• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
CCPgvqjWAAAKKgy.jpg

he at an anime convention? is it be your waifu day?

Courage

tumblr_mi54tfrZk61s3ctpmo1_500.png

I’ve been trying to catch up on classics, so I decided to post write-ups on some of them, since I know you guys love reading my 7th grade-level essays.

I’ve been giving Gravediggaz – 6 Feet Deep a few listens throughout the past few days. Gravediggaz consist of RZA, Frukwan and Too Poetic, along with Prince Paul as the sole producer (for this album at least). The menacing album art sets the tone immediately (I love how Prince Paul is kinda in the background since he ain’t terrifying enough to be in the front), as it’s also one of the pioneer albums of the horrorcore subgenre.

I love the production on this. It can be ominous with 1-800-Suicide, eerie with the keys on the title track and Constant Elevation, and even funky with the laid-back Blood Brothers. He manages to keep it murky enough to fit the mood of the entire album.

The problems with the album lie in its lyiricism and the vocal inflections all of them take on (especially Poetic). I don’t mind a track revolving around mindless violence with graphic detail if it’s done right. Take 1-800-Suicide for example, which suggests all these different ways to commit suicide to the point where it becomes cartoonish. It doesn’t feel overdone, and it plays into the concept of the track. I like Diary of A Madman as well, which is set during a hearing where the Gravediggaz justify (or rather explain) their insanity to the judge. It’s what makes these tracks more memorable than something like Here Comes The Gravediggaz. The mindless explicitness permeates throughout the album to the point where it gets boring. It doesn’t help when they almost entirely rap with exaggerated flows and voices that gets irritating and loses its appeal after a few tracks. A good example is the first verse on Graveyard Chamber, where Poetic tries to take on this deranged flow, which sounds fucking annoying instead of scary. So yeah, if they’re trying to be ‘cartoony’ it’s not funny, if they’re trying to be ‘insane’ it’s not scary. At least if we’re going to criticize Death Grips, it won’t be for what they set out to do, which is evoke some form of uneasiness and horror for the most part. MC Ride manages to sound menacing throughout songs, even if the lyrics aren’t that great.

It’s hard for me to not compare this to Enter the Wu-Tang, which was out a few months before this. It sounds eerie and somber without having to resort to ridiculous cadences and shock value to convey it. Wu-Tang’s debut actually had clever bars, and managed to sound intimidating with their rhymes and flows; more importantly, there was chemistry among the members while also being distinct from each other (stylistically and vocally). It’s almost like everyone in Gravediggaz are trying to poorly emulate ODB.

So yeah, it’s decent, I guess. For the production and some of the great songs on it, but it's not that great as a whole.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NYT does a profile on Kanye West. It's mostly fashion-centric, but I quoted the juicy bits:
A couple of years ago, in 2013, West could be found inveighing against the gatekeepers he perceived as impediments to his success: the designers who wouldn’t collaborate with him, the financiers who wouldn’t back him. He did this in interviews as well as on stage, from the 60-foot tall mountain that was the centerpiece of his Yeezus tour. “I would scream — ‘Look at this mountain I just made! You don’t think I can make a T-shirt?’ ” he told me. “ ’Look at everyone in the audience — we’re selling $300,000 worth of T-shirts every night!’ ”

Lately, that’s often been a velour sweatshirt by Haider Ackermann (retail price: $768), topped with a modified MA-1 bomber jacket by Takahiro Miyashita ($1,778). This is not, West clarifies, the level of affordability he’s striving for in the clothes he’s making. He claims that he’s not wearing luxury for luxury’s sake but rather as a form of research. “There’s a transition,” he says. “I need to partake in what’s of value and of quality and soul in order to understand it, in order to give it back.”

He takes his role as a husband and father seriously. “I feel like now I have an amazing wife, a supersmart child and the opportunity to create in two major fields,” he said. “Before I had those outlets, my ego was all I had.” But he also speaks “all the time” to a doctor who specializes in anger management therapy, a fortuitous byproduct of an altercation with a paparazzo at Los Angeles International Airport.

“I have this table in my new house,” West said, offering a parable. “They put this table in without asking. It was some weird nouveau riche marble table, and I hated it. But it was literally so heavy that it took a crane to move it. We would try to set up different things around it, but it never really worked.

“I realized that table was my ego. No matter what you put around it, under it, no matter who photographed it, the douchebaggery would always come through.”

His poorly received ready-to-wear women’s collections were paid for completely out of pocket, which he says put him in debt. “I gained because I had the privilege to be educated,” he now says. “I had enough of a value to be able to go into debt, and that was a blessing. Some people don’t even have the opportunity to be able to go into debt.”

In a widely circulated photo of the two men meeting, Lauren has placed his hand gently on West’s cheek. “Do you know what he said when he did that? ‘This is my son,’ ” West said. “And I was thinking, ‘I knew it! I knew Ralph was my daddy!’ ”
:dame at the last quote

Retail list finally up, really wanted to get the new Slim Thug in there that's what took so long, was just in a big debate...In the end I like it more than Earl's album in the whip, but not in the headphones.
Fix your link.

codhand

Gravediggaz were actually the first horrorcore group. Also as a group they were being shopped around to labels as early as 1991, before RZA was able to get Wu-Tang off the ground as his personal side-project. The voices which you find annoying, i think add a lot of great characterization to the album, which i find missing in today's hip-hop. gotta remember being "wild and crazy" like Busta Rhymes was a popular style of MCing.

it's yet another Prince Paul classic in my book. and another reason 1994 was such a great year in hip-hop.

RIP Poetic

Courage

Gravediggaz were actually the first horrorcore group. Also as a group they were being shopped around to labels as early as 1991, before RZA was able to get Wu-Tang off the ground as his personal side-project. The voices which you find annoying, i think add a lot of great characterization to the album, which i find missing in today's hip-hop. gotta remember being "wild and crazy" like Busta Rhymes was a popular style of MCing.

it's yet another Prince Paul classic in my book. and another reason 1994 was such a great year in hip-hop.

RIP Poetic

Thanks for the insight. I'm assuming the labels didn't want to take a risk with this which is why they had to go through that BS before this came out. RZA even takes a few shots at some of the labels I believe.

‘Look at this mountain I just made! You don’t think I can make a T-shirt?’ ” he told me. “ ’Look at everyone in the audience — we’re selling $300,000 worth of T-shirts every night!’ ”
1064944_o.gif

“And I was thinking, ‘I knew it! I knew Ralph was my daddy!’ ”
zPhjuiD.png

codhand

Thanks for the insight. I'm assuming the labels didn't want to take a risk with this which is why they had to go through that BS before this came out. RZA even takes a few shots at some of the labels I believe.

yes. all four were members of groups prior to this

rza as Prince Rakeem
Frukwan and Prince Paul in Stetsasonic
and Poetic in Brothers Grym

They were all considered to be "dead" by label execs at the ripe old age of 25! So this album was partly in response to that notion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the best AZ project?

So I finally listened to The Format. The title track has probably been my favourite hip-hop song period for many years now but I've been apprehensive of checking out the full project from AZ in fear of disappointment. The other day I finally realized this was a stupid sentiment to have and gave the album a listen. I really enjoy it. A few familiar samples/melodies across the album, but dude just can spit. Another one of those guys that just seems effortless when he raps, like they speak in rhyme. An album you can just sit in the passenger seat for and just feel all the different vibes.

Cheddahz avatar material.

Fjordson

I want to use Firefox, but the font on GAF and some other sites looks weird as hell compared to in Chrome. Like it's hard to describe, but text is smaller and not as clear. Really annoying.

IrishNinja

One of yall fucked this thread up.

smh posting in here with IE

yup, it's the only way shit works for me...good job, ya'll broke it

anyway
fuck catchin up on alla that

hype? don't know what to make of this, thought could ride with dude a few albums back but i don't know what to expect here

huh, turns out i can enjoy taylor

I only boot it up a few nights a week cause I know I'll get deep into that shit when I do.

this, haven't played in almost a week, need some time to really dig back in now that vicar's down

Fuck that PC nerdery

ya, but you're playing a from soft game. that's like saying fuck anime, when you have a blu ray player with escaflowne in it right now.

BqhZwHG.png

He shoulda known, once these girls get out of pre-school and start kindergarten they start developing their cognitive and social skills in a larger environment they tend to start playing with other children.

Please, this upcoming sequence of events will allow me to consolidate my discount-Beyonce and Kanye trolling. Call it horizontal troll synergy.

yhcj75G.png

magnificent
simply spectacular

Look, they missed the boat on the far, far, far superior GKMC, so they had to make it up somehow. They're cool now. They're hip. They get the kids.

aw don't you malcolm x/training day TPAB like that fam

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know what problem you guys are having with this thread, unless it's using browsers that have been subpar for years.

IrishNinja

Black Thought stands toe to toe with anyone from anytime. Like however you feel about The Roots' discography, that's an objective #HipHopFact.

I mean I wanna agree but the last few have been a bit slower than I'd want on some gibbs shit
last time thought was on like that for was uh...tipping point? or the one right after

don't get it twisted though, saw him live a year or two back and shit was fire

I don't know what problem you guys are having with this thread, unless it's using browsers that have been subpar for years.

bet you're an opera user huh enzoes

Windows 95 users being exposed right now.

my OS doesn't hit me up every other day bout updates needin to restart fam
also #checkyourprivilege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom