• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

2i8gdl9.gif

Trey

Some disgusting opinions aired in here, but I'll forgive you all this time because you lot exorcised these demon thoughts all at once.

I agree that calling it Money Trees Deuce was stupid.

Escape from New York > The Thing > Halloween > Big Trouble in Little China

The Thing > Prince of Darkness > Big Trouble In Little China > Halloween > Escape From NY > In The Mouth of Madness > Escape From LA (yeah I said it) > Assault on Precinct 13 > They Live > Starman > Vampires > The Fog > Christine > Ghosts of Mars > Dark Star

Malcolm X > Do The Right Thing > Jungle Fever > He Got Game > 25th Hour

Hopefully Chiraq is a return to form.

The Thing > Prince of Darkness > Big Trouble In Little China > Halloween > Escape From NY > In The Mouth of Madness > Escape From LA (yeah I said it) > Assault on Precinct 13 > They Live > Starman > Vampires > The Fog > Christine > Ghosts of Mars > Dark Star

I was debating between Escape from New York and The Thing both great badass Kurt Russell roles.

Oh I put Do The Right Thing at 1 and 25th Hour at 2.

I haven't seen 25th Hour in a minute tbh I remember it being great though. I can understand Do The Right Thing as his one but I feel Malcolm is his magnum opus especially since it's the movie he wanted to make his whole life I can't imagine anyone pulling that movie as well as he did.

Tokubetsu

Ghosts of Mars is way too low. It's garbage but It's go Michael Ironside, Ice Cube and motherfucking 90s fox Natasha Henstridge so that shit needs to be above, or at level with Assault on Precinct 13.

Also Escape from LA is garbage. Full on garbage with very little redeeming qualities. I knew that when I was like 9 the first time I saw it and that's still the case. Ghosts of Mars is the better and more competent film by leaps and bounds.

Big Trouble in Little China is great but maybe a little high especially with how you recognize the god body that is Prince of Darkness. Underrated as hell and in a weird way, probably Carpenter's most subtle and subdued film.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords. Being carried away by surging waves. Being thrown into the midst of a great fire. Being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake. Falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease, or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day, without fail, one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai.

Ghosts of Mars is way too low. It's garbage but It's go Michael Ironside, Ice Cube and motherfucking 90s fox Natasha Henstridge so that shit needs to be above, or at level with Assault on Precinct 13.

Also Escape from LA is garbage. Full on garbage with very little redeeming qualities. I knew that when I was like 9 the first time I saw it and that's still the case. Ghosts of Mars is the better and more competent film by leaps and bounds.

Big Trouble in Little China is great but maybe a little high especially with how you recognize the god body that is Prince of Darkness. Underrated as hell and in a weird way, probably Carpenter's most subtle and subdued film.

Ghosts of Mars is totally in the wrong place, you're right. I don't know why I put it below The Fog and Christine which are both kinda dull. Cube, 90s Natasha Henstridge, and gotdamn Pam Grier in a Carpenter siege framework should not be that low.

And I recognize that Escape From LA is garbage, but it's so stupid it's amazing. And not in a modern ironic self aware way, but genuine great terribleness.

Big Trouble is just a lot of fun, I don't know what else to say about that one. And yeah Prince of Darkness is incredibly underrated. I've grown to like it more and more every time i watch it.

Tokubetsu

Ghosts of Mars is totally in the wrong place, you're right. I don't know why I put it below The Fog and Christine which are both kinda dull. Cube, 90s Natasha Henstridge, and gotdamn Pam Grier in a Carpenter siege framework should not be that low.

And I recognize that Escape From LA is garbage, but it's so stupid it's amazing. And not in a modern ironic self aware way, but genuine great terribleness.

Big Trouble is just a lot of fun, I don't know what else to say about that one. And yeah prince of Darkness is incredibly underrated. I've grown to like it more and more every time i watch it.

My bad too idk why I thought Michael Ironside was in Ghosts but yes! Pam Grier!

Tokubetsu

The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords. Being carried away by surging waves. Being thrown into the midst of a great fire. Being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake. Falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease, or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day, without fail, one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai.

been had read hagakure breh

You're thinking of Starship Troopers right? I was Googling Ironside like waitaminute what

yeah this is what happens when you watch too much genre shit and syfy specials. A lot of these dudes archetype roles bleed together lol.

FZZ

Banned
That Nirvana thread bums me out

One day white America and the rest of the world will at least appreciate Hip-hop in some form

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

One day white America and the rest of the world will at least appreciate Hip-hop in some form

They do though. Thats the most horseshit part of that fucking thread, a bunch of people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about. I have lived and visited all over the world and I have yet to go to a country that didn't have a strong hip hop community. Sometimes it's small, sometimes it's quite large. But it's always there, and it's always dedicated. And the more mainstream rap like Drake and Flo-rida is loved by a large portion of the young population the way it is in the US as well.

This was going really well until Escape from LA > Assault on Precinct 13/They Live/Starman

We diss OT a lot, but hasn't a Hip Hop album won AOTY every time HRD does one of them

and unless something wild happens(like new Ye is godlike), TPAB will probably walk away with this year as well

and if we're still doing this

In Utero > Nevermind > Unplugged > Bleach

Drake will be a free agent soon right? Would be hilarious if he signed a distribution deal with Interscope. If anyone could make exclusive content work on a streaming platform it's him. His other albums would remain on every service, but the new one would just be on Apple.

Turning down Spotify could be an issue but I'm assuming Apple is going to crush the building.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I checked with the CACcil, we're cool with hip hop and rap now. They wanted to open back up discussions about being able to rap every word of their favorite songs out loud. I think we tabled the discussion last time at "if they're doing it in a car, and the car is in motion and they're riding solo with the windows no less than 75 percent up" it still wasn't okay.

effzee

Where is this coming from? Outside of pop music, hip hop is probably the most popular genre in the world.

Who do you think is buying all these Kanye, Jay Z, Drake, and Em albums? Some hip hop purists? Only the black or other minority communities? In fact that's why this whole notion that white fans only like Em or that they don't understand rap is extremely lazy.

The fans actually purchasing are proportionally more white than anything else. No need of the persecution complex of "they don't understand or appreciate!". I think we are past that.

Music album says have dropped all over and a lot of guys who made money of traditional album sales need to find new revenue streams but as a genre it's probably the most popular it's ever been.

Album sales wish, Hip-Hop/R&B lagged pretty far behind Rock(14% to 33% respectively in 2014). Song downloads its third behind Rock and Pop, too

but streaming tho

longform-22560-1431003166-10.jpg

effzee

Album sales wish, Hip-Hop/R&B lagged pretty far behind Rock(14% to 33% respectively in 2014). Song downloads its third behind Rock and Pop, too

but streaming tho

longform-22560-1431003166-10.jpg

But how do you quantify how much hip-hop influences even pop music? The production and features on a lot of pop stuff is purely hip hop.

I think Rock is probably the genre surviving the most off traditional means. But I definitely sense it's presence diminishing overall and from the mainstream.

Here in NYC we got two pop stations, two rap stations, and a bunch of light music stations but the rock channels died out.

Of course there are those who don't understand or appreciate Hip-hop but that's true of every genre. Largely hip-hop is past being a small genre of music which only a niche group enjoy.

As asiatic original men (black men) we overlook how popular country music is. Multiple country artists do huge album sales numbers yearly, the tours are successful, and the demand is so high that their songs are penetrating the Billboard 100 charts despite not getting any play on many pop stations.

I'd agree hip hop is dominating a lot of culture in terms of look and sound (notice the trap influences in a lot of edm pop now) but ultimately that "other world" of mainstream pop is far bigger. Only Drake, Kanye, Eminem, Nicki, and Jay exist in that world.

Does rock truly matter now? I can't think of any new-ish Rock groups that have taken the Coldplay/U2/etc blueprint and built into big presences in culture. Right now it seems like rock is kind of stale, and there doesn't seem to be a movement going on. The 90s were grunge and post grunge, with other shit thrown in too. When I was 12, nu metal was the thing. Then the garage band thing happened. Then Coldplay got huge. What's the "thing" now?

(Btw I'm not holding up Coldplay as some great band, I'm just using them as an example of commercial success)

White people deserve a round of applause for getting absolutely turnt the fuck up for a group of gangsters, dealers and five percenters from Brooklyn and Staten Island who barely made radio friendly music for the better part of the first decade of their existence. Aint no Wu Tang fan like a white Clan fan, in my experience their fandom as it pertains to that group is just a notch higher than any other demographic.

Esch

Banned
Rush Hour 3 is Back to the Future 3 tier. AKA some shit that you'd get thrown into a DVD clearance bundle 2 months after the release in a walmart.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
When rock remembers it's supposed to be angry and melodic, and not one or the other, it's going to make a hell of a resurgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom