• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Drake article about Coachella was interesting, especially with regards to him being so aware of his place in history right now, what he can accomplish if he does xyz, etc. I'm not a Drake fan but it's undeniable that he's That Dude right now, and he recognizes it. I have a general feeling that people are going to like whatever he puts out next, but clearly he wants to do something different. I'm curious to hear this "paradigm shift." Anything that moves us beyond trap is cool with me.

Remark

Banned
my nigga just did a 360 backflip off the vert ramp bruh shit was flames

oh yeah my mixtape comin very soon very srs when the shit drops promote the fuck out of it, niggas tryna get signed n shit :l

Cheddahz

Banned
DeJ Loaf - Me U & Hennessy

tumblr_ms8fkm1DhF1qfu2y7o1_500.gif

overcast

Mad Max looks straight dope to me. Visually it looks phenomenal and the chase sequences looks so goddamn fun.

I am a little worried about Star Wars leaning on nostalgia too much. I'm okay with having the characters and some old locations but they need to develop those new (interesting looking) characters and put us in some new locales. I agree with Abrams saying the right things, but he hasn't made anything decent since Star Trek. Trailers look fantastic though man. Killed it, got me hyped.

Fjordson

Man my brother is sending me videos from Flying Lotus' Coachella set. Looks incredible visually, and he's doing some Captain Murphy songs along with his regular solo stuff which is dope. Also looks like he's performing it all inside a cube in mid-air. Pretty crazy.

overcast

Fjordson, that's how he was when I saw him a few months back. Really great experience. He's actually solid at rapping live too, I was impressed.

codhand

JJ abrams is like when you're in a city you're not really familiar with for some reason but you're like sorta afraid of eating in various places cause you might get merked or get food poisoning so you eat at applebees and you're like meh this isn't that shit and im not dying but you're still yknow eating applebees

Can't really argue against Esch's Abrams critique. I remember seeing the Super 8 trailer and thinking my god...it's like he extracted the magic of 80s kids films (The Goonies, ET, Back To The Future, etc) and repackaged it at discount prices. Still haven't seen Super 8 but those who have don't have good things to say about it. Especially people who grew up on those 80s films. Yes there's a level of nostalgia involved, but a lot of those films stand on their own merits. Cynical replications "for a new generation" are easy to spot.

In short, Abrams is sort of like the film J Cole. His every move is calculated to remind you of something cool you remember from a past era. His filmography could almost be a blueprint he wrote down when he was 14 years old. "I'm going to make my own Star Trek, I'm going to make my own ET, etc."

comparing jj abrams to applebees & j cole?

8VyzZ.gif

new Star Wars trailer seemed real safe and focused grouped. did it look better the the prequels? sure did. i guess im cautiously optimisitc, but the Pander is strong with this one for sure

Courage

Although I dislike Abrams as well, wouldn't you guys say it's a bit unfair to say he's gonna ruin Star Wars because of making it 'safe'? I'm sure a lot of the influence is coming from the studio itself, wanting it to remain faithful and bank on nostalgia and not allowing the creative freedom he may have wanted. I'd reckon that's why they picked him in the first place.

codhand

Although I dislike Abrams as well, wouldn't you guys say it's a bit unfair to say he's gonna ruin Star Wars because of making it 'safe'? I'm sure a lot of the influence is coming from the studio itself, wanting it to remain faithful and bank on nostalgia and not allowing the creative freedom he may have wanted. I'd reckon that's why they picked him in the first place.

sure, totally agree.

except i dont think he can ruin it, that already happened, he can unruin it i suppose

That Drake article about Coachella was interesting, especially with regards to him being so aware of his place in history right now, what he can accomplish if he does xyz, etc. I'm not a Drake fan but it's undeniable that he's That Dude right now, and he recognizes it. I have a general feeling that people are going to like whatever he puts out next, but clearly he wants to do something different. I'm curious to hear this "paradigm shift." Anything that moves us beyond trap is cool with me.

jokes on you
he's gonna change his rap name to drizzy drake officially and release an all metro boomin and zaytoven produced album of bangers
but when you listen closely it's actually a concept album about being at a club and you get separated from your friends and spend 3 hours sitting at a table and then you finally find one of your friends (shouts out to ob o brien) but he's leaving with a chick you've been eyeing all night
simp album of the year
he'll call it Woes from the 6

jokes on you
he's gonna change his rap name to drizzy drake officially and release an all metro boomin and zaytoven produced album of bangers
but when you listen closely it's actually a concept album about being at a club and you get separated from your friends and spend 3 hours sitting at a table and then you finally find one of your friends (shouts out to ob o brien) but he's leaving with a chick you've been eyeing all night
simp album of the year
he'll call it Woes from the 6

First thing that came to mind was The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

Star Wars is the Pokemon of science fiction franchises. This shit is absolutely adored despite being a Kurosawa/Leone regurgitation over a Buck Rodgers setting, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the complete lack of depth in the universe. Content to sell a shitload of Boba Fett action figures and rake in billions at the box office each opening weekend while hiding behind the 'imaginative' and 'innovative' integrity of Lucasfilm Studios. I'm a pleb w/ little to no social acumen so of course I'm going to spend 2 and a half hours watching The Force Awakens this summer but I'll be trying my damnedest to not enjoy it.

injurai

Banned
Star Wars is the Pokemon of science fiction franchises. This shit is absolutely adored despite being a Kurosawa/Leone regurgitation over a Buck Rodgers setting, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the complete lack of depth in the universe. Content to sell a shitload of Boba Fett action figures and rake in billions at the box office each opening weekend while hiding behind the 'imaginative' and 'innovative' integrity of Lucasfilm Studios. I'm a pleb w/ little to no social acumen so of course I'm going to spend 2 and a half hours watching The Force Awakens this summer but I'll be trying my damnedest to not enjoy it.

There are millions of people who see the shortcomings in Star Wars. But whether it be nostalgia, or just a general love for fantasizing about the world. People will go into trying to focus on all the things they love. It's not like every fan is a blind sheep, but many people would rather love it for they love about it. They would rather make the best, and enjoy something to it's fullest rather than taking the cynics experience in enjoying. Why would try your hardest to not enjoy something? Like... the fuck?

Why would try your hardest to not enjoy something? Like... the fuck?
I get turning your brain off for a blockbuster, there's nothing wrong w/ that. telekinetic samurai space ninjas taken at face value is where I personally draw the line. and, if I'm being honest, the contrarion approach is pretty appealing to me wrt Star Wars, there's enjoyment in not enjoying it

Courage

ferreal? shit was ok, not anywhere near AOTY.

What didn't you like? It's so dense and I love the Madvillainy-esque format. Even though the tracks are short, I feel almost all of them are fully fleshed out. It also has the best raps out of all his projects, including Armand Hammer.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What didn't you like? It's so dense and I love the Madvillainy-esque format. Even though the tracks are short, I feel almost all of them are fully fleshed out. It also has the best raps out of all his projects, including Armand Hammer.

Nothing stood out to me. I get what you're saying and did enjoy the writing in this record, but I just wasn't really vibing with it personally. I only gave it two listens, maybe I'll return to it in a couple months and see where I land on it again.

SBQ fuckery. he ain't got shit coming out.

Fjordson

I'm cautiously excited about Blade Runner 2. I really like Villeneuve directing, but the original BR is my favourite film ever. I'll need to try and not nitpick the sequel too much.

And hopefully Ryan Gosling joins. Then he can get Johnny Jewel to compose the score.

injurai

Banned
I'm cautiously excited about Blade Runner 2. I really like Villeneuve directing, but the original BR is my favourite film ever. I'll need to try and not nitpick the sequel too much.

And hopefully Ryan Gosling joins. Then he can get Johnny Jewel to compose the score.

Looked up the director. Wow, he did Prisoners and Enemy. Slightly more interested in this project now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom