• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I wanna agree but the last few have been a bit slower than I'd want on some gibbs shit
last time thought was on like that for was uh...tipping point? or the one right after

don't get it twisted though, saw him live a year or two back and shit was fire

I dunno if there's been a more "old guys still got it" track in recent years than Rapid Eye Movement. Thought can still go.

Esch

Banned
kanye rapping about cutting bitches and bricks and fucking bitches

gsTTAos.gif

That track sounds like something someone would make and delete the next morning like "WTF was I on last night."

Nah to to that whole thing. Just nah.

For the sake of fairness I won't troll this. It's a demo, so I'd imagine it's a reference track for Rihanna - not an actual Kanye verse/chorus.

But if any of that verse turns out to be Kanye's after all, when the final version is revealed....
1T6tz2X.gif

enzo is mine

PBY

Banned
For the sake of fairness I won't troll this. It's a demo, so I'd imagine it's a reference track for Rihanna - not an actual Kanye verse/chorus.

But if any of that verse turns out to be Kanye's after all, when the final version is revealed....
1T6tz2X.gif

enzo is mine
Verse is dope tho

Yeah I think it's just a reference kanye is giving to rihanna

No way is that all his verse. Beat's good tho

Just 28 posts more until we can get off this damned page

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Apocalypse 91 got a lot of critical love though, which is more than can be said for muse sick and hour mess age which I always thought was really underrated.

Ninja Dom

tumblr_mi54tfrZk61s3ctpmo1_500.png

I’ve been trying to catch up on classics, so I decided to post write-ups on some of them, since I know you guys love reading my 7th grade-level essays.

I’ve been giving Gravediggaz – 6 Feet Deep a few listens throughout the past few days. Gravediggaz consist of RZA, Frukwan and Too Poetic, along with Prince Paul as the sole producer (for this album at least). The menacing album art sets the tone immediately (I love how Prince Paul is kinda in the background since he ain’t terrifying enough to be in the front), as it’s also one of the pioneer albums of the horrorcore subgenre.

I love the production on this. It can be ominous with 1-800-Suicide, eerie with the keys on the title track and Constant Elevation, and even funky with the laid-back Blood Brothers. He manages to keep it murky enough to fit the mood of the entire album.

The problems with the album lie in its lyiricism and the vocal inflections all of them take on (especially Poetic). I don’t mind a track revolving around mindless violence with graphic detail if it’s done right. Take 1-800-Suicide for example, which suggests all these different ways to commit suicide to the point where it becomes cartoonish. It doesn’t feel overdone, and it plays into the concept of the track. I like Diary of A Madman as well, which is set during a hearing where the Gravediggaz justify (or rather explain) their insanity to the judge. It’s what makes these tracks more memorable than something like Here Comes The Gravediggaz. The mindless explicitness permeates throughout the album to the point where it gets boring. It doesn’t help when they almost entirely rap with exaggerated flows and voices that gets irritating and loses its appeal after a few tracks. A good example is the first verse on Graveyard Chamber, where Poetic tries to take on this deranged flow, which sounds fucking annoying instead of scary. So yeah, if they’re trying to be ‘cartoony’ it’s not funny, if they’re trying to be ‘insane’ it’s not scary. At least if we’re going to criticize Death Grips, it won’t be for what they set out to do, which is evoke some form of uneasiness and horror for the most part. MC Ride manages to sound menacing throughout songs, even if the lyrics aren’t that great.

It’s hard for me to not compare this to Enter the Wu-Tang, which was out a few months before this. It sounds eerie and somber without having to resort to ridiculous cadences and shock value to convey it. Wu-Tang’s debut actually had clever bars, and managed to sound intimidating with their rhymes and flows; more importantly, there was chemistry among the members while also being distinct from each other (stylistically and vocally). It’s almost like everyone in Gravediggaz are trying to poorly emulate ODB.

So yeah, it’s decent, I guess. For the production and some of the great songs on it, but it's not that great as a whole.

Great write-up.

At the time the album came out I was too young to consider it as critically as you have written. In the 90's my opinion on albums was pretty black & white - it's either good or it's not.

I used to think this was a good album and at release I considered it an entirely separate project to Wu-Tang even though RZA and a few afilliates were in both. The best songs on Gravediggaz are absolutely fucking outstanding and the worst are pretty boring. Highs & Lows on the same album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was reading on 2DBZ and they were suggesting Kendrick's verse for All Day was a demo, as opposed to a scrapped feature. Would make a bit more sense, but I can see Ye getting Kendrick to redo it or a do a new verse and throwing it out there as a bone.

oh dear another bones tape where he does the exact same shit
let's talk about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom