of options if you don't want to spend real money on it. Also, GHTV is fantastic.

Loving logging in daily to receive the "day one" coin bonus each time!

Also, that Jack White video properly fucks with the note highway. I think because it's black and white it's super distracting, like, half the effects looked like they were on top of the highway rather than behind it.

Still loving this anyway.
What do you mean day one coin bonus? I think I get a different bonus every time.

Also what's the deal with the medals after you get sometimes after finishing songs?

What do you mean day one coin bonus? I think I get a different bonus every time.

Also what's the deal with the medals after you get sometimes after finishing songs?

4biw0O2.png

For every song on GHTV, you can earn medals by doing certain objectives (but they should all have the same objectives).

The first goal for any song is to earn 3 stars. That's the medal you're most likely seeing after a song.

After you get that medal, the next 2 objectives unlock for that song. Finish those 2, and the last set of objectives unlock.

I wondered if getting all the medals in the song would allow you to play it whenever you wanted without needing a Play. I know full well that's not going to be the case but I thought it'd be really cool, haha.

Maybe it's bugged for me then. You're supposed to receive more coins for logging in the more consecutive days you've logged in, but for some reason I just receive the day one bonus every time, as if it's always the first day I log in.

I bought the game on Saturday, and I'm loving it so far. I played through both of the festivals, and the Rock the Block Super Group event. I thought it was pretty fun, and I hope they do more songs in the point-of-view style.

GHTV is quite nice, too. I haven't had a point where I wanted to play an on-demand song, but couldn't because I lacked plays. In fact, I've got quite a surplus built up already. Somewhere around 45.

I played the premium shows, too. Those were alright. I'm not a fan of Avenged Sevenfold, nor did I care for the Guitar Hero throwback setlist. I'm glad you can participate in them by simply playing through the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so basically i have this game sitting next to me but i'm still not sure to play it.
if i open it i cant get my money back.

i'm afraid the new controls will cause cramps in my hands.
i was playing gh on expert and hard.
and some songs on expert use to cramp my hands.

i am afraid that this new play style will stress my hands more.

any veterans here willing to tell me ?

so basically i have this game sitting next to me but i'm still not sure to play it.

I played Guitar Hero and Rockband on expert as well, and while I couldn't easily jump in and there is a learning curve, I haven't had any hand cramping. Then again, I'm playing on Regular at the moment. Expert with the new control scheme is too much for me to comprehend at the moment.

I wondered if getting all the medals in the song would allow you to play it whenever you wanted without needing a Play. I know full well that's not going to be the case but I thought it'd be really cool, haha.

lol, I was curious about this so I went and got all the medals for one song just now but sadly no change. It was worth a try! That would have been great though.

deoee

Going from expert GH/RB and playing the real guitar I could safely start on Advanced after ~1 hour. My hand needs getting used to it, hurt a bit for one day after playing ~5-6 hours but now it's fine.
I ditched Advanced and moved to expert a day ago and seem to get 85-95% all the time (really depends on the song).
I'm still having a hard time with weird chords, soli and certain combinations of single notes but I'm loving it :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone tell me which blocks the Premium Setlist songs appear in so I can try to play them?

I guess this is the terrible part of not having a proper choosable setlist... well, unless you want to spend tokens.

Spukc

I played Guitar Hero and Rockband on expert as well, and while I couldn't easily jump in and there is a learning curve, I haven't had any hand cramping. Then again, I'm playing on Regular at the moment. Expert with the new control scheme is too much for me to comprehend at the moment.

so regular still feels like you are playing on a rhythm ?
do later songs stress you a little like the learning curve is great ?
gh3 was so GOOD at that :p

deoee

Can someone tell me which blocks the Premium Setlist songs appear in so I can try to play them?

I guess this is the terrible part of not having a proper choosable setlist... well, unless you want to spend tokens.

You mean the ones you need to unlock the playlist?

Spukc

Going from expert GH/RB and playing the real guitar I could safely start on Advanced after ~1 hour. My hand needs getting used to it, hurt a bit for one day after playing ~5-6 hours but now it's fine.
I ditched Advanced and moved to expert a day ago and seem to get 85-95% all the time (really depends on the song).
I'm still having a hard time with weird chords, soli and certain combinations of single notes but I'm loving it :D

you seem like a serious player thanks for the reply!
what makes you fail more..
hand cramping or just basically your brain farting at reading the info?

For every song on GHTV, you can earn medals by doing certain objectives (but they should all have the same objectives).

The first goal for any song is to earn 3 stars. That's the medal you're most likely seeing after a song.

After you get that medal, the next 2 objectives unlock for that song. Finish those 2, and the last set of objectives unlock.
Thanks, so other than for fun medals don't do anything right?

Maybe it's bugged for me then. You're supposed to receive more coins for logging in the more consecutive days you've logged in, but for some reason I just receive the day one bonus every time, as if it's always the first day I log in.
Ok I need to start paying attention. I saw the login thing come up and it said I was on day one, but I wasn't sure if it wasn't because I'd already done days one through five.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You mean the ones you need to unlock the playlist?
Yeah, I have no idea how I'm supposed to find those songs. I haven't been able to find a song list for the game that tells you what block that the songs are supposed to be in.

GH Live is reminding me of why I stopped paying for cable. The idea of watching something at a specific time of day is a really old fashioned way of thinking of entertainment. lol

Thanks, so other than for fun medals don't do anything right?

No problem. As far as I'm aware, it's just for fun. Would be nice to unlock some player cards or highways depending on the number of medals you have..but that's just wishful thinking, lol.

Note to self: Around 4:50pm est, check Channel 2 and if you see Charlie XCX playing, always switch to Channel 1. Ugh, so bad.

Just made it to level 12. Grinding for coins now. Concentrating on the "Base Score" and "Max Multiplier" upgrades first. Both are currently at level 2. Need 9k, each, to go to level 3.

You can play and beat the Indie Rock GHTV Premium set in order to gain x2 coins for 5 songs. Get that then jump back into the channels.

Yeah, I have no idea how I'm supposed to find those songs. I haven't been able to find a song list for the game that tells you what block that the songs are supposed to be in.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for the 3 songs that you need to play in order to unlock the Premium Shows, right? You can find those in Quick Play in the Live portion of the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for the 3 songs that you need to play in order to unlock the Premium Shows, right? You can find those in Quick Play in the Live portion of the game.

or in the GHTV on demand list, and you need to use a play of course. If you already played them during GHTV it counts, I had 2/3 already played when I did one of the shows for example

Hopefully new tracks tomorrow. I'm getting the copy delivered tomorrow so I am excited to play.

why are you hoping for new songs tomorow? has there been any indication at all this is happening?

Yaari

or in the GHTV on demand list, and you need to use a play of course. If you already played them during GHTV it counts, I had 2/3 already played when I did one of the shows for example

why are you hoping for new songs tomorow? has there been any indication at all this is happening?

Well their Track Tuesday thing was something leading up to the release of the game. Since they said they have 70 more tracks until this year ends, I was assuming they would drop some every week.

But we'll see.

deoee

you seem like a serious player thanks for the reply!
what makes you fail more..
hand cramping or just basically your brain farting at reading the info?

Hand cramping is no problem.
It's the lack of knowledge and brain fartig that makes me fail most of the times.
Especially some solos are INSANE to play at this tempo.

I wish there was a way to at least look at them. But you can not even take screenshots :D

antitrop

Yeah, the platinum trophy is definitely one to be proud of. 4 FC's on Expert? No way. Not even close.
The Trophy that I'm least looking forward to when going for the Platinum is 20,000,000 points in Quickplay... that's just going to be a tedious grind, with the on-disc track selection being as it is.

U2NUMB

The Trophy that I'm least looking forward to when going for the Platinum is 20,000,000 points in Quickplay... that's just going to be a tedious grind, with the on-disc track selection being as it is.

I agree.... the grindy ones on the TV side are totally fine.. I dont get the point of making us play the on disc songs so many times.

I agree.... the grindy ones on the TV side are totally fine.. I dont get the point of making us play the on disc songs so many times.

Hmm. With a 120000 average on Expert you need to play 167 songs. That means around 40 tries per each Expert track you want to FC, at least if you plan to go after that one.
You probably need a lot more than 40 tries so that one will pop on the fly.

So not once over the past week have I been competing with anyone live online.

My theory is that they either turned this functionality off at launch so that things went as smooth as possible, or that is always how it will be... competing against leaderboard ghosts or whatever. Which would actually be fine. I don't know what aspect of competing against a live set of players would bring to the table, unless I'm missing something. Doesn't seem like there's any social aspect to it, but that would be cool, to have like rivals and stuff.

labx

Banned
Just read this article: Opinion – How Guitar Hero Live’s Microtransactions Sour The Experience

Some quotes from the author

Unfortunately, the currencies in GHTV are too convoluted for their own good and too often get in the way of allowing the player to just enjoy the otherwise solid gameplay of Guitar Hero Live.

Conceptually, it’s upsetting for someone like me who has always liked playing the same song over and over to master the most difficult sequences, but I understood that GHTV is meant to replace traditional DLC with a service that takes heavy inspiration from streaming-music services like Spotify. Unfortunately, GHTV doesn’t borrow enough from Spotify and ends up taking too much from free-to-play style games.

hese premium Hero Powers include the “double multiplier” power, which has been a series standard since its inception in 2005. Without that power, it is extremely difficult to grab the top spot of the leaderboard or even score five stars on a song. In addition, you can use the same in-game currency to purchase upgrades for your guitar that help you score higher. With all of these different power-ups pulling from the same currency, it means that those who top the leaderboards are often the players who have prioritized achieving high scores over playing the songs they want to play (or have spent real money to do both).

As it stands now, GHTV is a cool idea weighed down by the frustration of trying to balance your token budget as you decide whether you want to play the song you want to play or perform better through buying uses of powerful Hero Powers. I still enjoy playing Guitar Hero Live, but when it comes to long-term playing and spending real money, I see myself leaning toward Rock Band 4.

I still don't understand the fuzz with GHTV. A new kind of MT. Now the tendency is that this kind is worst than DLC'S for armor o meaningless crap?

Re: double multiplier
Without that power, it is extremely difficult to grab the top spot of the leaderboard or even score five stars on a song.
That is a complete lie. You never need the x2 to get 5 stars, and I often beat everyone I'm playing with without it.

In other news I double checked, and I am definitely only getting the first day's log in reward as well. I sent a tweet to FSG so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I want to play them without paying tokens though. Which means waiting for them to come up in the channels.

But I have no idea if Queen songs are like... popular rock or classic rock or whatever the categories they set up are. It would be nice if it was like old MTV where you knew exactly what time a song would show up so you could just tune in at that point.

Top Bottom