• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
Curren$y - Rhymes Like Weight

xrVecDt.gif

HiResDes

I agree with some of the Jazz Cartier complaints, but I don't think he's outright copying anyone. There's a few verses that sound like Travis, a few that sound like Drake, an intro that sounds DMX ish, and a chorus that sounds like OG Maco. However, I don't get the feeling that he has a specific artist in mind on each track, but rather when you're crafting music within a similar lane as these big artists that everyone knows and gravitates it's damn near impossible to sound completely original. There are a few misses, but that's also bound to happen with any project this long. I still think it's quite an impressive and largely successful debut. Sometimes it seems like people are more critical of free tapes than they are of retail albums, but maybe it's harder to shit on a well established artist.

codhand

lots of examples where the mixtape is actually better. not sure there's a major difference lately, except it seems that major label stuff has to clear all the samples, and usually suffers as a result

I agree with some of the Jazz Cartier complaints, but I don't think he's outright copying anyone. There's a few verses that sound like Travis, a few that sound like Drake, an intro that sounds DMX ish, and a chorus that sounds like OG Maco. However, I don't get the feeling that he has a specific artist in mind on each track, but rather when you're crafting music within a similar lane as these big artists that everyone knows and gravitates it's damn near impossible to sound completely original. There are a few misses, but that's also bound to happen with any project this long. I still think it's quite an impressive and largely successful debut. Sometimes it seems like people are more critical of free tapes than they are of retail albums, but maybe it's harder to shit on a well established artist.

What makes it stand out is that he kinda has his own voice on some of the tracks, but then there are moments where you're like "Ehh y'know this sounds very _______." Like blatantly so. That switch up pulls me out of the listening experience and makes me think of what he's being influenced by rather than actually hearing the music in front of me, more so for the contemporary artists (the DMX stuff is actually fine by me, no one is really doing that these days).

It is a mostly successful project though, I agree, and he'll never go wrong with production that good. Just wish he would mask where he's pulling from a little bit more.

DominoKid

It never crossed my mind tbat he sounded like certain artists aside from one of the joints that sounds like a lowkey Used To (drake) cover.

Fjordson

Cartier tape is nice for me. I see the influences, but it's not too overt for me.

if a shoe fits your foot...it's real
Lmao forreal.

I had a year or two in high school where I thought I was about to get deep into sneakers. Had a pair of Jordan 1's in white and Carolina blue and a few other nice pairs but it quickly started to feel like a waste of money. Was out of the game quick thankfully.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Furious 7 brehs... :'(

Love you guys. Keep on keeping on.

Didn't expect to get teary eye'd there.

Cudder

Furious 7 brehs... :'(

Love you guys. Keep on keeping on.

Didn't expect to get teary eye'd there.

The only good thing about that movie is the last 5 minutes. I have a certain threshold for corny/cringe/cheesiness in a movie and Furious 7 shot way, way past it.

I don't fuck with F&F, never seen one of them. Can someone tell me if Paul Walker dies in the new one? I don't see how they can bring him back again, given that he shot like 80% of this movie before dying whereas another film wouldn't have any footage of him. I know they used his brothers to finish his scenes but I can't imagine them doing that for an entire film.

I don't fuck with F&F, never seen one of them. Can someone tell me if Paul Walker dies in the new one? I don't see how they can bring him back again, given that he shot like 80% of this movie before dying whereas another film wouldn't have any footage of him. I know they used his brothers to finish his scenes but I can't imagine them doing that for an entire film.

nah he goes home and becomes a family man, with a beautiful montage/eulogy from vin's character

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It was none of that. Just a really beautiful tribute. Shit was affecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom