• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

On point, dicka.
I actually wanted to mention the Rap slump between '06 and '11, too. Even though '06-'08 were my clique's personal heydays when it comes to Hip-Hop (we rapped and made beats ourselves), the mainstream already started transitioning to Electronic music. House ala. Fedde le Grand & Benny Benassi became popular in wack, small-town discotheques here. US Rap in those years already was pretty niche.

Wow, just checked every #1 Hit in Germany from '06 till '11 on Wiki and the only US Rap songs are:
- Rihanna feat. Jay-Z - Umbrella [2007]
- Eminem feat. Rihanna – Love the Way You Lie [2010]
Granted, only counting #1s is a bit unfair. Still, there wasn't that much in the Top 10 either compared to the early '00s.

Yup, and those don't even count as 'real' US rap singles tbh since they have Rihanna who is more of a pop icon.

And you're right with the switch to electronic music as well; suddenly Guetta was a superstar and everybody was on electro which was a huge bummer for me since while I like some good electro I always struggled with creating playlists at parties that needed to have enough electro in it so nobody complains against my rap music, lol. It was very often 80% electro, 20% rap/r&b :cryfam:

But yeah, seems like things are way more balanced now. Now that I think about it, it's funny how nobody seems to like to hear new US rap or non-pop-influenced R&B music but everybody loves the classics from Dre and Jodeci etc., weird shit.

All we have now are German rappers who act like clowns most of the time on YouTube and Facebook and do prank buzzings instead of good disstracks, smh

Gibbs is on most lists not necessarily because he's absolutely making the far and away best stuff out there, he just has the widest appeal for gafhop. Raps about drugs/thug life like an old school 90s east coast rapper but has an updated swag and picks good beats etc

Right, its not like Ka, Shabazz, KDot, or even post-Yeezus Ye or Danny Brown, love it or hate "weird"/left-field rap. Gibbs is doing straight up gangsta/mafioso shit, like all your favorite New York rap albums in the 90s. You like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, OB4CL(and if you're in this thread, you do), you'll probably like Gibbs too.

Courage

Vince Staples drops amazing individual tracks but his EP wasn't all that. I also don't revisit his mixtapes that much. His new album will make or break him.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
we doing lists!

top 5 right now

Bronsolino
Curren$y
Gibbs
Kendrick
Ka

They're like, top five dudes I'd drop everything I'm doin to go snatch their latest work or go see live in a heartbeat.

Finally getting around to checking out that new King Louie, it's aight. I fuck with some of these tracks for work out purposes and when I'm burning one down. Just more Drilluminati if you're in the mood for more.

What's the one Fetty project to cop if you were to grab anything from this dude.

MoodyFog

Vince Staples drops amazing individual tracks but his EP wasn't all that.

scust.png

Nibel

- Drake, hit-machine, goofy, goat etc
- Kendrick Lamar, pushes boundaries and is braver than most of his generation, just a cool dude who you wanna hang out with and learn a thing or two
- Gibbs, flows better than Eminem tbh and has the voice of gods, crazy presence and I hope he'll blow up alá RTJ
- Killer Mike, always on point, has a lot of energy and is great in off-topic stuff
- Dunno, because while there are many interesting artists out there that have been mentioned by some of you I am not ready to put any of them on the same level as the ones I mentioned above; Curren$y didn't 100% sold me on PT3, Ka is one of the most impressive rappers from a lyrical perspective right now but kinda seems to put way too little emphasis on the rest, Vince Staples seems like a cool dude and has interesting concepts here and there and so on; but like I said, I don't have a fifth fave right now. Normally I'd put Ye on there but I've been left so untouched by his recent output.. All Day was kinda cool for a week though

I put Gibbs on there mainly because he's one of the best rappers out right now, period. Last project was beyond dope and did exactly what I wanted him to do: diversify. The gangster shit is cool but I was glad to hear him rap about a wide variety of shit, throw in some storytelling, etc. All over dope beats.

It's like with sports, you can tell when someone is just in a zone or in their prime. Gibbs is at that moment to me. Same with Killer Mike. Give these men dope production and back the fuck away. Let them cook.

The last few pages of controversial lists and rankings have brought us all closer together. And mods say list threads are bad for the community.

Meh @ that Fallout 4 trailer btw. They better bring it at E3.

Fjordson

Knew you were a real one. Hope that's console footage.

Release a game in 2015 w/no aa or af and struggle 2009 textures brehs.
Let us console plebs live plz. I'm optimistic this won't be a slideshow or a total technical mess on PS4 after seeing the trailer. I mean even a great game like Witcher 3 struggles with this. Shit hits like 12 FPS in a few areas.

I'm sure it'll look better on PC. Even if it's by force from modders lol.

DominoKid

Was at the bank today and heard a little kid list his Top 5 Best Rappers Right Now. Figured I'd share it:

-Big Sean
-Meek
-Wiz Khalifa
-Lil Durk
-Young Thug
(the chick he was in line with asked why no Drake and he said "Homotional." I shit you not lol)

It got me thinking, who is in your top 5 right now? No legends (Jay, Nas, Andre, etc). Try to focus on dudes making music right now, regardless of their age as long as they're releasing shit in the here-and-now (last few years).

No order:
-Kendrick Lamar
-Roc Marciano
-Ka
-Freddie Gibbs
-Killer Mike
(honorable mentions that barely miss out: Vince Staples and Earl)

Lil Durk lmao no way.

Future
Drake
Young Thug

everybody else is 2nd tier.

illadelph

Curren$y
Drake
Kendrick
Big Sean
Big KRIT

I have to actually listen to a full Gibbs project before I can list him, but literally everything I've ever heard from him is flames

It's not even just the graphics tbh, it was an underwhelming trailer all around. Like if they have some amazing 15 minute demo at E3 showing all kinds of dynamic interaction and world state changing, I'll be fine with the 2010 graphics, but that trailer was a bunch of nothing. Could've told me it was a Fallout 3/NV texture mod trailer and I'd be like "Yeah OK, I believe that."

EDIT: Maybe I'm over videogame trailers. I need gameplay.

Koozek

Only got a Top ̶3̶4, right now, as there aren't many rappers that I listen to for more than just a loose song here and there nowadays:

Young Thug (the recent leaks are the most fun I had with rap for a while - just ignore the lyrics and enjoy the wild flows and micro-melodies)
Drake (the rawer half of IYRTITL was dope)
Kendrick Lamar (though only for his albums - I don't like his recent features)
EDIT: Forgot about Action Bronson

I forgot to put Young Thug in my honorables. I'm lying to myself and everyone else by not doing that. Been playing all his recent stuff pretty much non-stop the last month.

Dito.

Fjordson

I'm admittedly easy to please with open-world games so I just want a dope world and some good quests. I think it'll fine in that respect since Fallout is such a rich universe.

The internet gon' be mad when it's basically just an improved Fallout 3 and sells 25 mill, though.

I'm admittedly easy to please with open-world games so I just want a dope world and some good quests. I think it'll fine in that respect since Fallout is such a rich universe.

The internet gon' be mad when it's basically just an improved Fallout 3 and sells 25 mill, though.

The one thing Bethesda has going for them, which Des touched on in a post a few pages ago, is that their games are very open ended in moment-to-moment gameplay. That's what can lead to all those bugs and random scenarios we all laugh at. The only way the graphics in the FO4 trailer are acceptable, IMO, is if they're blowing the game wide open with what they do best and provide truly next-gen world design and interaction. Systems on top of systems on top of systems.

If this is FO3 reskinned awww man, I'm done.

Fjordson

The one thing Bethesda has going for them, which Des touched on in a post a few pages ago, is that their games are very open ended in moment-to-moment gameplay. That's what can lead to all those bugs and random scenarios we all laugh at. The only way the graphics in the FO4 trailer are acceptable, IMO, is if they're blowing the game wide with what they do best and provide truly next-gen world design and interaction. Systems on top of systems on top of systems.

If this is FO3 reskinned awww man, I'm done.
I'm hoping they go all out with that stuff, but I dunno. Feel like they might be conservative here.

But I could be wrong. At least there aren't any last gen versions. That's a good sign.

Kendrick
Ka
Freddie Gibbs
Curren$y
Killer Mike

Shoutouts to Earl, Black Milk, Roc Marci, Vince Staples, Q (Oxy was whatever, but he'll recover...right?), Bronsolini, etc.

I heavily fuck with YC the Cynic (peep GNK brehs!) but he's so sporadic with his drops.

Isn't the lead writer of New Vegas doing Guerrilla's RPG? Gonna be interesting to see how that develops in comparison to your typical Bethesda affair. Should be at E3...

holy shit is this the worst XXL freshman list ever or what

also missed that MMLP2 talk a page or two back but Brainless was good as were the bonus tracks (why the hell they weren't on the album I'll never know)

also missed that MMLP2 talk a page or two back but Brainless was good as were the bonus tracks (why the hell they weren't on the album I'll never know)

Brainless, Rhyme or Reason, and Baby are the only ones that actually sound like a followup to the first MMLP. His flow is A+ on those and the sound is vintage Em.

So Much Better, Evil Twin, Groundhog Day, and Wicked Ways sound like Encore leftovers aka: A hint of The Eminem Show but clearly not as good.

The rest is terrible modern Eminem.

It's not even just the graphics tbh, it was an underwhelming trailer all around. Like if they have some amazing 15 minute demo at E3 showing all kinds of dynamic interaction and world state changing, I'll be fine with the 2010 graphics, but that trailer was a bunch of nothing. Could've told me it was a Fallout 3/NV texture mod trailer and I'd be like "Yeah OK, I believe that."

EDIT: Maybe I'm over videogame trailers. I need gameplay.

as soon as i saw that struggle dog animation i knew we were in for another mediocre looking bethesda game (pre-mod of course). they make really fun games to explore in but i'd put them below CD Projekt and Rockstar for world design tbh. like the fallout 3 campaign was so crap lol, but i still had a lot of fun messing around in that world.

BlackJace

No order:

Pusha T
Killer Mike
Curren$y
Ross (I'm sorry, I can't explain)
Kendrick

HMs: KRIT, Earl
Freddie's flow is so great he actually had me replaying a "freestyle" in 2014. Who even does that anymore. The way he rides the beat transition is incredible.

YOUCHOOBDOTCOMSLASHTIMWESTWOODTEEVEE

0 to 100 belongs to him.

EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

tde's so incompetent when it comes to anything but kendrick. like..where the hell is druggys with hoes 3? they could at least release that online regardless of sample issues.

jay rock has no career, ab soul killed his god flow with drugs and aliens, Q...I dunno, oxy killed the hype even though HnC is best TDE album.

No order:

Pusha T
Killer Mike
Curren$y
Ross (I'm sorry, I can't explain)
Kendrick

HMs: KRIT, Earl

0 to 100 belongs to him.

EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif
Why apologize? Rozay has a good sonic vibe with the right production behind him. Cigar Music is one the best rap songs Ive heard from the post 2000s era.

tde's so incompetent when it comes to anything but kendrick. like..where the hell is druggys with hoes 3? they could at least release that online regardless of sample issues.

jay rock has no career, ab soul killed his god flow with drugs and aliens, Q...I dunno, oxy killed the hype even though HnC is best TDE album.

Quality takes time. That is why TDE is the best, jay rock will drop a classic.

effzee

As asiatic original men (black men) we overlook how popular country music is. Multiple country artists do huge album sales numbers yearly, the tours are successful, and the demand is so high that their songs are penetrating the Billboard 100 charts despite not getting any play on many pop stations.

I'd agree hip hop is dominating a lot of culture in terms of look and sound (notice the trap influences in a lot of edm pop now) but ultimately that "other world" of mainstream pop is far bigger. Only Drake, Kanye, Eminem, Nicki, and Jay exist in that world.

Agreed on Country music. It never even crosses my mind and I constantly forget it when thinking of genres. I guess this is how people who don't "get" rap feel.

But the pop world, by definition and appeal, will always be a bigger "other world". But if you look at what is borrows most from and collaborates most with its hip-hop.

holy shit is this the worst XXL freshman list ever or what

All the bonus tracks were better than the songs which made the album minus that weird country sounding song. I just wish the right producer/artist was guiding him.

EDIT: Also fans voted in Kidd Kidd?

Kidd Kidd?
Fans?

Kidd Kidd the kid that kid 50 Cent was trying to pass off?

And am I the only who thinks Dej Loaf sounds like a 12 year old boy going through puberty?

I don't understand why Eminem doesn't branch out. He's such a hip hop head, he listens to a lot of stuff...so why is he constantly rapping over the most basic pop rap piano ballads and the jumbled faux arena rap of Khalil? Alchemist is his tour DJ and plays beats for him all the time...

He's at a point where he doesn't need radio singles - whatever he releases will get play. I find it hard to believe he sits around thinking "man, this track would work so perfect with a Rihanna hook. Maybe we could go on tour too."

Cudder

I'm surprised at the few people who mentioned KRIT on their lists. I stan KRIT harder than anyone here and that last album was a serious misstep, enough so that it would knock him OUT of my top 5 right now.

DominoKid

I don't understand why Eminem doesn't branch out. He's such a hip hop head, he listens to a lot of stuff...so why is he constantly rapping over the most basic pop rap piano ballads and the jumbled faux arena rap of Khalil? Alchemist is his tour DJ and plays beats for him all the time...

He's at a point where he doesn't need radio singles - whatever he releases will get play. I find it hard to believe he sits around thinking "man, this track would work so perfect with a Rihanna hook. Maybe we could go on tour too."

feel no pressure to do better brehs.

the weirdest thing about eminem's struggle beats is how tight he is with alchemist. we're all well aware how god-tier he is with production

and yet eminem never gets any of his good stuff, like is he even aware of his talent or what?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the weirdest thing about eminem's struggle beats is how tight he is with alchemist. we're all well aware how god-tier he is with production

and yet eminem never gets any of his good stuff, like is he even aware of his talent or what?
Alchemist has copped to not taking any effort to get beats to Em many times.

He's totally cool keeping a blunt in his mouth and working with pretty much any rapper that approaches him with a blunt in their mouth.

I'm surprised at the few people who mentioned KRIT on their lists. I stan KRIT harder than anyone here and that last album was a serious misstep, enough so that it would knock him OUT of my top 5 right now.
KRIT always comes through with the tapes though. I think he's still by miles one of the most consistent in the game, it's just never a big event, y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom