• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Another part is that like pop, rap is full of people who are legitimately not talented and just collecting checks. Some of the music is so disposable, no lacking of artistic merit, so trash that I understand why some people associate "rap" with that. A person probably wouldn't exclusively associate "rock" with trash like nu metal for instance. And of course even trash rock can get props solely because someone is playing an instrument (oohhhhhhhhhh).

The funniest thing is cacs who truly think Eminem is the only talented rapper, and the only "musician" in rap "because he makes beats and raps!" Sometimes I wish I was a 5%er yall.
Yeah, Eminem gets so much credit from casual fans for some reason (at least in my experience). Maybe because he's white I dunno.

"Not usually into rap, but I just really respect Eminem's technical ability" is something I heard a co-worker say a few months ago. lmao.

codhand

Sometimes I wish I was a 5%er yall.

JeeN4at.png
naaaaaaah

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, Eminem gets so much credit from casual fans for some reason (at least in my experience). Maybe because he's white I dunno.

"Not usually into rap, but I just really respect Eminem's technical ability" is something I heard a co-worker say a few months ago. lmao.

Whiteness is a big part of it. I'm not necessarily saying these people are explicitly racist, but they seem to only identify with the music if the artist matches their color. I mean, why else would anyone listen to shit like Atmosphere...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Whiteness is a big part of it. I'm not necessarily saying these people are explicitly racist, but they seem to only identify with the music if the artist matches their color. I mean, why else would anyone listen to shit like Atmosphere...

Ok snuggles is getting an ass whuppin

Fjordson

Lmao. Yeah...was never into Atmosphere personally.

Not saying everyone who likes them is racist by any means, but that was another one like Eminem where a lot of kids I knew in school who usually disliked rap somehow enjoyed Atmosphere.

Until the day "talent" or "artistic merit" actually mean anything within the American entertainment industry outside of the value that stans give to them, I will always find this conversation tedious.

overcast

Ok snuggles is getting an ass whuppin
Lmao.
Was sitting in the bus today and listened to some Channel Orange. Anybody know what Frank is currently up to? Any news on his next album (which I suppose should be this year)?
He has a new album slated for July of this year. I am personally not reading too much into that Pigeons and Planes article about it being hip-hop focused. That's pretty much an opinion piece.

Fjordson

This is pretty random, but has Persian Rugs by partynextdoor ever been on any official release anywhere? I need a high quality version of this ish.

Koozek

Because Ciara is not good.

9th Wonder shared this article and video with me on why women are often excluded in discussions about greatest emcees and producers.
http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2015/05...nversation-about-hip-hops-greatest-mcs-video/

Will read later.
Now that I think about it, is there a big female, US Hip-Hop producer? I only know a German one (Melbeatz) who made dope bangers on her MPC in the early 00's for her husband especially, who's one of the biggest rappers here (Kool Savas). She had features from Kanye West, Mobb Deep and Ol’ Dirty Bastard on her debut album.

Melbeatz - Oh Oh feat. Kanye West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6scmySVi8iA

Melbeatz - OK! feat. Kool Savas & Samy Deluxe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9iYPQU47A

Nibel

Kool Savas
9jbmgzbr8u.png

Dude has completely lost his mind and stains his legacy with average music and questionable collaborations. His conspiracy fetish on FB and Twitter is hilarious though.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom