• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Pachimari

Another thing is, all western/acoustic/spanish guitar would fit a wall hanger like this right? Amazon.

Q6IjR.jpg

I wish I had a better pic!
Anyway, left to right; Burny Les Paul with Sustainer bridge pick up and Floyd Rose Tremelo, Candy Apple Red Fender Special Strat with EMG DG20 active pick-ups and tone controls, Special Edition Custom Telecaster® FMT HH with Seymour Duncan pups and maple top finish, Ibanez SA570 with floating point tremelo.
IMG_0008.JPG

Amp is a Line 6 Spider 120 with FBV Shortboard II. I also have a Electroharmonix Big Muff, Vox Satriani Wah and a Boss CS3 compressor/sustainer. Might get a Digitech iPB-10 if I have the money for it.

Sobriquet

I am just absolutely befuddled by the number of people that now own Jaguars. When I bought mine I'd literally only ever seen one other one in person. It's great though, as I think it's a fantastic guitar.

The first time I saw a Squier Jaguar, the confusion was profound.

Have you seen the brand new Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars/Jazzmasters/Mustangs? $300 for roughly vintage-spec. Selling like hotcakes.

My theory is that all the Gen-Xers that grew up in the same era as me are now in the product development department at Fender. So all the guitars we wanted as kids (Fender offsets) are now becoming mass-market.

edit: Apparently I posted pics of the Squiers on the last page, as well as my Jag. :p This thread moves pretty slowly.

Fugu

The neck rubs me the wrong way, similarly to how the CIJ Jaguars do. I haven't really had a chance to play one, though. Availability of Jaguars is poor in general in Canada; I had to get mine shipped when I bought it. It is getting a lot better though, which is a little surprising as I still think that it's a bit of a luxury instrument.

I wish I had a better pic!
Anyway, left to right; Burny Les Paul with Sustainer bridge pick up and Floyd Rose Tremelo, Candy Apple Red Fender Special Strat with EMG DG20 active pick-ups and tone controls, Special Edition Custom Telecaster® FMT HH with Seymour Duncan pups and maple top finish, Ibanez SA570 with floating point tremelo.
IMG_0008.JPG

Amp is a Line 6 Spider 120 with FBV Shortboard II. I also have a Electroharmonix Big Muff, Vox Satriani Wah and a Boss CS3 compressor/sustainer. Might get a Digitech iPB-10 if I have the money for it.
How are the HH Telecasters? I haven't played one in a long time and it didn't look nearly as nice as that.

How are the HH Telecasters? I haven't played one in a long time and it didn't look nearly as nice as that.
It's good. The Seymour Duncan's do have decent volume and bite to them. The guitar is also push-pull pot so you can switch between humbucker or single coil. The finish is pretty nice. It is a through neck guitar, not a bolt on, so keeping it in good condition is a must. Can't simply replace the neck if it warps.
I got mine for £350 because it had a few scratches on it and a little dent, hardly noticeable. New they're around £500-£550.
It's funny. I was looking at getting a more contemporary guitar like a Schecter or ESP but I saw this high up on the wall and liked the look of it straight away. A good buy.

Pachimari

So I bought an used Western guitar from Hohner and I'm a total beginner. Was that a good idea? Or should I have went for a Spanish guitar? And Morgan as brand?

Oh, and I can remember the Eat All Day Get Big Fast (E A D G B F).

Seanspeed

Banned
So I bought an used Western guitar from Hohner and I'm a total beginner. Was that a good idea? Or should I have went for a Spanish guitar? And Morgan as brand?

Oh, and I can remember the Eat All Day Get Big Fast (E A D G B F).
Its perfect for a beginner. It depends a bit on what you want to play, but a regular acoustic will teach you the basics quite well and you'll develop good fretting 'strength' on it.

Also, standard tuning should be E A D G B E(not F).

Pilgor

It's good. The Seymour Duncan's do have decent volume and bite to them. The guitar is also push-pull pot so you can switch between humbucker or single coil. The finish is pretty nice. It is a through neck guitar, not a bolt on, so keeping it in good condition is a must. Can't simply replace the neck if it warps.
I got mine for £350 because it had a few scratches on it and a little dent, hardly noticeable. New they're around £500-£550.
It's funny. I was looking at getting a more contemporary guitar like a Schecter or ESP but I saw this high up on the wall and liked the look of it straight away. A good buy.

The Korean made Fenders are a great departure from the standard Fender design. HH configurations and set neck design really give a new flavor to Teles and Strats. Really, other than the shape, they are nothing like a traditional Telecaster.

I believe they are made in the same factory as LTD guitars, and some Ibanez/Jacksons. Nice guitar!

The Korean made Fenders are a great departure from the standard Fender design. HH configurations and set neck design really give a new flavor to Teles and Strats. Really, other than the shape, they are nothing like a traditional Telecaster.

I believe they are made in the same factory as LTD guitars, and some Ibanez/Jacksons. Nice guitar!

I think they are (or at least were) made in Cort factory in Korea. Famous for poor work conditions and hunger strikes. I must say that I was interested in similar Custom Teles several years ago, but after trying two at the local shop I got a Classic Series '72 Thinline instead. Played much better, and looked nicer also.

Pilgor

I think they are (or at least made) made in Cort factory in Korea. Famous for poor work conditions and hunger strikes. I must say that I was interested in similar Custom Teles several years ago, but after trying two at the local shop I got a Classic Series '72 Thinline instead. Played much better, and looked nicer also.

You may be right. They are nice for what they are, though a tad pricey. $500 would probably be a better price point.

The '72 is nice, but there's something about that pick guard I don't like. It's HH too, correct?

You may be right. They are nice for what they are, though a tad pricey. $500 would probably be a better price point.

The '72 is nice, but there's something about that pick guard I don't like. It's HH too, correct?

Yeah, two humbuckers. They look like old wide-range humbuckers, but the insides are really just regular PAFs.

Has anyone here tried these new Modern Player Fenders? They look pretty interesting, especially Marauder with that triplebucker + P90 combo.

0241400502_frt_wlg_001.jpg

http://www.fender.com/en-FI/products/modernplayer/search.php

And Telecaster Plus looks pretty nice also:

0241102542_frt_wmd_001.png

DrBo42

Woah very nice. I had a 95 Fender Telecaster Plus, that thing screamed with the dual red lace pickup it had in there. I wonder if these are comparable.

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone know anything about the different tonelab models? I'm tempted to pick up the old version for $125 off craigslist:

mN3X6m.jpg

However I could get the newer model for $199

axvgTm.jpg

Are there any major differences between the these models? The only difference I know of is that the ST has a pedal built in. Can I plug in a pedal to the old model?

So which has the best sound GAF?

Sobriquet

Are there any major differences between the these models? The only difference I know of is that the ST has a pedal built in. Can I plug in a pedal to the old model?

So which has the best sound GAF?

Looks like the older one requires a proprietary foot controller.

If you want a multi-effects unit, I would suggest springing for the Line 6 M9.

Sobriquet

I've heard some real good demos come out of the tonelab, like this: http://soundcloud.com/ericjosephburns/sonic-2-dr-robotniks-theme

Plus they both have a 12AX7 tube, which the Line 6 M9 doesn't.

I admit I don't know much about the Tonelabs. I'm only really familiar with standalone pedals. I just see a lot of M9s on pro boards. Although to be fair, I've heard the dirt on M9s isn't that great.

But the main point of my last post was that you'll have to hunt down the VC-4 controller if you actually want to use it as a stomp box. Unless the seller has one.

I've heard some real good demos come out of the tonelab, like this: http://soundcloud.com/ericjosephburns/sonic-2-dr-robotniks-theme

Plus they both have a 12AX7 tube, which the Line 6 M9 doesn't.

M9 is a collection of modelled pedals, Tonelab is a collection of amp models, pedal models, and cabinet models. I'd say Tonelab is much more versailable and useful, and sounds loads better. M9 has more modelled pedals of course, but it should as that's the only thing it does. And I own both...

I guess the original Tonelab is pretty limited by todays standard, as it doesn't have its own foot controller etc. And some of the AD/DA conversions may have been in a bit too low bitrate...

Tonelab SE (which is the one I own) is the biggest one of them and has most foot controller options (two expression pedals!). Kind of heavy, and has no optical output, but I like it. No longer manufactured, so may be difficult to find.

Tonelab LE takes away the second expression pedal and makes the board lot smaller. Adds 24 bit AD/DA prosessing and optical output.

ToneLab EX is a slight upgrade to LE, but I think mainly adds some new models and setups.

Tonelab ST is a cheap version that has less foot buttons. It's meant for home use only I think.

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah I'll just be using it for home recording, which is why I'm thinking the ST would be perfect. And it has 1 pedal which I can use for wah-wah and other effects.

Yeah I'll just be using it for home recording, which is why I'm thinking the ST would be perfect. And it has 1 pedal which I can use for wah-wah and other effects.

Yeah, ST has digital out and does 24 bit conversions, so it should be better for recording than the original Tonelab.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm only really familiar with standalone pedals. I just see a lot of M9s on pro boards. Although to be fair, I've heard the dirt on M9s isn't that great.

I've never heard really good overdrive from any of those multiple FX. My old Zoom g9.2TT did a decent ultra-high gain chug sound but still couldn't do an OD that comes anywhere near my Hotcake.

whitehawk do you need loads of different effects? Have you considered just getting really good analog overdrive and delay pedals and then doing all your modulation effects and amp emulations using software?

Does anyone know where I can find a UniVox Uni-Vibe, one that is either the same or as close to the one Gilmour uses on Dark Side of the Moon? Failing that any suggestions on something similar? Also, ELectroharmonix Electric Mistress. Any good?

Sobriquet

Does anyone know where I can find a UniVox Uni-Vibe, one that is either the same or as close to the one Gilmour uses on Dark Side of the Moon? Failing that any suggestions on something similar? Also, ELectroharmonix Electric Mistress. Any good?

You could get a Dunlop Uni-Vibe, a Fulltone Deja Vibe, or any number of other clones (boutique or otherwise).

The Electric Mistress is a classic flanger.

If you're trying to get a Gilmour sound, check out http://www.gilmourish.com/

You could get a Dunlop Uni-Vibe, a Fulltone Deja Vibe, or any number of other clones (boutique or otherwise).

The Electric Mistress is a classic flanger.

If you're trying to get a Gilmour sound, check out http://www.gilmourish.com/
Yeah, I just found Gilmourish.com recently. Think I might treat myself to that Electric Mistress and look into a good uni-vibe. I've seen the review for the Electronic Orange Moon Vibe which seems pretty good. Pretty good but hard to find! As they are hand made the earliest I can hope for is December. The Dunlop Uni-vibe is impossible to find but the Jim Dunlop Uni-Vibe Stereo Chorus is available. I've looked at BYOC pedals too, but I'm not up to the job of building them!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Took it yesterday. Got bored of playing the acoustic.

3f713348e10011e194a422000a1e8aa6_7.jpg

Ibanez RG5EX1 which I've had for 5+ years now. My acoustic (not pictured obv) is a Yamaha F325 which I've had for over a year now.

I enjoy the Apogee One I got around Christmas time; the included micro USB cable is a bit short/loose, I have a longer one coming from Monoprice though. Got it for $180.

Ignore if you're using Windows or Linux.

I enjoy the Apogee One I got around Christmas time; the included micro USB cable is a bit short/loose, I have a longer one coming from Monoprice though. Got it for $180.

Ignore if you're using Windows or Linux.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm on Windows, only have a MacBook Air and it coughs up blood trying to run GarageBand.

I highly recommend the NI Komplete Audio 6, very low latency, awesome pre-amps:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/komplete-audio-6/

Looks good, I'll check it out, thanks.

As mentioned before I'm on Windows however my collaborator only has access to GarageBand on a Mac. Does anyone know which software (if any) allows for easy transfer back and forth between it and GarageBand?

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm on Windows, only have a MacBook Air and it coughs up blood trying to run GarageBand.

Really? I've been using it since v1 on a PowerMac G5 with very few issues except some latency on one version on a C2D MacBook. Do you not have enough RAM for what you're trying to do?

As mentioned before I'm on Windows however my collaborator only has access to GarageBand on a Mac. Does anyone know which software (if any) allows for easy transfer back and forth between it and GarageBand?

I don't know of anything that will handle a Garageband file, but if you can bounce tracks to disk (GB can) you can work that way and then when you have all the tracks pick one of your DAWs to master.

Sup, guitar-brethren.

I've been reading this thread for some time now, always getting green with envy while skimming through your awesome equipment. I knew being envious of such treasures was in vain, because I thought I'd always lack the self-discipline to actually start learning to play guitar.....or that I'd ever have enough money to spare to buy a decent guitar, for that matter.

However, at the beginning of this summer, I said to myself: "Fuck it" and decided to go after a dream of mine for a couple of years now. So, I simply lived this summer more modestly than usual and saved money to go pay one of the local music shop a visit, hopingly not leaving empty-handed. Apparently the stars were right and/or the gods were smiling at me, because I got an offer that was within my price range. So, ladies and gentlemen of guitar-gaf, meet my new pale mistress (crappy picture quality provided by the cellphone's camera, hand provided by my girlfriend):

gjGkgl.jpg

A 2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio in glorious Alpine White. I've been riffing a bit with the Epiphone Les Paul that my dad owns but man.....this really is something different. I haven't felt such pure joy of playing something in years.

Medalion

Banned
vox-1.jpg

Not my pic, but my recent big purchase gear wise is something I've sought after for a long time... I've been trying to pursue a Vox AC30 type amp but such a thing is impractical where I live in an apartment... so I settled on a Vox AC15 custom. I've been chasing after U2's The Edge guitar tone, and have had various degrees of success... but that amp was one of the core components I needed. The next were some pedals...

I bought a Boss DD-20 giga delay pedal for the classic U2 sound with a lot of versatility in the delays in settings and variety:
boss-gigadelay.jpg

For an overdrive/distortion pedal, I got a Boss SD-1 super overdrive pedal:
_c58518_image_0.JPG

And finally a Line 6 Verbzilla pedal, to achieve a shimmer effect... which is a pitchshifted reverb effect to simulate almost a synth effect:
Line_6_Tone_Core_Verbzilla_576.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Nice LP Haemolacria, reminds me a bit of mine but with buckers:

5457779832_6c3aa4f214_b.jpg

I've bought black parts to replace all the cream parts but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Xun

I'm debating on what acoustic-electric guitar to get.

It would be my second acoustic guitar, so I want to get something better this time.

Obviously I've got to try some guitars for myself, but I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions? Bear in mind I live in the UK.

I was looking at maybe getting a Tanglewood, but I'm not entirely sure.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've owned just a single guitar for roughly 15 years so I never felt compelled to contribute to the thread. Here it is, a Martin D-15.

slowI.jpg

I got married two weeks ago and received from my wonderful wife a 00-db Jeff Tweedy Martin. Waiting for it to be built, should have it somewhere between Nov-Jan.

w8kUu.jpg

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Looks gorgeous!

Thanks! In a fit of temporary insanity I actually entertained the idea of picking out a different guitar. My wife encouraged me to head down to the local shop and play the other guitars and that if I found something I really liked, to get it instead.

I really liked the Martin CEO-6 and nearly walked out of there with the Martin GPCPA1 Plus but knew I needed some time to think on it.

I woke up the next day and felt like a fool. How could I possibly pick any other instrument than the one my wife specifically chose for me? Besides, the Tweedy is only being produced for two years. I'll have chances down the line for any of their standards, as amazing as they were.

The two best acoustic guitars I've ever tried up were Martins (to be fair, I've yet to try a Collings or other smaller boutique brand). A 000-28EC and some other OOO model with a v-neck (but not an EC model). I'm ruined on larger guitars, I think.

Very happy with my Eastman OM, someday I would like to have a OOO with the shorter neck.

Owning an acoustic you love is pretty magical.
I should give Apple keynotes.

Top Bottom