• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Scottify

Crap, I didn't even know about this thread! I've been playing guitar for a bit over 30 years, bass for just a bit less than that and drums for about 3 years now.

I'm mostly a metal guy but I love most styles of music really. Anything with a good beat or groovy bassline I'm all over.

Here are some pics of my guitars. Apologies if they're too big, I don't know how to resize them here.

This is my PRS SE Custom 24, an Ibanez RG3EX1 and an Ibanez RG7321 seven string.
VRB46Vb.jpg

This is my old Ibanez SR405 5 string bass & G-K 400RB amp.

These are my two newest finds. An Ibanez RG3XXV I scored off of eBay and my new Ibanez SRFF806 fanned fret 6 string. Amazing bass.

rObit

Banned
Good to see this thread got some bumps with the holidays :)

My new guitar for the season is a 7-string Legator Opus. It's actually a fairly dark transparent red, but I can never get that finish to come out right in pictures. I have the same problem with a Jackson that has a similar finish. Anyway, it's a b-stock guitar so I was able to get it new for around $270, and the guitar usually goes for $550 or so. After spending a lot of time looking over it, there's only a couple very small things that I can see that might make it b-stock. There's what looks like a slight splotch on the finish (can be seen in the picture, under the bridge), and there's a small ding on the bridge pickup. I'm totally happy with it though, it's a really fun guitar.

And with the other guitars that I have with me at the moment:

I only use Couch straps and have since like 2005 or so. Great company, comfortable, well-made straps that actually have some style without being gawdy and over the top. The only ones I wouldn't recommend personally are the seat belt straps, because seat belts are far from comfortable and a strap made from a seat belt lugging 7-10 lbs on your shoulder is even more uncomfortable.

What are your guys' thoughts on the Marshall MG50DFX Combo amp? Found one on sale for $170.

I hate feeling like I'm monopolizing the conversation, but at least I'll bump it up. I'm not really a Marshall guy as I've spent more time with Fender amps, but that sounds like a good price. Seems well reviewed. I would wonder if you need a 50W amp? I think it's not so much that high-wattage amps are so much louder at the top end (other things being equal, a 50W amp is only twice as loud as a 10W; I say "only," but that's still LOUD), but they might be too loud even at the lower numbers. I have a 40W Fender Princeton 112 that I literally cannot play because I can't turn it past 1. Make sure you play through it before buying!

I was at my guitar store tonight getting a tone pot and someone had dropped off a beautiful 1999 PRS, but I didn't have a spare $5K to pick it up. Gave me GAS, though, so I searched craigslist and made an offer on a pedal. Poor substitute, but what can you do?

CFMOORE!

What are your guys' thoughts on the Marshall MG50DFX Combo amp? Found one on sale for $170.

i would say save a little and get a smaller affordable tube amp. my first amp was a marshall solid state with a tube preamp, and while i thought it sounded really good, when i plugged into tube amps, my world changed.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
i would say save a little and get a smaller affordable tube amp. my first amp was a marshall solid state with a tube preamp, and while i thought it sounded really good, when i plugged into tube amps, my world changed.

100% agree. I picked up an Epiphone Valve Junior a few years ago for under £100 which I still use as my main recording amp; strikes me that these would be great beginner amps. The quality of tone and dynamic response you get for the money are remarkable.

And here she is...

img_20160113_23542726khxm3.jpg

A few smudges here and there (easily cleaned). A hairline scratch on the headstock. Minor belt buckle marks on the backside. A steal at $430 (New price is $750). And you know what, she feels absolutely perfect in my hands. Heavier, more comfortable. The sound through my G-Dec is so much nicer compared to my Squier Strat.

This is a goddamned beautiful guitar.

Depends really on what kind of music you wanna play really. The distortion is kind of crap on the MG series(its solid state).

Speaking from experience, I used to have an MG250DFX which was the 2x12 version of the mg50. The cleans were nice but the distortion just did not cut it at all, especially not for metal imo. I ended up using the clean channel on it and putting pedals in front of it.

If you're a beginner it should be fine, however, I'd look for a tube amp if possible(only if you can play it loud, you want to be able to drive tubes to get the best sound out of them).

Thanks guys!

Didn't get much time to mess around last night, but did fiddle with the coil tapping, which is pretty darn cool. So you can pull and push three of the knobs and get it to put out a single coil sound instead of the smooth humbucker sound. Very cool.

This is pretty rad, my workmate friend just gifted me a Behringer Xenyx302USB after I showed him my Les Paul. He brought in his Gibson LPJ, and my gosh that's rad as fuck.

He's actually a guitar teacher and legit amazing player, so he's got a lot of his own gear, and this was an older one gathering dust.

No idea how to use it, but I really do appreciate it.

Scottify

That's a really good device for interfacing into a computer. If you have a Mac you should be able to connect it via USB and right into Garage Band for recording or practing to a metronome or what have you.

If you have a PC their site may have some free software, drivers and a manual to use. Behringer

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man, I need an AMP, bad. Been playing my Epiphone 339 pro through Guitar Rig with my PC speakers which go loud and sound great when I'm playing alone, but I'm so fucking terrible at adjusting it to the right volume when I'm playing with my drummer friend. I hate sounding terrible. Feels shitty man.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decently priced amp just for some household playing, but goes loud enough to play with a drummer? The kind of music or tone I'm looking for is similar to Queens of the Stone Age, Yawning Man, Explosions in the Sky, Russian Circles. Something under 300 preferably. I need to look into some pedals too.

Scottify

I've heard good things about the new Fender Champion. A friend of mine uses it for practice and gigging and loves it. They have a 100w, 40w & 20w. The 100w is $329 and is a 2x12 combo amp. It's high on my list. Fender Champion 100w

MilShap

Been wanting to post in here since my membership went through. Been playing now for about 18 years. Some cool gear throughout this thread. Here are a few of my kin
FXkhSSGl.jpg

C98VYisl.jpg

This is my main guitar for the moment. Godin Velocity, all stock except for bone nut. Great guitar, so good i bought another one, both were around $400 used.

RggprsNl.jpg

Just picked this up at the Texas Guitar Show, $350 brand new, could use some better pickups and some shielding but other than that feels real good.

j31nddCl.jpg

Godin MultiAC Nylon string electric with roland synth access. I have a couple of the 80s roland guitar synths. Cant bring myself to drop the cash on the newer versions yet.

Man, I need an AMP, bad. Been playing my Epiphone 339 pro through Guitar Rig with my PC speakers which go loud and sound great when I'm playing alone, but I'm so fucking terrible at adjusting it to the right volume when I'm playing with my drummer friend. I hate sounding terrible. Feels shitty man.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decently priced amp just for some household playing, but goes loud enough to play with a drummer? The kind of music or tone I'm looking for is similar to Queens of the Stone Age, Yawning Man, Explosions in the Sky, Russian Circles. Something under 300 preferably. I need to look into some pedals too.

dont cheap out on an amp, in that price range your choices tend be limited to solid states which you dont want unless its a roland jazz chorus. fender blues juniors can be had for around 400 on reverb.com, small and lightweight while being plenty loud.

This 5W tube amp won't keep up with a drummer on its own, but is plenty loud enough for bedroom jamming and lets you learn how to control amp breakup and how your guitar volume + tone + tubes can shape your sound.

Use code 1STDOWN to bring the cost down to $92.49, shipped: Monoprice 5W

The 15W with reverb would be $206.99. I've heard a few complaints about the reverb, but there's a simple mod to solve the problem. Both amps have Celestion speakers and can be connected to an external speaker cabinet.

I only use Couch straps and have since like 2005 or so. Great company, comfortable, well-made straps that actually have some style without being gawdy and over the top. The only ones I wouldn't recommend personally are the seat belt straps, because seat belts are far from comfortable and a strap made from a seat belt lugging 7-10 lbs on your shoulder is even more uncomfortable.

Yo, Tek is right on these. I got my straps today (burgundy/white and yellow/black). Attached the burgundy one to my Les Paul (with Gold Schaller Strap Locks to match, natch). Man, this strap is super comfortable and looks sharp as hell with my guitar. Not only is it comfortable, it feels really tough.

Quick, kinda crappy picture, but:

img_20160118_18273799f0yg7.jpg

You can't really see the gold strap locks in this shot, but they look great. Loving how the burgundy/white contrasts with the black/gold.

Lan Dong Mik

This 5W tube amp won't keep up with a drummer on its own, but is plenty loud enough for bedroom jamming and lets you learn how to control amp breakup and how your guitar volume + tone + tubes can shape your sound.

Use code 1STDOWN to bring the cost down to $92.49, shipped: Monoprice 5W

The 15W with reverb would be $206.99. I've heard a few complaints about the reverb, but there's a simple mod to solve the problem. Both amps have Celestion speakers and can be connected to an external speaker cabinet.

dont cheap out on an amp, in that price range your choices tend be limited to solid states which you dont want unless its a roland jazz chorus. fender blues juniors can be had for around 400 on reverb.com, small and lightweight while being plenty loud.

Right on, thanks guys!! I seriously appreciate the advice. I'm thinking I need to just take a grand or so from my tax return and buy something I'll be happy with for a long time.

Right on, thanks guys!! I seriously appreciate the advice. I'm thinking I need to just take a grand or so from my tax return and buy something I'll be happy with for a long time.

Don't spend that much. I recently read some good things about the Silkyn Super 50. There's a couple other eBay results for it. I've seen some offers of under $200 go through. It's an amp from a company founded by a Gibson executive, but it went under pretty fast. I was tempted, but I really have no reason for such a loud amp.

eBay and craigslist are your best friends when it comes to amps, particularly for tubes. They're big and heavy and, unlike guitars, you actually can have too many. Boutique and hand-built amps can also be a great deal, because people simply don't know the brand. Unless you're buying vintage, a few hundred bucks will get you all you need.

Lan Dong Mik

Thanks again for the suggestions guys!

Been doing a ton of research and I was thinking of picking this Marshall DSL40CST up. I've read some reviews and watched some youtube vids on it. Reading a ton of positive impressions, though one review said the cleans sound a bit dull. It's listed for 699.00 on Sweetwater. Leaves me about 300 to work with when it comes to a few pedals. Wanted to see if you guys have any thoughts or have any impressions on it before I purchase it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSL40CST

That's a very well-reviewed amp, and the one I would pick if I were in the market for a Marshall. Is there a reason you're buying new? You can find it much cheaper on reverb.com (though shipping will chip away at that), and there are several on my own local craigslist for even less, and that's before dickering. A used amp also has the advantage of probably being already "broken in" and having a nicer tone than brand-new. Or, it's also almost unplayed and is being dumped because it's too goddamn loud.

An Orange 35RT is also a nice choice.

Have you considered a cabinet + head?

the marshall dsl40 is decent but the fender combo amps in that price range are better buys and are more suited to pedals.

easier to dirty up a clean amp than clean up a dirty amp.

Lan Dong Mik

That's a very well-reviewed amp, and the one I would pick if I were in the market for a Marshall. Is there a reason you're buying new? You can find it much cheaper on reverb.com (though shipping will chip away at that), and there are several on my own local craigslist for even less, and that's before dickering. A used amp also has the advantage of probably being already "broken in" and having a nicer tone than brand-new. Or, it's also almost unplayed and is being dumped because it's too goddamn loud.

An Orange 35RT is also a nice choice.

Have you considered a cabinet + head?

Yeah I'm buying new because I'm putting this on a sweetwater Credit Card. I'm going to just pay it off in March, but I'm impatient and need an amp now, just don't quite have the funds for it yet. That's good info to know about new vs used, I had no idea about that possible issue happening with a brand new amp. I hadn't really considered a cab+head really only because I guess it seemed a bit too complicated, but I've done zero research on it, so it's something I'm definitely willing to look into now.

I was looking at a few orange amps as well!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CR120C

I was reading about this one here, but damn the one you listed is waaaaay cheaper haha. I absolutely LOVE the look and sound of an orange amp.

the marshall dsl40 is decent but the fender combo amps in that price range are better buys and are more suited to pedals.

easier to dirty up a clean amp than clean up a dirty amp.

Ah okay, great information!! I was looking at some of the Fender amps too, and I'll definitely be needing some reverb and delay pedals too so I'll be keeping this in mind. Not making any purchases yet but I'm going to be researching shit all day.

Scottify

Here's my very first guitar. Bought for me when I first started learning to play back in 1984. Through the years I've bought and sold many guitars but never this one. Do any of you still have your first guitar, or is it long since gone?

6CVRAOM.jpg

So I live in Japan and I got my hands on a vintage natural wood Aria 1980 TS600 with minor bumps and scratches and original parts.

Anyone know how much it would sell for in the states? I'm seriously considering starting a vintage guitar export business of my own and I want to test the waters with this baby. I know so-called "lawsuit" guitars are in demand.

I'm seriously considering starting a vintage guitar export business of my own and I want to test the waters with this baby. I know so-called "lawsuit" guitars are in demand.

There are a number of well-known eBay stores selling Japanese guitars internationally— presumably you could just see what their markup is over the local prices.

blackjaw

Been playing for about 21 years now.

My little corner.

I also have a Vox AC15C1 and various pedals in the garage, but this is what I use 99% of the time.

Fender Classic 60's Telecaster - Walrus Audio Harvester - Mr. Black Doublechorus - Boss DD7 - Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master - Orange 35RT

cWRpWgSh.jpg

HDIji1Gh.jpg

blackjaw

^ I love the Classic series. I would take one over an American Standard any day.

Yeah I've had it a few years now but I A/B'd it with numerous American Standard and American Special models (since they are all basically in the same price range give or take 200) and the Classic series more than held its own...had such a nice feel to it that I had to take one home.

I would love to get my hands on an AVRI 64, felt so good and sounded lovely...but slightly more than I am willing to pay for a daily player.

If someone stole my Classic 60's or if my 2 year old broke it, I'd buy another.

Scottify

Love that Tele. I've had one on my list for quite some time now.

How do you like that Orange amp? I'm looking to pick up a new replacement amp.

blackjaw

Love that Tele. I've had one on my list for quite some time now.

How do you like that Orange amp? I'm looking to pick up a new replacement amp.

TLDR: Love it, super affordable, its a keeper. Like the guitar, I'd replace it if my 2 year old spilled something on it or if it fell out of my car.

I have a Vox AC15C1 in the garage that was just too loud to play inside (two small kids under 3), so I bought a Vox AC4C1 for inside use. It was ok but still needed volume to not sound boxy and small.

I bought the 35RT because it has a headphone input and has a decent speaker emulation. At night I plug in some AKG's and go to town and nobody hears anything. What I was really surprised at though was how great it sounds at low volume and how BIG it sounds when you start pushing the volume.

Clean channel works amazingly with pedals. Dirty channel doesn't need any pedals, it gets super dirty if you want (like a nice light jazz at its lowest to classic rock all the way up to an almost russian fuzz sound...very brutal if you want).

I'm a huge tube amp fan, love the sound of warm tubes pushing air, but I just cant do that all the time anymore, I needed something versatile. The way the gain works on the dirty channel is just uncanny how 'real' it feels and sounds.

Reverb on the amp works very well, spring-like. Tuner is sufficient, I actually put my polytune mini away to keep things tidy and because the onboard tuner is pretty functional (only downside is having to be on the clean channel with volume on). I haven't used the effects loop yet.

I got the 35RT over the 20RT because I wanted something that could play with a drummer for jamming and was lighter than my AC15 (~25lbs compared to ~50lbs). The 20RT has the exact same sound (I used both over the course of a few weeks at guitar center) and is cheaper but you definitely get more volume out of the 35RT's bigger speaker. Guys on other guitar forums are using the 35RT to gig and I can definitely see why, its light and sounds fantastic.

Sobriquet

Yeah I've had it a few years now but I A/B'd it with numerous American Standard and American Special models (since they are all basically in the same price range give or take 200) and the Classic series more than held its own...had such a nice feel to it that I had to take one home.

I would love to get my hands on an AVRI 64, felt so good and sounded lovely...but slightly more than I am willing to pay for a daily player.

If someone stole my Classic 60's or if my 2 year old broke it, I'd buy another.

Yeah the American Vintage line are a bit too rich for my blood, but damn if they aren't nice. I have a Classic '70s Strat and I like it/play it more than my American Jaguar. FWIW, all the wood on the Classics are cut and shaped in the USA then shipped to Mexico for assembly.

I was looking at those Orange solid states too. I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb but it's almost too much amp for my house. I don't see how people have half stacks and shit in their bedroom.

Scottify

TLDR: Love it, super affordable, its a keeper. Like the guitar, I'd replace it if my 2 year old spilled something on it or if it fell out of my car.

I have a Vox AC15C1 in the garage that was just too loud to play inside (two small kids under 3), so I bought a Vox AC4C1 for inside use. It was ok but still needed volume to not sound boxy and small.

I bought the 35RT because it has a headphone input and has a decent speaker emulation. At night I plug in some AKG's and go to town and nobody hears anything. What I was really surprised at though was how great it sounds at low volume and how BIG it sounds when you start pushing the volume.

Clean channel works amazingly with pedals. Dirty channel doesn't need any pedals, it gets super dirty if you want (like a nice light jazz at its lowest to classic rock all the way up to an almost russian fuzz sound...very brutal if you want).

I'm a huge tube amp fan, love the sound of warm tubes pushing air, but I just cant do that all the time anymore, I needed something versatile. The way the gain works on the dirty channel is just uncanny how 'real' it feels and sounds.

Reverb on the amp works very well, spring-like. Tuner is sufficient, I actually put my polytune mini away to keep things tidy and because the onboard tuner is pretty functional (only downside is having to be on the clean channel with volume on). I haven't used the effects loop yet.

I got the 35RT over the 20RT because I wanted something that could play with a drummer for jamming and was lighter than my AC15 (~25lbs compared to ~50lbs). The 20RT has the exact same sound (I used both over the course of a few weeks at guitar center) and is cheaper but you definitely get more volume out of the 35RT's bigger speaker. Guys on other guitar forums are using the 35RT to gig and I can definitely see why, its light and sounds fantastic.

Awesome, thanks man. I'm in a situation like yours, where I need to be concerned about volume. I've been looking at the Roland Jazz Chorus 40 that recently came out, mostly because I need something that works with pedals. I'll definitely give Orange another look.

blackjaw

Yeah the American Vintage line are a bit too rich for my blood, but damn if they aren't nice. I have a Classic '70s Strat and I like it/play it more than my American Jaguar.
I was looking at those Orange solid states too. I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb but it's almost too much amp for my house. I don't see how people have half stacks and shit in their bedroom.

I keep looking at Classic series Strats...really want one, probably my next guitar purchase.

Yeah I have friends that have JCMs hooked to 4x12s in their dining rooms...its just too much!

Awesome, thanks man. I'm in a situation like yours, where I need to be concerned about volume. I've been looking at the Roland Jazz Chorus 40 that recently came out, mostly because I need something that works with pedals. I'll definitely give Orange another look.

Definitely worth a look for lower volumes or headphone playing,

It's so good with pedals; modulation usually works well with SS but dirt is hit or miss. I've used about a dozen different dirt pedals (from Klones to Fuzz) with the 20RT and 35RT when I was looking and they all sounded great. From my Harvester, EQD Palisades, Timmy, OCD, BD2, Fuzz Factory and Walrus Jupiter and all work well.

I'd still recommend trying one out to make sure it's what you want but it has my highest recommendations.

Formless

I put in some EMG 57/66 pickups in my ESP and put the old 81/60 in my Ibanez RG120. Pretty good and now the latter guitar actually sounds alright.

Sobriquet

Oh man I forgot about the new Jazz Chorus. Want want want. *plays some Cure*

so fender is replacing the american deluxe line with the american elite series

fender_2016_american_elite_stratocaster_rw_guitar_-_tobacco_sunburst_-_main.jpg

what the hell is that truss rod placement, looks ugly as shit. i love fenders more than any other brand but man do i hate the direction they've been going the last couple years.

what the hell is that truss rod placement, looks ugly as shit. i love fenders more than any other brand but man do i hate the direction they've been going the last couple years.

That's not a new way of doing the truss rod, though— Ernie Ball Music Man guitars have done it that way for ages.

I think it makes sense to make a line of modern guitars with modern functional changes.

Pry my '54RI out of cold dead hands.
hmm ... it has a five-way switch.

Top Bottom