• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

i do hate how nearly every rap song commercially sounds like trap beats though(and i love trap beats by artists who actually ride them well eg TI etc), commercially when did this start? around 2011?

Is that really the case tho?
Trap sounds have just been absorbed into other styles of beat making to where its the dominant sound.
See: DJ Mustard. Jahlil Beats, DJ Dahi. A bunch of that shit Drake raps over.

The most recent template trap shit to blow up that I can think of would probably be Coco.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jay zs Twitter timeline right now is his submission for L of the year.

4d1sws4y0s0c.gif

Courage

Jay zs Twitter timeline right now is his submission for L of the year.

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 1m 1 minute ago
My cousin just moved to Nigeria to discover new talent. Tidal is a global company.

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 3m 3 minutes ago
Rich getting richer? Equity values... YouTube $390 billion. Apple $760 billion. Spotify $8 billion. Tidal $60 million. #TidalFacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 4m 4 minutes ago
Tidal pays 75% royalty rate to ALL artists, writers and producers - not just the founding members on stage.

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 10m 10 minutes ago
Indie artists who want to work directly w/ us keep 100% of their music. "If you don't want the CEOs all in the videos" haa #tidalfacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 14m 14 minutes ago
….Tidal is where artists can give their fans more without the middlemen. #TidalFacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 17m 17 minutes ago
We made Tidal for fans. We have more than just music. We have video, exclusive concerts, tickets for events early, live sports!...

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 21m 21 minutes ago
There are many big companies that are spending millions on a smear campaign. We are not anti-anyone, we are pro-artist & fan. #TidalFacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 24m 24 minutes ago
We are here for the long haul. Please give us a chance to grow & get better. #TidalFacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 26m 26 minutes ago
The iTunes Store wasn't built in a day. It took Spotify 9 years to be successful…

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 30m 30 minutes ago
Tidal is doing just fine. We have over 770,000 subs. We have been in business less than one month. #TidalFacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_ · 34m 34 minutes ago
Stream of consciousness coming in 5, 4, 3, 2… #TidalFacts

bagdad-bob.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lil B clearly still the king of stream of consciousness.

Def front runner for L of the year. Condemn smearing but then smear brehs

Nah, not seeing an L here brehs...

You can't look at everything like first week sales of an album - ie if it doesn't sell x in a week it's a flop. Tidal has the money and backing to last quite awhile. Granted I definitely want to see how many of their 700k subs actually paid but let them breath. Isn't this the exact same argument republicans were using about Obamacare's signup numbers at the beginning? Now they don't have shit to say. Point being it's going to take quite awhile before we can determine whether this is a failure or not.

The streaming market is big enough for multiple players, and this isn't a game where only the top guy wins. I'm on the record as saying I think Tidal will be in a distant third, behind Spotify and whatever iTunes does with Beats. But even that won't be an L, just look at how the market is growing and will continue to grow...

Esch

Banned
going to bat for your product and contextualizing it is an L? what's he supposed to say? lol you guys are right, my service is shit?
9vU7w8t.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nah, not seeing an L here brehs...

You can't look at everything like first week sales of an album - ie if it doesn't sell x in a week it's a flop. Tidal has the money and backing to last quite awhile. Granted I definitely want to see how many of their 700k subs actually paid but let them breath. Isn't this the exact same argument republicans were using about Obamacare's signup numbers at the beginning? Now they don't have shit to say. Point being it's going to take quite awhile before we can determine whether this is a failure or not.

The streaming market is big enough for multiple players, and this isn't a game where only the top guy wins. I'm on the record as saying I think Tidal will be in a distant third, behind Spotify and whatever iTunes does with Beats. But even that won't be an L, just look at how the market is growing and will continue to grow...
That's not the L. There's room for others to eat. I mean mapquest still exists today.

The L is public reception to a product marketed for the sole purpose of benefiting the artist more than the consumer getting so (understandably) bad that Jay has to come and defend the shit and in the process not really solving any of the problems from the relaunch, all while firing subliminals. Pretty much the equivalent of you tripping while on a date.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, let's be real, Jay could lose 5 Tidals and still not really be holding any real life L's. Dude should just retire to an island and built a water park out of beer, staffed entirely by Norwegian women.

Nas could be the towel boy.

IrishNinja

i mean even if jigga wasnt crazy rich...i can't call anything here an L. he's doing some ambitious shit and taking his #newrules hustle game to the next logical conclusion as a musician who's already been CEO & shit. using social media for a bit of PR too...like, we out here with Dame Dash crunchyroll and Azella no-Banks puttin on L clinics, this shit's not even in the running people

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
i mean even if jigga wasnt crazy rich...i can't call anything here an L. he's doing some ambitious shit and taking his #newrules hustle game to the next logical conclusion as a musician who's already been CEO & shit. using social media for a bit of PR too...like, we out here with Dame Dash crunchyroll and Azella no-Banks puttin on L clinics, this shit's not even in the running people

lol @ No-Banks. Good lord, I never made that connect

That's not the L. There's room for others to eat. I mean mapquest still exists today.

The L is public reception to a product marketed for the sole purpose of benefiting the artist more than the consumer getting so (understandably) bad that Jay has to come and defend the shit and in the process not really solving any of the problems from the relaunch, all while firing subliminals. Pretty much the equivalent of you tripping while on a date.

There's no question that the marketing launch was a disaster, I just don't think that was a death blow. To me, the ultimate L is something you don't fully come back from. Dame Dash will never not be a loser, for instance. He's finished. Azalea Banks will never be popular, she's done. Carly Fiorina will always be a failure. Those people will never recover, breh. Whereas I see no evidence that Tidal won't ultimately find a place in an expanding/booming market. Long term it should be fine, and the marketing failure won't matter. Real talk: this was never going to beat Spotify anyway since it doesn't have a free option. But it doesn't have to beat Spotify or iTunes to do well.

Esch

Banned
Jay's biggest mistake with tidal was making himself the lead visible figure on it. No matter the pricing tier/service, people were going to come at him sideways. Should have gotten Thom Yorke or some other white guy that people are actually ok with making money to do the talking.

Nibel

You guys are bending the definition of taking a L; now you need to get to a state that you can't recover from to fit the L definition?

I think you are thinking too much in terms of 'L of the year' instead of regular Ls, and that stream-of-consciousness Twitter feed is a L; not a L that will affect his life in any way but a L nonetheless. He still can't explain why any music fan should care for Tidal besides supporting certain artists, it's just hilarious to watch.

Jay's biggest mistake with tidal was making himself the lead visible figure on it. No matter the pricing tier/service, people were going to come at him sideways. Should have gotten Thom Yorke or some other white guy that people are actually ok with making money to do the talking.

Nah. The problem was getting 15 of the biggest, richest people in music to get on stage and ask for more money. If Jay got up there with a mixture of indie artists, new artists, established artists, etc there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash. The other problem was framing the entire thing as some revolution that would change the world forever. That out of touch arrogance and hubris turned it into a laughing stock that's still going on in social media, and allowed potshots from idiots ("how come Jay isn't talking about #BlackLivesMatter").

I can imagine Tidal's people looking at Beats' marketing and saying "let's do that, but bigger." IE get a bunch of celebrities in a room to pimp the product. But Beats didn't come out the gate with celeb ads. The initial push was about you the consumer looking cool with these hip headphones designed by Dre. "He creates music for Eminem with these on? Cool!" And then Kaepernick, LeBron, etc started doing ads.

You have to demonstrate why people should want your product IMO, and Jay didn't do that.

Myggen

Nah. The problem was getting 15 of the biggest, richest people in music to get on stage and ask for more money. If Jay got up there with a mixture of indie artists, new artists, established artists, etc there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash. The other problem was framing the entire thing as some revolution that would change the world forever. That out of touch arrogance and hubris turned it into a laughing stock that's still going on in social media, and allowed potshots from idiots ("how come Jay isn't talking about #BlackLivesMatter").

I can imagine Tidal's people looking at Beats' marketing and saying "let's do that, but bigger." IE get a bunch of celebrities in a room to pimp the product. But Beats didn't come out the gate with celeb ads. The initial push was about you the consumer looking cool with these hip headphones designed by Dre. "He creates music for Eminem with these on? Cool!" And then Kaepernick, LeBron, etc started doing ads.

You have to demonstrate why people should want your product IMO, and Jay didn't do that.

Yeah, exactly. It was so easy to dismiss the "artist first" mantra of Tidal when the artists on stage were so big, and so rich. Announcing your product that way was always going to be not ideal, but it was a disaster because of that specific focus.

DominoKid

Thats because there isnt really a reason why youd want Tidal instead of Spotify unless all the big artists/labels pull their shit from Spotify and stick it on Tidal.

Folks dont give a fuck about how much money an artist makes from one service over another. Or lossless audio.

They just want to be able to hear the shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real men don't let other men snatch accolades like L of the Year from you. Not even if they used to be your partner. Pause.

Thats because there isnt really a reason why youd want Tidal instead of Spotify unless all the big artists/labels pull their shit from Spotify and stick it on Tidal.

Folks dont give a fuck about how much money an artist makes from one service over another. Or lossless audio.

They just want to be able to hear the shit.

And the funny thing is that Jay was the only person on stage with the power to pull his music from other streaming/music products. But he hasn't done so because there really isn't a financial incentive. In short this goes back to the problem with the entire argument behind Tidal. Whether it's 70 or 75% royalties, labels are going to eat that up, not artists. A true music revolution would be to cut labels out of the process, sign distribution deals, and cake. But artists prefer the comfort of a major label, be it marketing/promotion or hotel bookings.

If I was an artist I'd be looking at Chance The Rapper and gunning for that type of set up. Buy a publicist, good management, and cake off tours while releasing projects (free or not).

It's only fitting that you Chatty Pattys would do this on a Sunday of all days. Might as well have a little get together in your amen corner because you wouldn't last a second on one in Harlem.
rw0jTCO.png

I'm surprised Dame hasn't said anything about Tidal. Seems like such a perfect opportunity to wax some bullshit.

"You know, I remember being in a meeting and talking to Steve Jobs about online distribution. We were going to put all of Jay's albums online, through a service we were gonna call RocEar. We had the dough, we were putting our asses on the line pause. I didn't know who Steve was. I asked him to get me some coffee, nahmean? Anyway a few months later I hear about something called iTunes. I do some research and find out Steve Jobs took our idea. This is what I'm talking about with respect to Culture Vultures. What type of man take's another man's idea?"
zPhjuiD.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom