• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Finished Touch down 2 Cause Hell. Good stuff. Like it a hair more than A.L.L.A. but have only listened to both a single time through. Similarly inconsistent though.
TD2CH starts quite strong then drops a bit then recovers, whereas A.L.L.A. is slightly above average most of the way through.

I'd be curious to hear how Barter 6 stacks up against those two. (haven't listened to B6)

Looks like so far nothing is touching TPAB and Days With Yen Lo (based on you guys, I haven't listened yet) besides
Sremmlife

Haven't had much time with the new boosie. So far I feel the mix tape last year was better.

Bout to dive into the Jeezy tape.

Courage

Rocky's problem isn't even about going mainstream. It's about execution. He described this being a very 70's psychedelic influenced album and that to me sounds interesting. Then you hear the album and realize he never delivers, as he meanders with beat switches, putting in tracks that break the flow and rapping about stupid shit. Like, I feel the dude is too self-conscious for his own good and that can harm his projects as a whole. Even Bronson did a much better job at what Rocky was claiming to do, with some of the guitars, melodies, and general atmosphere of his songs.

I don't know how much of a say Yams had at this point in Rocky's career, but I can truly believe he was behind Live.Love.ASAP because that shit was concise, cohesive and more importantly, it had distinct identity. As of now, Rocky's personality isn't compelling enough for me to listen to what he says and his vision isn't complete enough to actually give a fuck about another full length.

Can someone explain to me why Multiply isn't on this album? That was like my favourite track around the new year

Edit: liking the production, but Rocky's just not.. enough, I guess

Koozek

That Ye part.
doc-rivers.gif

Album's boring on the first listen.
---

You don't listen listen to Thugga. Just enjoy his vocals like an instrument or a crazy synth. It's like my ears don't even register it as language :D Maybe why I have so much fun with these leaks.
---

Oh, someone mentioned Endtroducing. Haven't heard that for years. I know what I'm going to do later.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Breh, out of all things you can use to criticize Kendrick, you going with this?
Not really saying anything would be a bit strong considering at least the presence of a direction, but we're in the ballpark as far as execution goes.

Not that either have to say something, of course! I need to give the Rocky once more over before giving conclusive thoughts, but for the most part it's cool, just kind of scatterbrain as far as songs go, and I don't think I care very much for some of the patterns you see across the album (like the samples, for instance).

Nibel

Like they know they can't put this on their resumes

lmao
slow-clap-gif6puyn.gif

I know Overcast was interested, but I shared my thoughts on Ex Machina in the movie thread, very light spoiler hints - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165217689&postcount=750

Nice review; I have a similar opinion about it. Loved Oscar Isaac's performance (especially
the disco scene that came out of nowhere and feels really creepy
) and thought the plot was way less predictable than one would assume with these kind of movies.

Rocky finally catching up to Kendrick
lupe1.png

Fam no

Courage

Kendrick's album-long statement on black empowerment, racial issues and personal conflict has been equated to... an ASAP Rocky Rita Ora diss.

Enzo has officially lost his mind.

Esch

Banned
Like they know they can't put this on their resumes

APPEARANCES

• Tip Drill
  • Big Pimpin'
  • Alphabetical Onslaught
  • Sippin on Some Syrup
Not really saying anything would be a bit strong considering at least the presence of a direction, but we're in the ballpark as far as execution goes.

Not that either have to say something, of course! I need to give the Rocky once more over before giving conclusive thoughts, but for the most part it's cool, just kind of scatterbrain as far as songs go, and I don't think I care very much for some of the patterns you see across the album (like the samples, for instance).

ibeZd5ztykiSGz.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Photographic evidence of the effectiveness of the statement made:

yessss.png

EDIT: May this also serve as a symbol to encourage reading comprehension.

Courage

Photographic evidence of the effectiveness of the statement made:

yessss.png

It's almost unanimously considered to be an amazing album. It obviously resonated with people. Unless you're saying it's a matter of conveyance, and in that case I'm gonna question your judgement once more.

Esch

Banned
You mean Kendrick's album where he just now discovers the world isn't fair ala J. Cole?
dxcDOef.gif

RckhEE5.png
oh so now we gwan act like Kendrick found his kufi randomly on To Pimp a Butterfly huh

HiiPower? Ronald Reagan Era? Barbed Wire? Keisha/Tammy's Song? Heaven and Hell? like half the theming and songs of GKMC?

I've found myself in a bit of a conundrum brehs

Continue trolling Average Lamar
r2FVFK3.gif
Realize that means you're siding with a graduate of ICYeezy College

RckhEE5.png
oh so now we gwan act like Kendrick found his kufi randomly on To Pimp a Butterfly huh

HiiPower? Ronald Reagan Era? Barbed Wire? Keisha/Tammy's Song? Heaven and Hell? like half the theming and songs of GKMC?

Oh, he had it

But he didn't pull out the dashiki until now
6TeyqgI.png

Esch

Banned
Oh, he had it

But he didn't pull out the dashiki until now
6TeyqgI.png

I mean...............

Half of Kendricks whole loosely defined persona on these earlier albums is that of a kid disconnected morally yet constantly in observance of and partially participating in the violence and 'negative culture' of the hood. Night of the Living Junkies, HOC, etc etc. It's a consistent theme throughout all his albums.

I'm dead ass sure this whole 'oh Kendrick on his
S5UES6M.png
now ' is a case of the not really getting where he's from this whole time. Or maybe because he changed his image to look like Ol' Dirty Bastard's disappointing 3rd son.

Storm Chamber, tell us your thoughts on Tetsuo & Youth.
TBQ3Tii.png

A lyrical tour de force almost in the vein of Ras Kass' Soul on Ice but with far better production and despite his labyrinthine usage of metaphors, a far more direct critique of issues in the black community and society as a whole than any of his peers.

A true masterpiece in a genre contantly plagued with mediocrity
yaQFQT2.png

I mean really though, most of ya'll hate Lupe because nobody told you it was cool to like him again. Maybe if he gets a Young Thug feature or puts on some soundcloud drill rappers you supposedly like but get embarrased if someone brings them up, the tide will turn.

But I aint said nothing
To0FhtF.png

HiResDes

A lyrical tour de force almost in the vein of Ras Kass' Soul on Ice but with far better production and despite his labyrinthine usage of metaphors, a far more direct critique of issues in the black community and society as a whole than any of his peers.

A true masterpiece in a genre contantly plagued with mediocrity
yaQFQT2.png
That opinion is somehow worse than Enzo

Nibel

IIRC most people here - me included - thought that the new Lupe was aight after expecting it to be something more like Lasers. It's still not near the levels of F&L or TC though, at least for me.

Esch

Banned
As a career Lupe hater I resent the notion that we've been told to hate him. Hating/stanning Lupe wars is an olde gaf hop tradition, RIP ReconYoda. I don't think anyone hates him, but his stans here really fled the sinking ship around Lasers and never looked back (i'm looking at you Overcast)

Or they all got banned for being insane human beings.

The production, yes.

I don't hate Soul on Ice's production at all, but everytime I listen to the title track's remix, I can't help but wonder what we could've gotten

As a career Lupe hater I resent the notion that we've been told to hate him. Hating/stanning Lupe wars is an olde gaf hop tradition, RIP ReconYoda. I don't think anyone hates him, but his stans here really fled the sinking ship around Lasers and never looked back (i'm looking at you Overcast)

Or they all got banned for being insane human beings.
Honestly, I almost got off the bandwagon myself. The album was that bad. But I figured the guy who gave us Revenge of The Nerds and The Cool wasn't done yet

And here we are today, basking in the glory that is T&Y
zZXPyvA.png

Fjordson

Not sure I'm totally into Alla. Like Courage said, should have just gone all in with the psychedelic stuff. Could have been interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom