• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Chronological order, fam. 1 > 2 > 3. 1 is too raw. Perfect blend of comedy, action, and shit getting real. 2 is pretty good but didn't capture that raw feeling of 1. 3 is pretty bad but hey, you grew up with the films so why not watch it.

Agreed. Now if we are talking about the blooper credits, Count is right.

"Juntao! Woo, I've been lookin for your sweet n sour chicken ass all day!"

9ZdgRFL.gif

ya know Chris Tucker got 11.5 million dollars in debt!? That's amazing to me, because he should be getting annual royalties based on his legendary line deliveries.

Like if there was some crazy ass item in a store that the the owners actually gave you $10 million dollars to buy it from them...Chris Tucker still couldn't afford it. If all his followers gave him $15 bucks, he would still being point-something million in the hole.

Cheddahz

Banned
Too many cycles to respond to but I assure you're almost all wrong and should be deemed clinically insane.

I was kidding about Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City being better than Resident Evil 4, but I still had a blast with ORC
for the better or worse

Koozek

Nibel, do you know of any US Rap that charted high in Germany (besides Em) in the last few years, btw? Just recently asked myself this question when I talked with a friend about how irrelevant it has become over the years in the mainstream here. Feels like the whole 50 Cent/G-Unit/Dipset era was the last time when it was popular. We all ran around with XXL/2XL shirts and bandanas on between '06 and '08, haha.
That Dipset-influenced German rap stuff is hilarious in retrospective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMsfZf9tKHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyO_vgGK6M

After Casper, Cro and Youtube-Battle-Rap contests revitalized German Rap again since around '11 and EDM rose to popularity I honestly don't think the youth here even knows any US rapper besides Em, Jay and Kanye (maybe Drake and not even he is that famous here - has there ever been a huge Drake hit on German charts?). We're living in a world where a wack Youtube-Teenie-Star-turned-rapper like Liont debutes at #1.
OTOH the older mainstream folks in my area are all basically listening to EDM or Minimal/Goa/Psy-Trance, going to every big Electronic festival for years.

Can't blame 'em, though, if we're honest. The whole trill/trap rap isn't really accessible, upbeat/catchy enough for radio. You have to have a feature with Rihanna or whomever as a US rapper to be played on German radio.

Nibel

Nibel, do you know of any US Rap that charted high in Germany (besides Em) in the last few years, btw? Just recently asked myself this question when I talked with a friend about how irrelevant it has become over the years in the mainstream here. Feels like the whole 50 Cent/G-Unit/Dipset era was the last time when it was popular. We all ran around with XXL/2XL shirts and bandanas on between '06 and '08, haha.
That Dipset-influenced German rap stuff is hilarious in retrospective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMsfZf9tKHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyO_vgGK6M

After Casper, Cro and Youtube-Battle-Rap contests revitalized German Rap again since around '11 and EDM rose to popularity I honestly don't think the youth here even knows any US rapper besides Em, Jay and Kanye (maybe Drake and not even he is that famous here - has there ever been a huge Drake hit on German charts?). We're living in a world where a wack Youtube-Teenie-Star-turned-rapper like Liont debutes at #1.
OTOH the older mainstream folks in my area are all basically listening to EDM or Minimal/Goa/Psy-Trance, going to every big Electronic festival for years.

Can't blame 'em, though, if we're honest. The whole trill/trap rap isn't really accessible, upbeat/catchy enough for radio. You have to have a feature with Rihanna or whomever as a US rapper to be played on German radio.

You pretty much nailed it, brudingo.

The thing that has changed the most is that Germans actually fuck with German rap for about 5-10 years now. Like, I remember early 2000's and it was all about American rap and like you said everybody was walking around like they were Dipset in Harlem and tried to . Then came the whole gangster-rap shtick and German rap was dead in 2005-2008, maybe even longer.

The big break came with Marteria, then Casper and then Cro - and Cro is the one who really gave the whole market a new life, even though this is hard to admit since what he does is more pop-focused than just rap (but I gotta admit that dude can spit if he wants).

And since then a German rapper going #1 in the charts has become the norm. This is because you have all these young kids growing up with rap and being interested in it and ready to pay 30-60 Euros for those Deluxe Box editions that count as much as 4-5 CDs afaik. While this generation is really invested in the rap genre and allows a lot of rappers to get bread from music, they have basically no fucking clue about the culture and are waaaay too interested in the social media aspect and gossip.

But this is the thing: because of the social media aspect here in Germany - meaning rappers posting constantly on Facebook, Instagram or publish video blogs on YouTube - this youth builds a whole different connection to a German rap artist than to a US rapper. Like, look at Xatar: I like that dude but 10 years ago he wouldn't have the success he has now; and he has that success because of creating memes like the Mantel thing and giving his audience the feeling of being connected with him 24/7. And this whole image/social-media-marketing thing is why nobody fucks with US rappers anymore.

People who never listen to rap actually do listen to rap now, and I've met a typical metalhead in black shirt and with long hair and all that, and I was shocked when he told me that he fucking loves German rap; not only because of the music, but especially because of what is going on behind the scenes. He compared it to something like Wrestling or the Marvel Universe, saying that it's incredibly entertaining when these grown ass man go up against each other on social media and do their silly videos.

I can't remember the last US rapper charting here or being popular; the only one that comes to mind and that has some kinde of relevance is the boy Drake who is more of a worldwide phenomenon though. But yeah, it's kinda fucking crazy how the entire game changed and nobody giving a shit about the US anymore.

Fjordson

Fallout 4 > your faves
I'm already hyped as hell. Though I knew as soon as I saw the crappy fur on the dog that graphics people would be all over it lol.

But I like that the trailer didn't look unrealistically good like most marketing these days. Might actually run well on my plebstation 4.

World War Free Now!

Yesterday Middle Eastern rapper Narcy aka The Narcicyst released his newest album World War Free Now! This is the artist's seventh album to date. I can describe Narcy's style as a mixture of early 90's rap with some traditional Middle Eastern music though this album has less of it integrated into it. There are political topics present in this album like the artist is known for. On World War he talks about war but not the kind you would assume. The war he is talking about is the one against governments and police forces. He yearns for an age in which the world can be free of these civil wars. He encompasses some good energy and thoughtful lyrics, but I find his flow could be a bit better sometimes and he is devoid of any wordplay. “Free” talks about the positions of civilians in society and how people play two sides of the same coin such as shooter and victim, master and slave. It's a tune that presents both the strides and the faults committed by people to keep ourselves from achieving freedom. Outside of the lyrics World War features some serviceable and also forgettable instrumentals. I say about half of this boom bap/arab production on this album is decent with “Free” and “Nothing” having the best two. This a slightly above average album overall. I found myself only liking ten of the fifteen tracks and none of those ten I found superb, so to recommend this I say alright, just listen to a few and see what it does for you.

6/10

Recommended Tracks: "World War", "Free", & "Nothing"

I really liked Headlights on MMLP2. It felt like a great full circle moment. But outside of that the album is full of the same corny shit he's been doing since I was in high school.

overcast

Rush Hour 2 had great bloopers for sure. I remember watching Rush Hour 3 a day before HS started. Shit had me contemplating if HS was even worth it.

Fallout 4 looks dope. Graphics aren't great but the environments are looking more varied.

Nibel

Killing it as usual. Kingshit. WHEW. Lord have mercy this world ain't ready for this young, wild Canadian stallion
lawd2wsbq.png

VFT6 AOTY contender for sure, I can see it. Filling stadiums and going platinum with a mixtape full of throwaway bangers is just the warm-up, brehs. Shit will be so fire you could even be the element fire itself and still get burned, brehs. Dead serious, dude will deliver the soundtrack we've been waiting for.

Running through the HOP with my posts

Fjordson

Killing it as usual. Kingshit. WHEW. Lord have mercy this world ain't ready for this young, wild Canadian stallion
lawd2wsbq.png

VFT6 AOTY contender for sure, I can see it. Filling stadiums and going platinum with a mixtape full of throwaway bangers is just the warm-up, brehs. Shit will be so fire you could even be the element fire itself and still get burned, brehs. Dead serious, dude will deliver the soundtrack we've been waiting for.

Running through the HOP with my posts
Lmfao.

I honestly think Views will be great, though. Dude has pretty much been on a winning streak since 2011 for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lil Wayne's first single Glory just dropped on Tidal.

I'm feeling this..
Some of these rhymes are cringeworthily awful, especially that doo doo cuckoo you hoo shit I mean come the fuck on.

Feeling the beat though. It's okay overall.

Lmfao.

I honestly think Views will be great, though. Dude has pretty much been on a winning streak since 2011 for me.
I see Kanye falling short of expectations, so Drizzy is definitely set up to take the AotY crown this year. I don't put too much stock in the leaks (which I haven't enjoyed really).

Koozek

You pretty much nailed it, brudingo.

The thing that has changed the most is that Germans actually fuck with German rap for about 5-10 years now. Like, I remember early 2000's and it was all about American rap and like you said everybody was walking around like they were Dipset in Harlem and tried to . Then came the whole gangster-rap shtick and German rap was dead in 2005-2008, maybe even longer.

The big break came with Marteria, then Casper and then Cro - and Cro is the one who really gave the whole market a new life, even though this is hard to admit since what he does is more pop-focused than just rap (but I gotta admit that dude can spit if he wants).

And since then a German rapper going #1 in the charts has become the norm. This is because you have all these young kids growing up with rap and being interested in it and ready to pay 30-60 Euros for those Deluxe Box editions that count as much as 4-5 CDs afaik. While this generation is really invested in the rap genre and allows a lot of rappers to get bread from music, they have basically no fucking clue about the culture and are waaaay too interested in the social media aspect and gossip.

But this is the thing: because of the social media aspect here in Germany - meaning rappers posting constantly on Facebook, Instagram or publish video blogs on YouTube - this youth builds a whole different connection to a German rap artist than to a US rapper. Like, look at Xatar: I like that dude but 10 years ago he wouldn't have the success he has now; and he has that success because of creating memes like the Mantel thing and giving his audience the feeling of being connected with him 24/7. And this whole image/social-media-marketing thing is why nobody fucks with US rappers anymore.

People who never listen to rap actually do listen to rap now, and I've met a typical metalhead in black shirt and with long hair and all that, and I was shocked when he told me that he fucking loves German rap; not only because of the music, but especially because of what is going on behind the scenes. He compared it to something like Wrestling or the Marvel Universe, saying that it's incredibly entertaining when these grown ass man go up against each other on social media and do their silly videos.

I can't remember the last US rapper charting here or being popular; the only one that comes to mind and that has some kinde of relevance is the boy Drake who is more of a worldwide phenomenon though. But yeah, it's kinda fucking crazy how the entire game changed and nobody giving a shit about the US anymore.
On point, dicka.
I actually wanted to mention the Rap slump between '06 and '11, too. Even though '06-'08 were my clique's personal heydays when it comes to Hip-Hop (we rapped and made beats ourselves), the mainstream already started transitioning to Electronic music. House ala. Fedde le Grand & Benny Benassi became popular in wack, small-town discotheques here. US Rap in those years already was pretty niche.

Wow, just checked every #1 Hit in Germany from '06 till '11 on Wiki and the only US Rap songs are:
- Rihanna feat. Jay-Z - Umbrella [2007]
- Eminem feat. Rihanna – Love the Way You Lie [2010]
Granted, only counting #1s is a bit unfair. Still, there wasn't that much in the Top 10 either compared to the early '00s.

WHEW.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Last year I think. Same level of scust

Edit: Actually, I can't front. I probably would prefer listening to a Troy Ave track over anything related to Kidd Kidd. Troy Ave's a cornball nonetheless.
I can recall maybe liking the verse Kidd Kidd had on Animal Ambition.

I can't recall liking anything from Troy Ave.

Was at the bank today and heard a little kid list his Top 5 Best Rappers Right Now. Figured I'd share it:

-Big Sean
-Meek
-Wiz Khalifa
-Lil Durk
-Young Thug
(the chick he was in line with asked why no Drake and he said "Homotional." I shit you not lol)

It got me thinking, who is in your top 5 right now? No legends (Jay, Nas, Andre, etc). Try to focus on dudes making music right now, regardless of their age as long as they're releasing shit in the here-and-now (last few years).

No order:
-Kendrick Lamar
-Roc Marciano
-Ka
-Freddie Gibbs
-Killer Mike
(honorable mentions that barely miss out: Vince Staples and Earl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom