• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's more Bones, for sure, but it's nice. I still enjoy his style and of course, that production is amazing as always. Greaf, Fifty Grand, Cat Soup, drk, hnrk...these guys are killin it.

lawnchair

Banned
really, at the time, i never thought that "it's bigger than hip-hop" was really associated with chappelles show .. most people i know didnt even realize that was the opening song.

but yes, if everyone just played that song five times a day the world would be a better place end of story.

overcast

I don't see how Dead Prez would do more in this climate than what they did in the past? They are a low key rap group, there are a lot of socially conscious underground rappers in this day.

lawnchair

Banned
I don't see how Dead Prez would do more in this climate than what they did in the past? They are a low key rap group, there are a lot of socially conscious underground rappers in this day.

the obvious answer is that they would unify the hood under I CHING banners.

I was listening to the Jaun Epstein show's Salaam Remi interview earlier today and he made an interesting comment/comparison about Nas. He said that the label wanted a mainstream first single for God's Son to continue the momentum of the Ether/Stillmatic momentum. The suggestion was basically for a poppy Ashanti feature song. Instead Nas went with Made You Look, which became a club hit and got mainstream play as well.

Basically Remi's argument was that Nas chose to double down on his brand instead of aiming for short term success, and it's one of the reasons he's still around today. Interesting I had just heard Nas' manager make a similar argument, and compared him to Ja Rule and DMX; both were huge at one point but fell off the face of the earth. In Ja's case it was for chasing pop until the next big thing (50 Cent) made him irrelevant. Obviously drugs situation make the DMX comparison not 100% fair.

It's interesting seeing Nas operate on a level higher than most of his contemporaries without having made it to that next next level like Jay. The Wu is still around but moreso like a dead carcass that's dragged around the world. Ja is gone, DMX is gone, Jadakiss is gone, Mobb Deep are pretty much gone, etc. I wonder if Nas would have followed them into current irrelevance if he had kept on the I Am/shiny suit shit nonsense.

Tokubetsu

I was listening to the Jaun Epstein show's Salaam Remi interview earlier today and he made an interesting comment/comparison about Nas. He said that the label wanted a mainstream first single for God's Son to continue the momentum of the Ether/Stillmatic momentum. The suggestion was basically for a poppy Ashanti feature song. Instead Nas went with Made You Look, which became a club hit and got mainstream play as well.

Basically Remi's argument was that Nas chose to double down on his brand instead of aiming for short term success, and it's one of the reasons he's still around today. Interesting I had just heard Nas' manager make a similar argument, and compared him to Ja Rule and DMX; both were huge at one point but fell off the face of the earth. In Ja's case it was for chasing pop until the next big thing (50 Cent) made him irrelevant. Obviously drugs situation make the DMX comparison not 100% fair.

It's interesting seeing Nas operate on a level higher than most of his contemporaries without having made it to that next next level like Jay. The Wu is still around but moreso like a dead carcass that's dragged around the world. Ja is gone, DMX is gone, Jadakiss is gone, Mobb Deep are pretty much gone, etc. I wonder if Nas would have followed them into current irrelevance if he had kept on the I Am/shiny suit shit nonsense.

so what you're saying is everything is chaos but as long as you make one or two really solid efforts you'll be alright

got it

PBY

Banned
Seent rtj once - kind meh. Seeing em again in a few weeks.

Just lesvingn SHLOHMO. I dunno man. I was pretty into it- but he played no remixes. Only his original instrumental shit. Crowd was restless and the gf was broken 10 minutes in.

overcast

Internet terrorists tried to bring us down, but we still stand strong
We got em
musg6gqhtwny7oo3vcmo.jpg

Nibel

Samowski my man, that Booba album is full of autotune and trap.
KuGsj.gif

But it has some nice bangers; overall good shit. How is it being received in France?

MoodyFog

Samowski my man, that Booba album is full of autotune and trap.
KuGsj.gif

But it has some nice bangers; overall good shit. How is it being received in France?

Well the man is a Future stan, lmao

It's received pretty much like his last album, people that are on the "real rap" mentality don't like it, and people that can enjoy trap think it's great.
I think it's a mix, there are some really wack tracks but out of the 19 tracks I'd probably keep like 10 tracks as good bangers which is what I expect from him now sooo it's all good

It's number one on itunes since the preorders opened and will sell very well though

Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Sunday Candy (Short Film)

No idea what makes this a short film but I loved this song since it came out, too bad this seems like an anomaly in Chance's recent output, he definitely should make more stuff like this.

Dope song and video but what's up with Donnie Trumpet trying to be the star all of a sudden lol. fuckouttahere breh

I miss the days when my grandma would tell me to come inside because it was about to rain :(

Eos

Now that I can view this thread again, how's that new Bones?
I really liked it. it was my first bones project that I listened to so I can't really compare it his other work. the production was nice, and the vocals fit pretty well with the beats. overall it felt really chill/relaxing.

Zabuza

Banned
I really liked it. it was my first bones project that I listened to so I can't really compare it his other work. the production was nice, and the vocals fit pretty well with the beats. overall it felt really chill/relaxing.
Check out Scumbag or PaidProgramming next so you can see how he's advanced since then (really not thaaaat much). I also really like Garbage and Deadboy.

Fjordson

Why are the KTT forums getting worked up over a "Drake takeover" tonight. People hinting it on Twitter or some shit.

Doubt it's anything other than his Coachella set. Though putting out that unreleased bonus track from If You're Reading This would be dope.

It's more Bones. Thick production and hazy melodies. You know what you're getting.

That anti-sunny Sunday music.

But when you hit tracks like ModestGoals it's okay that's it's more of the same. Floating.
Lol true. Haven't listened to him in a while so I'm up for more.

Yeah, that's how most of his stuff is. He's carved out his own lane that sounds pretty dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom