• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally listened to Tetsuo & Youth today. Pretty dope album. I don't think there's a single track I dislike. Yeah, some are better than others, but I don't think any of them are crap.

Yea it's pretty good. I need to re-listen to it. It drags towards the end. The first few tracks are amazing though, especially Mural and Body Of Work. Prisoner 1&2 also...whew.

Courage

Then I'd say you're objectively wrong and have terrible taste in music.

Just kidding.
But on the real though, that's cool. Everyone's different, so everyone likes/dislikes different shit.
It's definitely better than most of his material, I'll tell you that.

Yea it's pretty good. I need to re-listen to it. It drags towards the end. The first few tracks are amazing though, especially Mural and Body Of Work. Prisoner 1&2 also...whew.
Yeah, it does start to drag, and the songs you named are actually some of my favorites on the album. Mural especially, because I love the Cortex song that was sampled. I remember the first time I heard it I thought it would make for a great beat.

It's definitely better than most of his material, I'll tell you that.
I've still never listened to Lasers and Food & Liquor 2 outside of a few songs, so I have no opinion there. His first two albums though, especially The Cool, are amazing. I'd place Tetsuo behind them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
deniro-world.jpg

Deniro Farrar - World On My Shoulders.

Raekwon - Fly International Luxurious Art album stream.

Ransom - The Commission freestyle.

big ander

alright here's my non-rap album pick and overwrought writeup.

Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire

full album on yt

cover of "May the Circle Be Unbroken", one of the essential bonus tracks
a 20 minute live rendition of "Suicide"

1989 album, the third of four studio LPs from Spacemen 3, British neo-psych duo, is their last real album-- the last time the partnership of Jason Pierce (since the center of Spiritualized) and Peter Kember (aka Sonic Boom or Spectrum, perhaps at the moment best known for collaborating closely on Panda Bear records) was remotely functional. Soon they'd acrimoniously part due to girls and accusations of artistic theft, and their final album Recurring ended up essentially being a double solo record, more of an epilogue for Spacemen 3 and prologue to what each guy would do next. Playing With Fire stands apart not just from that record, but from everything the group or really anyone had done before.

Spacemen 3's previous two albums, Sound of Confusion and The Perfect Prescription, are more immediately familiar. Garage rock/psych sounds across both, half of the first composed of covers, the entirety of the second working as an easily legible concept album about a drug trip. Playing With Fire lives up to the space rock genre descriptor by being far more alien. Kember had dug up an idiosyncratic guitar from the late 60s with built-in fuzzy and reverby effects, Pierce's guilty Catholic addict perspective had begun to fully crystallize, and together they drew from spiritual music, blues, garage, and the bleeding edge of psych and electronic to create something brand new. Kember was, at the time, experimenting with the idea of "minimalism as maximalism" and this album shows there was never much of a difference in the first place. The record is liquidy and pared down yet intoxicatingly full. The first four songs are a drowsy and cool whirlpool, simple echoing guitar lines and repetitive shiny synth organ, perhaps a bit of reverberating bass. "How Does It Feel?" (sometimes subtitled/alt titled "Repeater") is my favorite, a slow, sloooow build that breaks out every psychedelic trick of Kember's vintage gear to hypnotize. With side-ending "Revolution", the album's hyped single at the time, that calm is torched away. "Revolution" sounds like an anthem, though it's conspicuously nonspecific to the point that it seems to be cynically mocking itself, harnessing the energy of the idea of revolt without offering any real plan of action--an interpretation supported by the abrupt ending. On the second side Kember and Pierce return to the light for two tracks, like the spacey lullaby "So Hot (Wash Away All Of My Tears)". The peace is short-lived again, though this time the interruption is even more abrasive--and maybe one of my favorite songs ever. "Suicide", an eleven minute modular drone nightmare, "both a soundtrack to the act and a tribute to the band." (Live Spacemen 3 always explicitly dedicated it to Alan Vega and Martin Rev of Suicide, the pioneering provocative electronic/synthpunk band, before launching into versions that would allegedly go as long as 45 minutes.) This is Spacemen 3's "Sister Ray". Loops of fiery guitar and entrancing, noisy synth and the occasional programmed drum rise and fall and threaten to last forever as the album collapses in on itself. From the wreckage the album closes with a hymnal, "Lord Can You Hear Me?", and the stillness returns.

Suicide are the closest reference here, but connections can also be drawn to Can, VU, Bo Diddley. There's protopunk, electronic, drone rock, gospel, classic psych, blues. However with Playing With Fire Spacemen 3 got out from under their influences to fashion something strange and incredible. I don't expect many uninitiated to heavily like this
(or any, nobody I've shown the album to has haha)
. Pierce's spirituality can grate, the slowness can seem languid rather than calculated, the obliteration of songs like "Suicide" could be nothing but noise to you. For me, and for anyone else looking to psych music for its capacity to pull you in and occupy your mind, this is a singular and invaluable album, a masterpiece of distorted space rock that only deepens in power the more you play it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd put T&Y around F&L but under The Cool.

Best conscious album this year and Madonna is SotY. You see flashes of Lupe at his best but he never quite puts it all together and it definitely drags + has it's stinkers.

That Rae cover is cover of the year
Fly International Luxurious Art

Coolluck

Yeah, it does start to drag, and the songs you named are actually some of my favorites on the album. Mural especially, because I love the Cortex song that was sampled. I remember the first time I heard it I thought it would make for a great beat.

I've still never listened to Lasers and Food & Liquor 2 outside of a few songs, so I have no opinion there. His first two albums though, especially The Cool, are amazing. I'd place Tetsuo behind them.

I liked the album a lot. I'd probably place it behind The Cool but right above Food & Liquor. Lasers had some singles but as an album was meh-bad. F & L 2 had um...Lamborghini Angels?

I felt T&Y was ight but i haven't given it a listen since it initially came out I felt the beats and lyrics were there but musically I wasn't feeling any of the songs. It's definitely the best thing he's released since The Cool though.

overcast

Ohh, JC lol. I'm sure he'll be banned a week after his return.

You just can't go full JC on this site.
JC is a good dude, but yeah he goes wild too often. Seems like he gets a nice warm welcome back once a month then he's gone.
Agreed that it's pretty good, but I think it starts pretty poor until Dots and Lines - Body of Work. The Nikki Jean tracks are pretty meh, then it ends strong (Deliver, Madonna, and Adoration).

Don't care for Mural at all really.

DominoKid

you get better with practice. your mind gets used to thinking a few lines ahead.

we used to freestyle on the reg back in school. shit did more for my public speaking abilities than any class ever did.

PBY

Banned
Still at the office, 80 hour week incoming. Need some depressing low key/low fi ish ambient raps brehs. Make earl sound like Taylor Swift. Anyone?

Album of the year until Yen Lo drops. Fuck what some tryhards in here might tell you
iBu6PxYycBjep.png
Dunno breh...you know who could drop an album better than Ka's? Vince Staples. I'm super hyped about his debut. The label fucked him out of an AOTY contender last year IMO. That EP+the best tracks on Shyne Coldchain 2 would have easily been a top 5 release last year.

DominoKid

Dunno breh...you know who could drop an album better than Ka's? Vince Staples. I'm super hyped about his debut. The label fucked him out of an AOTY contender last year IMO. That EP+the best tracks on Shyne Coldchain 2 would have easily been a top 5 release last year.

aw man idk. you have a lot of faith in that dude, theres a lot of unremarkable stuff on both those projects. especially HCW

thought he missed a crucial development step last year

I was feeling Shyne Coldtrain 2 heavy last year but I wasn't too hot on the Hell Can Wait EP. For me it all comes down to which producers he works with for the project more stuff like his tape with Larry Fisherman and the two Shyne Coldtrain tapes would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom