• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

I think he will in the fall. Though that could just be me reading too many hype posts on Kanyetothe.

I'll also say Pilot Talk 3 and doesn't Alchemist have something coming up?

PT3 is April 4 and that Alchemist album was leaked on some retailer iirc. May it was I think, if actually legit.

XBP

This is pretty dope. I can't get into his work proper but I like his stuff from time to time and definitely appreciate his work.

I can understand why his work would be unappealing to people but its hard to deny that he always puts a lot of effort in his music and has been doing it for over 15 years now.

What other releases or potential releases are you guys hyped for in 2015? We still got Kanye in a month or two. Anything else?

The ones mentioned above and NAS, Tech N9ne and Pusha T. Also very excited for some other strange music projects (Ces Cru, Murs, Mayday) but that just might be me in this thread lol.

Jay Electronica and Jay Rock too, if they ever release their albums that is.

What other releases or potential releases are you guys hyped for in 2015? We still got Kanye in a month or two. Anything else?

Kanye,Game,50 cent,Raekwon,DMX,Hopsin,Jadakiss,Jay Rock

grinch-icon.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Also, James Blake, Jamie xx, King Push, Meow The Jewels
New James Blake is monumental for me. Same goes for Frank Ocean. I don't really have tabs on what's coming out this year tho...been in too deep in the soundcloud/bandcamp universe to keep up.

overcast

That's too bad. I don't think he's the type of rapper to ever reach high levels of critical acclaim. I don't think he needs it though.
I agree. Don't see what he can do about that though.

He's saying things like his fans opinions are the only ones that matter but he's mentioned it a few times. Makes it seem like it did hit him hard.

This is gonna be a good year.

New Frank Ocean this year too?

Frank has been doing a lot of collaborations (like with Beyonce, and soon Chance The Rapper) silently since his first album released. He dropped a track from his new album last fall, so it should be coming out sometime this year.

that's wack. great artists don't care about reviews. I don't like seeing danny brown and bronson crying about fantano and shit.

same goes for kanye and grammys, that's not cool.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I get wanting critical validation for your art. It's just a shame to see so much importance placed on a few who just happen to be put on a pedestal due to their popularity. So many other voices are out there, just as deserving to be heard.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't really care about music sales. It's mildly interesting as a metric for an artist's popularity, but it's really nothing. It's not like videogames where bad sales can destroy a publisher, or a studio, or a series u like. It might suck in the moment for the particular artists but in this day and age they can continue making music as long as they'd like. Trinidad got dropped by his label and went on to drop one of the best mixtapes of the year so far.

overcast

Well if an album (by a person on a major label) underperforms that can mean an artist is put under strict guidance on what goes on an album. May lead to less personal control. Because the artist may not know how to sell a record, but of course the labels sure do!

I can see why many care about reviews. They don't read forums, they see tweets and reviews. All of those fans can love em, but it seems like more underground/low key musicians feel they need the critical adoration too.

Reviews may lead to slightly higher sales too.
Though I think reviews are far less important in music than in games/movies as far as leading to more commercial success. That's a whole nother convo.

overcast

Mau ®;157672816 said:
BBHMM is #1.

Esch and Overcast were right. As per.
Saw some of the girls I follow on Twitter going crazy about it, I'm sure I'll hear it a ton. It's an okay bop.

My least favorite part about Only One may be the fact that we got such an uninspired video directed by Spike Jonze. Waste.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
dame is a douche and kanye is delusional (and vice versa)....... but not for nothing I think they can make the karmaloop thing work if they both stay in their lane of designing (kanye) and Marketing (dame)

We got to see who they hire to run the day to day operations (hopefully somebody qualified). Operations isn't either of their strengths. But if they can hire somebody to keep the puters, putin and the shippers, shipping (and not fuck over their vendors) I think they can make it work.

when you look into it Karmaloop was a successful business that failed because the owners tried and failed to expand into other ventures to quickly and that affected the companies overall bottom line which put them into debt.

Keep in mind all of that requires both men to have some perspective on their business sense and admitting their weaknesses so its far from a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom