• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey GAF-Hop, need some recommendations here. I'm not super into hip-hop, but I ran across this Dutch track recently and I've been listening to it on repeat for days now. Anything else comparable to it (any language will do, hell I don't even understand Dutch)?

Dio - Aye ft. Sef

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
yo fuck those low rent Run DMC's fam, here's a tight laurny verse tho

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Just to point out though, the Run DMC thing in the video is pretty intentional (obviously, haha). Here's another track of Dio's that's not like that: Dio - Cool ft. Jayh I think the beats in Dio's songs are my favorite thing about his stuff. It's real good shit. Pretty different from the stuff I usually hear from American hip-hop (keep in mind I don't listen to a lot of it, so I'm probably just missing out on the American equivalent).

Nibel

ikvhujpv9d52cw4lz8.gif

smh....

Isn't this such a predictable next step though? Modern gospel and contemporary Christian music has long aped the sound of secular music. Granted nearly all American music is rooted in gospel but I'm moreso talking about how Kirk Franklin and others have taken specific secular sounds and gospel-ized them to expand the appeal. I remember new jack swing gospel in the 90s, plus all the alt rock Christian stuff of that era that could easily be mistaken for Barenaked Ladies or Savage Garden.

Even when I was religious I found this shit to be so cynical.

Ninja Dom

Harry Fraud makes some damn fine music

He fucking does.

I'm really into his beats. Ever since French Montana first worked with him. And I got into French through the greatest rapper alive, Max B.

In fact, for me, the Harry Fraud produced French Montana EP that ca,=me out at the end of 2014 is probably my favourite release of 2014.

What Harry Fraud are you listening to?

big ander

The album that overcast recommended is amazing and is actually an excellent "indie" album. If you haven't listen to it yet, read his write-up on it and download Spotify to listen to it

The person to recommend an album this week is....

big ander!
image.php

I apologize for being so late on this, finals are coming up and I have numerous projects I have to complete, so I've been slack as of lately on other stuff

Aight still deciding between a few but I'll probably write something up later today.

I'd completely missed overcast's pick too, so I just got it this morning. Destroyer's been a blind spot for me for a minute. Streethawk might not have me desperately wanting to hear more, but I definitely see myself slowly checking out more Destroyer over the years. Good solid record. Love the piano all over. Otherwise a dependable chamber/glam sound, vocally Bejar sounds a bit like Billy Corgan trying to do Bowie or Reed (or Bowie doing Reed). Lyrically something in the storytelling was reminding me of Silver Jews. Enjoyed Bejar's references like the Joy Division quoting/altering. And either the melody on "Strike" is lifted from somewhere or it's just one of those excellent tunes that sounds so familiar it's timeless.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
He fucking does.

I'm really into his beats. Ever since French Montana first worked with him. And I got into French through the greatest rapper alive, Max B.

In fact, for me, the Harry Fraud produced French Montana EP that ca,=me out at the end of 2014 is probably my favourite release of 2014.

What Harry Fraud are you listening to?

I've listened to Blue/Green just about every night for the past 2 weeks and I even went back and listened to Saab Stories. I didn't really like Bronson at that stage of his career, but the album works pretty well. But that's largely because of Fraud's beats.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

And they wonder why young people are leaving the church. Not everyone can identify or what to hear 100 year old hymns. Nothing wrong with putting the same message in a song that might actually get some airplay or listened to by younger people. I remember people mad at Hammer for making 'Pray'. It was basically a rap song saying he prayed everyday. People in some churches said he was using religion to sell records and questioned motives....right before they asked for the offering plate to be passed around.

Ninja Dom

I've listened to Blue/Green just about every night for the past 2 weeks and I even went back and listened to Saab Stories. I didn't really like Bronson at that stage of his career, but the album works pretty well. But that's largely because of Fraud's beats.

Yeah, I've only given Blue/Green one listen so far but I liked what I heard. I only streamed it off SoundCloud. Gonna have to organise a download of it. Dontchu is the instrumental of the same track on the French Montana 2014 EP I mentioned, Mac & Cheese: The Appetiser.

I also went back to Saaab Stories, and preferred it more this time around than on first listen. Alligator is my best track on that.

French Montana - Dontchu (produced by Harry Fraud), video.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just listened to Barter 6. Honestly I thought it was going to be terrible, because I don't think I had ever listened to a Thugger song before. I actually thought it was great, and I really enjoyed it. YT sounds somewhere between Gucci and Wayne and his weirdness keeps drawing me in. I dunno... is this considered bad? Cuz I liked it...

(Also I realized immediately that I heard YT's vocals on the Amherst remix Disco Thuggin when it was posted a while ago.)

HiResDes

Just listened to Barter 6. Honestly I thought it was going to be terrible, because I don't think I had ever listened to a Thugger song before. I actually thought it was great, and I really enjoyed it. YT sounds somewhere between Gucci and Wayne and his weirdness keeps drawing me in. I dunno... is this considered bad? Cuz I liked it...

(Also I realized immediately that I heard YT's vocals on the Amherst remix Disco Thuggin when it was posted a while ago.)
Why are you asking like there's this agreed upon consensus?...

HiResDes

Listening to Anthony's take on hip hop is like taking steakhouse recommendations from an outspoken vegan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom