• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

I bought mine a couple of years ago for $400. I think they may be overpriced at $550, at least in USD. I love the guitar though!

Well, it's 550 CAD

Canadian dollar's taken a hit :/

What amp are you playing through? Honestly, the amp is a bigger deal to me than the guitar.

I currently have this one:

0301614009_gtr_frt_001_nr.jpg

Well, my amp's a bit different from that one in that switches and knobs are at the top instead of the front.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd probably upgrade the amp before the guitar really.

The guitar you can just put a 50 dollar pickup in and have it sound vaguely close to what you want but you can't really do anything about the amp.

I got a $250 gift card for Best Buy. An Epiphone Les Paul Standard costs $550. Worthwhile purchase?

The guitar you can just put a 50 dollar pickup in and have it sound vaguely close to what you want but you can't really do anything about the amp.

For sound, sure, but the Strat and the Les Paul feel so different to play between scale length, fretboard radius and width, neck shape, and body joint.

If you want a Les Paul then get a Les Paul.

Monoprice, of all places, carries a good bedroom/practice tube amp for a low price. A tube amp is nice to have as it really helps to learn how to shape your guitar sound. I find I can get lost in all the effects and simulations of a solid-state amp.

$113, 8" Celestion, 5W

$267, 12" Celestion, 15W

For sound, sure, but the Strat and the Les Paul feel so different to play between scale length, fretboard radius and width, neck shape, and body joint.

I'm a firm believer that not having the guitar you really want contributes to people quitting playing.

NTGYK, I personally wouldn't buy a guitar from Best Buy simply because they probably have no room to haggle, which a dedicated instrument store does. Never pay the asking price for a guitar. And don't worry about missing out on a sale. Les Pauls are ubiquitous. The 2015 Les Paul Standards were a huge bust and should fetch serious discounts. I doubt you have any negative opinion on zero-frets or auto-tuners, so keep an eye out for those. I think a higher-end Epiphone is probably better quality than a lower-end Gibson, and even copycat guitars can be brought up to the quality of the genuine article, but if you think you'd be happiest with a "real" LP, I'd just save up until you could buy one outright. Keep an eye on craigslist, it's been my best friend (wallet's worst enemy) this year. I think I bought 7 guitars in 2015!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Sure, if you have $500 to blow on feel, sure, I guess. But that's really more of an advanced player thing to me. I've owned probably 10 electrics and the biggest things for me were always my amps.

Fun fact:

The first pedal I ever owned was a METAL ZONE (old dudes you know what this is). The first amp I ever bought was a Mesa/Boogie Mark III Green Stripe combo. That thing weighed a fucken billion pounds and could get the cops called in less than a minute. I played it in my apartment.

The next amp I bought was a JCM900 2550 50-watt 2x12 (not the Dual Reverb). It weighed a goddamn ton and was buzzy as fuck if you didn't fuck with the gain knobs the right way because one of the 2 gain knobs was a diode clipping device that sounded like a Metal Zone if you turned it up.

The amp I'm using now is a Jet City 2212 combo which is really light, can also get the cops called on me, but sounds pretty damn good at a reasonable level of volume.

Sure, if you have $500 to blow on feel, sure, I guess. But that's really more of an advanced player thing to me. I've owned probably 10 electrics and the biggest things for me were always my amps.

I absolutely would have told him to get an amp if he came in here asking about "tone".

He's just posted a bunch over the past several months about getting a Les Paul.

(I'm about to sell at least one amp, a pedal, some cameras to fund a Ceriatone OTS 20).

I'm planning on keeping my Squier so I can fiddle around with it's parts and electronics. I wanna get a new amp too, but being back in school, I'm running on a lower budget than I normally would be.

Yeah, I dunno what it is. I like my strat well enough, but it doesn't feel like... right(?) in my hands? I went to the guitar shop a couple times, I dunno what it is, but it feels way better and more comfortable in my hand, despite the increased weight.

I'm a firm believer that not having the guitar you really want contributes to people quitting playing.

NTGYK, I personally wouldn't buy a guitar from Best Buy simply because they probably have no room to haggle, which a dedicated instrument store does. Never pay the asking price for a guitar. And don't worry about missing out on a sale. Les Pauls are ubiquitous. The 2015 Les Paul Standards were a huge bust and should fetch serious discounts. I doubt you have any negative opinion on zero-frets or auto-tuners, so keep an eye out for those. I think a higher-end Epiphone is probably better quality than a lower-end Gibson, and even copycat guitars can be brought up to the quality of the genuine article, but if you think you'd be happiest with a "real" LP, I'd just save up until you could buy one outright. Keep an eye on craigslist, it's been my best friend (wallet's worst enemy) this year. I think I bought 7 guitars in 2015!

I'm so terrible at haggling :/

More I've thought about it, the more I think I might wait a while and then sink a bit more money into it. These aren't things I buy often, hahaha.

I'm thinking about going for this:

LesPaulCstmPRO_AW_Splash.jpg

It's $750 CAD. But how on earth would I haggle with these people

I don't haggle, it makes me uncomfortable. But: The Internet makes it so easy to price shop, so figure out what the mail order cost would be and go from there. Best Buy may even price match and a smaller store may knock the price down.

Since I've never posted in this thread, here's what I have currently.

The first guitar I played was this epiphone les paul custom which my dad bought for himself around 12 years ago, which over time pretty much became mine.

Earlier this year I bought the first guitar that was all mine. Its an LTD graphic series, which is basically an M-1000 without the trem system and a design on it. Found it for sale used at my local guitar center for a good price.

I'm not a great haggler, either, but it never hurts to say things like, "Is this the best price you can do? Are there any sales coming up? Do you have any coupons available? Can you throw something in for that price? Does it come with a case?" Don't act all eager-beaver, and try a few other guitars as well. At the end, say "I've got $X, if I can walk out with it for that, I'll take it." You're not trying to buy a rare, vintage instrument. You're always going to be able to pick up a Les Paul. Don't be afraid to wait for the next one.

That Epiphone is available on Reverb, with a case, for $450 (it has a bit of cosmetic damage to the neck, not sure what it would cost to repair). But there are plenty of others as well.

$450 USD plus shipping and duty becomes $750 CDN really quickly these days, unfortunately.

On top of the shitty dollar, shipping fees, there is also a 6% duty and you have to pay brokerage if you can't do it yourself.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I'm about to go buy my first electric guitar. Been playing on acoustic about three years now pretty consistently so I think it's time to get an electric. I can really only afford to spend about $250-300 USD. I don't have an amp but I'll pick one up later, going to use guitar rig for now. I was looking at these ones below but if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Ibanez ART100 TCR - this one is $250.00

Ibanez RT150 - $239.00

I really love the look of that Ibanez ART100 but it doesn't look like it has a single dedicated pick up, just the dual humbuckers. I'm not sure if this matters or not lol. I'm still trying to learn about the differences between the different types of pick up's and what not. I know the humbuckers will give you a heavier/thicker sound which is fine but I want a nice clean sound too.

I don't haggle, it makes me uncomfortable. But: The Internet makes it so easy to price shop, so figure out what the mail order cost would be and go from there. Best Buy may even price match and a smaller store may knock the price down.

I'm not a great haggler, either, but it never hurts to say things like, "Is this the best price you can do? Are there any sales coming up? Do you have any coupons available? Can you throw something in for that price? Does it come with a case?" Don't act all eager-beaver, and try a few other guitars as well. At the end, say "I've got $X, if I can walk out with it for that, I'll take it." You're not trying to buy a rare, vintage instrument. You're always going to be able to pick up a Les Paul. Don't be afraid to wait for the next one.

That Epiphone is available on Reverb, with a case, for $450 (it has a bit of cosmetic damage to the neck, not sure what it would cost to repair). But there are plenty of others as well.

$450 USD plus shipping and duty becomes $750 CDN really quickly these days, unfortunately.

On top of the shitty dollar, shipping fees, there is also a 6% duty and you have to pay brokerage if you can't do it yourself.

Well, I've got two sorta "main" shops to choose from. Tom Lee salesmen operate on commission, Long & McQaude don't. The guitar's $750 at L&M (but I was told that I might be able to get it on sale if I can wait a few months there, but no guarantees on that specific model). Dunno if Tom Lee has the guitar.

Lan Dong Mik

Just picked up this Epiphone ES Pro 339. I basically fell in love with it trying it out at my local music shop. My buddy was telling me he thinks Epiphone's are like cheap Gibson's but man I REALLY liked the way this sounded. Paid $350 for it.

Heh, that's a completely different guitar style than what you were looking at before! There's nothing like actually picking up a guitar for finding out what you might like. Yes, Epiphones are cheap Gibsons just like Squiers are cheap Fenders; doesn't mean they can't be nice guitars, and sometimes even nicer than the "real thing." My collection is lacking in hollow-body electrics, but I have a hard enough time justifying what I already have. Nice axe.

Here's a video review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWw90TR-Erw

Lan Dong Mik

haha nice!! yeah man I literally had no idea what I was looking for but when I actually got to mess around with a bunch of different guitars this one really stood out. Glad that video review is positive too!! I've been reading a lot positive things about it. It sounds fucking great.

I came across a brand called 'Michael Kelly' while scoping out a music store earlier today. Never heard of it, but they had the guitars pretty dirt cheap (used, around 250 CAD). Looked them up, they get great reviews.

Came across this Tele on their site. That's a nice looking guitar:

Maybe after I get my LP, I'll look into getting a Tele.

Getting way ahead of myself, yeesh.

Just picked up this Epiphone ES Pro 339. I basically fell in love with it trying it out at my local music shop. My buddy was telling me he thinks Epiphone's are like cheap Gibson's but man I REALLY liked the way this sounded. Paid $350 for it.

Nice!

I'm about to go buy my first electric guitar. Been playing on acoustic about three years now pretty consistently so I think it's time to get an electric. I can really only afford to spend about $250-300 USD. I don't have an amp but I'll pick one up later, going to use guitar rig for now. I was looking at these ones below but if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Ibanez ART100 TCR - this one is $250.00

Ibanez RT150 - $239.00

I really love the look of that Ibanez ART100 but it doesn't look like it has a single dedicated pick up, just the dual humbuckers. I'm not sure if this matters or not lol. I'm still trying to learn about the differences between the different types of pick up's and what not. I know the humbuckers will give you a heavier/thicker sound which is fine but I want a nice clean sound too.

cheap single coils generally sound better than cheap humbuckers. save the hi-end models, i hate humbuckers. in that price range, also consider the squier vintage modified series--the jazzmasters and jaguars in particular are phenomenal for the price.

How come Jaguars and Jazz Masters aren't as popular as LPs, Starts, and Teles? Are they a niche product or something?

Edit: I actually took a look at my amp, lol. It's a G-DEC Junior

"How come Jaguars and Jazz Masters aren't as popular as LPs, Starts, and Teles? Are they a niche product or something?

Edit: I actually took a look at my amp, lol. It's a G-DEC Junior"

They're still pretty popular, especially within the past 8 or so years. Early 2000s they were not very popular at all.

They're not *as* popular probably because they are a *little* quirky, both design and functionality-wise. They also didn't come first and guitar players are notoriously stubborn and don't care for change or new/different things. Hell, even Jaguar/Jazz/Mustang fans get crotchety when Fender tries to release altered versions of them.

Edit: I actually took a look at my amp, lol. It's a G-DEC Junior

Oh, that's a really fun amp! The drum & bass accompaniment will help teach you rhythm, and you can play along with backing tracks through the AUX input. You've got a lot of tone options, too. I picked up a new-in-box G-DEC 3-30 on craigslist and have been building custom presets.

The Jaguars/Jazzmasters/Mustangs also use a shorter scale, some players don't like that, and you can't swap in a regular Tele or Strat neck.

theyre not as popular as those models because most of the guitar industry is about selling talentless stooges the potential to fulfill the rawk dreams they've always had. practically nobody was using these guitars throughout the 70s and most of the 80s.
however as tekno said, they've made a resurgence in the last 10 years, common to see an indie/alt band with at least one of them. they're aren't quite as versatile as a strat or telecaster if you don't know what you're doing, you're not gonna be playing long sustain screaming leads out of the box on a jaguar. it also doesn't help that fender fucks around with the models and pricing tiers for them. for example there isn't an american standard jaguar or jazzmaster, the only american option is the absurdly expensive 65 vintage reissue which is over $2000. the mexican classic players have gibson style bridges which screws with the tremolo system that the original models have. there are buncha $400-500 options like the blacktop models but again, those are frankestein creations with humbuckers and shit.

"The Jaguars/Jazzmasters/Mustangs also use a shorter scale, some players don't like that, and you can't swap in a regular Tele or Strat neck."

Jazzmasters are standard Fender 25.5", but yeah, the scale length is also a hang-up for a lot of people.

sgjackson

I've recently been playing guitar again after having neglected it for years (took lessons for about a year like, eight years ago). Been putting in about 2 hours a day on average - I do an hour of structured practice every day, then if I get the urge (which is often) I'll mess around with learning a song or just mindlessly practicing exercises while I listen to a podcast or watch TV/Youtube. I'm better now than I've ever been, muscle memory came back pretty quickly and the structured practice has done wonders.

This has inspired my mother to pick up her old classical again, but she really wants to get a steel-string acoustic-electric to learn Christian contemporary and 70s/80s pop standards on. She's been looking at Ovations, but I'm wondering if you guys had any suggestions for instruments at around 600 bucks. From my basic research/poking around I've found this Epiphone which actually has a solid back and sides rather than laminate, but I know fuckall about acoustics.

tl;dr recommend me an acoustic/electric for a mix of christian contemporary, 70s/80s pop, and fingerstyle for around 600 bucks

Angry Grimace

I'm planning on keeping my Squier so I can fiddle around with it's parts and electronics. I wanna get a new amp too, but being back in school, I'm running on a lower budget than I normally would be.

Yeah, I dunno what it is. I like my strat well enough, but it doesn't feel like... right(?) in my hands? I went to the guitar shop a couple times, I dunno what it is, but it feels way better and more comfortable in my hand, despite the increased weight.

I'm so terrible at haggling :/

More I've thought about it, the more I think I might wait a while and then sink a bit more money into it. These aren't things I buy often, hahaha.

I'm thinking about going for this:

LesPaulCstmPRO_AW_Splash.jpg

It's $750 CAD. But how on earth would I haggle with these people

I honestly think at that price range you should think about trying to import or buy a Japanese made LP on eBay.

oh wait canadian money I have no idea how that translates haha

What do you guys think of buying Factory Seconds? There's a few Epiphone LP Custom Pros in White on eBay for $625 instead of the standard $750 and the issue is that the binding didn't meet the finish or something. If that's the only issue, is it a good buy?

tl;dr recommend me an acoustic/electric for a mix of christian contemporary, 70s/80s pop, and fingerstyle for around 600 bucks

I would look at the Godin-family (Seagull, Simon and Patrick, etc) for an acoustic. Can get a pickup added to them later for 70-200. Acoustic electrics usually sound like garbage, and you might as well separate the two purchases-- buy an acoustic that she thinks plays and sounds nice then do a price/performance purchase of a pickup afterwards with the money left over.

I would recommend something smaller than a dreadnaught for fingerpicking.

I honestly think at that price range you should think about trying to import or buy a Japanese made LP on eBay.

oh wait canadian money I have no idea how that translates haha

Have done it. Have an '82 Greco that I think cost me about $700 CDN. EDIT: haha, it was $760CDN. Would have been dinged 21% + $5 at the door, too.

While I think it is a great option, the issue is the amount of research required and uncertainty about what you are going to get in terms of weight and neck carve, as compared to the Epiphone he knows he likes.

I would love it if my Greco had a thicker neck and was .5kg lighter. Still, plays really well and sounds great after a small electronics change.

If that's the only issue, is it a good buy?

It is just going to be some amount of uglier when seen from the side.

EDIT:

these are cheaper and seem to be the same guitar, no? (minus color) [Epi 1] [Epi 2]

$20 shipping to Canada is amazing. Likely to be dinged for duty/taxes/brokerage, but you're not going to beat that price.

sgjackson

I would look at the Godin-family (Seagull, Simon and Patrick, etc) for an acoustic. Can get a pickup added to them later for 70-200. Acoustic electrics usually sound like garbage, and you might as well separate the two purchases-- buy an acoustic that she thinks plays and sounds nice then do a price/performance purchase of a pickup afterwards with the money left over.

I would recommend something smaller than a dreadnaught for fingerpicking.

i played a seagull s6 the other day and i was surprised how nice it felt for 400 bucks, and i'm surprised that a company can manufacture guitars in north america and sell them as inexpensively as they do. i'll nudge her this direction, thanks.

I tried to purchase the first one and I got the following totals:

It's too bad they wouldn't use the USPS to ship which would drop the handling charge by $35. -- assuming by handling hey mean brokerage.

So basically $10 more expensive than your factory second.

yowza. apologies on my USA centric thinking!! ask a US person to proxy?

You aren't likely to ship a guitar across the border without a customs inspection, unfortunately. It happens but you shouldn't count on it.

CFMOORE!

It's too bad they wouldn't use the USPS to ship which would drop the handling charge by $35. -- assuming by handling hey mean brokerage.

So basically $10 more expensive than your factory second.

You aren't likely to ship a guitar across the border without a customs inspection, unfortunately. It happens but you shouldn't count on it.

sucks. i can buy that guitar for $434 shipped to my house!

I tried to purchase the first one and I got the following totals:

Yikes

Have you tried thomann.de? I can't personally vouch for the Harley Benton brand, but it seems well-reviewed. Shipping to the US is incredibly cheap ($30 for up to 3 guitars), but I'm not sure what fees are added for Canadians. Here's their Blowout section for single-cut models. Some folks just won't accept anything less than an official Gibson headstock (but are willing to compromise with a Chinese fake or an Epiphone). I personally enjoying finding rough-diamond Squiers and upgrading them into great players, but I'm also starting to warm to lesser-known non-Fender brands.

sucks. i can buy that guitar for $434 shipped to my house!

fkLF9.jpg

Have you tried thomann.de? I can't personally vouch for the Harley Benton brand, but it seems well-reviewed. Shipping to the US is incredibly cheap ($30 for up to 3 guitars), but I'm not sure what fees are added for Canadians. Here's their Blowout section for single-cut models. Some folks just won't accept anything less than an official Gibson headstock (but are willing to compromise with a Chinese fake or an Epiphone). I personally enjoying finding rough-diamond Squiers and upgrading them into great players, but I'm also starting to warm to lesser-known non-Fender brands.

Haven't tried Thomann. I'll keep an eye and see if anything strikes my fancy. I dunno, once I get a thought in my head about what I want, it doesn't leave or change easily, haha.

Xun

Harley Benton guitars are pretty decent actually!

I was generally pretty impressed with the quality when a guy from work bought one.

For reference he bought one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm

Lan Dong Mik

Damn, playing electric over these last few days has blown my mind. Learning for 3 or so years on acoustic has done wonders. Holding down these strings ain't shit! Being able to listen to rock/metal songs that are mostly played with power chords and play along to them without reading the tabs or looking up a youtube video has been fucking awesome.

Why aren't there more -casters out there?

Like, you know, Fender first had the Broadcaster, which changed to The Telecaster in the 50s, then they come out with the Stratocaster in the 60s. They should have made a new guitar and named it something relevant to each decade.

Maybe the 90s guitar could have been the Digicaster. The 80s guitar could have been the Paracaster. The 70s guitar could have been the Psychecaster.

After much thought, I've put my lust for the Les Paul aside for now.

I still want it, but I realized that me and my Strat? We're just starting to gel. I mean, there's still an entire world to explore with that. Getting a better guitar will not make me a better guitarist.

No, I'll use this year to save up money and thoroughly improve my skills (justinguitar woooooo) and become worthy of getting my guitar soulmate, whatever type it will eventually be. Besides, waiting a year will let me have a bigger budget for the guitar and a new amp!

Don't forget the Starcaster!

MnJm7GZ.jpg

Awesome. There's an entire world of casters at our fingertips!

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, and I had a hella Christmas for for new guitar acquisitions, so I thought I'd share...

First, this came up for sale locally and I grabbed it, as I'd always wanted one :

FsLy2gW.jpg

N54kcds.jpg

A 2012 PRS Hollowbody II Singlecut 10 Top in Solana Burst, with 57/08 pickups and probably the best sounding piezo pickup you'll ever hear in an electric guitar. It's just a stunningly beautiful and inspirational guitar and weighs in at 5 lb. 8 oz.

A few days later, a local shop put this on sale for less than the price of an S2 and I just couldn't say no to :

SxEtX5O.jpg

NVHN9iT.jpg

NOS original version 2011 Starla with the B-5 Bigsby, original Starla pickups and a typically wonderful setup from this shop... It's a crazy fun guitar to play and I love the pickups. 6 lb. 11 oz. (with a 10 ounce Bigsby attached!)

And then my wife presented me with this for Christmas (courtesy The Guitar Shop in Mississauga) :

l9xsoZp.jpg

f1P5aKA.jpg

2007 PRS McCarty with gold hardware, moons and a one piece top... Minty condition, like it's never been played... and it weighs in at 7 lb. 4 oz.

Three killer guitars... I'm a damned lucky guitarist! :D

Now... I know... Just last page I wasn't gonna buy a guitar till the end of the year, but I was passing through a music shop and I just asked if they had any used Les Paul Custom Pros.

A new Custom Pro is $830, taxes included. They had a used one in their location in Alberta for $429 + taxes and shipping, with a final total of $500. I just could not pass up on the best deal for this guitar I'd come across. While I wanted an Alpine White, they only had an Ebony, but at that amazing price, I'm fine with it. The Ebony looks gorgeous. Now I just hope that it feels right and good in my hands. Apparently there's a few belt buckle scratches on the back and a light scratch on the headstock, but it's solid and plays well other than that. $330 savings is pretty good for a great guitar. Hope I didn't make a mistake with the blind buy!

I'll receive it next week.

Top Bottom