• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Shit is cool but seems more in Isiah Rashad's lane than Jay Rock's. Gotta love the horn, hell the whole beat is dope.

Naming it Money Trees Deuce is dumb.

Jay Rock needs to just say fuck it and call DJ Quik.

MOWXkcw.gif

This is solid. Not straying far from the TDE sound, but it's solid.

Yeah, I'm the one making it black and white when y'all comparing realistic middle-aged men's movement to submarines and a gravity-defying cop slash ultramurderer in an arcadey shooter.

It's not like Uncharted either where your character has to pause and calculate the degrees they're gonna turn on graph paper before they do so.

There's nothing realistic about how the characters move (specifically during combat) in GTA. Weighty? Sure. Realistic? Nope. You can feel the game's animation and physics engine fighting you every step of the way as you try to make what should be quick and painless moves for anyone under the age of 50 who's still robbing banks. Hell, the game's barely balanced for your character's abilities- every single enemy is a high damage dealing hitscan sharpshooter from 100 yards with a pistol.

And hold on, you saying GTA's locomotion is better than Uncharted's? Am I reading this right?

Courage

I still really like GTA V but the movement is definitely my biggest issue. Going through doors shouldn't be a struggle in any game. Don't get me started on the cover mechanic.

Fjordson

Never had a problem with how GTA felt, especially V.

And you aren't alone on Uncharted, Enzo. Always felt like gahbage to me.

yeah it's certainly more fun. it has it's problems but still it's more fun the last one, dodging and attacking at the right time sometimes feels pretty satisfying.

just gotta stop rolling all over the place, got used to somersaulting like a moron too much in the last game.
Lmao exactly what I have to resist. Early on I would freak out against groups of enemies and just start rolling all over the place. Actually makes the fight harder since you lose any rhythm and can roll right into damage from an enemy.

Once I started dodging + counter attacking and using signs I started enjoying the combat a lot.

I think Max Payne had better movement/gunplay than uncharted for sure

But as fun as GTA is the control in that the manual gunplay in that can be a damn mess

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's nothing realistic about how the characters move (specifically during combat) in GTA. Weighty? Sure. Realistic? Nope. You can feel the game's animation and physics engine fighting you every step of the way as you try to make what should be quick and painless moves for anyone under the age of 50 who's still robbing banks. Hell, the game's barely balanced for your character's abilities- every single enemy is a high damage dealing hitscan sharpshooter from 100 yards with a pistol.

And hold on, you saying GTA's locomotion is better than Uncharted's? Am I reading this right?
This is one of those moments where I'm just going to assume you ran the game on PC and were bottlenecked by your CPU or something, or downloaded some Russian extra-difficulty-yes fanmod of the game.

Maybe your shots didn't register so the enemies looked like they were omnipotent because you missed their heads or it went through their model and you only saw the bullets that hit you, perhaps the framerate was a bit choppy so you couldn't gauge your character's movement in a single direction accurately. At least, that would explain this strange account of what the game's combat and motion is like. Holy hyperbole Batman.

Fjordson

V was a step down from MP 3 I'll admit, which is a little weird. You'd figure the R* studios share code and shit but maybe with the long dev time they already had that stuff in place. I dunno. That being said, it was never a problem for me.

I'm betting their next game will be more like MP 3. You can already see that they heard some of the complaints with all of the added control options in the PS4/Xbone versions.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the movement in V never really bothered me much either

I just want a new Red Dead, man

Yo now my PC is at fault for Rockstar North's inability to step it up on a mechanics level. I don't know how to respond anymore.

And concerning Uncharted: If there's anything that game gets right it's third person character movement. It's effortless. And even when they went to The Last of Us and used a more weighty movement system it still felt better than ANYTHING Rockstar's ever made. Sprinting into an elbow smash in that game is like visceral combat 101.

Youse guys are crazy

Fjordson

Eh. Jak 2 was the last time I truly had fun with a Naughty Dog game gameplay-wise. I liked Last of Us more than Uncharted because of all the options you had aside from guns blazing, but still wasn't great imo.

Isn't Jak 2 widely considered the worst one? Where they aped GTA (unsuccessfully) because why not?

Fjordson pls, I thought you were making some progress coming around on Sleeping Dogs. Don't do dis 2 me

Courage

Jak 2 is awful for sure. First one is still pretty good after playing it last year though.

Ratchet and Clank > Jak and Daxter

Esch

Banned
MP3 was the one with weird movement imo.

Rockstar actually adds weight to all their characters and blends animations, but I'm not trying to have that in an arcadey game. That's why Uncharted works great, they give you that 5'3" 110lb Canadian gafhop poster movement for a 225lb 6'4" killer of multi ethnic pirates.

Fjordson

Isn't Jak 2 widely considered the worst one? Where they aped GTA (unsuccessfully) because why not?

Fjordson pls, I thought you were making some progress coming around on Sleeping Dogs. Don't do dis 2 me
Lmao, maybe it was Jak 3?? It was open-world though I remember that. But I liked it! I mean I liked Last of Us too, just dragged a little for me after a while.

Not a masterpiece like Sleeping Dogs. What a game. Of course by the time I come around on it the only upcoming game in the series is some free to play thing. So sad.

That's why Uncharted works great, they give you that 5'3" 110lb Canadian gafhop poster movement for a 225lb 6'4" killer of multi ethnic pirates.

I don't always kill multi-ethnic pirates, but when I do, I need the athleticism of a 5'3" 110 lbs Canadian GafHop poster.

Not a masterpiece like Sleeping Dogs. What a game. Of course by the time I come around on it the only upcoming game in the series is some free to play thing. So sad.

; ______ ;

DominoKid

Jak 2 gameplay was dope. It was just too much of a thematic departure from the original.

I always fucked with the Ratchet series more tho. That couldve been a bigger series for Sony.

GTAV plays like other GTA games, serviceably. MP3 controlled well. R* makes good games, and you get used to all movement schemes.
Their only real misstep is being gigantic cacs with the embarrassing year-long generation-spanning online heists rollout. Shameful.
give me RDR2 already

edit: also you know Liberty City Stories had the best hip-hop station
Tracklist:

Method Man - "All I Need"
Big Pun & Fat Joe - "Twinz (Deep Cover '98)"
Noreaga - "N.O.R.E."
Onyx (group) (feat. Noreaga and Big Pun) - "Shut 'Em Down (Remix)"
Big Pun (feat. Fat Joe) - "Beware"
DMX (feat. DJ Clue?, Jadakiss, Styles P, Drag-On & Eve) - "Ruff Ryders' Anthem (Remix)"
Mobb Deep - "Shook Ones Pt. 2"
DMX (feat. Sheek Louch) - "Get At Me Dog"
Raekwon - "Incarcerated Scarfaces"
Redman (feat. Method Man) - "Do What Ya Feel"
The Lox & Black Rob - "Chain Gang Freestyle"
The Lox - "Chest2chest Freestyle"

GTAV plays like other GTA games, serviceably. MP3 controlled well. R* makes good games, and you get used to all movement schemes.
Their only real misstep is being gigantic cacs with the embarrassing year-long generation-spanning online heists rollout. Shameful.
give me RDR2 already

yup.

yeah i need a RDR 2 next. then they can work on their next GTA or another Max Payne.

speaking of cowboys is the dark tower series worth reading? i kinda wanna get into it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
give me RDR2 already
Facts. Give you what you promised a year and a half later, fuck that.

I want R*'s next game to do what RDR did just in another time/setting in history (that also isn't modern). I know that's vague, and it's not like the Western/American frontier is worn out by good games already, but I'd rather something new than another similar tale.

Or maybe an expanded Bully. The possibilities are endless for Bully/school-themed games IMO, so many different cultural things to attack.

DominoKid

I want R*'s next game to do what RDR did just in another time/setting in history (that also isn't modern). I know that's vague, and it's not like the Western/American frontier is worn out by good games already, but I'd rather something new than another similar tale.

Or maybe an expanded Bully. The possibilities are endless for Bully/school-themed games IMO, so many different cultural things to attack.
New Bully could be so 👹
R* cant make that these days.

Someone needs to do a samurai take on a RDR style game. Unfortunately it won't be Rockstar, but I'll take a Ubisoft version of that at this point. Something, anything.

And RDR didn't even scratch the surface of what they can do with the setting so I hope they really go all out again (without any GTAV style regressions in core gameplay). I really want them to play up the outlaw, gang, gold, and war aspects of the genre. More mythical drifter stuff as well.

A new Bully has been my most wanted game from them for years. I don't know if they have it in them to make a smaller quirky game like that anymore though. Even Max Payne 3 which should've been a mid-budget title was like $100m of bad modern design decisions.

Something Bully-related would be nice. I'd personally love to see a dirty-cop related GTA.

HiResDes

Witcher and Bethesda's are quite different. Witcher is much more linear. It has a more immersive story line and more personal context because the developers and writers are able to focus on a character with a singular story, personality, and traits. Whereas both Fallout and Elder Scrolls are much more open in their plot devices, game play, and combat styles.

Cudder

GTA V controls way better in first person view than it did in 3rd person. The game is actually more fun that way too.

Also, been playing Transistor on the PS4, shit that game is good.

Fjordson

yeah i need a RDR 2 next. then they can work on their next GTA or another Max Payne.

speaking of cowboys is the dark tower series worth reading? i kinda wanna get into it
I think so. Some people will say it loses steam after the first 4 books or so, but I loved the whole thing.

It's not just a western though, so depends on what you're looking for. Lots of sci-fi and fantasy stuff and King gets really bizarre in the last few books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom