• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Now that you mention it, WMWTSO was probably more conceptually novel and effective at doing what Danny tried to do as well.

much drugs
so pain
very emotional extremes
many insight

marginalize the female perspective brehs
ibytbnyaVHOVUV.PNG

Courage

Now that you mention it, WMWTSO was probably more conceptually novel and effective at doing what Danny tried to do as well.

much drugs
so pain
very emotional extremes
many insight

marginalize the female perspective brehs
ibytbnyaVHOVUV.PNG

how much worse can your posts become?
full

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
delude yourself into defending and calling an album with songs like Radio Song and I Will cohesive and a classic brehs

can't handle these concepts
too much insight for me to see
influence on molly culture

full

lol

i'm no fan of nicki, but you're going to have to fool yourself into pretending she's not very very skilled. She can do multisyllables, internals, can spit very fast while maintaining a coherent flow, and makes a wide range of songs. She can do everything from pop to ymcmb staples to trappier atlanta stuff to east coast dusthead bait you guys go gaga for

In fact i remembered reading this a while back, that she on average writes longer multis than Eminem, Nas, Jay-Z and 2pac. Now of course this analysis might be a little biased against people that slant rhyme a bit more like Eminem or chain rhyme like Hov, but generally speaking she's no slouch.

anyway, underrate Nicki Minaj on the mic because she sells records and her sexuality offends/intimidates you, brehs.
qBsuB5s.png

Breh...that site's formula has Pac and TI with longer multis than Eminem, Nas and Hov. Basing one's formula on one metric seems rather bad to me. Who wants to bet that Pac is ahead largely due to penitentiary and Hennessy. And elementary.

Let's look at more syllable metrics.
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2011/03/how-to-appreciate-rap-music-3-is-nas.html
(that entire site is pretty interesting)

Nicki can rap, only a lame would deny that. In fact I'd have very little problem calling her better than Wayne and Drake, flow wise. But comprehensively you could easily argue all three don't venture far out of the woods of mediocrity. There's more to rapping than flow. And there's more to flow than just the length of multis (and I refuse to believe she has longer multis than Kool G Rap and a host of other rappers).

I won't go the HRD route and harp about her sexual lyrics. When I think of rap on a technical level I think about flow, sure. And when I think about lyrics I don't just think about content. I think about metaphors. Similes. Storytelling. And if we go back to flows, I think of how many flows someone has. How many flows does Nicki have? More than Drake no doubt, but not many. How many does G Rap have? Hov? Nas. Andre 3000. Come on.

Gotta say a tear ran down my dark melanin heavy cheek as I read your post breh. Good to see you discuss technical rap my brother. May I interest you in further salvationmy friend.
hfsittm.png

TLDR Bottom line: Nicki is a corny punchline rapper. And she doesn't even write her own lyrics so why did I just write so many paragraphs.

Courage

Mural is indulging in figurative language to the point where it's gone wrong. Most of Lupe's music is like that honestly. I ain't about to measure rhomboid angles and divide them by chicken cutlet to find out about the meaning of a song.

Dereck

I don't know if you guys do it on purpose, you're all hilarious as fuck sometimes when you argue. I'm crying just from reading the last page, and now this page

TesRI4q.png

Esch

Banned
Nicki can rap, only a lame would deny that. In fact I'd have very little problem calling her better than Wayne and Drake, flow wise. But comprehensively you could easily argue all three don't venture far out of the woods of mediocrity. There's more to rapping than flow. And there's more to flow than just the length of multis (and I refuse to believe she has longer multis than Kool G Rap and a host of other rappers).

Playboi, I'd take this at face value but I've seen you praise Ross off the strength of his flows when he's bang average in plenty other respects.
j4qnLFu3GZNiU.png

And if we go back to flows, I think of how many flows someone has. How many flows does Nicki have?

I don't actually wanna do the dumpster diving because that's too much work for Nicki but she can do a lot of different flows and styles lmao.

Gotta say a tear ran down my dark melanin heavy cheek as I read your post breh. Good to see you discuss technical rap my brother. May I interest you in further salvationmy friend.
hfsittm.png

I like technical aspects of rap and read about it plenty, just don't care to talk about it cause meh? I'm not trying to hear ppl do the calculus bar shit outside of battle rap more or less.

TLDR Bottom line: Nicki is a corny punchline rapper. And she doesn't even write her own lyrics so why did I just write so many paragraphs.

You still making this argument after that thread in ot
RckhEE5.png
man like Roy and Pickles set you straight

HiResDes

That sample is overused, or at least I've heard too many attempts at it.
Way too overused and Courage is pretty spot on, Pac and Kendrick are powerful because their lyrics are so well nuanced, containing enough depth to appease the pseudo scholar crowd and enough simplistic immediacy to be evocative to the commoners.

Playboi, I'd take this at face value but I've seen you praise Ross off the strength of his flows when he's bang average in plenty other respects.
j4qnLFu3GZNiU.png
I also give Spitta props. Ross is like Drake, a good rapper with a good flow. And like Spitta, he picks beats that perfectly fit his style.

I don't actually wanna do the dumpster diving because that's too much work for Nicki but she can do a lot of different flows and styles lmao.

Styles yea, I'd compare her to Busta Rhymes in that sense. But flows? Eh...like Drake she rarely switches things up.

You still making this argument after that thread in ot
RckhEE5.png
man like Roy and Pickles set you straight

I continue to reject that argument, especially for rap. How can you take a rapper seriously who doesn't write? I think Dr Dre has dope songs but the idea of putting him high on a rap list would be ludicrous, right?

Esch

Banned
Styles yea, I'd compare her to Busta Rhymes in that sense. But flows? Eh...like Drake she rarely switches things up.
I hate you and myself for making me do this

is this the same as this the same as this which is the same as and this or maybe even this
3Oz13hD.png
smh smh smh

I continue to reject that argument, especially for rap. How can you take a rapper seriously who doesn't write? I think Dr Dre has dope songs but the idea of putting him high on a rap list would be ludicrous, right?

well people in here take kanye seriously

people took Lauryn Hill seriously

i took Nauseir seriously when he released his untitled album

full

IrishNinja

many many MC's have ghostwriting, we just clown dre and the ones we know about moreso because he hasn't wanted to rap since like...the late 80's

Mural is indulging in figurative language to the point where it's gone wrong. Most of Lupe's music is like that honestly. I ain't about to measure rhomboid angles and divide them by chicken cutlet to find out about the meaning of a song.

how can peoples hate courage with posts like this

oh right he checks for some
trash.png
tho

The Message really is a strange track. It's like Dre just went in the booth and copied Royce's temp track 1:1 without changing anything about the delivery. I mean, most of the time you can clearly hear whoever wrote Dre's verse, but on such a personal song though? Iz weird mang

That's what I'm saying, there's a limit lol like cmon at least give me some struggle bars over someone else writing your shit on such a personal heavy topic. And I like Dre.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dre stan at heart but The Message rubs me wrong in so many ways.

I mean I like the song objectively but put into the context ugh

So I was listening to that Kissland remix tape that Toku posted probably fifty years ago and I realized the guy actually goes by Prince 85 or something and found his soundcloud...dude has some interesting stuff on there. Pretty stoked I found more Weeknd remixes, but this also caught my eye(ear?):

HOLD MY LIQUOR (Prince 85)

Esch

Banned
The Message being ghostwritten is the weirdest one

how you gon have somebody ghostwrite a song for your dead brotha tho

The Message really is a strange track. It's like Dre just went in the booth and copied Royce's temp track 1:1 without changing anything about the delivery. I mean, most of the time you can clearly hear whoever wrote Dre's verse, but on such a personal song though? Iz weird mang

Dre stan at heart but The Message rubs me wrong in so many ways.

I mean I like the song objectively but put into the context ugh

have someone else write a heartfelt song about your dead brother brehs

Convo reminding me of the funniest post in this thread thus far, brehs. is anyone even debating we should take a bar from this for our next OT?

shit still has me dying
TxRcqGw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom