• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

8 minutes

of Travis Scott

1W7nJRj.gif

song is decent tho

HiiiLife

Apparently Denzel is dropping his next shit tomorrow? Sweet. Enjoyed N64. Guess I'll peep what this Goldlink is about till then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's five producers on that Travis track, worst Kanye trend since the shutter shades man
Best trend, since there's no actual downside aside from traumatizing people OCD about how many square inches of space the liner notes take. The more producers collaborating the better, just like artists.

Best trend, since there's no actual downside aside from traumatizing people OCD about how many square inches of space the liner notes take. The more producers collaborating the better, just like artists.

It's leading to homogenisation, I knew exactly how this beat would sound before pressing play.
Producers distinct styles and sounds are lost in these hodgepodge collaborations.
Nobody sounds like them, though everybody now sounds the same. Not sure how that's for the better...

lol

I can understand having another producer do something specific on a track, for instance Kanye had Timbaland do the drums on Stronger to make them thump harder. But having multiple producers stacking layers on top of a track is ridiculous. Not only from a business perspective (fucks up royalties) but from a musical perspective because it almost always lead to overproduction and grandiosity.

Anything to distract from the wack rhymes I guess.

Courage

It's leading to homogenisation, I knew exactly how this beat would sound before pressing play.
Producers distinct styles and sounds are lost in these hodgepodge collaborations.
Nobody sounds like them, though everybody now sounds the same. Not sure how that's for the better...
I see what you're saying but if there's a certain direction a track is aiming for, it doesn't necessarily have to be homogenized. Unfortunately, Travis doesn't look like a creative dude so his producers carry him most of the time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lol

I can understand having another producer do something specific on a track, for instance Kanye had Timbaland do the drums on Stronger to make them thump harder. But having multiple producers stacking layers on top of a track is ridiculous. Not only from a business perspective (fucks up royalties) but from a musical perspective because it almost always lead to overproduction and grandiosity.

Anything to distract from the wack rhymes I guess.
So what if it's two things? Like Metro laid the beat, Zaytoven did some keys and then Mike Dean did the outro/beat switch? Where is the cut off line for what is appropriate? Because every time this is brought up it's always primarily a non-creative argument against it.

If it sounds good, and people are obviously fine with getting their cut (why is this even a point?), what's wrong? I don't see any evidence of it leading to overproduction either, a term that's been wrung out of all meaning long ago. Same with the negative connotation to grandiosity. Bullshit all around.

I see what you're saying but if there's a certain direction a track is aiming for, it doesn't necessarily have to be homogenized. Unfortunately, Travis doesn't look like a creative dude so his producers carry him most of the time.
This post makes no sense. Dude was producing super synth heavy/electronic stuff at the start of his career, and Owl Pharoah has a fairly diverse swath of production. Very long samples chopped up (we need more of this in hip hop in general), songs with understated drums to some that are very punchy, trap stuff, some middle way electronic and boom bap stuff. Extend that to the leaked version or whatever it's called and the variety doubles.

Oh and just another point is that Travis Scott also retouches almost all of the beats he gets from others, you can see he's been working with Metro Boomin very closely. Hes not the only one who does this, but the fact that it's a point that more than x number of people in the studio having an opinion is correlated with shit getting inherently grandiose and overproduced is inherently laughable. Especially coming off of Yeezus' which's big point was to strip away extraneous sounds and make drums more sparse. It's both an ecologically invalid and primarily stylistic complaint.

Courage

This post makes no sense. Dude was producing super synth heavy/electronic stuff at the start of his career, and Owl Pharoah has a fairly diverse swath of production. Very long samples chopped up (we need more of this in hip hop in general), songs with understated drums to some that are very punchy, trap stuff, some middle way electronic and boom bap stuff. Extend that to the leaked version or whatever it's called and the variety doubles.

I'm talking about the ability to direct his own project and having some kind of vision. Unless Rodeo proves me wrong, he's pretty by the numbers, showcasing nothing that helps him stand out other than his production. His rapping mostly sucks, his use of autotune (which is excessive) is messy, and this is what lone Travis Scott production sounds like.

The facts don't lie. Most of his songs are composed by more than 2 producers, and I'm wary on how much he influences those tracks. I feel it's an argument his stans use as a crutch whenever someone doubts his wack rap skills and general lack of identity.

As many have said before me, he is a wack Kanye/Cudi hybrid. Even wacker than Cudi believe it or not.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm talking about the ability to direct his own project and having some kind of vision. Unless Rodeo proves me wrong, he's pretty by the numbers, showcasing nothing that helps him stand out other than his production. His rapping mostly sucks, his use of autotune (which is excessive) is messy, and this is what lone Travis Scott production sounds like.

The facts don't lie. Most of his songs are composed by more than 2 producers, and I'm wary on how much he influences those tracks. I feel it's an argument his stans use as a crutch whenever someone doubts his wack rap skills and general lack of identity.

As many have said before me, he is a wack Kanye/Cudi hybrid. Even wacker than Cudi believe it or not.
He's pretty good at creating vibes, y'know, the shit people give every other rapper a pass for. But suddenly La Flame needs vision! Higher purpose! It's not that serious. Dude makes a variety of good songs and always has bar Cruis'n USA. Also, I don't agree with the autotune complaints. Dude uses it pretty similar to Ye as far as how he distorts and layers it. To say he doesn't have identity is funny considering the caricatures thrown around of him often too, but I'll take that since he's pretty much the KTT member that made it. I don't get the CuDi comparisons at all, they're nothing alike stylistically.

I mean, I feel you. Who could stan an artist with such a singular vision? Subpar raps? Production as a crutch for incompetencies elsewhere in their skill set? Such that one would question how much the MC on the track even matters? And to top it off such a basic identity that is inarguably homogenous to the genre and culture surrounding it? Man, can you imagine the mental guards that would have to be placed to protect oneself from such a revelation? Is such a thing even possible?
gHPtU.png

DominoKid

He's pretty good at creating vibes, y'know, the shit people give every other rapper a pass for. But suddenly La Flame needs vision! Higher purpose! It's not that serious. Dude makes a variety of good songs and always has bar Cruis'n USA. Also, I don't agree with the autotune complaints. Dude uses it pretty similar to Ye as far as how he distorts and layers it. To say he doesn't have identity is funny considering the caricatures thrown around of him often too, but I'll take that since he's pretty much the KTT member that made it. I don't get the CuDi comparisons at all, they're nothing alike stylistically.

I mean, I feel you. Who could stan an artist with such a singular vision? Subpar raps? Production as a crutch for incompetencies elsewhere in their skill set? Such that one would question how much the MC on the track even matters? And to top it off such a basic identity that is inarguably homogenous to the genre and culture surrounding it? Man, can you imagine the mental guards that would have to be placed to protect oneself from such a revelation? Is such a thing even possible?
gHPtU.png
Whoa dere Enzoes.

Esch

Banned
On Spitta's identity:

There ain't really another stoner lane rapper who makes music as motivation/hustle/business focused. He blends the role spectrum of user and seller better than any other. In that sense he brings the everyman component that's always missing from 99.99% of drug sales rapping. The lies are usually a ways too tall. The ballin too big, the hoes too many in number, the weight being moved too massive (see: Rick Ross). He brings it to a more concrete level. He paints the perfect picture of how you can start as a dude who just likes to puff blunts moving to sell eights to smoke for 'free' to selling ounces/kilos for the extra cash or something for your car or for bills, and then on top of that there's the delusion, the fantasy ; the 5 figure 2015 whips, the trips, the Jets.

But the intrinsic essence / attitude of it is small scale and therefore recognizable. After all nobody here knows an international Don Escobar with a fleet of cars or goons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom