• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Runs In To Puppy-Sized Spider In The Rainforest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonng

41JPxNk.gif

I used to see some pretty huge tarantulas in arizona when it would rain, they'd come out, some of them looked almost as big as dinner plates. Or I could have just been terrified and thought they looked that big, but they were huge alright.

rexor0717

These large spiders freak me out less for some reason. I'd lose my shit still, but less than I would if it was something slightly less big.

This is adorable. That snake is adorable. Everything non-human posted in this thread is absolutely fascinating.

I don't get the majority of GAF sometimes.

I clicked the thread cause I was curious
know thy enemy

But that thing may be the result of genetic manipulation...and now I'm afraid to go outside

IT HAS FANGS THAT CAN PENETRATE A (very small) MAMMALS SKULL!!

MIMIC

Banned
I don't know why that image freaked me out, lol. When I was a kid, my church had this animal program at night where they brought all these wild animals for us to see (snakes, tarantulas, etc.). I held one of the tarantulas in my hand. It was creepy, but fun.

Nope. NOPE.

I was shocked to learn that there are tarantulas where I live. I was on a run in the hills behind Stanford and was surprised to see a 4" diameter Tarantula crossing the path.

DemiMatt

At least its not this

Dark Souls 2 says Hello.

But really, it was probably a smaller version of Jba Fofi AKA Congolese Spider
Unfortunately these fall under the category Cryptozoology so it is not 100% concrete that they do exist, but there are villages and truly believe giant spiders (tarantulas to be more exact) exist. Some build their huts to protect against them and claim they can be as large as a really big dog, capable of eating other large dogs and smaller humans. I did some research and found a documentary on Monster Hunters and alas there was nothing conclusive. But in theory they do exist, so be fearful gaf.... be Fearful.

Mupod

I love really big spiders like this, hell I had a tarantula when I was younger. My brother was into exotic pets for a while in the 90s and wasn't one for thinking ahead, so I ended up inheriting her when he moved out. Had to give her away, because she happened to somehow escape while I was at school. The terrarium was on my computer desk and my mom needed to print something, do the math.

Being Canadian most of the spiders around here are tiny and harmless. Only ones I hate are dock spiders, which are fuck huge and...well, live on docks. After a few barefoot encounters with those I really am not a fan of them.

The spiders you have to be scared of are the small poisonous ones you cannot see until it's too late, like the Black Widow.

I find tarantulas actually quite charming.

There's also a huge spider over here, the chick eating spider (araña pollera) that's as big as a grown mans hand. They call them that because, well, they're big enough to eat hens.

I was once bitten by one while playing hide and seek and hiding under a car. For a second it felt like I had a very hairy hand on my back. When it bit me it felt like a human bite and almost ripped a hole in the skin from one jaw to the other.

DemiMatt

There's also a huge spider over here, the chick eating spider (araña pollera) that's as big as a grown mans hand. They call them that because, well, they're big enough to eat hens.

I was once bitten by one while playing hide and seek and hiding under a car. For a second it felt like I had a very hairy hand on my back. When it bit me it felt like a human bite and almost ripped a hole in the skin from one jaw to the other.

You mean this thing?

Chicken-eating-spider.jpg

People keep T Blondis as pets though, which is interesting, although they aren't as big as seen in OP's post.

Their leg span are huge, but Giant Huntsmen Spiders have longer leg spans, but smaller torso bodies.

As someone who was terrified of spiders as a child, I find both snakes and spiders fascinating today.

When a huntsman spider gets into my house, I take it outside, in the entrance or garden area instead, where it won't bother too much and hopefully won't starve either, since moths often get in there as well. And so it doesn't kill the local (smaller) house spider bro.

Always keep your Spider bros/gals safe, and they will keep your house safe of other bugs too! I rarely have any bug problem other than having to clean up after a spider bro in a few of the rooms, lol. :)

Jaeger

OP's pics have the guys hands all the way back and not next to the spider. And in no way is it the size of a "small dog", unless we are talking fucking tea cup yorkie. lol

This is the coolest tarantula, though. Look at that pretty ass coloring. And as young, they have a wonderful blue color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom