• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guru Logi Champ (GBA) - What is it?

FoneBone

I've seen some rather effusive praise for the game in various threads, but I can't find much of any information about it. Aside from the screens on VGMuseum.com, pretty much all I know about it is that it's a puzzle game. Can anyone provide some more info? I'm curious.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
What is it? Only one of the most essential games for GBA, and very possibly one of the greatest and most expansive puzzle games for any system. (How's that for effusive)

The premise is deceptively simple -- you're given a grid with a number of blocks placed on it, a stock of your own blocks, and a cannon with which you can shoot out your stock, or suck them back in. You're limited to moving left and right at the bottom edge of your grid, but the entire grid itself can be rotated (guru) 90 degrees at any time. The object is to place all of your blocks into pre-determined positions around the grid by knocking them into other blocks, piling up, rotating, and then taking away walls for them to rest against, and in general building up and tearing down patterns to get blocks in places you're amazed you could get them to by simply shooting in a straight line. Once you've placed all of your stock, the grid peels away and reveals some sort of iconic picture of like a bear, or a sheriff's badge, or a pile of poop, etc.

Later courses add new challenges like spring blocks -- which shoot your fired block straight back into your cannon -- and free-moving blocks which advance one space in the grid when you hit them with your own.

There are hundreds and hundreds of puzzles available in the game, and at least a handful are guaranteed to make you tear your hair out by the roots. I don't know anyone that's 100% completed the game, and we've been playing for at least 2 years now. That's why I say 'expansive.'

Anyway, talk is cheap -- you can download a PC demo and try it out for yourself. Give it a go at http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~minaduki/kikaku/kikaku/01/file/gururoji_mVer.zip and then do yourself a huge favor and track it down at all costs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The character design reminds me of Kuru Kuru Kururin/Kururin Paradise. And it is called "Guru" which is almost "Kuru". I'm probably stretching it. :p

Kiriku said:
The character design reminds me of Kuru Kuru Kururin/Kururin Paradise. And it is called "Guru" which is almost "Kuru". I'm probably stretching it. :p

Well it sure aint a stretch to say that all 3 KICK FUCKING ASS!

Also, Brandon forgot to mention the rub, which is that the game is almost impossible to find. :(

Also, Brandon, re: 100%ing it.. Brendan and Jim are in a close race, with Brendan about 20 ahead. He was at 280 before leaving for his band's latest west coast tour about a month ago, and just got back home last night, so it's very possible that he finished it off while on the road. Last I checked it was taking him 2-3 days to complete a single puzzle, but who knows. He is truly the master of the 100%, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled it off somehow.

There's actually a copy on Yahoo Auctions Japan right now with an opening bid of 100 yen (under $1) and what I think is a buy-it-now price of 2800 yen. Check out www.akibado.com - they'll win the auction for you and ship it to you for a small fee. It's definitely worth checking out. You might even be able to score the game for less than the price of a US GBA game after shipping, if the 100 yen price sticks.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/69776541

ferricide

hrm, i'll keep an eye out for this in akiba.

buh, i hate that sort of character art at this point. it's so goddamn played out. not that this would stop me from playing it, but...

Top Bottom