• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
didnt care much for the album but even i had to admit Travis blacked out on this track

1f525.png
tumblr_lvri6xyOjW1qap72po1_250.gif

Nibel

Listening to Days Before Rodeo again, and tbh some of that shit just straight bangs; Drugs You Should Try, Skyfall, Backyard

h3h7vnmuzo.gif

Koozek

Days Before Rodeo had the most spins last year for me, haha. Straight flames. Felt like you were sleeping on it, though, brehs.

Mamacita and Skyfall were two of the best tracks released last year. Certified ������.
!

HiResDes

Days Before Rodeo received more love than any tape with such garbage rapping deserves landing in the top ten even. Not really trying to hate because some of the beats and hooks are great, but I tapes like Banco, God Complex and Small VVorld were more consistent. And I'm still surprised Comfort Zone never received the love it deserved.

Nibel

To me listening to Travis Scott is like listening to pop-music, I don't expect any lyrical masterpieces or powerful storytelling that makes me rethink life but music that is well produced and has a certain vibe to it. Not that I listen to any pop-music in particular, but this is what comes to mind and for me this comparison kinda works.

Wonder if he'll stick around in 2015-2016 or just vanish like all the others

Koozek

To me listening to Travis Scott is like listening to pop-music, I don't expect any lyrical masterpieces or powerful storytelling that makes me rethink life but music that is well produced and has a certain vibe to it. Not that I listen to any pop-music in particular, but this is what comes to mind and for the this comparison kinda works.

Exactly. It's about the vibe. Like with Thugga Thugga. I don't even know what he says 90% of the time but I'm having a blast.

Travis Scott has to be the most irrelevant poser in music today. Thugger, Quan, etc are running laps on him commercially and in terms of general influence, all while he and his delusional fans give him credit for shit others have been doing.
Days Before Rodeo received more love than any tape with such garbage rapping deserves landing in the top ten even. Not really trying to hate because some of the beats and hooks are great, but I tapes like Banco, God Complex and Small VVorld were more consistent. And I'm still surprised Comfort Zone never received the love it deserved.

Didn't you have Yeezus in your top ten that year?
YGi67ba.png

DominoKid

To me listening to Travis Scott is like listening to pop-music, I don't expect any lyrical masterpieces or powerful storytelling that makes me rethink life but music that is well produced and has a certain vibe to it. Not that I listen to any pop-music in particular, but this is what comes to mind and for me this comparison kinda works.

He'll be around for a few years. Breh is driving Pusha and Big Sean sounds plus he's in good w/ the ATL trap scene and the OVO crew. Breh might be a poser but he's a well liked one in the industry.

HiResDes

Travis Scott has to be the most irrelevant poser in music today. Thugger, Quan, etc are running laps on him commercially and in terms of general influence, all while he and his delusional fans give him credit for shit others have been doing.

Didn't you have Yeezus in your top ten that year?
YGi67ba.png
Yeezus showcased Travis' best writing and the summit of his lyrical potential.

Esch

Banned
Yeezus showcased Travis' best writing and the summit of his lyrical potential.
lmao

Gotta admit the relationship is funny. Imagine if DJ Premier took one of his biggest dikkriders(say, 9th Wonder) during his 'prime' and had him make his music.

Nibel

Would you guys care if Jay Electronica would release an album?

Or, let me ask it this way since most here listen to everything anyway: are you excited to see him drop something or is that train long gone?

DominoKid

we still care. dont let the clowning fool you.

Vince Staples Reveals "Summertime '06" Will Be A Double LP, Shares New Tracklist (looks like it'll be coming out on the 30th too)

Disc 1

1. Ramona Park Legend Pt. 1
2. Lift Me Up
3. Norf Norf
4. Birds & Bees
5. Loca
6. Lemme Know
7. Dopeman
8. Jump Off The Roof
9. Señorita
10. Summertime

Disc 2

1. Ramona Park Legend Pt 2
2. 3230
3. Surf
4. Might Be Wrong
5. Get Paid
6. Street Punks
7. Hang N Bang
8. Coldest N*gga Breathing
9. Like It Is
10. ’06

a double album from a breh that can barely make a good album worth of material? this will not end well.

I'm pretty sure Vince is about to drop something special

He's an S-tier story teller with an excellent ear for beats that's been given what appears to be complete creative control. He's hungry.

I think at the end of the year his album will be in the conversation for AOTY.

I really hope there's a Kendrick feature.

we still care. dont let the clowning fool you.

a double album from a breh that can barely make a good album worth of material? this will not end well.

Shyne Coldchain 2 and Hell Can Wait came out in the same year... the best tracks from those projects together would've been a great album. Stolen Youth was crazy, and he's probably putting way more effort into this as it's his debut. Also 20 tracks is barely a double album tbh.

Or, let me ask it this way since most here listen to everything anyway: are you excited to see him drop something or is that train long gone?

In all honesty I don't think I could stop myself from being excited if it just randomly dropped one day. I'd have to listen and most likely, ultimately decide it wasn't worth the wait. But I have no way to know when or if it will ever be released, so I only remember it whenever it's brought up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
La Flame 🐐

AotY 3rd year in a row will be tough, but I'm not counting him out since we don't have the greatest handle on what Rodeo will be like.

straight up

I'll listen to whatever he'll drop, but I'm just not waiting for it anymore. There's so much more out there to listen to. Will always be a Jay Elec fan but I'm never gonna listen to that nigga's promises ever again.

He may be a shit rapper but the production on Travis's last projects were dope and had some legit bangers I'm definitely looking forward to Rodeo.

Oh I heard about Vince's album being a double one most likely each cd is about thirty minutes. His projects never go over that time.

PBY

Banned
Haven't been sober at all this weekend. Drake- surprisingly AWESOME live. PD, you'd love his breath control. Festivals are so crushing tho, running on fumes.

An L for Sean, and an L for much of hip hop tbh. Nearly every r&b or rap song on the radio revolves around objectifying women. And not in a "sexy chick I'm pursuing/want to fuck/want to marry/whatever" way, which I don't really have a problem with. But in a "you're literally an object, like a car, and you belong to me" way. Usually I'm not one to defend tumblr hand wringing but jesus, this shit is ugly. And repetitive. Does every radio rap song need the line "you're a bad bitch and you know it"?

I'm curious, what will it take for female empowerment/feminism views to make an impact on music? And not in a fake or contradicting way, ala Beyonce. Women buy most music, and clearly are cosigning these wack songs. It's really weird that this might be a period in music with the least amount of "love" songs on the radio.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
An L for Sean, and an L for much of hip hop tbh. Nearly every r&b or rap song on the radio revolves around objectifying women. And not in a "sexy chick I'm pursuing/want to fuck/want to marry/whatever" way, which I don't really have a problem with. But in a "you're literally an object, like a car, and you belong to me" way. Usually I'm not one to defend tumblr hand wringing but jesus, this shit is ugly. And repetitive. Does every radio rap song need the line "you're a bad bitch and you know it"?

I'm curious, what will it take for female empowerment/feminism views to make an impact on music? And not in a fake or contradicting way, ala Beyonce. Women buy most music, and clearly are cosigning these wack songs. It's really weird that this might be a period in music with the least amount of "love" songs on the radio.
I mean, you've kind of proved to us multiple times over the past year you really have no idea what's even on the radio, likely not even having turned it on once in the past few years.

More seriously: not much. It's very akin to the beauty industry in how it creates a sort of dependency cycle within consumers. Open insecurities, degrade them, make them find validation in your product, sell product, counterbalance with an opposing perspective briefly while still keeping you attached to the narrative so there is no lasting impact (i.e. All About That Bass), repeat.

For what it's worth, I think rappers like Nicki are helpful in challenging the status quo. Yes, we all know Nicki is a product, even physically, of the materialization of women, but she also makes female empowerment anthems that put women in the control seat within the culture and that is also kind of helping swing hip-hop a bit closer to the middle. Even stuff like 23 with the hook that it has is helpful, but won't be enough to break the cycle because it's still completely in that objectifying narrative.

Yall are right.

These rappers stay getting exposed as pieces of shit, too. Why even get in a relationship if you legitimately don't believe you have any obligations to that person, or that they deserve respect. Sean will move on, release a song dissing Grande in some ugly way, and find another celeb chick. scust

Haven't been sober at all this weekend. Drake- surprisingly AWESOME live. PD, you'd love his breath control. Festivals are so crushing tho, running on fumes.

Daps to Drake. If you're a performer you should be able to preform. Which means being in decent enough shape to give a performance, and have some god damn breath control. And if you don't have breath control get a hype man to finish your sentences for you.

Nibel

Drake is phenomenal live.

About that Sean situation: that tweet is already exploding so crazy, no matter what he says or who is right she clearly takes the W

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah Sean definitely is taking an L there.

Don't think there is even a way to recover from/respond to that. It's a two way street though, because Sean has been talking that nonsense forever and she still dated him fully knowing that and reciting his lyrics in a video that went viral, etc. I guess that doesn't matter as much, but still.

Nibel

Don't think there is even a way to recover from/respond to that. It's a two way street though, because Sean has been talking that nonsense forever and she still dated him fully knowing that and reciting his lyrics in a video that went viral, etc. I guess that doesn't matter as much, but still.

Don't get me wrong, she is a huge hypocrite and we all know it, but she spoke the truth and yeah; Sean about to drop to Thugger numbers if he doesn't get the next big celeb

fixed for Em

You really had to remind all of us of that trash huh
Didn't expect anything else from M ajested's soul brother

DominoKid

Don't think there is even a way to recover from/respond to that.
It's a two way street though, because Sean has been talking that nonsense forever and she still dated him fully knowing that and reciting his lyrics in a video that went viral, etc. I guess that doesn't matter as much, but still.

act like it never happened cause it's inconsequential to his movement. keep firing musically.
they both got the status boost they needed out of that relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom