• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Sec0nd

So I actually bought a Line 6 Studio UX1 and I've been playing with Logic Pro and my Sennheiser headset. Man... It's so awesome. So awesome I've actually put my glorious Marshall Class 5 away and I've been purely playing through my computer. I've actually decised to record a quick cover of Knockin' on Heavens Door by Guns n Roses if anyone is interested in how it could (so many options) sound. Don't expect to much from my playing though, I'm a pretty crappy guitar player lol.

Knockin on Heavens Door cover

I thought I could ask here. I am soon travelling to the US and I am very interested in getting a high quality hand made acoustic nylon guitar. Does anyone have any tips for getting one?

Xun

My new guitar:

DRC-28E_01.jpg

Beautiful thing.

Xun

I'm looking to buy a delay/loop pedal and a fuzz pedal, any suggestions?

For the delay/loop I was initially looking at the Boss DD-7, but I'm not sure.

Xun

For delay/looper I recommend either the Flashback 4X:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/flashback-x4-delay.asp

Or if money is tight the Hardware DL-8:

http://www.hardwirepedals.com/en-US/products/dl-8

Fuzz is too much of a personal taste thing though, you'll need to try/listen to a bunch of them and decide for yourself but you can't go wrong with a Big Muff.
My friend told me the Big Muff isn't that great, but from what I've heard I'd have to disagree. I guess it really is just personal preference?

How's the Little Big Muff in comparison?

Thanks for the suggestions as well!

Sobriquet

I'm looking to buy a delay/loop pedal and a fuzz pedal, any suggestions?

For the delay/loop I was initially looking at the Boss DD-7, but I'm not sure.

Are you able to go try some out? I would recommend the Boss DD-7 and the TC Electronic Flashback. I have a Flashback, but they're both pretty great.

For fuzz, I would recommend the Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker or the Way Huge Green Rhino.

Xun

I'll head to Denmark Street later on when I leave work and try them out.

From a price and sound point of view from what I've heard, I'm tempted with the Boss DD-7 and the Big Muff (maybe even Little Big Muff).

I only really want the looper for coming up with stuff rather than playing live, so the delay is what I'm really interested in.

Sobriquet

I'm tempted with the Boss DD-7 and the Big Muff (maybe even Little Big Muff)..

The two fuzzes I mentioned are more versatile Muff circuits. The Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker is in the same enclosure as the Little Big Muff. That and the Green Rhino both have that Muff sound, but eliminate the biggest problem: not cutting through in a band situation.

So what do you guys do for nicks/scratches on a guitar, just keep them as battle scars? My ebony SG Standard got a pretty noticeable ding on one of the cutaways the other day, scratched off the paint so you can see the wood :(

Xun

The two fuzzes I mentioned are more versatile Muff circuits. The Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker is in the same enclosure as the Little Big Muff. That and the Green Rhino both have that Muff sound, but eliminate the biggest problem: not cutting through in a band situation.
I'm pretty sold on that then.

The size of the standard Big Muff is too much for me, but the Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker looks perfect.

So what do you guys do for nicks/scratches on a guitar, just keep them as battle scars? My ebony SG Standard got a pretty noticeable ding on one of the cutaways the other day, scratched off the paint so you can see the wood :(

You know people pay big money for manufacturers to dent and age guitars, lol (including myself, I recently bought a Fender Custom Shop relic this year).

But yeah, if it dings and scratches....most people usually deal with it and even more actually think it's kool, as relicing seems to be rather "in vogue" these days :)

Why have one delay pedal when you could have them all?

vyA6B.jpg

If money isn't an issue, this is, in my opinion, the best delay on the market.

why buy the DL4 when you can get a used M9 for the same moneys and have all those delays, the looper, and about eighty-some-odd other effects all wrapped into one?

*full disclosure: I run M9's on both my main boards, and they're great all-purpose pedals - best pedal investment I've made since buying the Yamaha MagicStomps they replaced back in 2004 or something...

why buy the DL4 when you can get a used M9 for the same moneys and have all those delays, the looper, and about eighty-some-odd other effects all wrapped into one?

*full disclosure: I run M9's on both my main boards, and they're great all-purpose pedals - best pedal investment I've made since buying the Yamaha MagicStomps they replaced back in 2004 or something...

If we're talking about used items, you can still get a DL4 for half the price of an M9.

I personally wouldn't use one of those. My amp sounds too good on it's own to warrant any distortion effects, so I just use a DL4 with an MM4 and a Whammy. There's certainly more you could do with the M9, but for some reason I work better with knobs than screens :lol

Each their own though, it's definitely a viable option.

Xun

I think I may go for the Flashback X4, but since it's a Christmas gift for me I'll pay towards it due to the price.

I've really got to try them all out first though.

Decisions, decisions.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you're gigging or traveling around with your guitar a lot, its pretty standard to expect some wear and tear. Its kind of why I never thought about buying anything too nice before.

But now that I mainly just play at home, I think I'd be down for getting something nice and taking care of it better.

It also depends on what your plans are with the guitar. If you think you might sell it sometime in the next 5-10 years or so, it'll be best to get it fixed up.

I don't do anything; depending on the finish, you can fill in and repair dents and cracks. My Gibson took a bad ding on the back of the neck bouncing after being pulled off it's stand. I just sanded the edges flat and now I don't notice it.

Xun

I think I may go for the Flashback X4, but since it's a Christmas gift for me I'll pay towards it due to the price.

I've really got to try them all out first though.

Decisions, decisions.
I'm torn between the Boss DD-7 now and the Hardwire DL-8, anyone tried both? I've been really busy with work to try out both of them.

Fusebox

Banned
Personally I'd got for the Hardwire over the Boss, the Hardwire range is fantastic, but I'd go for the Flashback 4X over the Hardwire as it has the tone and the features.

Xun

Personally I'd got for the Hardwire over the Boss, the Hardwire range is fantastic, but I'd go for the Flashback 4X over the Hardwire as it has the tone and the features.
It was more of a size matter for me, especially for gigging.

Nothing stopping me from getting something more advanced someday anyway.

saunderez

I've only been playing for a few months and am currently jamming on this

The Epiphone Explorer GT

It's really tiny and frankly looks like a Guitar Hero controller but I love it all the same.

I have it teamed up with this little beast, a Yamaha THR-10 modelling amp.

Great sound and it'll run on AAs for an entire day which is useful.

I'm looking into getting another guitar in the New Year, at this point I'm really interested in some of the ESP LTDs in particular the EC-330.

XenoRaven

I already have an RG! It's a seven string with a floating bridge and I have no idea what to do with it lol.

Not a great beginner guitar apparently, but I got a great deal on it!

saunderez

I already have an RG! It's a seven string with a floating bridge and I have no idea what to do with it lol.

Not a great beginner guitar apparently, but I got a great deal on it!

In that case get something with a fixed bridge so you can change tuning easily. As much as I like the idea of a tremolo unit I change tuning far too often, I'd need to have a couple set up to alternate tunings permanently.

DrBo42

Nice! How's the neck?

2 months later... Nice satin finish on it for shifting. As for profile I can't remember but it fits my hand rather well, not chunky. Still can't thumb fret the low E consistently but that's just from lack of practice rather than a neck complaint.

Banglish

Guys.. I'm looking for my first bass guitar. Should I be more concerned about sound and overall quality/resell value, or just having something that will be good for me to learn the basics? My budget is $300 for a guitar and depending on what's available, $100 on an amp if its possible to get one for that price range.

Seanspeed

Banned
Guys.. I'm looking for my first bass guitar. Should I be more concerned about sound and overall quality/resell value, or just having something that will be good for me to learn the basics? My budget is $300 for a guitar and depending on what's available, $100 on an amp if its possible to get one for that price range.
Split that $400 budget up more evenly. No point in getting a $300 bass if you're coupling it with an absolute bottom-line amp. Its gonna sound like ass.

At the lower end of budgets, what you're looking for is comfort and maybe a bit of brand recognition for assurance's sake, like a Squire or something. And looks. You want something that'll keep you coming back. Go to a music shop and try out some different basses. Get a feel for what you think feels better in your hands. Your opinion may change later on, but its better to be comfortable starting out than to struggle against it and risk demotivation.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Split that $400 budget up more evenly. No point in getting a $300 bass if you're coupling it with an absolute bottom-line amp. Its gonna sound like ass.

At the lower end of budgets, what you're looking for is comfort and maybe a bit of brand recognition for assurance's sake, like a Squire or something. And looks. You want something that'll keep you coming back. Go to a music shop and try out some different basses. Get a feel for what you think feels better in your hands. Your opinion may change later on, but its better to be comfortable starting out than to struggle against it and risk demotivation.

As a bassist myself, this man speak the truth.

XenoRaven

I ended up getting a G&L Fiorano. It's from their tribute series but it feels great, sounds great, and looks awesome. A little out of the price range I specified, but I'm a big G&L fan after picking up an L-2500 bass which I am in love with.

Don't know how cheap they run, but make sure you try an Ibanez SR series. Mine served me a good ten years before I decided to upgrade to the G&L. Actually I still have it.

I bought this Squier short-scale Jaguar from Amazon (it was $159 then). It's a fun bass to learn on. I suggest the full-size Jaguar if you want the normal bass neck.

I don't agree with seanspeed. Put as much money as you can into the instrument. Buy a bedroom amp at first. You will always be upgrading amps.

2 months later... Nice satin finish on it for shifting. As for profile I can't remember but it fits my hand rather well, not chunky. Still can't thumb fret the low E consistently but that's just from lack of practice rather than a neck complaint.

Not everyone's hands are cut out for it, but I really find it useful.

Banglish

I did my best gaf. Bought off kijiji.
The goods:
ibdJvkcMYkLkJa.JPG

Peavey Foundation 2000 - $195
Peavey 110 watt amp - $ 75

Thanks for the feedback peeps.
Opinions?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The goods:
ibdJvkcMYkLkJa.JPG

Opinions?

Looks like a good setup to chip your teeth on, nice.

How does it feel to play it? Are you satisfied with them?

DrBo42

The goods:
ibdJvkcMYkLkJa.JPG

Opinions?

Not bad at all. Some may disagree with me but if you have a console or a competent gaming PC I'd look into picking up Rocksmith. It won't teach you theory or anything like that but it's a great motivator to keep plugging away and at least get your hands used to basics.

Banglish

Looks like a good setup to chip your teeth on, nice.

How does it feel to play it? Are you satisfied with them?

Did a few basic yt lessons a bit earlier in the night and it feels really nice man.
I just want to play it! To put it bluntly, I'm loving it.

Not bad at all. Some may disagree with me but if you have a console or a competent gaming PC I'd look into picking up Rocksmith. It won't teach you theory or anything like that but it's a great motivator to keep plugging away and at least get your hands used to basics.

Thanks. I will definitely look into this.
Any other good reference sites other than youtube to get a foundation of the basics?

saunderez

I'll second Rocksmith, I play it between practicing on the amp and it has been a huge motivator in getting me to pick up the guitar. Make sure you flip the fretboard in the options so that the game displays closer to tradtional tablature, it will help you when you transition to playing from tabs. I found the colour coding of the strings meant there was one less variable I had to think about which helped out a lot starting out.

XenoRaven

Wow Rocksmith is fun and it's a pretty good learning tool too. I have no idea how someone who has never picked up a guitar before would fare, but since I already have the muscles and callouses built up in my fingers from playing bass I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Gotta figure out how to fix the audio lag though. It's killing me.

XenoRaven

I've heard that a better receiver will fix that (some brand starting with 'O'?) even with HDMI, but otherwise you have to use analog sound out of the console.
I'm using optical which is probably why I'm having an issue. It's a pain to switch to analog but I think it's my only option.

Top Bottom