• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jarren Benton, CyHi The Prynce & Joell Ortiz in the Team Backpacker Cypher. This is dope. CyHi went in.

I grew up with some night riders, Hasselhoff
Who won't stop wrapping white, Asher Roth

Lil Dicky ft. Fetty Wap & Rich Homie Quan - Save That Money.

is this really happening, have we had a GAF-Hop discussion on Lil Dicky before?

AirBnB the lease, I'm never motherfucking there
I'm out in Cali, why the fuck is my company in Delaware

I kind of fuck with it except the last bit.. RHQ and Fetty showed up too.. I feel dirty for this tho

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gibbs is pretty much the only one that hasn't dropped a disappointing album in the past couple of years.

Q is on my short list, but Oxymoron was JayEhhhh.gif

Killer Mike also hasn't disappointed, but I only somewhat like RAP Music and RTJ1. RTJ2 was fire though.

Kendrick. I hated TPAB, but Section.80 and GKMC are two of my favorite albums of the past 10 years, with GKMC in my top 10 of all time.

Jon Connor should be up there, but he sort of forgot to put out a fucking album and seems content to rap over his favs beats like a dime store Canibus.

Jay Sosa

One be lo
Kendrick
Phonte

That's all I can come up with. Is One be lo even rapping anymore? Not saying there is no talent..but Top 5? eh...

sheeit forgot about Currensy, he definitely deserves to be Top 5

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Top 5 right now in terms of what? As far as what-you-have-done-for-me-lately in consistent output over the last year there's really only Young Thug and then everyone else.

A lot of people who can make good arguments for 2-5: Kanye, Drake, Travi$ Scott, Big Sean, Mike WiLL if he counts, etc. I'd probably go with those first 4. Ye got his hand in different things that are poppin' and had some fire singles, Drake kept his name hot pretty strategically via singles and has probably the most momentum ATM, Sean put out some super replayable joints and a solid album that's gonna stick for a while and has been murdering features consistently, and while La Flame is more of a personal choice (relatively inconsistent as far as features go), he put out some joints last year and has been working with pretty much everybody who's anybody towards his solo.

2014 really fucked the game up when a lot of names sat out or projects got delayed that still haven't dropped. A lot of of the middle guys put out a lot of garbage verses too (looking at you, Q).

Esch

Banned
-Ka
-Kendrick
-Shabazz Palaces
-Freddie Gibbs
-Killer Mike

hon:

Earl, Lil Herb, Drake, Vince Staples, Roc Marci

overcast

-Kendrick Lamar
-Danny Brown
-Freddie Gibbs
-Schoolboy Q (He will definitely drop off if his next album is disappointing)
-Killer Mike

Honorable Mentions:
Drake, Earl, Vince Staples, Ka. A few others need more material.

Kdot
Freddie Gibbs
Q
Vince Staples
Curren$y

Honorable Mentions:
Earl, Killer Mike, Big KRIT, Cole, Denzel Curry, Joey Badass

PT3 was kinda weak though IMO.

PT 1 > 2 > 3

I still think B4DA$$ was dope tbh

Might've put Rocky up there if he didn't drop a weed plate that rivals that sean album

Currensy
Ka
Freddie Gibbs
Black Milk
Action Bronson

Honorable: Kendrick, Killer MIke/RTJ, Shabazz Palaces, BONES, Oddisee, French Montana (w/ Harry Fraud only), Deniro Farrar

I'm sure I forgot somebody, but that top 5 are artists I seem to be constantly listening to and looking forward to projects from.

I dunno about order but

Drake
Currensy
Freddie Gibbs
Danny Brown
Young Thug

Are ppl that I've been finding consistently good to listen to at the moment. Young Thug is only on there because of how prolific and consistent he is, dude can be replaced at any time tho imo. Such is the nature of trap

Hm: Kendrick, Starlito, Ka, Bones, Kanye, action bronson etc

No Em?

either racist or following "no legends" stipulation
patrice.png

I guess it's not surprising that so many of us have similar lists. GOAT rap fans, pat yourselves on the back brehs.

Funny that if we did this a couple years ago Danny Brown would definitely be in most people's top 5. Not saying he fell off the earth - if I did a top 10 he might be in it, or barely miss it - but ultimately I'm waiting to see what he does next.

Nearly every list has at least Gibbs on it. Dat God flow

I feel kinda bad leaving kendrick out, as much as I found his new album unenjoyable to listen to some of the themes and content on that were damn good

Fjordson

I guess it's not surprising that so many of us have similar lists. GOAT rap fans, pat yourselves on the back brehs.

Funny that if we did this a couple years ago Danny Brown would definitely be in most people's top 5. Not saying he fell off the earth - if I did a top 10 he might be in it, or barely miss it - but ultimately I'm waiting to see what he does next.
Exactly how I feel. I still like Danny and he'd be near my top 10, maybe towards the bottom, but not top 5 for me atm. Just didn't like Old as much as XXX or The Hybrid.

Nearly every list has at least Gibbs on it. Dat God flow

I feel kinda bad leaving kendrick out, as much as I found his new album unenjoyable to listen to some of the themes and content on that were damn good
Think we're the only two without Kendrick in their top 5 lol.

Eos

Kendrick
Kanye
Freddie Gibbs
RTJ/Killer Mike

5th spot would probably be a mix of rocky/ferg/travis/tde

where tf is danny brown at

real list:
troy ave
flo-rida
eminem
birdman
yelawolf

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He pretty much did fall off the earth. Like zero memorable appearances period besides Rambunctious since Old (2013). Not even sure how his name can appear in such a list right now.

I forgot to put Young Thug in my honorables. I'm lying to myself and everyone else by not doing that. Been playing all his recent stuff pretty much non-stop the last month.

And yeah my interest in Danny Brown fell off a bit, as did Schoolboy Q (even though H&C is still my favorite TDE release). Not that I won't check out their new albums or that they're not good anymore, but it's not the same as it was a few years ago. What have you done for me lately and all that.

Grzi

Freddie Gibbs
Drake
Kendrick
Denzel Curry
Rick Ross

Honorable mentions: Starlito, Big KRIT, Deniro Farrar, probably some more dudes, can't think of any right now

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ka, RHQ, Rick Ross, Kendrick, Action and RTJ definitely in honourable mentions.

Rozay's last release still gets play from me. Had a lot of prime Ross in there that we don't necessarily get often; Coke Like The 80s & Neighbourhood Drug Dealer are those bangers.

I brought him up in my first GAF-hop post in 2013

No one replied lmao
you deserved that and you know it

I forgot to put Young Thug in my honorables. I'm lying to myself and everyone else by not doing that. Been playing all his recent stuff pretty much non-stop the last month.

And yeah my interest in Danny Brown fell off a bit, as did Schoolboy Q (even though H&C is still my favorite TDE release). Not that I won't check out their new albums or that they're not good anymore, but it's not the same as it was a few years ago. What have you done for me lately and all that.

I have the same thought about DeNiro Farrar. My interest kinda waned after the first patriarch album. He needs a new project with BSBD or something

Cheddahz

Banned
Starlito
Thugger
Earl
Freddie Gibbs
Drake

Honorable Mentions: Ka, Shabazz Palaces, Migos, Curren$y, Kendrick, Sir Michael Rocks, Vince Staples

Ratking would be here if it wasn't for Hak, but their album last year is still one of my favorites of the decade

overcast

You were probably banned. That's why JC.

Surprised at the lack of Ferg, but I guess only Trap Lord does him favors cause his last mixtape sucked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just realized he hasn't realized a substantial project since 2013. I could've sworn The Patriarch 2 was last year.
Deniro Farrar can pique your interest but hardly hold it. Dude has great tone, delivery, relative skill, but for god sakes he needs to diversify his songs a bit. Dude either needs to seek out more producers or work on his songwriting crazy.

He has a spark, and I want to like him, but getting through his shit can be a slog.

Freddie's flow is so great he actually had me replaying a "freestyle" in 2014. Who even does that anymore. The way he rides the beat transition is incredible.

YOUCHOOBDOTCOMSLASHTIMWESTWOODTEEVEE

CRIB SESSION. LETS GO 60 year old man dressing like he's 13

Yeah that freestyle is...whoooo

Dude flows on those drake beats like they were made for him

Fjordson

Freddie's flow is so great he actually had me replaying a "freestyle" in 2014. Who even does that anymore. The way he rides the beat transition is incredible.

YOUCHOOBDOTCOMSLASHTIMWESTWOODTEEVEE
Damn, never seen this. Completely demolished the 0 to 100 beat.

"I didn't mean to blow y'all away like that, but this my job, this what I do"
eskKgMK.png

Deniro Farrar can pique your interest but hardly hold it. Dude has great tone, delivery, relative skill, but for god sakes he needs to diversify his songs a bit. Dude either needs to seek out more producers or work on his songwriting crazy.

He has a spark, and I want to like him, but getting through his shit can be a slog.

I like the vibe he creates with cloud rap production x his vocal tone. There isn't a huge diversity in his sound/structure, true, but it works for me. I think BSBD and Ryan Hemsworth are enough to make an album, but he has to play around with different tempos and levels of energy. Where The Patriarch 2 slipped a little was falling back to the slower hazy sound too much.

Esch

Banned
Gibbs is on most lists not necessarily because he's absolutely making the far and away best stuff out there, he just has the widest appeal for gafhop. Raps about drugs/thug life like an old school 90s east coast rapper but has an updated swag and picks good beats etc

Courage

Freddie Gibbs
Killer Mike
Billy Woods
Kendrick Lamar
Ka

HM: Black Milk, Danny Brown, Curren$y, Earl, Action Bronson, Drake

edit: codhand and esch know whatsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom