• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Runs In To Puppy-Sized Spider In The Rainforest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

At least its not this

4775-1-1325092244.jpg

Mlatador

Banned
Picture's highly exaggerated, it's not much larger than most Tarantulas and it's quite a popular spider for home terrariums.

Thing's not rare, horribly dangerous or ginormous in the slightest.

Theraphosa_blondi_3_foto.jpg

That's it.

The truth. The pics in the op are just camera angle tricks.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I want one, or a couple of those.

Picture's highly exaggerated, it's not much larger than most Tarantulas and it's quite a popular spider for home terrariums.

That's it.

The one in the OP is a whole lot bushier though, so I'd imagine that it's still bigger than the one in your pic.

That's it.
Even at a deceptive angle the one in the op is clearly larger, just going by its proportions.

ST2K

Ok, I'm not an arachnophobe, but this creeps me out.
...because of its gargantuan size, the Goliath birdeater is probably the only spider in the world that makes noise as it walks. Its feet have hardened tips and claws that produce a very distinct, clicking sound, not unlike that of a horse’s hooves hitting the ground

From the other thread.

If that wasn’t enough, the arachnid would rear its front legs and open its enormous fangs, capable of puncturing a mouse’s skull, and tried to jab me with the pointy implements.

I read this in the tune of Hotel California.

That's it.

It's the large spiders to don't have to worry about. It's the small spider that fuck you over.

GhaleonEB

The largest spider is in vietnam or china or something actually:

Poecilotheria Rajaei (shit name tbh) look it up.
Perhaps you should? :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilotheria_rajaei

The spider has a leg span of up to 20 centimetres (8 in)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_birdeater

These spiders can have a leg span of up to 28 cm (11 in)

The Goliath is second largest in terms of leg span to the giant huntsman, apparently.

Pyccko

No, don't click it. You can resist, man. You know what's gonna happen if you go in that thread.

FUCKIN SHIT

Slevin

I own a Theraphosa stirmi which is very close to the blondi pictured in the article. If I'm lucky she will get to around a 10" diagonal leg span, any other Theraphosa genera that gets larger than that is rare. Their venom is actually not nearly as potent as a lot of the other tarantulas, especially compared to the Poecilotheria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom