• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

I cant fuck with the series either
snobster.png

Esch

Banned
i ain't seen em neither

they're pretty much live action Initial D rite guys

yeah but instead of being in japan and having a wack socially incapable protagonist you have vin diesel and it's lit. tbh you'd like it. You like 80s action movies and anime, this is like a combination of the two :camby:

I cant fuck with the series either

you dont like anything for the proles foh

IrishNinja

so start with part 1 and if i don't like it that's it then?

*edit Point Blank was great by the way, props to whoever recommended that

Esch

Banned
yeah start with 1 and then 2 sorta sucks but is entertaining cause tyrese and paul are funny together and then 3 is terrible and then 4 is where the series really becomes sort of a unified brand and comes into its own

yeah start with 1 and then 2 sorta sucks but is entertaining cause tyrese and paul are funny together and then 3 is terrible and then 4 is where the series really becomes sort of a unified brand and comes into its own

4 was necessary for it's evolution but it's kinda shit tbh. 5 and 6 is where it transcended being just a car movie

Esch

Banned
i agree that 4 isn't very good tbh but it set the tone for everything to come. 6 is kind of forgettable too honestly. wack
amnesia plot
foh

Fjordson

I liked F&F 7. Solid action flick, maybe the best in the series. And Walker's send off was perfect.

Think it'll get overshadowed by Mad Max next month though as far as blockbusters go (not financially, just quality). That looks great.

T Dollarz

Let's be real guys, nothing is touching The Force Awakens. That trailer had me feeling some type of way. I think I actually shed a thug tear.

Can't think of anything in the past I would have been more hyped for tbh. I was hugely hyped for Godzilla last year for the same nostalgic reasons and I think it wholly delivered. However, Star Wars is just... It's another level, man. The potential for a modern Star Wars film flashed before my eyes in a short two minute spurt and I thought to myself "Damn, we get a new super hero film every 6 months. The last Star Wars movie came out ten years ago. The last REAL Star Wars movie came out 33 years ago I believe. The public's thirst as we are fed more marketing is gonna be next level."

Are you ready?

Esch

Banned
Gonna take the other route and say mad max and force awakens won't be very good.

All I've seen from mad max thus far are postapocalyptic vehicle combat sequences. Meh.

Force Awakens, to me, looks another example of that fraud Abrams repurposing old shit from decades ago into something palatable but not really very good. Same old planets and factions same old characters and actors, nah. In universes where you are given creative license to do anything, dude chooses to mine old veins.

Fjordson

Gonna take the other route and say mad max and force awakens won't be very good.

All I've seen from mad max thus far are postapocalyptic vehicle combat sequences. Meh.

Force Awakens, to me, looks another example of that fraud Abrams repurposing old shit from decades ago into something palatable but not really very good. Same old planets and factions same old characters and actors, nah. In universes where you are given creative license to do anything, dude chooses to mine old veins.
Yeah, I'm not an Abrams fan at all. I mean he's done some classic TV work and is obviously a talented dude, but I can't say I've loved any of his movies. I'm more interested in seeing what Rian Johnson does with ep. VII.

As for Mad Max, you could be right, but I'm holding out hope. It looks really dope visually, George Miller is back, and I think Tom Hardy is a great fit in the Max role.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
But despite his fuckery, we're still getting a Gareth Evans Star Wars heist movie and a lot of the dudes from The Raid are choreographing light saber fights. People can keep their old ass actors goin at it another time. I got a "Raid" movie in the Star Wars universe coming.

But despite his fuckery, we're still getting a Gareth Evans Star Wars heist movie and a lot of the dudes from The Raid are choreographing light saber fights. People can keep their old ass actors goin at it another time. I got a "Raid" movie in the Star Wars universe coming.

ehhh..i'm sorry to disappoint but you got the wrong gareth. it's gareth edwards the director of that boring ass godzilla movie lmao.

mad max looking like blockbuster..art. it's so beautifully shot and harkens back to a time when stunts looked real and dangerous.

Force Awakens looks good, but I'm not a big Star Wars guy so my hype has a low ceiling there.

Same for me. I've always been more of a cerebral and/or gritty sci-fi guy so the whole Star Wars thing kinda goes right past me, but that was still an excellent trailer. I'd be lying if I said that wide shot at the beginning and music swell on "This Christmas" didn't get me a bit.

Esch pls, that's the best part. It's like the last 30 minutes of The Road Warrior for an entire movie. I can't even remember the last time a movie had so much amazingly shot practical stunt vehicle carnage. I have this lingering bad feeling that it will underperform at the box office, but I'll be surprised if it's anything other than incredibly fun. I haven't read a single negative impression and they've been privately screening it for like a year in various states of completion.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I get you Esch, but it's kinda hard to go too crazy with that universe when fans lose their shit over something as trivial as a hilt on a lightsaber

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ehhh..i'm sorry to disappoint but you got the wrong gareth. it's gareth edwards the director of that boring ass godzilla movie lmao.

mad max looking like blockbuster..art. it's so beautifully shot and harkens back to a time when stunts looked real and dangerous.
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

well the raid dudes are still doing choreography right?

I don't mind Edwards, he probably has some action chops.

Fjordson

Same for me. I've always been more of a cerebral and/or gritty sci-fi guy so the whole Star Wars thing kinda goes right past me, but that was still an excellent trailer. I'd be lying if I said that wide shot at the beginning and music swell on "This Christmas" didn't get me a bit.
Yeah for sure. I'll still go see it and probably enjoy it plenty. I like the new cast they have lined up and John Williams will probably kill it.

Can't really argue against Esch's Abrams critique. I remember seeing the Super 8 trailer and thinking my god...it's like he extracted the magic of 80s kids films (The Goonies, ET, Back To The Future, etc) and repackaged it at discount prices. Still haven't seen Super 8 but those who have don't have good things to say about it. Especially people who grew up on those 80s films. Yes there's a level of nostalgia involved, but a lot of those films stand on their own merits. Cynical replications "for a new generation" are easy to spot.

In short, Abrams is sort of like the film J Cole. His every move is calculated to remind you of something cool you remember from a past era. His filmography could almost be a blueprint he wrote down when he was 14 years old. "I'm going to make my own Star Trek, I'm going to make my own ET, etc."

All that being said...it can't possibly be worse than the prequels. But then again J Cole hasn't made an album worse than Nastradamus yet that's nothing to pat him on the back about either.

Esch

Banned
JJ abrams is like when you're in a city you're not really familiar with for some reason but you're like sorta afraid of eating in various places cause you might get merked or get food poisoning so you eat at applebees and you're like meh this isn't that shit and im not dying but you're still yknow eating applebees

Fjordson

Super 8 was really lame I thought. As was the last Star Trek film.

But he's helped create some good TV shows. And that Lost pilot he directed was incredible.

do y'all think kathleen kennedy is gonna let abrams fuck this up? he knows if he doesn't deliver on this one that he'll have to change his name or risk imprisonment

super 8 and star trek 2 were pretty bad though no doubt

I'll give him a bit of praise to balance things out a tad. He has said everything I want to hear someone say about Star Wars. Practical effects, seemingly interesting new characters, serious work to create a good script, etc.That trailer looks amazing. He seems to "get" Star Wars in a way he clearly didn't "get" Star Trek.

The leaked info so far sounds interesting. Still I have a feeling what we'll get is an average or decent film that tries too hard to replicate and repackage the past. What nerd wouldn't want to make a Star Wars film with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc and essentially do all the things they wanted Return Of The Jedi to do? That's the pitfall.

JJ abrams is like when you're in a city you're not really familiar with for some reason but you're like sorta afraid of eating in various places cause you might get merked or get food poisoning so you eat at applebees and you're like meh this isn't that shit and im not dying but you're still yknow eating applebees

Fairly accurate comparison except that this is more like going back to a city where you ALREADY got shot, had food poisoning, and caught an STD, so this time you're just cool with Applebees in the nice part of town.

Especially since the next time you're here there's this pretty good restaurant named Rian Johnson you're gonna check out.

Fjordson

do y'all think kathleen kennedy is gonna let abrams fuck this up? he knows if he doesn't deliver on this one that he'll have to change his name or risk imprisonment

super 8 and star trek 2 were pretty bad though no doubt
I don't think he'll fuck it up or anything. It's gonna be do big numbers and there already seems to be a lot of hype for it, especially since it's taking imagery and characters from the original trilogy, which is obviously a smarter move than associating with the prequels. Just don't think it will blow me away since I don't have much of an affinity for the Star Wars universe.

Which is fine. I'm just not the target audience.

Esch

Banned
Esch pls, that's the best part. It's like the last 30 minutes of The Road Warrior for an entire movie. I can't even remember the last time a movie had so much amazingly shot practical stunt vehicle carnage.

Nah brav, i don't want 1h30 of explosions and action shots. Give me some swag sequences, h2h, survival shit, some badass character moments etc etc. Maybe even some sparse moments of lighthearted material to provide contrast with the sand n' death theme. I'll definitely keep a tab on it cause i love Tom Hardy but for now its on my mental backburner.

I don't care for Abrams TV work either; Fringe is decent pulp material but i'd still rather watch something else than that joint.

Fjordson

I don't care for Abrams TV work either; Fringe is decent pulp material but i'd still rather watch something else than that joint.
I give him props for the Lost pilot. That's seriously one of the best pilots I've ever seen. Was a long time ago now and it's technically only one episode, but that's basically a perfect hour and a half of television.

I give him props for the Lost pilot. That's seriously one of the best pilots I've ever seen. Was a long time ago now and it's technically only one episode, but that's basically a perfect hour and a half of television.

Agreed, hard to deny that. It's a pilot blueprint to this day. He also did the first episode of S3, which was also amazing (especially the cold open).

Nah brav, i don't want 1h30 of explosions and action shots. Give me some swag sequences, h2h, survival shit, some badass character moments etc etc. Maybe even some sparse moments of lighthearted material to provide contrast with the sand n' death theme. I'll definitely keep a tab on it cause i love Tom Hardy but for now its on my mental backburner.

I feel you but I don't feel you though. "The Raid with Cars and a large budget" is something the world needs right now. All that stuff you mention would be a nice bonus. And I don't know if Tom Hardy is even going to have much to chew on, honestly. I'm sure he'll do his "quiet and kinda weird, but mad screen presence and might snap any minute" thing but the draw is George Miller letting loose after years and years of soft, forgettable films.

And the LOST pilot is great, no doubt. Fooled a ton of people, including me, into watching a show that chased its tail for 6 years.

Ain't touching the Miami Vice pilot though. GOAT pilot.

cdyhybrid

lmao, it was still fun though. liked it more than 7 too. owen shaw > his brother

Think I agree with you.
They make Statham out to be this insane, unstoppable killer, but other than putting The Rock in the hospital, he doesn't really do much of anything on screen for the rest of the movie other than get outdone by Vin and Co. And even that was just because of his wild card - "Oh shit I'm losing, let me throw this grenade that perfectly tips the situation in my favor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom